Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Avon8 wrote: »
    They cancelled the outdoor 6 nations game on a Saturday and yet he decided to hold the indoor anti-alcohol event of 1,000 people + on the Monday -Wednesday afterwards. Now much was unknown about the virus and indoor v outdoor back then but you'd have imagined our CMO would've had the good sense to cancel an unnecessary event flying hundreds of people in from dozens of countries.

However he was a guest speaker and it's a cause he's very passionate about

Before using something as supporitng eveidence you should first ask the question does the evidence say what you think it says.

To do this you must ask yourself why the 2020 Six Nations game against Italy cancelled. Was it
    a. all large scale sporting events were cancelled at that time
    or
    b. large portions of the crowd were coming from Italy where the epicentre of the virus in Europe was at the time

In fairness, the real inference is that he is using Covid as an opportunity to push an anti-alcohol agenda, with all that implies.

The inference I have drawn is some people are gone full on tinfoil hat

Ireland has a very unhealty relationship with alcohol, and it should be addressed. the CMO is exactly the person that should be working to address this.

Wishing drinking thinking. Some people are not content unless the enjoyment of others is stifled, a schoolmarmish archetype that unfortunately is rather prevalent in Ireland. At the top, Tony Holohan the zealot who has been vociferously anti-alcohol for over a decade. Here's a novel idea, if one is not a fan of pub culture then simply steer clear. This indignant attitude of "it should be addressed" is pure projection. I'm not into smoking, that doesn't mean I have a right to meddle in the affairs of others who do. Mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

TheDoctor wrote: »
    271 cases..... not good enough.

The next two weeks are critical...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,786 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wishing drinking thinking. Some people are not content unless the enjoyment of others is stifled, a schoolmarmish archetype that unfortunately is rather prevalent in Ireland. At the top, Tony Holohan the zealot who has been vociferously anti-alcohol for over a decade. Here's a novel idea, if one is not a fan of pub culture then simply steer clear. This indignant attitude of "it should be addressed" is pure projection. I'm not into smoking, that doesn't mean I have a right to meddle in the affairs of others who do. Mind your own business.

I dunno.

I thinkt he Chief Medical Officer of the country should probably be involved in issues of public health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1402282219071225857

As of midnight, Monday 7 June, we are reporting
    271*
    confirmed cases of #COVID19.

27 in ICU. 77 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

We currently in a very precarious epidemiological situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gas how there's no distinction being made by many posters between the CMO being anti alcohol in the sense that excessive alcohol consumption and abuse is a public health problem and being just anti-alcohol generally, which is a totally different thing. A distinction obvious to anyone, or so I would have thought.

To use an example, you can be anti speeding or anti dangerous driving, which doesn't mean you are anti car in general.

I wonder are there actual adults posting in here at all. Some of the arguments you read are just too stupid at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

His view on excessive and most other peoples are likely quite different.
    I don't think that is the mic-drop comment you think it is.

:confused:

Not sure what you mean, your comment must be too clever for me, but I was simply saying that Holohan's view on what constitutes excessive alcohol consumption versus the majority of people is likely quite different. Feel free to disagree with me (but you'd be wrong ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

271. I'm guessing but that must be lowest for a long time. December?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any rough time scale when we'll be back to true reported figures. Presumably they're still working off the swabs which is still a good indicator but are we setting ourselves for a glut of added cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

prunudo wrote: »
    Any rough time scale when we'll be back to true reported figures. Presumably they're still working off the swabs which is still a good indicator but are we setting ourselves for a glut of added cases?
    They seem to be consistent so probably not that much. TBH they'll be historical data anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭corkie

prunudo wrote: »

corkie wrote: »
    That changed from the 25th of May.

"Case numbers were reported based on the number of positive results reported from laboratories adjusted for any duplication. Further work was undertaken to develop a more robust process for daily case numbers and from 25 May 2021 daily case numbers are based on a data extract from the Covid Care Tracker."
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/be7fe-updated-covid-19-case-numbers-for-15-26-may-2021/

^^^ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    271. I'm guessing but that must be lowest for a long time. December?
    April 18th had 269 cases reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

271 cases of Coronavirus on the wall,
    271 cases of Coronavirus, you take one arm you vaccinate it all, 270 cases of Coronavirus on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

271 cases of Coronavirus on the wall,
    271 cases of Coronavirus, you take one arm you vaccinate it all, 270 cases of Coronavirus on the wall.

A star is born! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

April 18th had 269 cases reported.

Only other time its been below 300 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I see the government’s expert report on ventilation has been published and recently updated:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/aa43c-expert-group-on-the-role-of-ventilation-in-reducing-transmission-of-covid-19/

It’s one thing that really needs to be worked into planning of pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

eskimohunt wrote: »
    I'd like to know what the estimated immunity levels in the population is / and will be in the coming weeks.

Vaccine immunity + estimated community immunity = ???

It's a simple formula. NPHET should release this information for public consumption.

A good piece on this today. It seems it's not that simple to calculate

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0608/1226962-covid-19-ireland-herd-immunity

While there remains a lot of uncertainty, that produces a final estimate for current population immunity of between 39% and 43%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I see the government’s expert report on ventilation has been published and recently updated:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/aa43c-expert-group-on-the-role-of-ventilation-in-reducing-transmission-of-covid-19/

It’s one thing that really needs to be worked into planning of pretty much everything.

12 months late JM&J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

UK looks set for a significant third wave. I hope we won't see anything like that here. The good news is the effectiveness of the vaccines and low confirmed cases of the delta variant here.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1402351586786037763

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

wadacrack wrote: »
    UK looks set for a significant third wave. I hope we won't see anything like that here. The good news is the effectiveness of the vaccines and low confirmed cases of the delta variant here.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1402351586786037763

They are currently vaccinating people in their 30s in the UK, that will severely limit how significant this 'third wave' will be. All the hospitalisations, almost without exception, are not fully/unvaccinated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wadacrack wrote: »

https://twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1402314196822511619

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They are currently vaccinating people in their 30s in the UK, that will severely limit how significant this 'third wave' will be. All the hospitalisations, almost without exception, are not fully/unvaccinated people.

A friend of mine in England has just got his second dose. He's 48 (I think). My spouse (similar age) in Ireland will be getting her second dose of Pfizer in about two weeks time.

That's the problem. They look like they're way ahead on doses, but the protection against Delta from one dose of AZ just isn't enough.

I agree the wave will probably be blunted, but it's really bum-clenchy time for the UK if they choose to push again with full re-opening.

If only Johnson had acted faster on India...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lumen wrote: »
    A friend of mine in England has just got his second dose. He's 48 (I think). My spouse (similar age) in Ireland will be getting her second dose of Pfizer in about two weeks time.

That's the problem. They look like they're way ahead on doses, but the protection against Delta from one dose of AZ just isn't enough.

I agree the wave will probably be blunted, but it's really bum-clenchy time for the UK if they choose to push again with full re-opening.

The UK won't reopen fully on 21st June without some explosive data proving that everything will be alright.

Johnson will bring it down to the wire. This was his showpiece, the proof of his brilliance. But they've spent the last week sandbagging, getting their excuses lined up. I'd be very surprised if 21st June goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Lumen wrote: »

The thing is the Indian variant is in most countries now including our own and it is in the USA for a while now and even their cases have plummeted. It hasn’t caused us any significant problems so far.

I think the UK is more like being on a bumpy road, it might develop into a wave but not at the scale like their last ones.

One dose isn’t a total loss, it seems to be circa 70% reduction of needing hospitalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wouldn't be the end of the world for the UK to postpone their last reopening to early July

If it gets postponed again then we're in trouble. UK reopenings a massive indication of the road were taking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the end of the world for the UK to postpone their last reopening to early July

If it gets postponed again then we're in trouble. UK reopenings a massive indication of the road were taking

It seems the issue is in northern towns where the uptake in vaccines isn't great

We don't seem to have had that issue thus far

I still think they'll be fine to open . Hospital numbers will increase but be easily manageable

Just look at America

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It seems the issue is in northern towns where the uptake in vaccines isn't great

Yeah the same places who had blue collar workers warned if they voted for BREXIT the international factories would close.

They voted for BREXIT and the factories closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PTH2009 wrote: »

Our pattern of disease is not the same as theirs nor is there a vaccine uptake problem plus our next reopening moves will not be till July. Our uber caution is saving us.

Advertisement