Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Current Irish numbers based on the daily reports

105/100k/14
    312/5 day
    317/7 day (which would give ~46/100k/7)

Puts us mid tier

Central Europe is well below us in numbers and really heading down quickly.

Is the Delta Variant as contagious as is been made out or have England maybe opened up a bit quicker and that is the issue there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ireland had something not too far away, down to LEA level, which is maybe 25k people
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/8c8ba825c8774bca8cc57cbf3ec7774b

But you may have heard of the massive cyber attack talking out the entire HSE IT infrastructure and possible understand that a reporting dashboard may not be top priority in terms of system recovery

Yes, last I saw it was updated only as far as mid May, which is such a shame as it was a great source of information .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

celt262 wrote: »
    Is the Delta Variant as contagious as is been made out or have England maybe opened up a bit quicker and that is the issue there?
    It seems to be more contagious but they had too many outbreaks through religious festival superspreading events. Low vaccine takeup and hesitancy in some groups is also an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The UK rollout was based around single dose astrazeneca with a long gap.

Worked great until Delta came along.

However their deaths are still in single digits instead of the 1,000+ from January.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-delta-variant-symptoms-headache-b1865531.html#/comments

Delta has very 'coldlike' symptoms, like a runny nose, headache, and sore throat. The worry is that people aren't getting tested with these sort of symptoms and they may still be very contagious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jhegarty wrote: »
    However their deaths are still in single digits instead of the 1,000+ from January.
    We just don't know where this is going to go yet. There's typically a 2-4 week lag between case rises and deaths. The UK is starting to see an increase in hospitalisations, and our past experience is that deaths will surely follow.

But with the vaccine (even one dose) theoretically providing that extra protection against serious illness and death, it's really a waiting game now to see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tony has today said that antigen tests should not be used as a 'green light' for "risky activities" per the Irish Times.

I'm still waiting to hear the impact of the previous risky activities, which were so risky he was 'absolutely shocked', as opposed to having only previously been 'shocked' or 'worried'.

He should be asked to explain why there appears to be no spike as a result of what happened that weekend, otherwise he is not going to sound like an authority on what is a risky activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Tony has today said that antigen tests should not be used as a 'green light' for "risky activities" per the Irish Times.

I'm still waiting to hear the impact of the previous risky activities, which were so risky he was 'absolutely shocked', as opposed to having only previously been 'shocked' or 'worried'.

He should be asked to explain why there appears to be no spike as a result of what happened that weekend, otherwise he is not going to sound like an authority on what is a risky activity.

I do think this is something worth asking more by the media. How can the main person the government are taking medical advice from basically throw a hissy fit on social media about disgraceful and unsafe behavior when there is not a scrap of evidence to prove that there was any spike, or have been any spikes at all from outdoor mixing. It doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I do think this is something worth asking more by the media. How can the main person the government are taking medical advice from basically throw a hissy fit on social media about disgraceful and unsafe behavior when there is not a scrap of evidence to prove that there was any spike, or have been any spikes at all from outdoor mixing. It doesn't add up.

Its believed he will tell the oireachtas committee that there is lack of evidence for the use of rapid antigen testing in certain activity,but will be ok for meat factory's and the like.
    Rte news

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ZX7R wrote: »
    Its believed he will tell the oireachtas committee that there is lack of evidence for the use of rapid antigen testing in certain activity,but will be ok for meat factory's and the like.
    Rte news

This would be strange. UHL hospitals group published research that suggested serial antigen testing in the meat industry setting wasn't very effective at detecting infection.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    This would be strange. UHL hospitals group published research that suggested serial antigen testing in the meat industry setting wasn't very effective at detecting infection.
    Useful where one might expect a higher prevalence, in conjunction with PCR testing seems to be the NPHET position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

is_that_so wrote: »
    Useful where one might expect a higher prevalence, in conjunction with PCR testing seems to be the NPHET position.

Could be wrong but other members of nphet seem very quiet about it, in fact did professor Nolan not want the use of them in college's.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Could be wrong but other members of nphet seem very quiet about it, in fact did professor Nolan not want the use of them in college's.
    That's what he says/will say, according to the RTE article.

Ireland had something not too far away, down to LEA level, which is maybe 25k people
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/8c8ba825c8774bca8cc57cbf3ec7774b

But you may have heard of the massive cyber attack talking out the entire HSE IT infrastructure and possible understand that a reporting dashboard may not be top priority in terms of system recovery
    Germany had their dashboard up and running months before the HSE systems went down. I've been looking at it for many, many months along with daily updates as to how many people are immunized, ICU beds availability and additional stations are available.

Germany had their dashboard up and running months before the HSE systems went down. I've been looking at it for many, many months along with daily updates as to how many people are immunized, ICU beds availability and additional stations are available.

Ireland had theirs up and running for many months too before the hack .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seeing that this is the main pandemic thread, Electric Picnic has now being pushed to the end of September for the dates 24th - 26th, here's hoping this will go ahead now. :)https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/electric-picnic/641694/breaking-electric-picnic-applies-for-licence-to-hold-the-festival-this-year-on-new-dates.html

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

seamus wrote: »
    We just don't know where this is going to go yet. There's typically a 2-4 week lag between case rises and deaths. The UK is starting to see an increase in hospitalisations, and our past experience is that deaths will surely follow.

But with the vaccine (even one dose) theoretically providing that extra protection against serious illness and death, it's really a waiting game now to see what happens next.

The rate of admission to hospital has gone up by about a third from ~85 to ~140 per day but the numbers in hospital are flat - this is over the last 6 weeks, I can't reconcile this.

Given that the delta variant accounts for 7 out of 8 cases already I think this has already peaked.

June 12th - 8k cases
    June 13th - 7.6k cases
    June 14th - 7.3k cases
    June 15th - 7.6k cases

Seeing that this is the main pandemic thread, Electric Picnic has now being pushed to the end of September for the dates 24th - 26th, here's hoping this will go ahead now. :)https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/electric-picnic/641694/breaking-electric-picnic-applies-for-licence-to-hold-the-festival-this-year-on-new-dates.html

That would be great if it works out ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That seems unbelievably optimistic for Ireland

Not a chance actually, after seeing that childish setup called a trial event last week

I’ll eat my hat if EP goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Goldengirl wrote: »
    That would be great if it works out ! :)

I have zero interest in going to EP personally but it would be just brilliant to see it going ahead. That level of normality returning would be a real morale boost.

• Advertisement

Not a chance actually, after seeing that childish setup called a trial event last week

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0615/1228265-boost-of-25-million-for-festivals-and-gigs/

Do you want Ketchup or Mayo with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In fairness that has no statement as to whether its going ahead or not, just that MCD were allocated funding. Most of those grants were for "online events" so EP could end up doing something similar if restrictions dont allow them to go ahead.

Hopefully they can

timmyntc wrote: »
    In fairness that has no statement as to whether its going ahead or not, just that MCD were allocated funding. Most of those grants were for "online events" so EP could end up doing something similar if restrictions dont allow them to go ahead.

Hopefully they can
    EP Republic Limited Festival Republic Dublin €423,135 Live music and theatre shows, comedy acts and arts in Stradbally Hall and Olympia Theatre

This is specific funding for specific events to enable the promoters to ensure they can be ran effectively

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

NPHET answering questions at the Oireachtas committee.

As we all know Oireachtas committees are a fine advertisement for our well informed and knowledgeable politicians.

"You're on mute Senator."

"You're still on mute Senator."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great stuff there from Michael McNamara.

Spent thirty seconds on mute and then asked a question that had already been asked and answered.

What a dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Like when your mum tells you not to play in traffic, and you decide she obviously doesn't know what she's talking about because you didn't get hit.

That's about 4 months away and then there is the fund mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Arghus wrote: »
    Great stuff there from Michael McNamara.

Spent thirty seconds on mute and then asked a question that had already been asked and answered.

What a dude.

Politicians at committees always ask a question that has been previously asked. This practice has been in place for decades. They do this so they verifiably say to their people and put on their election leaflets that they asked X. Showing they "care" about Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ficheall wrote: »
    Like when your mum tells you not to play in traffic, and you decide she obviously doesn't know what she's talking about because you didn't get hit.

Excellent! But hold on - isn't my point that nobody appears to have got hit? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Excellent! But hold on - isn't my point that nobody appears to have got hit? :rolleyes:
    Actually, your point is a common disingenuous misrepresentation of what that tweet actually said. Everyone is saying, "whERe is THe spiKE" even though Tony never said there would be.

His actual words were, "Enormous crowds- like a major open air party. This is what we do not need when we have made so much progress."

There was no prediction of a big spike. I'm not going to say he wasn't overstating it a bit, but his rationale is sound; it is/was too early for large uncontrolled public gatherings. One incident of a few hundred people on a street may not cause a measurable spike. But the same scenes repeated across the country on a nightly basis, could and likely would lead to new spikes.

But keep on claiming that one example of running in front of a car without being hit proves that it's safe for everyone to run in front of cars.

Advertisement