Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When will we see the rise in cases from the shocking scenes Tony saw in Dublin over 2 weeks ago ?
    It was just another "cop on" comment, he's done loads of those over the last year and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was just another "cop on" comment, he's done loads of those over the last year and a bit.

That tweet had baton wielden gardai close off streets.

To quote Catherine Tate, am I boverred? It's what he does and as CMO he's entitled to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The scum bags had baton wielding gardai close off the streets actually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And there was me thinking it was young scumbags causing trouble :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

is_that_so wrote: »
    To quote Catherine Tate, am I boverred? It's what he does and as CMO he's entitled to comment.

No hes not, his job is advisory to the government, it is not the CMOs job to shame and disparrage people who we were pretty sure then and have 100% confirmed now were doing absolutely nothing dangerous as far as transmission is concerned.

VinLieger wrote: »
    No hes not, his job is advisory to the government, it is not the CMOs job to shame and disparrage people who we knew then and have confirmed now were doing absolutely nothing dangerous as far as transmission is concerned.
    Well he can and he does view it as a public health situation worth commenting on, so take it up with him. This stuff really has no effect on me and I've always zoned out his lecturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Micky 32 wrote:
    No but whining and complaining about people embracing the great news of the vaccines and looking forward to getting their lives back that they’re entitled to do is pathetic. People need some hope. For some reason it irritates you.
    Well you see I wasn't conplaining, just pointing out that a lot if people are acting like they know more than experts.
    Micky 32 wrote:
    So what do you want us to do? Get jabbed and keep restrictions going just incase? Should we cease travel permanently ( just in case a variant comes in) should we permanently ban concerts, indoor gatherings etc etc?
    As soon as you are fully vaccinated you should go have a good time.
    Personally I'll stay away from crowds of strangers for a while yet until we are confident that there's no new variants that might beat our vaccination. But that's my choice, I'm not saying everybody needs to do that.

You've made up you mind that I'm against opening up for some reason. I was at Christmas but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pfizer is planning a booster, if needed, subtle, but important difference
    Do you think it's likely we need to get a booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Did that tweet set fire to the bins and hop on the taxis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Did that tweet set fire to the bins and hop on the taxis?

It was the catalyst for all that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mightyreds wrote: »
    "The CMO made me do it, your honour.."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Ah yes, it was someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Ficheall wrote: »
    "The CMO made me do it, your honour.."

Yeah cause that's how things work
    Polar101 wrote: »
    Ah yes, it was someone else's fault.

Good man exactly what I was trying to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

RTÉ news…featuring a video clip of Gabriel Scally trying to make the Delta variant as scary as possible. Then Caitriona Perry actually asking fellow RTÉ journalist Paul Cunningham should we delay our limited reopening - with low cases and hospitals empty.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Vulnerable groups quite probably, not necessarily the rest of us. DeGascun has suggested a need for them every 2-3 years but they could be like flu jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yeah cause that's how things work
    'tis indeed, sadly. Scumbags looking for any excuse to blame someone else for them acting the prick..

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Yeah looks like RTE are pushing the scaling back on reopening angle. All this with tiny case numbers and no deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Micky 32 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Just incase you were hibernating i’ll bring you up to speed. At the begining of the year we got introduced to vaccines. It must be more than the “nth” time that people are comparing 2020 to 2021 . Completely different ball games.

I was hibernating from this thread, not from world :pac:

As for the different ball game, that still doesn't tell you the game is over for the virus. It took 40 years to control measles if that gives you any idea. For all, a cautious approach is best. We may be vaccinated but that still doesnt close the gates for other countries where vaccination is as low as 3% of the population. And the virus is reeling with as much chances for mutations as it can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭prunudo

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Yeah looks like RTE are pushing the scaling back on reopening angle. All this with tiny case numbers and no deaths.

Surely at this stage nobody is taking them seriously. From what I've seen over the last few weekends, the Irish population are over covid and out and about living their lives again.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

I think it’s unlikely the relatively young and otherwise we’ll will need a booster. Would put at about a 25% chance. There hasn’t been any significant shift in the way this virus infects so a level of immunity will be retained until the immune system starts to weaken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

RTÉ news…featuring a video clip of Gabriel Scally trying to make the Delta variant as scary as possible. Then Caitriona Perry actually asking fellow RTÉ journalist Paul Cunningham should we delay our limited reopening - with low cases and hospitals empty.

Standard embarrassing RTE Covid coverage.

Hospital number lowest in 9 months.

Cases lowest this year.

250,000 vaccines given out a week.

Conclusion: Reopening too fast.

Why do ye watch if it if offends so much?

TefalBrain wrote: »

RTÉ should be rebranded "hypochondria central", they only entertain the worst case scenario and push for excessive caution. If their jobs were on the line as a direct consequence, they wouldn't have the gall to promote a delay in further reopening. It's a despicable "anyone's livelihood but mine" mentality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Onion Bahji

Every so often I meet someone who is absolutely terrified of the virus and basically living in a state of near constant fear. What are the chances these are the people who tune in to the 6.00 news every night.

Despicable broadcaster.

Every so often I meet someone who is absolutely terrified of the virus and basically living in a state of near constant fear. What are the chances these are the people who tune in to the 6.00 news every night.

Despicable broadcaster.

Given the comments on rte it seems the most frequent viewers are those who love being in a permanent state of frothing rage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Despicable broadcaster.

While RTE were spouting this with Scally on the pedastal they are giving him & his like, Public Health UK are tweeting this

https://twitter.com/phe_uk/status/1404484812488990721?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm so sick of this idiotic argument

We pay for RTE with our license fee, they're also the most prominent broadcaster in the nation and have a significant amount of influence on the older population in particular.

Their coverage of the pandemic has been a complete disgrace since the beginning, from focusing on every negative scare story they can find to giving the ISAG lunatics a daily platform.

So we'll complain as much as we ****ing like thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Renjit wrote: »
    I was hibernating from this thread, not from world :pac:

As for the different ball game, that still doesn't tell you the game is over for the virus. It took 40 years to control measles if that gives you any idea. For all, a cautious approach is best. We may be vaccinated but that still doesnt close the gates for other countries where vaccination is as low as 3% of the population. And the virus is reeling with as much chances for mutations as it can get.

I never said it’s over but once most of us are jabbed we should be able to live alongside it and live quite normal lives without hospitals being overrun. We didn’t have lockdowns/ restrictions for 40 years for the measles thanks to vaccines even though it’s 3 times as contagious as Covid. As i said comparing 2020 vs 2021 is pointless. I have also said nothing wrong with being cautious. I’m quite cautious with everything i do every day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Yeah, that always amuses me.
    We disconnected our TV about 3-4 years ago. We only use the TV for streaming services now.
    It’s great without adverts and news broadcasts.
    RTE player gets used for the Toy Show and the odd episode of Primetime.

I read from a couple of news outlets and get my news that way. TV news is always repetitive and lacking in detail. Working in a bar with SkyNews constantly on turned me off TV reporting.

Advertisement