Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

is_that_so wrote: »
    Our pattern of disease is not the same as theirs nor is there a vaccine uptake problem plus our next reopening moves will not be till July. Our uber caution is saving us.

This really. Johnson wanted to be the world’s standard bearer while we are just going about our own business and doing everything possible to ensure businesses don’t have to shut again when they’re reopened.

It’s frustrating and seems painfully slow, but all we’re hearing is how we’re on track (with the usual health warnings) and the epidemiological data is backing it up. It’s not the case in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting stat on current cases - 7/10 are close contacts!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0609/1227163-covid-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Great to see the % of hospitalizations per case decreasing.
    I imagine seasonality has also helped this significantly.
    For me, the effectiveness of the vaccines won't be fully apparent until winter comes.
    Fingers crossed they live up to expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Interesting stat on current cases - 7/10 are close contacts!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0609/1227163-covid-ireland/

Likely to be good news. Not as many chains of transmission atm. Probably not missing many cases.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Likely to be good news. Not as many chains of transmission atm. Probably not missing many cases.
    Indeed. I'm convinced the popups are nailing cases at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Bigly

Yeah the same places who had blue collar workers warned if they voted for BREXIT the international factories would close.

They voted for BREXIT and the factories closed.

Its actually mostly asian and black people not taking up vaccines but spin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/harvard-professor-says-tony-holohan-s-views-on-antigen-tests-are-inaccurate-1.4588528

Big bug bear of mine this, it's not going away and may well become the greatest failing of The NPHET... very well articulated by Mina - well done sir. Not too late to do a U turn on this, but they just won't and will continue to ignore the science.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just talking to a German friend who lives in the US. He is just back from Germany and didn't have to quarantine at all when he visited as he's vaccinated.
    Why are we forcing vaccinated people to quarantine when they arrive here? Doesn't seem to make any sense.

mollser wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/harvard-professor-says-tony-holohan-s-views-on-antigen-tests-are-inaccurate-1.4588528

Big bug bear of mine this, it's not going away and may well become the greatest failing of The NPHET... very well articulated by Mina - well done sir. Not too late to do a U turn on this, but they just won't and will continue to ignore the science.
    He's been banging on about that for weeks, even took to Twitter for some silly comments for a while. NPHET see them as useful for very specific controlled environments and it's really his opinion versus NPHET, not just the CMO. DeGascun is also not much of a fan. He's like all of these academics/experts, lots of opinions but they have never had to make a public decision in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's been banging on about that for weeks, even took to Twitter for some silly comments for a while. NPHET see them as useful for very specific controlled environments and it's really his opinion versus NPHET, not just the CMO. DeGascun is also not much of a fan. He's like all of these academics/experts, lots of opinions but they have never had to make a public decision in their lives.

The ECDC have also endorsed the use of antigen tests and have approved specific tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Bigly wrote: »
    Its actually mostly asian and black people not taking up vaccines but spin anyway

Yep. I was in one of the UK northern hotspots twice in the last month (essential travel both times). Vaccine takeup and social distancing have been very poor in the Muslim communities which are a high % of those towns. The end of Ramadan (Eid) festivities were 4 weeks ago tomorrow, and from what I saw I'm not at all surprised that the cases are surging now in those towns. UK press are obviously being cautious not to stir up any race wars, so they only reference this obliquely e.g. "vaccination rates are lower than UK average in this area".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why are we forcing vaccinated people to quarantine when they arrive here? Doesn't seem to make any sense.
    We're not. Fully vaccinated people have been exempt from MHQ since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Aren't the majority of these from Northern cities that are predominantly vaccine hesitant

Stheno wrote: »
    The ECDC have also endorsed the use of antigen tests and have approved specific tests?
    It's how we choose to use them and generally NPHET prefer the PCR test for most situations. They have issues with people using them willy-nilly and forming medical judgements. Campuses in September are likely targets for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Skygord wrote: »
    Yep. I was in one of the UK northern hotspots twice in the last month. Vaccine takeup and social distancing have been very poor in the Muslim communities which are a high % of those towns. The end of Ramadan (Eid) festivities were 4 weeks ago tomorrow, and from what I saw I'm not at all surprised that the cases are surging now in those towns.

Same in parts of London . They opened walk in vaccination centres in certain areas to encourage the Indian community as the uptake was so poor .
    The centre opened and it was all young white workers who availed of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Just looking at the ****storm brewing in the uk, coinciding with the emergence of the delta/Indian variant and the opening of indoor dining. I dont think there is going to be any other option than to postpone indoor dining here until sufficient amount of people have received their second dose. (Hopefully just an extra month or 6 weeks).

If we dont, we will be opening the most dangerous area of transmission - indoors and alcohol - with a much more transmissable varient, to our least vaccinated age group. The younger cohort may not get as sick but a breakout in that group could still casue huge problems.

The goverment hopefully will see sense and revert back to their original outdoor summer plan. At least until august anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1402664381050204160

As of midnight, Tuesday 8 June, we are reporting
    259*
    confirmed cases of #COVID19.

27 in ICU. 76 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

Just looking at the ****storm brewing in the uk, coinciding with the emergence of the delta/Indian variant and the opening of indoor dining. I dont think there is going to be any other option than to postpone indoor dining here until sufficient amount of people have received their second dose. (Hopefully just an extra month or 6 weeks).

If we dont, we will be opening the most dangerous area of transmission - indoors and alcohol - with a much more transmissable varient, to our least vaccinated age group. The younger cohort may not get as sick but a breakout in that group could still casue huge problems.

The goverment hopefully will see sense and revert back to their original outdoor summer plan. At least until august anyway.
    Again Britain we are not, we're queueing up or sneaking into MVCs here, there they have problems getting people to sign up. Based on our demand we could be talking herd immunity by September.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What % of our cases are delta variant? Do we know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Again Britain we are not, we're queueing up or sneaking into MVCs here, there they have problems getting people to sign up.

I'd be more concerned at authorities here using Britain as an example if they start rising again. If we've high cases, we stay closed. If we've low cases but Britain is on the climb, we'll start hearing plenty about it, even if we dont have same conditions (slower vaccine uptake/communities mentioned in preceding posts, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

corkie wrote: »

259*

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

Rookie numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Those are very good numbers IMO.
    Wednesday has historically been the big testing day with large case numbers to scare the public with.
    If we are this low going forward, then we are in good shape IMO for July.

I'd be more concerned at authorities here using Britain as an example if they start rising again. If we've high cases, we stay closed. If we've low cases but Britain is on the climb, we'll start hearing plenty about it, even if we dont have same conditions (slower vaccine uptake/communities mentioned in preceding posts, etc)
    Our (annoying?) caution should put paid to that, nothing more till July and we are heading rapidly towards 60% in first shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

What % of our cases are delta variant? Do we know?

Post this in another thread yesterday, numbers may have increased since.

Edit:- Delta variant 'clear and present danger' for Ireland's re-opening

"The GISAID Initiative tracks two variants first identified in India, including the Delta variant, and has recorded 218 cases of both in Ireland.

Cork has the second-highest number at 67, with 119 sequenced in Dublin. The GISAID map also shows four cases in Kerry, five in Limerick, and one each in Tipperary and Waterford.

Virologist Cillian de Gascun said today: “We have reported 126 of the Delta variant (617.2) and 89 of the Kappa variant (617.1).”
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Our situation is not the UKs. Do I think the UK needs to pause? Absolutely. Do I think we do? Not yet. Assuming our surveillance is representative of the situation on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

259*

Lowest case number since December 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Great news.

However, the Indian Variant outcompetes the Kent Variant, which is dominant in Ireland at the moment. So it is inevitable, unless we are extremely lucky, that the Indian will dominate here in the next few months.

Will it matter a jot? That is a big question. It is a race between vaccination x2 and it's spread. Will it increase hospitalisations? Probably not massively (I don't know yet) but NPHET will see an increase in cases and panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Great news.

However, the Indian Variant outcompetes the Kent Variant, which is dominant in Ireland at the moment. So it is inevitable, unless we are extremely lucky, that the Indian will dominate here in the next few months.

Will it matter a jot? That is a big question. It is a race between vaccination x2 and it's spread. Will it increase hospitalisations? Probably not massively (I don't know yet) but NPHET will see an increase in cases and panic.

With only 11 new delta variant cases in the past week, and with foreign travel still severely restricted (until 19th July at least), we are in good shape. Even if the number of delta variants cases doubles every week for the next 8 weeks, it would still be only 400 cases per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think UK will exaggerate slightly to get the young people jabbed, I can’t see them not opening up on the 21st unless there is a large portion of that age group turning down the vaccine.

The hospitalisation rate between 30 May and 3rd of June over there was 3%, that’s a massive drop from +10% overall during the pandemic. It’ll be interesting to see if that holds at 3% between the 3rd and today when the data comes out.

The worst day the UK had with hospitalisations was 12th of January, 4,478 people admitted to hospital that day and 45,000 new cases.

The UK would need 149,000 daily cases to hit 4,000 daily admissions again at the current rate, that’s never going to happen and talk of the NHS being overwhelmed again is crazy considering they survived January & February. I don’t see how it could get to that point again, even if it did grow to 40,000 cases per day, if they can clearly survive 4,000 people going hospital every day without the country breaking down then 1,500 is a cakewalk in comparison - plus those 1,500 people will be younger and have a fairly negligible chance of dying.

Advertisement