Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

eskimohunt wrote: »
    No, they don't.

Primary medical degree means he never worked as a doctor; he ran away after finishing the first stage.

Moreover, if Philip Nolan - who spent most of his time as a useless president of a university - can voice an informed opinion based on his links to science, then so can many other people with any grasp of science.

I have multiple science degrees, and I'm sure many others here do too, so that glib remark regarding science/biotech degrees and posters here is redundant.

Would ya ever cop op. Recognising someones qualifications and criticising their performance are not mutually exclusive.
    Professor Philip Nolan is a native of Dublin, and received his BSc (Hons) degree in Physiology in 1988 and the primary medical degrees of MB BCh BAO in 1991 from University College Dublin (UCD).
    He practiced medicine for a short time, but having become involved in research and teaching as a student, was drawn to an academic career. He earned a PhD for his research on the control of breathing and the cardiovascular system during sleep. He has a strong track record in research that includes publications in leading international journals and a number of prestigious awards received as a young researcher, including the Donegan Medal from the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland, the Watts Medal from the Health Research Board, and the Heymans-De Castro-Neil medal from the International Society for Arterial Chemoreception.

In 1996 Professor Nolan joined the staff of University College Dublin, where he was recognized both as an outstanding researcher, receiving a UCD President’s Research Award in 2000, and as an excellent and innovative teacher, earning a UCD President’s Teaching Award in 2002. He led the development of UCD’s Health Sciences Centre, which opened in 2005, and acted as Director of the UCD Conway Institute from 2003-2004.

Would ya ever cop op. Recognising someones qualifications and criticising their performance are not mutually exclusive.
    He practiced medicine for a short time, but having become involved in research and teaching as a student, was drawn to an academic career.

Actively misleading.

He didn't have the required qualification to work independently as a doctor. He required supervision. He did 1-year as an intern, then quit - and ran away to the books of a university. He never, ever worked as an independent, qualified doctor. He only had the initial academic qualification, then a very brief internship - then quit for a solitary academic life.

If he wanted to work as a qualified doctor, he'd have had to have done more qualifications and experience. But he refused to do it.

Actively misleading.

He didn't have the required qualification to work independently as a doctor. He required supervision. He did 1-year as an intern, then quit - and ran away to the books of a university. He never, ever worked as an independent, qualified doctor. He only had the initial academic qualification, then a very brief internship - then quit for a solitary academic life.

If he wanted to work as a qualified doctor, he'd have had to have done more qualifications and experience. But he refused to do it.

You don't see the key role research plays in medicine?

The original now deleted assertion was he had no science qualification. When pointed out that he has 3 highly relevant science degrees, suddenly "he never practised". We get it, you dont like him. Doesn't excuse this nonsense however

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Plenty of bolloxology has come out of practising doctors too.

GPs in particular are often too close to the ground to get a proper gauge. They can suffer badly from selection bias, and while this can be useful in sounding early alarms, it can also lead to a tendency to infer links about the wider population where none actually exist.

Someone who's primarily involved in research will have broadly the opposite bias; slower to raise the alarm because they're a little disconnected from the ground, but they make better analyses and predictions and will properly assess the situation before pointing out any potential links between two datasets.

The latter is what you want when you're trying to assess the current situation in a pandemic and make predictions for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's fine to have opinions but there's a lot of statements being made that aren't opinions, they are telling us how it is and how this virus works and how it’s all over.

Does the thought of the virus being “ over” bother you or something? Surely you don’t want this going on and on, eh??

I think when people say “ it’s over” most people don’t mean it in the here and now context. It’s a figure of speech. They know that the virus days are numbered going forward.

A bit of an analogy. I was playing GTA V online the other night. I randomly killed a player for the craic. The player sent me a message “ oh you’re dead”. It was another hour before he tried to kill me. He said i was dead before he even tried to kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have multiple science degrees
    I, for one, am curious... Any chance of enlightening us as to what qualifies you to denigrate the qualifications of the NPHET members?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Does the thought of the virus being “ over” bother you or something? Surely you don’t want this going on and on, eh??
    This conversation theme has been prevalent on here throughout a lot of the pandemic.

A - People should work to stop the spread of the virus.
    B - Why, do you want the virus to keep spreading or something?

Ficheall wrote: »
    This conversation theme has been prevalent on here throughout a lot of the pandemic.

A - People should work to stop the spread of the virus.
    B - Why, do you want the virus to keep spreading or something?

Well what do you expect when you have certain posters whining about other posters because they are talking positively about getting out of this. Vaccines work ;)

Well what do you expect when you have certain posters whining about other posters because they are talking positively about getting out of this. Vaccines work ;)
    I've no doubt that the vaccines will help. And obviously there's a broad spectrum of pessimism - optimism. There has been throughout - even when cases were really high at Christmas and really low last summer.
    And there have been obviously unfounded assertions of both pessimism and optimism - and complaints thereon - but the accusation that people calling for more caution want covid to be a problem for longer is, and has been throughout, ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

TD calls for mandatory hotel quarantine for all travellers from UK

People Before Profit TD Paul Murphy has called for mandatory hotel quarantine to be introduced for all travellers coming from the UK.

Mr Murphy says: "What we need to do is temporarily introduce mandatory hotel quarantine for people travelling they're from England, Scotland, and Wales.

"That only needs to happen for a couple of months for us to get ahead and to get the vaccinations done."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40313090.html%3ftype=amp

How Murphy thinks we'd have enough hotel rooms for a couple of months I don't know

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    but the accusation that people calling for more caution want covid to be a problem for longer is, and has been throughout, ridiculous.

I’d agree but when you ask certain posters do they think we should open up society fully in the coming months when everyone possible is vaccinated or do we keep the restrictions/lockdown program indefinately and won’t answer it does make one wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

KrustyUCC wrote: »

People Before Profit TD Paul Murphy has called for mandatory hotel quarantine to be introduced for all travellers coming from the UK.

Mr Murphy says: "What we need to do is temporarily introduce mandatory hotel quarantine for people travelling they're from England, Scotland, and Wales.

"That only needs to happen for a couple of months for us to get ahead and to get the vaccinations done."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40313090.html%3ftype=amp

How Murphy thinks we'd have enough hotel rooms for a couple of months I don't know

Great idea. 2 weeks in the Crowne Plaza or drive down from Belfast. The choice, is yours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I think when people say “ it’s over” most people don’t mean it in the here and now context. It’s a figure of speech. They know that the virus days are numbered going forward.

A bit of an analogy. I was playing GTA V online the other night. I randomly killed a player for the craic. The player sent me a message “ oh you’re dead”. It was another hour before he tried to kill me. He said i was dead before he even tried to kill me.

This is the nth time that the figure of speech has been used. I dont visit this thread much but last time same was mentioned last year after 1st wave when the cases were going down all over world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I’d agree but when you ask certain posters do they think we should open up society fully in the coming months when everyone possible is vaccinated or do we keep the restrictions/lockdown program indefinately and won’t answer it does make one wonder.

The idea that there is anyone 'enjoying' lockdown is as ridiculous as the idea that anyone who questions restrictions is a 'let-it-rip' merchant.

I have seen zero evidence of anybody enjoying lockdown, it's usually just someone who is a little more risk averse getting sh*t, or even worse, someone even just posting information, without a personal opinion, on something like a variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Micky 32 wrote:
    Does the thought of the virus being “ over†bother you or something? Surely you don’t want this going on and on, eh??
    I'll be delighted when it's over, I'm fully vaccinated too so I'm in a very good place. I'm delighted that hospital numbers have got so low. It's going well but there's still many question marks. Pfizer are already planning a booster before Christmas. They wouldn't be doing that so quickly if everything was perfectly fine.
    Micky 32 wrote:
    I think when people say “ it’s over†most people don’t mean it in the here and now context. It’s a figure of speech. They know that the virus days are numbered going forward.
    It's coming across as if we should dismiss everything the experts are saying, coming across like they know and don't listen to the experts.
    Micky 32 wrote:
    A bit of an analogy. I was playing GTA V online the other night. I randomly killed a player for the craic. The player sent me a message “ oh you’re deadâ€. It was another hour before he tried to kill me. He said i was dead before he even tried to kill me.
    I have no words.

Renjit wrote: »
    This is the nth time that the figure of speech has been used. I dont visit this thread much but last time same was mentioned last year after 1st wave when the cases were going down all over world.
    :rolleyes:
    Just incase you were hibernating i’ll bring you up to speed. At the begining of the year we got introduced to vaccines. It must be more than the “nth” time that people are comparing 2020 to 2021 . Completely different ball games.

I'll be delighted when it's over, I'm fully vaccinated too so I'm in a very good place. I'm delighted that hospital numbers have got so low. It's going well but there's still many question marks. Pfizer are already planning a booster before Christmas. They wouldn't be doing that so quickly if everything was perfectly fine.

It's coming across as if we should dismiss everything the experts are saying, coming across like they know and don't listen to the experts.

I have no words.

Pfizer is planning a booster, if needed, subtle, but important difference

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

The idea that there is anyone 'enjoying' lockdown is as ridiculous as the idea that anyone who questions restrictions is a 'let-it-rip' merchant.

I have seen zero evidence of anybody enjoying lockdown, it's usually just someone who is a little more risk averse getting sh*t, or even worse, someone even just posting information, without a personal opinion, on something like a variant.
    Big sweeping opinion there, but i have no doubt whatsoever that a very tiny minority are indeed enjoying lockdown.

I have no words.

No but whining and complaining about people embracing the great news of the vaccines and looking forward to getting their lives back that they’re entitled to do is pathetic. People need some hope. For some reason it irritates you.

So what do you want us to do? Get jabbed and keep restrictions going just incase? Should we cease travel permanently ( just in case a variant comes in) should we permanently ban concerts, indoor gatherings etc etc?

Where did i say someone enjoying lockdown? I was referring to people who want too much ‘abundance of caution’ even if it meant restrictions indefinately while hiding under their beds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Well, Mr Murphy is what's known in the trade as a waffler. Anything he suggests should be immediately disregarded. How does the good TD propose we manage those working in the south but living in the north? Or, is it, yet another uninformed opinion from a man who's made a career in being uninformed.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Big sweeping opinion there, but i have no doubt whatsoever that a very tiny minority are indeed enjoying lockdown.

Of course this is true.

We all know the kind of introverted person who'd love the idea of staying at home for the rest of their lives, and having the Government issue this to everyone else normalizes their own ordinarily extreme behavior.

They are a minority, thank God for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1404467544833105924

As of midnight, Sunday 13 June, we are reporting
    242*
    confirmed cases of #COVID19.

23 in ICU. 67 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Great numbers again.

Good afternoon everybody. Today, we are reporting 242 new cases of COVID-19, bringing our national total to 255,413. There are no additional deaths. I'll now hand you over to Gavan Reilly for more on today's epidemiology.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1404467967270830086

Has there been any update on the positivity rate recently, or is that one of the things that was taken out by the hack?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Great case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

When will we see the rise in cases from the shocking scenes Tony saw in Dublin over 2 weeks ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

When will we see the rise in cases from the shocking scenes Tony saw in Dublin over 2 weeks ago ?

Looks like it had minimal effect on the case numbers.

No idea how we dodged that bullet!

• Advertisement

The virus clearly doesn't love alcohol as much as Tony preached it did.

Advertisement