Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

I'm so sick of this idiotic argument

We pay for RTE with our license fee, they're also the most prominent broadcaster in the nation and have a significant amount of influence on the older population in particular.

Their coverage of the pandemic has been a complete disgrace since the beginning, from focusing on every negative scare story they can find to giving the ISAG lunatics a daily platform.

So we'll complain as much as we ****ing like thanks.

No, these threads focus on every negative news story in the constant desire to be offended/find new negative angle. Most people understand that one person asking a question about “potential” risks is not advocating permanent lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

No, these threads focus on every negative news story in the constant desire to be offended/find new negative angle. Most people understand that one person asking a question about “potential” risks is not advocating permanent lockdown

No idea what any of that has to do with RTE tbh. My point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

RTÉ news…featuring a video clip of Gabriel Scally trying to make the Delta variant as scary as possible. Then Caitriona Perry actually asking fellow RTÉ journalist Paul Cunningham should we delay our limited reopening - with low cases and hospitals empty.

Ah feel sorry for the UK this evening .
    At least we now know that the 2 doses work so well , thanks to UK being the canary in the coal mine again, and if we can get them into arms before we open up to travel we will be ok .
    Any Delta variant is under control here and no rises in cases hospitalised , so RTE are really just kiteflying and making up headlines here .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When will we see the rise in cases from the shocking scenes Tony saw in Dublin over 2 weeks ago ?

As luck would have it, everybody on South William street that night had had a €9 bagel from a diligent food vendor who had spotted the rising numbers and so acted quickly to save us all from disaster. Kudos to that man or woman.

RTÉ should be rebranded "hypochondria central", they only entertain the worst case scenario and push for excessive caution. If their jobs were on the line as a direct consequence, they wouldn't have the gall to promote a delay in further reopening. It's a despicable "anyone's livelihood but mine" mentality.

Think you are all taking every negative too seriously .

In a 2 minute news clip you are not going to get the nuance or detail that so many here seem to expect.

If you want that detail read a good newspaper or watch the more in depth briefings.

• Advertisement

I'm so sick of this idiotic argument

We pay for RTE with our license fee, they're also the most prominent broadcaster in the nation and have a significant amount of influence on the older population in particular.

Their coverage of the pandemic has been a complete disgrace since the beginning, from focusing on every negative scare story they can find to giving the ISAG lunatics a daily platform.

So we'll complain as much as we ****ing like thanks.

You know you can complain directly to RTE by emailing their complaints department ?
    I have suggested this before , it is very cathartic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭User1998

Personally I think the reason there has been no covid spikes from the groups in town on the canals and recently in city centre is that majority of them attending never cared for covid and already had it hence the immunity, they didnt just all stop caring for covid and head to town.

What an idiotic statement. A few young people out enjoying themselves, forced onto the streets after spending over a year of their lives in lockdown and you paint them all with the same brush assuming they never cared for covid and have all had covid before, just because they are young? Shame on you

Why do ye watch if it if offends so much?

So let's say 5,000 people in the country enjoy watching RTE with all the doom and gloom, that's perfectly acceptable to you because, for the rest of us, it's our problem for being offended?

What sort of logic is that if we are all paying for the service.

Why do ye watch if it if offends so much?

2 weeks back people were suggesting we should just ignore Tony’s tweets if we don’t like them. But he knew damn well that the media would run wild with that. Yet barely anyone has mentioned the lack of new cases from those gatherings.

Covid is pure hysteria. And RTÉ know well that constantly reporting negative news feeds that hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

prunudo wrote: »
    Surely at this stage nobody is taking them seriously. From what I've seen over the last few weekends, the Irish population are over covid and out and about living their lives again.

Nobody with any sense is but unfortunately there is still a lot of scared people out there they are taking advantage of. Disgraceful really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's fine to have opinions but there's a lot of statements being made that aren't opinions, they are telling us how it is and how this virus works and how it's all over.

Now Now Eagle. Not that long ago when you too told us it was all over! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

is_that_so wrote: »
    To quote Catherine Tate, am I boverred? It's what he does and as CMO he's entitled to comment.

I do think he should be asked to comment on the apparent lack of negative outcome, given that his comments clearly implied there would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Now Now Eagle. Not that long ago when you too told us it was all over!
    Please stop attempting to troll me.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/antigen-testsdetectjust-half-of-positive-covid-19-cases-in-asymptomatic-patients-hse-study-finds-40539441.html

The report doesn't seem to indicate that antibody testing was carried out to determine if people were already infected and recovered.

I get the RTE frustration and really despise that they keep rolling out Scally et al to almost manufacture bad news.

However, the reality is bad news sells. No one watches the news or reads papers to read happy, boring news. News organisations and certain media have benefited from Covid, no doubt. I don’t think RTE have purposefully whipped up fear, but their reporting on Covid has been tabloidy, lazy and alarmist. It’s sad to see the move towards an outright red top tabloid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I do think he should be asked to comment on the apparent lack of negative outcome, given that his comments clearly implied there would be.

Nah Tony will never ever admit he was wrong about anything, he's the epitome of the doctor God complex

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I get the RTE frustration and really despise that they keep rolling out Scally et al to almost manufacture bad news.

However, the reality is bad news sells. No one watches the news or reads papers to read happy, boring news. News organisations and certain media have benefited from Covid, no doubt. I don’t think RTE have purposefully whipped up fear, but their reporting on Covid has been tabloidy, lazy and alarmist. It’s sad to see the move towards an outright red top tabloid.

The RTE reporters are just parrots for the government/NPHET at this stage. Nearly every utterance from them is a preprepared statement and regurgitation without any questions.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭User1998

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/antigen-testsdetectjust-half-of-positive-covid-19-cases-in-asymptomatic-patients-hse-study-finds-40539441.html

The report doesn't seem to indicate that antibody testing was carried out to determine if people were already infected and recovered.

Whats the big deal about antigen testing not picking up on some asymptomatic cases? Its been proven that asymptomatic spread is minimal so does it really matter all that much if the test fails to detect some asymptomatic cases?

Aren’t most cases caused by super spreaders which antigen tests can detect and reduce?

Antigen testing seems to be fairly accurate if you exclude asymptomatic cases?

That isn't the point I'm making. It is a report designed from the outset to reach a conclusion. They didn't do antibody testing. It is nothing more than toilet paper. I am willing to be corrected but I did a keyword search for antibody testing and found nothing in the signed report.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

User1998 wrote: »
    Correctly identifies about 70% of positive symptomatic people if correctly administered, iirc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That isn't the point I'm making. It is a report designed from the outset to reach a conclusion. They didn't do antibody testing. It is nothing more than toilet paper. I am willing to be corrected but I did a keyword search for antibody testing and found nothing in the signed report.

Are you essentially saying that the week Holohan has to go before a govt committee to talk about antigen testing, that you believe this report was published as it backs up NPHETs vies on antigen testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Ficheall wrote: »
    Correctly identifies about 70% of positive symptomatic people if correctly administered, iirc?

I think they are a great concept and should be used for the flu https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/clinician_guidance_ridt.htm

How many lives would be saved every year if people use antigen tests for the flu and stay home rather than infect others (as opposed to a cold).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think they are a great concept and should be used for the flu https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/clinician_guidance_ridt.htm

How many lives would be saved every year if people use antigen tests for the flu and stay home rather than infect others (as opposed to a cold).
    I'd agree re the flu, tbh, since it might stop people would otherwise be out and about spreading.

It's not as clear for covid, since people are already not out and about as much, so the antigen test might allow some staying in to go out, but might also incorrectly suggest to some staying in that they are safe to go out. Big "depends" there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

User1998 wrote: »
    Whats the big deal about antigen testing not picking up on some asymptomatic cases? Its been proven that asymptomatic spread is minimal so does it really matter all that much if the test fails to detect some asymptomatic cases?

Aren’t most cases caused by super spreaders which antigen tests can detect and reduce?

Asymptomatic cases can still spread the virus. Those asymptomatic people could also go on to develop symptoms and be at the beginning of their infection.

25% of cases are asymptomatic. That was back in march anyway. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/one-in-four-now-testing-positive-for-covid-19-are-asymptomatic-1.4508650%3fmode=amp

The fact that it missed half of the asymptomatic infected cases and still missed 20% of the highly infectious cases is a poor result.

It also stated there that these participants self swabbed but were supervised and the test was performed by professionals.

The performance would likely be worse if participants had done the test themselves from start to finish unsupervised.

Asymptomatic cases can still spread the virus. Those asymptomatic people could also go on to develop symptoms and be at the beginning of their infection.

25% of cases are asymptomatic. That was back in march anyway. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/one-in-four-now-testing-positive-for-covid-19-are-asymptomatic-1.4508650%3fmode=amp

The fact that it missed half of the asymptomatic infected cases and still missed 20% of the highly infectious cases is a poor result.

It also stated there that these participants self swabbed but were supervised and the test was performed by professionals.

The performance would likely be worse if participants had done the test themselves from start to finish unsupervised.
    You keep peddling this line and the fact remains that asymptomatic subjects generally aren't shedding virus. You present them like they're modern day Typhoid Marys.

You keep peddling this line and the fact remains that asymptomatic subjects generally aren't shedding virus. You present them like they're modern day Typhoid Marys.

Peddling this line?
    Haha , she works in the area , what is your source for the claims you make ? :D

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Peddling this line?
    Haha , she works in the area , what is your source for the claims you make ? :D
    The poster is no expert in the field.

The poster is no expert in the field.

So are you ?

She has posted reliably all along here so many would find her poste a lot more reliable and informative than ....some others :)

Goldengirl wrote: »
    So are you ?

She has posted reliably all along here so many would find her poste a lot more reliable and informative than ....some others :)
    I feel you are threatened by my postings and seek to discredit them by any means possible.
    The poster talks a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Peddling what.

That asymptomatic spread occurs.

Here's what the CDC found.
    A study using a decision analytical model estimated that more than half of novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infections were likely transmitted by individuals not presenting with symptoms
    https://www.infectiousdiseaseadvisor.com/home/topics/covid19/cdc-determines-at-least-half-of-coronavirus-infections-transmitted-by-asymptomatic-individuals/

Advertisement