Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

I also have to laugh at any organisation/union/Politician at this stage advocating for any kind of ‘staggered return’ to anything. It is a lazy, can kicking exercise that just delays the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Be right back

True, but I can't see how they can justify restrictions this time with a milder version circulating this time. I know some many with it this time round with very mild symptoms, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf they went 100% normal. Only thing I saw there when I went in October was some stickers saying to social distance that just hadn't been removed and hand sanitizer stations. It was pretty much 2019 there anywhere I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

It’s a big conservative, but essentially it reverses by the end of the month the restrictions introduced in December and then moved quickly towards what was planned for 22 October.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Beyond 22nd October hopefully. Booking tickets 24 hours before attending nightclubs is futile bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

@Knine went online at 12 and managed to get a PCR for my husband. Thank you. I'll keep trying every half hour to get one for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

5 day restricted movements

3 antigen tests

i am the same! HSE website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Genuine question. I have symptoms and I've a positive antegen test, as does my wife. We are trying to get a pcr test but it is impossible. Can someone tell me if it's absolutely necessary. Happy to do the isolation until we're not showing symptoms and are passing antegen tests. Do we need a PCR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

I was in Copenhagen last September. I said 99% mainly because vaccine certs were checked at the airport and masks were mandatory inside the terminal building. There were covid test centres around also but otherwise it was like 2019. It was such a pleasant escape from Covid.

They actually removed the requirement to wear masks on flights within Scandinavia in October but I presume that's changed again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Whether it's government sanctioned or not a return to school Thursday is going to be staggered with the shear amount of absences of students and staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

My local hospital is in chaos. Big Covid numbers plus local ward outbreaks. My monthly infusion that keeps me out of a&e has been cancelled. They have turned day services into a ward.

Father was admitted to a&e on Thursday. After 22 hours he was found a bed so he could be CT scanned and be examined by respiratory team. On Saturday they closed his ward due to lack of staff and doubled up another ward. He is being discharged tomorrow without the scan or seeing the respiratory team. Got no answers from the nurse, was told to make an appointment to see the consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,754 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If you're prepared to self isolate, it's not an issue at all. Lots of people must have contracted Covid symptoms in the last year and simply took themselves out of circulation, rather than go through the hassle of going for a PCR test.

The only reckless thing would be showing up at work or indoor gatherings / venues or whatever whilst knowingly having Covid-like symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I was expecting more than wishful thinking.

Perhaps projected case / hospital / ICU numbers showing the effect on our healthcare system and projected case + close contact numbers needing to isolate and restrict movements, it's impact on business and show that your suggestion would be better than the status quo in its outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

This won't be me.

I've blocked the Hse text number. I will hang up from any calls I ever get off them. Unless I've Symptoms and +ve antigen then it's a No from me.

The evidence is there. This variant is milder, we have a high degree of vaccinations, we will have come through the period where mixing is greatest (Christmas), ICU numbers are ok and hospitalisations are manageable. This means we should move away from emergency measures - the emergency is over and normality needs to return.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Media and unions back full swing today! Sounds like, from the first 15 minutes of Morning Ireland, over the next 24 hours they will have the schools shut! Lots of concerns and threats!!!

GPs saying this is a community disease. It is milder with this variant. But indeed Morning Ireland are whipping up the negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭prunudo

So for the last 10 days or so, people have got on with living. Shop workers have contuined on, hospitality have worked on within their constraints, family and friends have met together, hospital numbers have been relatively stable. And yet now we see the panic from the usual suspects, stoking fear, wanting the rest of the country to dance to their tune. Hopefully the government will hold firm because if they give into unions we won't be getting back to normality any time soon.

Very unfortunate but it sounds like the health service is back to its dysfunctional normality. Although clearly change is needed for isolation periods for the new variant to address staffing shortages.

How is your father now?

Probably only necessary if you are over 39, are not boosted, and want a PCR for evidence for welfare, sick leave or travel purposes. If 39 or under, you can apply for an antigen test to be sent to you although good chance that when you get it symptoms will be over and it will show negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One would wonder at the geniuses behind this thing. You can't advocate a major plan two days before it's going to happen, yet as others have said the stance is sadly and utterly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Jizique

Doctor on NT saying she has seen worse flu seasons - the biggest problem the unions have is how widespread the "disease" is, most now realise that Omicron is not particularly severe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I do have massive respect what teachers do, they’re vital to how society works! But they need to wind their necks back in! Ever since this all started it’s been teachers complaining left right and centre! Their unions are even worse, ever since they put their claim in for the pandemic bonus there hasn’t been a dicky bird about it! Frontline workers ie HCW, retail supermarket etc deserve a lot more the. A teacher who taught over zoom!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Teacher unions being a pain is hardly new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Question is will the government be strong or weak

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Need advice, my baby contracted had positive covid test on 25th December.

Our creche has told us it's 14 days isolation for unvaccinated under 4 years olds is this correct? I don't see any guidance on website for this

I can only see close contacts need to isolate for 14 days in this instance but not confirmed cases.

Can anyone confirm exact rules here?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sounds like your creche making its own rules. I certainly have never seen mention of 14 days in any guidance (at any stage).

Seems it's 14 days for close contact of positive case where child is unvaccinated and under age of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Any positive case is 10days isolation. Have you an additional child going to the same creche maybe that’s where 14days came from as close contacts are 14 or 17 days

• Advertisement

No additional kids. He was a confirmed positive on 25th, so has cleared his isolation period.

They said it just recently changed on HSE guidelines to 14 days where child is under 3 and unvaccinated with no booster.

Im sure it used to be 14 days for close contacts who may start showing signs of covid later but can't find exact link on current HSE guidelines.

Advertisement