Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just looking at the PCR website its the first time in weeks I’ve seen tests available in Cork. Nearly 500 openings still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Now to wait for the slow painful 'phased' easing of restrictions

I'm not expecting restrictions to fully be rolled back on until end of February if we're lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even general discussion of it is dropping away. Anytime I'm talking to someone about it now, it's about those who had covid last week rather than than who has covid right now. Haven't heard of any new diagnoses of Covid in my extended circle in about ten days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Just on the new regulations etc.

Luckily I have not had the virus, and have never had need so far to take a PCR or Aunty Gin test.

Going forward I will only pay for and take an antigen test if i feel different/ill in some way that may suggest I have the virus. Depending on the result I will do what is then necessary.

If they want us to take frequent tests for other reasons they can make them available free of charge along with the "special" type masks.

Personally I think they may be coming to conclusions here as regards the virus too quickly. I see news reports from other countries including the U.S. and it seems they are all dealing with a much more dangerous virus than we are!

Anyone, I really hope this proves to be the launch pad back to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Stop with the misinformation. You clearly have an agenda and a happy to make half baked misleading claims to back up your ridiculous position.

The report states:

The table below shows the number of reports per age group where deaths are stated as the outcome of a suspected side effect. These reports are also included in the tables above.

The Medical Products Agency can not say with certainty how many have actually died due to the vaccinations. We can only reproduce how many reports have been received where the patient is stated to have died. The reported deaths may be associated with the suspected vaccine in question, but they may also depend on the patient's other illnesses, other medications that the patient is using, or other factors.

The report does not have vaccines "as the underlying cause of death" in the 360 cases. Do you agree?

Have a look here to get a better understanding this type of statistic.

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2021/10/04/how-many-people-have-died-as-a-result-of-a-covid-19-vaccine/

• Advertisement

Assume you are right.

360 deaths in 7,450,000 people vaccinated = 1/20,694

Covid -15,462 deaths in 1,510,000 cases = 1/97.6

A rate of 212 to 1.

But of course you are not right. 360 deaths following vaccination does not equal 360 deaths attributed to vaccination. All deaths following receipt of a medical product are reportable, whether or not any link has being confirmed.

THe UK ONS has an explanation on this, which explains it far better than I could

The Yellow Card reporting scheme has reported that between 9 December 2020 and 8 September 2021 there were 1,645 deaths where the person died shortly after receiving one of the coronavirus vaccines. This is the number of deaths reported as possibly linked to a vaccine, however they will not have been fully investigated at the time of reporting and a report is not proof of causation. So, the numbers are likely to be a big overestimate. The MHRA follow up all such reports and use other sources of evidence such as the numbers of individuals who would be expected to experience different events irrespective of vaccination.

In contrast, the different statistical agencies have reported that to August 2021 (June 2021 in Northern Ireland) there were 4 deaths in England, 0 deaths in Wales, 4 deaths in Scotland and 1 in Northern Ireland. Of these, 4 in Scotland and 1 in Northern Ireland had the vaccine as the underlying cause of death. This meant that there were 9 deaths in the UK that involved the vaccine (meaning the vaccine contributed to the death), of which 5 had the vaccine as the underlying cause (meaning the vaccine initiated the chain of events directly leading to the death). For these deaths, there was evidence to suggest that the vaccine played a part in the chain of events that led to the death

Note. The original UK figure of 1,645 is similar in proportion to the 360 figure in Sweden when allowing for relative population size and the UK figure being up to September. No doubt the 9 confirmed in the UK has increased by a small number since.

Usual suspects will be back around any second with their "with covid not from covid" canard. So lets examine that question. Since the start of the Pandemic there have been 5.51million confirmed covid deaths. How to go about examining that figure. Well if, as contended these are made up of a large proportion of incidental deaths that would have occurred anyway this would be reflected in the difference between excess mortality and recorded covid deaths. A detailed examination of Global Excess deaths by The Economist has identified that there have been between 12 million and 21 million excess deaths during the pandemic. For Sweden the number was 11,930, so potentially they over counted by maybe 3,000.No doubt all hit by buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My impression is the nastier experience America and other countries are having with omicron is overwhelmingly due to them being much less vaccinated than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I get your point but 40k in a day is a huge amount. FWIW I think we will all need something new to argue about in a month or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I do think this discussion is so ironic

If we applied the same metric to Covid deaths and illness there would be no pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Indeed. As far as I understand, in Denmark the army are rounding up 200,000 people every day and forcing them into the test centres. It must be quite the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How come theres almost no reports of superspreader events on airplanes now but there was lots at the start of the pandemic? Given the spread of Omnicron I'd have expected a number of flights a day in and out of UK and Ireland would have cases. Are they just not bothered tracing people at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

It’s clear that you have an agenda otherwise you wouldn’t be getting all so hot and bothered. These deaths are “registered” as so, I never said that they were 100% the “underlying cause of death”. Just like covid deaths are “registered” as so. We all know that the number of covid deaths is greatly exaggerated. Do you agree?

But it does not take away from the fact that they are “registered” as a covid death, despite a deluge of other possibilities in many cases.

Seriously, calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It is hard to see them loosening restrictions at the start of February but I can see some glimmer of hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Just on you point regarding US. I personally think it’s very hard to use it to draw comparisons between Ireland and the US for a few reasons such as vaccination levels but also their healthcare system. Other posters would be more knowledgeable then me but in US you have people with Chronic diseases who often go untreated for their illnesses because they can’t afford the treatment or the treatment isn’t covered by their insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Ok, so that means to maintain our momentum against this virus it will mean another dose of vaccine maybe 5-6 months after the booster?

And then every 6 months thereafter. I wouldn't like to be taking regular boosters though just because the antivaxers wouldn't even take one dose!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its staggeringly two faced if you ask me.

Perhaps we should follow the UK model, vaccine deaths could be any death that occurred within 28 days of a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The fact in many cases everyone onboard are both vaccinated and recently tested and wearing a mask and in a space with HEPA filtering and where the air is replaced rapidly and where the airline and destination requires you to confirm in some kind of declaration you have not had/been a close contact in the last 14 days. Load factors are way down so fewer people within the radius where tracing would be conducted.

Its probably the safest place you could be...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You can't blame people for being scared or scared for their children's health tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't blame them but I do think chronic fear is damaging - both to them, and ultimately others because everything is now a 'public matter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

You’d have to wonder what a lot of lads are going to do when this thing is actually over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Probably do all those things that they were restricted from doing for the past 2 years of their lives. Just a guess.

The obsession with PCR test availability absolute madness of the highest order. /S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I re-watched the film version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night and I noticed a few interesting parallels to our covid situation.

The background story is that Lord Voldemort (a Satan-type figure) is returning to the world of magic to enslave and kill everyone and eventually also non-magical people in the normal world. This sets off a chain reaction of panic and misguided political action.

The Ministry of Magic takes over Hogwarts school and start issuing a series of unreasonable decrees, the first of which is to ban magic in order to create a 'risk-free environment'.

One of the decrees is to ban music. Another decree is to ban girls and boys from coming 'within eight inches of each other'. Another is to disband all student organisations, essentially banning students from meeting in groups.

The Ministry keeps multiplying strict and obstructionist rules in order to guarantee safety and recruits students to spy on the rest of the student body. (Eventually the students rebel and all the decree scrolls are physically destroyed and the Minister is abducted by a group of centuars she mistreated.)

Harry is attacked in print by scurrilous media (a newspaper called The Daily Prophet). One of the only Irish characters (!) Seamus falls out with Harry because he says his mother believes the media propaganda scapegoating Harry for the death of their mutual friend (who was actually murdered by Lord Voldemort but Harry was the only witness).

Eventually Seamus says that he and his mother realise the media coverage is so incoherent that it must be based on lies. Seamus apologises to Harry and now says he believes him.

In general Harry is a victim of myopic bureaucracy (he is almost expelled from Hogwarts and has to face a judicial hearing for breaking a minor rule in the act of saving someone's life).

Lord Fudge - the head of the Ministry of Magic - has his judgement impaired by fear, as Sirius Black must explain to Harry who is still a child and doesn't understand why 'the adults' are behaving so irrationally. This chronic fear is what leads the Ministry to blame Dumbledore and Harry for everything that is happening and turn them into public enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Deaths by medical misadventure is reported to be ranked at number 3 in terms of causes of death in the US.

Just for those that think medicine and pharma are infallible.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Agree. But having said that, it's probably through international travel on planes that Omicron spread to all countries so quick. Only takes a few people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Derkaiser93

And just like that, spiderman 0081, fintan and buckety buck are in the mud. Absolutely schooled. I'd like them to point us all in the direction of the vaccine victims wards in the hospitals or the vaccine victims in ICU like what we have for covid. Or the collapsed healthcare systems, bodies in trucks like Italy or corpses being burned in India because they took the vaccine like what we saw from covid waves. Even though more people have had the vaccine than covid....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

They tend to get very quiet when excess deaths is mentioned too. Literally no way whatsoever to spin it.

Advertisement