Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

If you're over 50 or have underlying conditions you're getting the booster to protect yourself from covid. Otherwise you're getting it for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

My daughter is a bit older, but equally upset by the antigen tests. After seeing how far the PCR tester put the swab up her nose (not very far at all), we came to a compromise. She does the swab around the lower part of her nose herself. (I stand right beside her and keep close watch, and we count out loud together to make sure she does enough). Being able to control it herself has made a huge difference. Might that help? (Might be a bit more accurate than the nose blowing). How often are you testing. While I have tested myself and husband more often, I only tested my daughter just before Christmas when we had an elderly relative visiting, and then when she was a close contact in school - and even then I only did 2 tests instead of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not as simple as vaccination encouraging your body to produce antibodies and the "booster" giving you fresh ones. With each dose, the immune system gets better at producing more efficient, more aggressive antibodies.

There is a point of diminishing returns; only so efficient the immune system can get. And some studies suggesting that 4th+ doses may on balance actually do more harm than good (a tiny bit of harm for very little good, tbf, not "a lot of harm").

In terms of getting a booster after an infection, it effectively just "baselines" the individual. You know that that you are at least as protected as everyone else with 3 doses, if not more. The level of protection that you have after two doses + infection is less well known. And getting a booster won't do any harm. So by getting a booster you know how protected you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

I thought this variant was mild . Probably the worst I've ever been , I was genuinely scared for my life yesterday. Feeling alot better today. I should have took the vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s not necessarily mild but it’s milder than Delta. Deaths worldwide are now matching the Delta wave and rising. It is milder than Delta though overall but Omicron is so transmissable it out weighs that benefit. The positive of Omicron is that it spreads like **** so it could help to build up some sort of herd immunity a lot quicker and the wave passes more quickly. Looking at our own situation and despite most restrictions lifted cases and hospitals are significantly dropping and you can see the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Throw in all the antigen grasses & we're probably looking at a 12k day.

Remember when we'd be cowering in fear hearing numbers like that, I couldn't tell you what the figures have been for the past week tbh, just check the ICUs nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Just when you thought we might get a break from a NPHET style doom mongering Government body, someone has this ‘brainwave’ on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭prunudo

What we actually need to do is remove twitter from being a barometer for public opinion. Our repsonse to the pandemic would have been much more measured if it wasn't for the hysterical overreaction to covid on twitter over the last 2 years.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's amazing how quickly people move on. The vast majority consider covid a thing of the past and are hardly mentioning it.

I think 2022 will be a very fun year. Great optimism in the air.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It is but they need to sort out the schools first . A child who is a close contact at home has to isolate for up to 14 days . It’s ridiculous at this stage

No, half the country neeed help for their nerves after the damage NPHET did.

The other half will walk off a short plank into a very deep sea if they are subjected to such fear mongering propoganda again.

RTE of course would be delighted with the shed loads of money that would be pushed their way,keeping the media sweet suits the Government, no awkward questions to be asked in case if affects delivery of the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I remember being "concerned" when there were 40 cases in Ireland in one day... Then that summer we had 100s per day which seemed huge. Strange how now we're shrugging off thousands.

I suppose it's got to the point where it's like if you'd said to someone in 2019 "there were 5000 cases of the flu today!" you'd be greeted with a shrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Covid might eventually go away but unfortunately the nutters never will. They are probably upset now restrictions are eased, they probably thought restrictions will save the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Only the MoH/DoH has the scope to create a NPHET, anything else is an expert group. However, given the rate that Eamonn Ryan is hoovering up advisors I doubt we could form one of those anyway! The Oireachtas gets plenty of input via submissions to the various committees and it's something anyone can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

With the added note that "about" 50% are incidental covid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

92 deaths reported in the past week. Highest weekly total in nearly 10 months, since March 15 last year. Only weeks after Holohan said half that number was too many.

Yet Tony doesn't even comment on it, since the narrative is no longer about cherry-picking the worst statistic available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

True and also Climate Change is more of governmental and global response in which policies across the board are needed rather than the Government setting up another ‘expert’ group to hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭corkie

^^ No finalised plan to wind down NPHET - Holohan

There are no finalised plans regarding the "wind-down" of the National Public Health Emergency Team, but it is being considered, the Oireachtas Health Committee has heard.

The Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan, told members that there will still be a need for a "multi-professional" advisory panel going forward.

The masks are being kept in schools as a means of coercing parents to bring the five to twelve year olds for vaccinations.

There are about 450,000 in this age group and only 100,000 have been vaccinated so far, this is in spite of mass vaccination centres being open and child vaccines being available for five to six weeks now. At that rate of progress it will take months for the masks to go and why should children who took the vaccine have to suffer wearing masks indefinitely.

A decision is being made now about boosting the teenagers and its likely a large majority of that age group wont want the booster either,does mean masks for that age group indefinitely too.

Surely now vaccines for children and boosters for teenagers should be entirely a personal choice and mask wearing should not be used as a tool to force parents to bring their child for a vaccine in order to make their child schoolday more pleasant. Equally teenagers can make up their own mind about boosters and come to aninformed decision and mask wearing and other coercive measures need to be dropped.

Can we all just get on with our lives now, even the nursing home restrictions are being largely lifted and yet here we are with the youngest citizens sitting in freezing cold classrooms with cloth masks stuck on their lovely little faces.

Its just not right.

• Advertisement

And look at that photo accompanying that article, not one of them wearing a face mask and sitting very close to each other.

Stick them in an office with windows wide open and make them go outside everytime a monitor flashes red. Make them wear cloth masks for six hours a day. If the heating went off in their offices even for an hour they would get up and go home.

Why are parents allowing their children to be treated like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

I would have thought the reason that the take up for kids has been so low is that hundreds of thousands of kids have caught Omicron in the past 6 weeks so cant or dont need to get the vaccine right now. Not a government conspiracy. I personally agree with you that masks should be a personal choice in schools. But its not always a conspiracy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

I doubt many parents will be getting their kids a vaccine to prevent something they've already had (and most kids barely noticed they even had!)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

Thats sort of my point. Thats why the vaccine numbers in kids are so low. Going by my local area, more than half at least have had it. I'm guessing most people would say the same. So not government coercion as yer man was suggesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Haven’t used the term yet, but I will now! It’s covid theatre. Holahan wants to stay relevant and this decision is the last to make! The masks thing is a load of bollix. Makes fûck all sense that I could(but won’t) go to a nightclub no masks no social distancing shift loads, then on the Monday I have to wear a mask for 9/10 hours a day in a large supermarket where nobody is ever on top of each other even when busy!

One last string to his bow and he ain’t going to let go!

He is waiting for other countries to make a move and Denmark has now.

We could just have easily copied everything other countries did right since March 2020 and not bothered with NPHET at all.

We had to be more extreme than oother countries because our health system is a shambles but basically we do just copy the Uk or whoever.

The masks will probably go fairly soon now,doubt if we will wait till end of February.

The local children near me are on top of each other in the queue into the shop, they are swinging out of eeach other and crammed into the small playground. They are going to each others house after school and are back at their extra cuuricular activities.

Its just beyond nonsense now, anyone with a functioning brain can see this so its either a coercion tool to get children vaccinated or its to stop teachers making noises about covid cases. It has nothing to do with childrens health.

So there is this, claiming El Pais as source.

The problem here is that it clashes with medical advice, including the WHO, against multiple boosting and people would technically need to get a further two boosters to stay up to date. Obviously it would depend on individual states and what they want to do.

Original EL Pais source - needs Google Translate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe it is just poorly worded but it says "The regulation that establishes a maximum validity of 270 days for the certificates that do not include a booster dose". So, if you have a booster it doesn't expire after 9 months. This also matches up with an older article below. "After a booster shot, the validity of the Covid-19 pass will be extended further without a set limit,"

It is badly worded/translated but it's the Summer 2023 bit that is the problem. That 270 days only started yesterday so it can't really include booster on booster scenarios. Anyway it's a wait and see if they do extend it and what regulations will apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think your reading it wrong to be honest.

All that's being proposed is the change of date in the EU regulation.

Certs without a booster 9 months from 2nd dose are as of yesterday not valid for travel but there's no end date on the booster nor does what's suggested put one on it.

Advertisement