Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It started out as a novel virus with severe cases close to 20% and a death rate of somewhere between 1-3% depending on how well your health system worked. Keeping people apart, i.e. these dubious laws, was seen as a very sensible move especially given how fragile our hospital system is. We're still doing that anyway with the continuing isolation advice.

Vaccination was to mitigate the severity. Sure, the initial claims were that it prevented disease but mutations and the limitations of vaccine protection itself meant that was more a message to get vaccinated but they still protect against severe illness. Severe illness is not having to stay home wondering if this is the worst you've ever felt, it means a need for hospitalisation.

Whether many of us needed to be vaccinated is a valid question but when somewhere in the order of half the population could be classed as at risk either through age or specific conditions there was a decent case to make this mass vaccination. In future it'll be as needed and your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

That’s all fair enough. As I say I just think it’s a bit peculiar when you are limiting people’s freedoms and segregating people to encourage vaccine uptake when the vaccine doesn’t seem to do a whole lot for the majority of people. I had covid last week and luckily it was very mild, I'm unvaccinated, meanwhile a whole lot of people I know got a bad dose of it recently despite having the three shots. Was all the money spent and the disruption to daily life and the economy and sneering in the media really worth it. Surely only the vulnerable needed this and I think that was clear for a very long time, this isn’t something we only know retrospectively . In the future who will bother with novel vaccines if this is how good they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

So what professionals advice should he be listening to then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

You were given out to for not wearing a mask? Maybe because you were on here last week with what felt like a cold and asking about getting covid antigen tests. And if you didn't test positive you were going to end your isolation despite having symptoms. Which is nothing like your old account banging on about doing the right thing. Until you catch it yourself and you weren't badly affected, so all is ok to do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nor surprised by that in the slightest. Imagine the glut of articles if he mentioned that he was "concerned"

• Advertisement

The media are gutted. Covid has been win win all along, no shortage of easy to over dramatise content and substantial advertising revenue from the HSE.

They knocked a month out of the Ukraine war but interest in that is starting to wane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Independent.ie still trying, top headline (despite the invasion, worrying inflation and other stories):

LATEST Revealed: What counties are Covid hotspots amid rise in hospital cases

Covid-19 hotspots around the country have been revealed amid a record daily number of patients with the virus admitted to hospital.

First mention of putting masks on 9 year olds and above on Rte today. ‘Immunology expert’ Loscher in an article. Despicable really. CMO says otherwise yet some trumped up lecturer wants to mask kids.

Some people have gone insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Jesus Christ! They can’t give it up! The CMO has given the advice now move on. As much as I didn’t agree with Holahan I followed the rules! Why can’t they now listen to him? Lauding him only a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And people here were lambasting him only a few months ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Testing back up at 20k now.

Trump was right, the more you test the more you find.

Add on another another 15k antigens & the media will be all over a record day of cases, the IMNO will be on their bike, Claire Byrne/Pat Kenny will be in overdrive . . .

What a time to be alive

Even Tony has learned to see the wood from the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Are these PCR tests? Why are so many people so eager to prove that they have Covid now? Given it's a mild illness for the vast majority, why does it matter? I don't get it. Surely it's more hassle to go and get PCR tested than its worth. Waste of money, petrol and plastic. Get an antigen test and be done with it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely that jut test in general ?

I don't get why anyone is bothering to test anymore, If your not seriously ill just get on with it,

We have been told we will all catch it anyway ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

8,910 PCR-confirmed cases of Covid-19 and 14,215 positive antigen tests logged through the HSE portal.

Some people need proof for sick leave payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

true. I’m not a medic but was quite good at maths at school. Along with knowledge of maths I’ve the ability to critique risk to my life and people close to me. Masks do nothing to increase the safety of said people and are psychologically damaging to my young children.

It’s very simple ….. if you believe masks are of benefit then simply buy an FFP medical grade mask , wear it as much as you want and get the hell out of everyone else’s business and life. Your mask spouting from a crumbling hill is ineffective against intelligent people of society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The Taoiseach now coming out to say there is no further justification for restrictions, following Varadker and Holohan yesterday. Now it really does seem like the extremists are the ones on Twitter and in the media who think we should have mandatory anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,474 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I never mentioned masks in the post you quoted but I do have ffp2 masks and I'll wear them in a crowded place and they do give some protection to the wearer.

Anytime you fancy taking me on in a math contest I'm game for it as I too live my life using math.

To this point I haven't had covid and I hope that position holds for another five years. You see it takes that long for scientists to get a full picture about a virus.

We don't know yet if there are any long term affects from contracting this virus. All we know is that the vaccines, which are not really vaccines, lessen the severity of the virus.

Intelligent people read and listen to scientists who are unbiased and not shouting from rooftops. Intelligent people heed their advice.

As I've said earlier I always have an ffp2 mask in my pocket for when I'm entering a busy place, I don't wear it if the place I'm going is not crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

What’s happening there? The vociferous ‘mask everyone up’ crowd are as vocal as ever but they are now being ignored, more or less - or at least being told to ‘cool it’ by prominent politicians and the CMO. Is there a secret poll with a genuine reflection of the wants of the people - rather than the carefully worded polls in media in recent times? They’ve been led by the nose by “polls” all along.

Example question “are you worried for the health of your loved ones and would like some restrictions reimposed to keep them safer”? - 70% are worried for the health of their loved ones, therefore 70% support reintroduction of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Any craic on our anti-virals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,671 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Over 23,000 new cases according to VM1

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Many companies deducting €350 from sick pay - you have to claim the shortfall from the DSS and easiest if you have some concrete proof of infection. Had to get a test myself today, otherwise wouldn't have bothered.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

The obvious name from the start would have been Public Health Advisory Group, but for some reason they decided not to go with that one...

100412.2526@compuserve.com

324 nursing home outbreaks today, where everybody wears a mask.

Clearly, these masks are a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

They totally work!!! No doubt Holahan would’ve been on the blower to the Govt if he was in any way concerned… The fact he hasn’t speaks a thousand words

Phag. It doesn't have the same ring to it as 'neffit'. There's also the danger of it being pronounced as.......well I'm sure you can see what I mean. Can you imagine. 'In the latest briefing from Phag'. Sniggers at the back and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Do you think residents wear masks in a nursing home?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

They must have missed the memo that they're meant to be flying blue and yellow flags and accusing people of being pro-Russian.

Due to inherent limitations of the human attention span we tend to do one media-driven crisis at a time. Two is too many.

• Advertisement

At this point we are dealing with an extremely mild virus that is also extremely transmissible. We simply can't prevent it from spreading unless we go fully nuclear and closed literally everything and imprisoned people in their homes. That is not going to happen.

There may well be a lot of people in hospital "with" Covid but we simply have to deal with it as best as we can. The stats show that very few in hospital are actually really sick.

Eventually we'll have to relax the testing and isolating in hospitals and hysteria will die off.

Advertisement