Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

From my limited experience concerning people I know, including close family, it is far more than a glorified head cold in some cases. I certainly don't want to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Rubbish.

We had an estimated 500000 cases a week at Christmas when we had restrictions.

Masks were a waste of time then and nothing has changed.

I think it's 52 in ICU, half in for something else so 26.

Over half of those are unvaccinated so we have about 10 vaccinated people sick with covid in Ireland tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The hype is a joke

Anyone with half a brain knows it's all drama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

Have they started to release the vaccination status break down again.

I cannot find it at the moment.

• Advertisement

Which is why none of them are calling for something that actually works, like reducing our contacts.

They only want masks because its something that can be seen.

Not seen anything lately.

Shaming the unvaccinated seems to be off the agenda. It's all about masks.

Also the nationality of the unvaccinated in icu, I believe a lot are Eastern European.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭Xander10

Afraid not, I was told that by a GP.

The ersi had estimated only about 60% Eastern Europeans were vaccinated so they would have a disproportionate presence in ICU alright.

How long until the emergency powers lapse? I think if we ‘hold firm’ til then, we’re in the clear. Politicians don’t seem to have budged. (In a slightly perverse way, the top brass all catching Covid and being absolutely fine maybe has focused minds)

If we give in now and bring back masks, we’re looking at on/off restrictions for all of 2022, whenever the twitterati decide they’re outraged at something.

If the permanently scared get their way on this, wait until it comes the time of summer music festivals etc, 30,000 people frolicking and drinking. Social media will put paid to all them fun things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They expire midnight Thursday, to extend for 3 months requires a Dail vote before Thursday night and I've not seen any hint of that in the order of business.

Thanks. We’d really needing to be hearing from Micheal or Leo ASAP if there is to be a spanner in the works so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,436 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Good to see the government hold strong.

The extremists cannot be allowed to get their way here and enable the government to retain emergency situation powers. Particularly when we have to take in largely unvaccinated Ukranian refugees. If the pro-restrictions crew had their way we would effectively close out borders to the Ukranian refugees. It is xenophobic at this point what the restrictions crew are doing and need to be called out as such, they should be deplatformed and given no legitimacy or credibility whatsoever.

its on every media outlet all day. The Tonight Show just had a segment on reintroduction of restrictions. Delighted Jack Chambers held his nerve and his cool. Its getting ridiculous. The media are responsible for so much of this hype! If they said nothing we would just be getting on with life.

My sister and her husband who had literally locked themselves up for the last 2 years, in absolute terror of Covid and who fell out with most of the rest of our family over how we felt about restrictions, finally both caught Covid last week. One has no symptoms whatsoever, the other has a cold, lots of sneezing and runny nose, that's it! One is 71, the other is 63, one had a triple heart bypass 10 months ago, the other has numerous underlying health conditions.

We are all hoping they might relax now that they finally got Covid. This is the case for the vast vast vast majority of people getting Covid in this wave, its a non event, exactly like the common cold.

Proper order

A joke if we back down and get restricted everytime ICU is full

I hope people can finally see the media for what they are now. It’s been said a lot during the pandemic, and usually pawned off as conspiracy rubbish, but, they have been instrumental in pushing the hysteria.

The government, CMO and NPHET are all finally on the same page and agree nothing is required. Yet the media still run with it. They’ve been nothing short of a disgrace, with a few minor exceptions. Covid has made a career for so many, no intention of stopping it.

It's gonna be fireworks tomorrow and next day

An absolute disgrace if we back down to the media and hospital unions and celebrity medics

Hold firm lads

• Registered Users Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Some crazy yokes on the TV tonight. Hysterical reaction from some of these panels around making masks mandated yet sitting in a studio without a mask on themselves. Bloody hypocrites, the lit of them.

They have a serious hard on for whipping up a frenzy and begging for restrictions to be brought back in.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

What's worse is ICU is almost empty in terms of vaccinated covid patients.

Looks like we're holding out . I knew this would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree.

GPs have to start seeing patients again and helping triage so that our barely functioning health service can get back to some semblance of normality .

Whatever about Paul Reid ....🙄he is on a (solo ) mission ....I think you are wrong blaming hospitals for spread with the most infectious variant let loose ,and testing barely able to pick it up .

Most people are doing antigen tests while symptomatic and are a few days like this before the present iteration of tests can pick this particular strain up . Something to do with this variant being called ' the stealth' variant ...

It is time to bring back PCR testing for everybody who is symptomatic , no matter age . The only test reliably picking this strain up .

In hospital you say they are spreading it ? ?

All are meant to be tested on admission and isolated properly until results are back .

That gets a bit difficult when there are no more isolation rooms available and with present numbers .

Now if we had a healthservice utilising private hospitals where there are an abundance of single rooms , maybe ?

And for the record , apart from in healthcare and crowded indoor environments / public transport, maskwearing is not being either pushed or recommended by nursing unions or healthcare professionals.

No mandate , personal choice , and recommendations , as far as I am aware . And that is the way I hope it will stay .

This variant is, while very infectious , not causing severe illness in a largely vaccinated population , so Paul Reid et al need to dial it back .

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well then you should continue to wear your mask, but be aware that it likely won't make much of a difference in terms of you getting covid or not. I think masks at this stage are relatively useless, but respect your right to wear one if it makes you feel more comfortable.

For what it's worth, I wasn't calling out individual mask wearing as pointless, but rather the notion that we need to go back to collective, imposed mask wearing in busy places.

As usual your reasoning is incorrect, skewed towards reductionism , and just another comment that displays lack of understanding of the present situation ...who exactly is calling for return to " restrictions " and maybe leave out your maths on the numbers Covid in ICU as that is just plain wrong ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Ignoring the ten a penny cranks like Staines, O'Neil and random GPs, at a more official level we have Anne O'Connor, COO of the HSE, Phil Ni Sheaghdha, gen sec of the INMO moaning about needing public restrictions as part of some new quango. They issued a letter (ultra vires it seems) on behalf of the taskforce which consists of an echo chamber of unions, officials from the Department of Health and patient advocate groups.

The Indo’s political correspondent has paraphrased the governments thinking into it being a ‘let it rip style approach’ as the way to stop it would be unthinkable.

Some progress in government at least as they seem to accept now that washing your hands, wearing a filthy cloth mask and closing businesses won’t stop an airborne virus. Slowly, the penny is dropping all around us that life just needs to move on.

The last bump in the road is the HSE looking for restrictions to gloss over the fact it is unfit for purpose and is destined to suffer with overcrowding every single year no matter what viruses do or don’t exist.

That's always been the problem the HSE

They'll be back in winter looking for reftrictions now the cats outta the bag

Don't sort out the problem just restrict the punlic

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Have some family members like that, one in particular was shocked that I wasn't wearing a mask at work when I caught Covid, after two years. The same person goes out drinking in pubs with no mask, so what is different 🤷‍♀️. Mustn't be able to catch it while out drinking.

• Advertisement

You say this but don't say what was in the letter or what exactly they were asking for...👏 fullmarks for stirring the pot .

Not a quango . Emergency Taskforce which includes patient advocacy groups among others .

Moaning ...🙄..seeing others here doing just that even when all restrictions gone because they are being asked to wear masks in congested settings , not a big deal really .

Others blaming the health service " for not doing more " ..what the f more can the health service do if people can't wear a mask in certain situations ?

Nobidy listening to the 'cranks'you mention . Very few would be listening to the anti mask anti vaxx anti establishment people who refuse to do anything they are advised to to protect themselves or others either .

Nothing from the others more than has been said before . Wear a mask in a crowded setting not just to protect yourself but to try to keep spread down sowe don't end up in a situation where more restrictions become necessary .

This will be an ongoing situation with surges every so often. It's annoying but not the end of the world.

There are worse scenarios out there .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Advertisement