Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Actually not fair or correct.

Most issues with the health service will never get sorted while there is high levels of covid in the community . Staff in hospitals are firefighting and change in any organisation is restricted in those circumstances.

For all that most people know at this stage , or should know that levels in the community will affect availability of beds and services inevitably , and any measure that can reduce community levels need to be employed albeit shortterm, to try to improve the situation.

That means back to all of us and everybody, known as " the public " .

A pain isn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I have moved on . Long before you re/ joined the thread .

I support nurses and think that a temporary increase in use of masks might give them a dig out. Nobody is forcing you .

So nurses and other healthcare professionals are vocal hysterical loons now ?

Not going to reply further as that is a disgraceful and completely unjust statement there .

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

The longer this list gets, the further away the booster gets.... Sorry Pfizer 😁

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No, I think all the dopes on twitter and the likes who think mask wearing is going to make any difference whatsoever are hysterical loons.

It is unsurprising that some who work in healthcare are calling for restrictions. Had restrictions been a thing pre-covid when hospitals were queued out the door every single flu season they'd have called for restrictions back then too.

Wear a mask, don't wear a mask, that's up to individuals. The reality is they make no difference, if people want to wear one to make themselves feel better I fail to see the issue, but to enforce it is nonsensical and not supported by any data at all.

You said covid is only mild now because of what was forced upon us.

This is absolutely false. And I say that as someone who is overwhelmingly pro-vaccination for covid.

You also said removal of restrictions has not led to less infections. Well yes, obviously. That was the whole point.

No one once called nurses hysterical loons. The people calling for masks are ISAG loons, RTE presenters, and lobby and interest groups. Even the HSE group that called for masks weren’t in unison. Anyway, this group was set up to address overcrowding in 2014, they’ve done a great job obviously…

There are nurses who don’t think masks will make a difference, just like the CMO. There is no way of just helping out ‘a little bit’. It’s either full lockdown to control it, or plough on through. Government and health officials have acknowledge this. The rest need to catch up.

Friday can't come fast enough, we need to get over the finish line and ditch those emergency laws before someone in power has a "great idea" and extends them.

It should hopefully also kill the debate in the media because they'll need to push new laws through the Dail after they lapse, and I can't see them being universally supported like they were last time, but then again, flogging a dead horse can still sells papers.....

Only three more sleeps 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The INMO want to force me.

The Tánaiste's comments come in the wake of calls from the General Secretary of the INMO for the reintroduction of mandatory mask wearing in certain places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Cars are the place that seat belts are used most, but most death on the roads happens as a result of car carashes. Just goes to show that seat belts are pure useless.

That's the sort of logic that keeps getting pushed out around here. Think about what you're saying, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The one from the INMO certainly is.

Interviewed outdoors on a lovely day wearing a mask to try score some cheap point.

Made an absolute tool out of herself, I'd be embarrassed if she was my representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

This is it

I don't trust Donnelly and a few more to hold out for too long

Holohan at least has a backbone and probably won't want to row back on his decisions anyway

"masks make no difference". How did you come up with brilliant piece of utter boll*x?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Will there be another booster?

The masks that the general population wear are not effective against super transmissible variants like Omicron.

I would have thought this was well known by now, and not even up for dispute.

So again if you read my post properly you would have seen that 1) that enforcement is not being looked for and 2) that mask wearing was used in hospitals pre Covid for infectious patients , as proven to reduce transmission despite the " Don't like them and thus they don't work " attitude of some people .

Of course how you wear them and what type of mask in what type of situation makes a difference ....but there is a whole other thread for that discussion.

Typical ...3 posts from you jumping on a bandwagon without reading what I was saying ...what a waste of time !

Have to admit I was giving out about that myself..just making the point I think but totally unnecessary 😁

She is representative of the INMO , btw , not ALL nurses .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is a pretty disingenuous take. Saying that masks, as a whole, make no difference to the spread of SARS-CoV-2 is blatant misinformation.

Here's a pretty conclusive up-to-date study conducted by the Max Planck institute for one: https://www.mpg.de/17916867/coronavirus-masks-risk-protection

It took what was increasingly obvious about Corona, modelling it as an airborne virus and analysed the problem across a variety of methods, exposure times, mask types and environmental conditions.

There's plenty of issues in Ireland specifically when it comes to this issue. The initial himming and hawing over whether they should be used, allowing plastic shields in front of your face, allowing bits of cloth and rag as a "mask", all that. But we compounded that by having little to no education on their effective use, what they can or can't do, making available FPP2 masks far too late, or avoiding the chronic repeat-use of them and outdoors too (where rain and high-moisture environments immediately ruin the filtration effect).

But, in saying all that, we are roughly at the point where they don't make any sense from an epidemiological perspective. The Omicron genie is well and truly out of the bottle and even immediately reintroducing effective masking rules like Germany had with FPP2 masks, won't stop infection en-masse in the wider population over the next couple of weeks.

The real issue I have is the timing of the relaxation, before we have any deliveries of paxlovid to date and would be able to keep literally hundreds of those hospitalised for covid to recover safely at home. We only have small stocks of the one effective monoclonal antibody treatment and it has to be administered in a hospital.

But please let's not say that actually-useful respirators are a useless waste of time

@[Deleted User] yes , as much progress as was allowed given funding and cutbacks .

And that poster I was replying to discounted all the moderate healthcare professionals who want maskwearing " encouraged " in areas that were already meant to be enocouraged.

Nobody that I know or work with wants anything mandatory .

However our totally hands off Health Minister has not said a word until today.

The cmo is gone to pleasanter fields .

Apologies if I have been unclear, but all along here I have been talking about introducing masks at a macro level in Ireland being useless, not on an individual level. Of course if someone buys the best mask, and is careful about how they wear it, and adheres strictly to this it will be effective, but this is not how the overwhelming majority will operate. Many of those pontificating about mask wearing (the "omg I'm the only person on the bus with a mask, we're a nation of idiots!" crowd) are pissing in the wind wearing their cloth mask, probably last washed a week ago if you're lucky. Of those people who I do still see wearing masks, the overwhelming majority are wearing the wrong sort.

To bring back a mask mandate is a pointless exercise in virtue signalling at this point, as the health minister said (and was presumably instructed by his relevant experts) the only thing that will be effective now is severe restrictions and this is totally unwarranted.

If people want to wear a mask to make themselves feel more comfortable or that they are contributing to society that is up to them, they should not be ridiculed for it. But suggesting that we all need to start wearing masks to solve this problem is re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic. It won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

I was referring to the Cafe and Hotel managers

Not Germans in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It doesn’t matter its an unnecessary and highly offensive slur to call anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I don't think you can back up anything in your post. Any data which will support your claims....nope.

But strong in words there. Another freedom fighter calling others dopes. Well done.

I'm no freedom fighter, as I said already I am pro vaccine, I was pro restrictions earlier, I was pro masks earlier in the pandemic too. But circumstances change, and they are no longer relevant, and unfortunately there are a lot of dopes on twitter and whatever else getting themselves all worked up over inconsequential things. As I've also said numerous times, if people want to wear a mask that's up to them, but moaning that everyone else isn't wearing one is genuinely daft at this point.

The masks that the overwhelming majority of the general population wear (i.e. not the N95 / FFP2 masks) are NOT effective against the super transmissible variants like omicron. This is not even a contentious point at this stage.

What we do know though, in locations where proper masks (i.e. n95/ffp2 masks) ARE worn, covid is rampant. One way we know this is by the fact that at least 50% of the people who have covid in healthcare settings catch it in healthcare settings, where mask wearing is extremely rigorous.

We also know, thanks to the health minister (and presumably his expert advisors) that anything short of extreme restrictions being imposed on a macro level is a total waste of time.

This pandemic has given quite a number of hypochondriacs a lot of public attention and I think some of them are having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that this is all coming to an end and the reality is that everyone moving on with their lives now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Masking might be rampant in those settings, only for the medical personnel. Doubt patients do the same and visitors. Anyway, claiming masks do not work based on your "data" has no credibility. It's like the poster who posted his favourite line numerous times on COVID threads but but we had 26000 cases so masks don't work..

No need for data any more, looks like King Tony isn't for turning and the legal requirements for masks will once and for all become a welcome thing of the past by Friday.

The people who are concerned about covid and want to force masks down our throats will have lost, no amount of howling, tweets, tv appearances and column inches will change it as new laws will need to get voted in by the Dail, and the government won't have the easy ride they had when they introduced them the first time around.

Introducing restrictions without laws to back them up won't cut it either, they'll simply be ignored.

The sooner we can put this bickering, pleading for enforced mask wearing and threats of restrictions behind us, the better. Wear a mask all you want, but don't force it on me.

• Advertisement

More people wear masks in healthcare settings than in any other setting.

It's not just me that believes that reintroducing masks will provide no benefit, it's also the CMO among others.

Advertisement