Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

907 in hospital this evening. That means there were 116 more people discharged than admitted between 8am and 8pm today.

Great to see. Should also hopefully keep us below 1100 come Monday morning.

The real drops will likely come next week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Hold on. First Tony said it was 10%. Then the HSE said Tony was right but with Omi it went up to 30%. Now these guys are saying it's 58%. Somebody is playing fast and loose, with very import numbers, that have had a massive impact on most peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Presumably they are in hospital for some other medical reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

I go to cafes quite often. I wouldn't be a huge fan of having to show the covid cert, but it doesn't exactly take very long. And the "contact tracing forms" are annoying and in my opinion completely useless. But other than that, it's pretty much business as usual. Hopefully things get back to "normal" soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

I suppose they should say "Covid symptoms". If I'm in the hospital, my leg is broken, and I test covid positive but don't have symptoms, I don't think I'm feeling great. Not the best article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Yes. But we were told that number was 10%. Then 30%. That headline appears to be off too. Reading here it's 42% with symptoms so I guess it's 58% without. The 42% with symptoms may not have presented because of those symptoms either.

It’s nothing to do with the covid certs or the tracing. It’s just I find the ambience is totally gone in a lot of places. It’s more just in, coffee & out. Utilitarian.

I was in a fairly large cafe in Cork on Tuesday and they’d a very long counter with food on display. Huge space. No issues with social distancing. There’s a sign at the top of the queue that says wait to be seated.

We were waiting about 4 or 5 mins and a family was ahead of me. I was standing well back.

The place was almost totally empty, so they were moving very slightly beyond the sign looking at the display cabinet of food to see what to order. The next thing a waitress came over, and lectured them from upon high “Wait AT the sign! Do NOT go past the sign!.” It was like being back in school.

That’s the kind of thing that wrecks it for me. I can deal with the certs, the masks, the hand sanitiser but it’s every now and then you encounter totally unreasonable stuff like that.

I’m also finding some places are implementing contact tracing outdoors. I’m not sure that’s ever been required?

Then other places won’t even look at the covid cert when you open the app and they walk away looking awkward and take no details at all for tracing and kind of do the wink, wink, nudge, nudge type thing. I find that worse.

Between that and being unable to hear people because I’m a little deaf, it just makes the whole thing not worth my while anymore. I’ve a few places I go because they’ve good outdoor seating and that’s pretty much my limit.

Are you not getting into pedantic discussions of the comorbidity killed them but it was triggered by COVID?

If you’ve a heart condition, got delta and died because you took a heart attack, that’s most likely because you got delta and are just more at risk of dying if your cardiac system is put under extreme stress.

I mean most people don’t die of lots of viruses and illnesses but they die because those illnesses push them beyond their limits and some comorbidity is the technical cause of death.

I have treated high blood pressure, which is technically a comorbidity… I’m 100% otherwise healthy though. It’s just a glitch that I’ve had since my early 20s, yet no doubt I’d be classified as having a deadly comorbidity.

If you lock down everyone with high BP, asthma, etc etc etc next thing you’ve half the essential workers in the country locked down…

There are some people who are highly vulnerable, even to flu. They’re somewhat stuck at the moment but some of these descriptions of comorbidity are so broad that they’d include probably most of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Also in that article in the Independent of the 453 Covid positive patients reviewed, 67 were unvaccinated. Just under half of all those currently in hospital positive for Covid were included in the review.

27 of the 322 not needing Oxygen and 42 of the 130 needing Oxygen were unvaccinated. Still disproportionate as expected but not at levels justifying the level of scorn and blame aimed at the unvaccinated. From those figures - estimate 15% unvaccinated.

Yes Omicron has changed things, but the burden the unvaccinated supposedly have on hospitalisations isn’t holding up. This message should be communicated and passes discontinued.

*Just as an observation of the discrepancies in 30%/58% if a patient has no symptoms on admission, they may develop them and need some treatment. The important data is treated for symptoms vs not - I gather the percentage not needing treatment is 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They haven't though.......

No, Walensky was not referring to all COVID-19 deaths when she stated over 75% of the deaths were in people with at least four comorbidities.

Walensky was referring to a study that found out of about 1.2 million fully vaccinated people, only 36 died of COVID-19. Twenty-eight out of 36 people, or 78%, had four or more comorbidities.

• Advertisement

There’s no question about it - the vaccines had a very, very positive impact.

I think they’ve been the one ray of light in this for the last couple of years, whatever the conspiracy theorists might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

They are claiming that as there can be no isolation from parents then the timeframe doesn't hold as there is no way to break the contact to start the time for the 7 days. They said that the extra 7 days are needed as the time period for us to potentially stop transmission to ou daughter will continue on (given no break in contact) and so after say day 7 for us we can be deemed free that she could still have only just contracted covid from us and take 7 days herself to get it out of her system. It's a ridiculous loophole that is unfair on her for various reasons, not least as she cannot possibility be vaccinated etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So which child 0-12 can break contact from a parent then ? Then the HSE say children 0-12 household close contact isolate for 7 days . No mention of what you mention above

No 1 year old obviously can isolate from a parent so who are the actually talking about then . ?

It makes no sense what you are being told as no under 12 can isolate from a parent basically

Personally I would be sticking to the HSE guidlines on the official HSE site

i remember a poster here telling that someone on the HSE phone line told her to isolate her 3 year old in a room

She told him she would report him to Tusla !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

When out for an evening trying to put all the gloom to one side the covid pass is an unwelcome reminder of the unnecessary dystopia we live in.

I don't like restrictions, obviously you do. That's fine

Hop you got something nice in the shopping basket

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The ratio for hospitalisations has been dropping month on month since September, ICU ratios have been dropping much more slowly (check the CSO datasets). Still very disproportionate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

After 2 long years, it seems finally the number of deaths "from-Covid" versus "with-Covid" is being discussed. It is simply u.n.b.e.l.i.e.v.a.b.l.e that the public was convinced this question was ever a non-issue. (It is equally unbelievable that 2 years later the HSE is having problems providing the breakdown numbers. This is wholesale incompetence and there should be uproar about this.)

It started with (possibly excusably) naive scientists and (inexcusably) opportunist politicians BUT it was driven primarily by the fanatical media.  

Of course I'm sure I've misunderstood this all over again. Again, hopefully an ambitious assistant editor from the Irish Times will be on here to point me to a "How to Talk to a Conspiracy Theorist Family Member" article to learn me how to think right. Thank you, thank you sir ;-) 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Absolutely correct, it's extremely clear from the website

"Here's what you need to do if your child is aged between 3 months and 3 years and is a household close contact.

There is separate advice if your child has recovered from COVID-19 after getting a positive test anytime since 1 December 2021.

Testing

If your child does not have symptoms of COVID-19, they do not need to be tested.

If they develop symptoms, they need to be isolated from other people and get a COVID-19 PCR test.

Restricted movements

Your child needs to restrict movements (stay at home) for 7 days.

They should do this from when they were last in contact with the person who tested positive. If you do not know when this was, do this from when you get the close contact text message from the HSE."

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Go here: Excess mortality during the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) - Statistics and Research - Our World in Data

Go to the map, click on a country, look at when the countries locked down and what happened when they opened up and you can see why the actions were taken.

And just so people know what it looks like around the world:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

907 in hospital tonight

83 in ICU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

they were completely mentally unequiped to deal with an existential threat like a disruptive global pandemic 

Covid was never an existential threat

Vaccine or no vaccine.

Omicron or delta

Lockdown or no lockdown

I only hope that they will one day recognise this and may be better prepared to deal with the next threat like a mature adult

The country is broke, infrastructure upgrades already being cancelled, enormous debt levels, all because Ireland used lockdown as a primary control measure for longer than any other country in Europe.

I agree with you, the next threat will be very interesting indeed, because we have absolutely no ecomomic reserves to deal with it, and we will actually have to face it head on, "like a mature adult".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So Míchéal Martin is stating on the Late Late Show that there will be no return to 2019…he also states there will be annual vaccination campaigns. Does this mean they’ve no intention of getting rid of Covid Certs? Election or referendum is needed if this is the case as the health emergency re Covid is nearly over.

Meanwhile Ryan Tubridy is trying to convince Míchéal Martin to mandatory vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

That’s positive. We have probably had about 30% + of the population infected with Covid since just before Christmas and the numbers have not hit the roof.

55% of patients in ICU for covid are unvaccinated. A big win for them. Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is there any medical reason for being unable to take the vaccine Dazzler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

If your % is right thats about 45 people

Big f-ing deal

Covid is done with, you'll catch up soon enough

Mainly being allergic to ingredients in the vaccine.

That roughly 25% of ICU capacity because they decided to not take the vaccine. Is that not a "big deal"? The selfishness of the willingly unvaccinated is what disturbs me most. It's them putting themselves at most risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Advertisement

I watched Martin on the LLS. I never really liked him too much I must admit, he always reminded me of a politician happy to pass the buck with report after report.

However he spoke well. I don’t think he has any want to be in this situation or prolong it unnecessarily. I think there is a reasonable leader in there who’s not a slave to case numbers. He seems like he is held back by January 2021 and a terrible fear of repeating it. Understandable but it feels like it weighs too heavily on the current situation. I kind of feel sorry for him; he looks like he’s shouldered a heavy burden (and that’s not forgetting the burden this government and health team have placed on countless members of society - just a personal observation)

Not having the stats to hand was strange enough though, I mean tubridy is fairly predictable interviewer wise, someone didn’t do their homework.

Advertisement