Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You missed the "vast majority of people" bit.

We are still injecting children Ffs.

Deplorable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I don't think too many are getting their kids vaccinated. There wasn't a massive uptake in the children's vaccine. Both myself and my husband had covid at Christmas and the kids didn't catch it so we said no the vaccine and have never doubted our decision. And based on the evidence in our house it's been a good decision. My kids have been sicker with vomiting bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I feel sorry for the people of China. Omicron is hitting now and their only reaction is LOCKDOWN. They will have a hard time containing the highly transmissable virus unless you have a permanent lockdown. You won’t contain or eradicate it. The future and freedoms of China’s people is looking very bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,474 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Obviously you have all the numbers so can you give us a breakdown of the number of deaths by age bracket in this country from covid please.

Let's say over 65's and under 65's.

Majority rules in a democratic society. Do you want to live in some other form of society? If so find another country that suits your needs.

• Advertisement

Please explain what's wrong with vaccinating kids? Back it up with proof from respected scientists and doctors or don't bother replying.

You seem angry that restrictions and lockdowns are gone. It’s time you got used to it. If you’re frightened you stay at home and let other people get on with their lives.

You were in an accident which is unfortunate. Life isn’t safe. It has risks. Maybe if we were in lockdown for the last 20 years maybe your accident may not have happened., right?

Democracies turn themselves into tyrannies during times of war (we may observe this in real time soon), and, from now on, it seems: during times of pandemic (recall that lockdown was never a part of pandemic response strategy under ECDC or UK SAGE guidelines prior to 2020). Pandemic and disease are an inherent component of human existence from the beginning of time, yet lockdown of healthy people has not been.

Frankly, I'd rather have lived anywhere other than Ireland the past two years - but it's not currently financially viable. The moment it is, I shall consider moving to a democracy that has moderation and restraint and is less vulnerable to tyranny of the majority - I've said it before and no doubt will say it again: There is more to life than the avoidance of death.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Hong Kong is currently recording some of the worst death figures of the entire pandemic. Seen some estimates that put less than 50% of China's elderly vaccinated and most of them with inferior inactivated vaccines.

Things could get really ugly there over the next few weeks.

You are delusional if you think I miss lockdowns or facemasks.

I'll still wear an ffp2 in crowds for a bit of personal protection but generally I avoid crowds and that's something that I've done for many years prior to covid. I prefer to spend my time with less people around so I can actually have a conversation without struggling to hear what people are saying.

By the way I hate masks. Only reason I'll wear them in busy places is to continue to try and avoid covid as I haven't contracted it yet. I'd like to continue to avoid it for another four years or so if I could until such time as we can be sure there are no long terms affects from contracting it.

Of course you probably think that's unreasonable but I'd suggest you really haven't a clue what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

No point vaccinating kids against something that is harmless to them.

Digging into their innocent brains that they are fighting in some sort of war.

And yes, just 3 months ago that's what Leo said.

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said the fight against the Covid-19 virus would be a ‘long war’ that could go on for many years.

Then suddenly a real war comes along and out pretend war is all forgotten about.

I've been through tougher times than covid living in this country. The last two years were tough but doing the right thing to protect against a disease that ended so many lives was the right thing to do imo.

If I was reckless and ended up passing the virus onto somebody that died I'd never be able to forgive myself.

Protecting my own parents and family was paramount as it's always been.

I read a lot from respected people worldwide on this virus.

I don't watch Irish TV at all so never got affected by RTE or any other source which drove a fear through a lot if society.

I live my life using math to find the best way forward from financial and risk assessment points of view.

Actually i still wear masks in public and take all the precautions for now, i avoid large gatherings too for now . My work involves dealing with the public so i have always been a high risk of catching it. I have absolutely nothing against you for wearing masks and taking precautions.

One thing i’m against is shutdowns and lockdowns. We can’t go on like that forever.

I asked you to back up your response with quotes from respected scientists and doctors but you didn't do that. I won't be wasting my time reading any more of your personal uneducated views.

Actually I'm finished with this now for the moment. So if you quote me don't expect a response.

I think it puts to bed that Omicron is milder than other variants. I think the lesser impact is a combination of immunity from previous infections and vaccination, that’s how it looks anyway?

That's not an unreasonable reply.

I have lived in various different democracies in my time and each has pros and cons, naturally. Smaller democracies have shown a tendency toward majority tyranny, however.

My chief complaint with the approach was proportionality and the elimination of individual choice. Covid is very selective in it's targets, yet we tackled it with very unselective methods. If we were talking about smallpox (mortality rate of about 30%), then I could understand the approach. But, we were talking about a disease that prior to vaccines had a mortality rate of (as estimated by the University of Cambridge) less than 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Emotional manipulation.

That was another one from the "follow the science" crew when confronted with statements that went against their world view. The fact remains that for the vast majority of the population, without vaccines, it is a mild illness and always has been.

Disappearing now that you have been called out on something. Not surprised tbh.

For 2 years you lived in a pretend war and now your little world has been shattered by a real war.

Under the age of 40, without vaccines the mortality rate from suicide per 100,000 of the population was three times higher than the mortality rate from COVID. Surely that says a lot when almost half our population is under 40.

But I never heard calls to treat mental health in younger people as an emergency. Our COVID response was directed by groupthink at the decision maker level; older people in their 50s and 60s make up the majority of the positions of power in politics, health and business in this country, and they were the ones at risk from COVID so, with their positions of power, were able to coordinate society wide restrictions notwithstanding that for over half the population I would use the word "negligible" to describe COVID infections (assuming the negligible barometer is needing to go to hospital for treatment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Don't feed it lads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Your definition of a "mild" illness is one that is unlikely to kill you? Wherever one stands on the severity of covid, that's not a great definition..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A mild illness is one that does not require medical intervention, however awful someone may feel lying in their bed at home. As it stands now that is COVID. Earlier variants were more lethal because we did not have the tools to treat them.

It was actually a milder variant that helped most - Omicron.

It's impact on South Africa was much less than delta and the vaccination rate there was still low (around 26% if I recall correctly). This is often a natural way for pandemics to end, as they have ended throughout history (the emergence of a milder variant). The vaccines made a difference, no argument there - but we must not forget that they were not the big game changer we hoped they would be. Recall that restrictions were being re-introduced, despite 90%+ vaccination rate (hospitality curfew) prior to the evidence that Omicron was milder.

So now we have people sueing the HSE because their 89 mother dies of natural causes.

The daughter of one of the first pensioners to die in Ireland after contracting Covid-19 has launched legal action against the HSE and the nursing home where she died.

Linda Maples said she is disgusted with the country’s health service, and believes those running it should “hang their heads in shame” over what happened.

Florence O’Shaughnessy, 89, was one of around 23 residents to die in Tara Winthrop Nursing Home, Swords, north Co Dublin. The mother of six died on April 23, 2020.

COVID is going nowhere.

For as long as you live you may pass a virus onto a vulnerable person who will die as a result. That's reality. Unless you prepared to lock yourself in a basement until you die.

You mention that you use Math but it doesn't seem to be a very strong subject for you.

Finally, I currently have COVID and it's less severe than a headcold. For your own good I hope you don't lock yourself away for years to try avoid getting a scratchy throat...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The HSE get sued all the time. That's a duty of care thing and care homes had quite a lot to answer for in the early days, on basic infection control. Not sure why they are suing the HSE in this case, it's a private care home and that falls under HIQA purview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ben Gilroy saying survival rate is 99.97% while on Worldometer website it is 99.5%.

He never mentioned that going from 98^ to 99.5% was due to the vaccine.

People will be suing the pharma companies next for not creating immortality elixirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,660 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are the Ukrainians coming in all vaccinated?

Advertisement