Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Similar position.

Have all my shots plus recovered and have been like something let loose since the last booster , lol.

Concerts , celebrations , birthday parties , travelled further afield. On a plane ! All respecting measures wherever I was but here no masks except healthcare since St Patrick's Day .

Am sure I will get it again but when I don't know and won't be limiting myself now unless I hear there is a variant out there causing serious disease.

I would take a test if I have symptoms because I have to for work, and for others in my family .

I think our age should ensure that if we do get it we contact our GP and get whatever support available. I would be looking to get Paxlovid as I fall into the category that is eligible . It might be available more widely in the future but you need to test and take it in the first few days of infection for it to work.

As the vaccine effectiveness appears to wane , even boosters, I do think that while it is circulating most over 60s or vulnerable people will need continues boosters every 4 to 6 months .

Am retiring at the end of the month and will be leaving work like a cork out of a champagne bottle 😁

Some of the communication around vaccines has been very poor so I understand the frustration. They only offer short term protection against infection but if you're triple vaxxed you still have very strong protection against serious illness. Everyone will catch the virus eventually so at the end of the day you'll have to use you're own judgement to decide what level of risk you're comfortable with.

I had the discussion with my own parents just recently. They both agreed they are quite content with the level of protection offered by their 3 doses although they will probably consider a booster closer to winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Basically, if we are getting jabs every 3/4 months (that's what it averages out for me) should we (plus 60 brigade) not just go back to normal and live life and then just treat Covid as a cold/ mild flu and not even take a test unless we feel we have something more severe?

Well, that's the official advice now. If you're over 55 and been boosted, you don't need to test. If you have symptoms, just isolate until you've been mostly symptomless for 48 hours.

The current guidance for Paxlovid is that it should only be prescribed to people who are immunocomprised or over 65 and unvaxxed, AND have a positive PCR test.

But I'm sure if you felt particularly bad, your GP could arrange a PCR and prescribe paxlovid if they believed it necessary.

I'm personally yet to hear of any fully boosted pensioners who've had a rough time after infection. Most people seem to have some lingering coughing and tiredness for about a month after the initial symptoms, but nobody I personally know has needed hospitalisation or anything even close to it, since Omicron and boosters came on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Don't kid yourself , masks work

Saying mask worked as blanket statement is not accurate.

Yes some masks (n95 etc) were shown to have some benefit. But cloth masks were shown to be no better than no masks according to the Bangladesh study and is only 1 of 2 RCT trails done on mask. The othe being the Danish study. Both only showed marginal effects with surgical masks.

While it's a bit of a moot point now, telling people that masks work might actually end lulling people into a false sense of security, thinking they're more protected that they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think the surgical masks worked well to reduce symptomatic people spreading the virus when they were coughing all over the place. However, early on in the pandemic it became unacceptable for these people to be in public. Therefore, almost everyone that wore a surgical mask in public did not need one and that’s why there was no benefit.

• Advertisement

There are studies that prove that real masks ie surgical, n95 , and ffp2 do work ( who said cloth masks do anything except a very basic stopthesnot ?! )

But that is dragging the thread off topic ...and there are numerous..and one main thread in particular that will satisfy your desire to discuss all things masks ...not here or with me not now ,sorry.

I wasn't trying to drag it of topic, and I've linked both of those studys in the other thread thanks. I was only pointing out that saying "masks work" was incorrect, and might have unintentionally consequences.

And just to be clear there are no rtc to say the other masks have any real world benefits.

@seamus As per your last post I fall into 3 of the current categories for getting tested PCR, and also for Paxlovid prescription if positive.

As the guidance stands now , anybody of any age who cares for, or lives with vulnerable high risk family members , can and are recommended to get pcr tested, if symptomatic, even if fully vaxxed and boosted , so that they can protect their family members who may not be able to adequately fight off even Omicron . These are the present admissions to hospital and ICU , in those vaccinated .

If not , and not in any high risk category the advice is isolation until 48hours post symptoms ie like a flu .

Really ? Where did you get that from ?

I am not getting into an argument or wasting my time looking up studies to refute that , but suffice it to say I totally disagree with you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The biggest risk to spreading covid was a covid infected person. The mask was just a symbolic tool to make people think the pandemic was deadly enough to warrant then actually caring about it. Because covid is, in the vast majority of cases, only something you know you have when you do a test.

• Advertisement

Yeah right , another poster just posting nonsense for the sake of having something to post .

And the other one, @Ceepo ,how do you do a random controlled trial on maskwearing except in a lab ? Maybe you can explain to all of us how to do it? I have read you saying that already , a few times before on this thread and others ?

Yeah maybe we'll skip it .🙄

Post edited by Goldengirl on

There were 2 good RTC studys done on masks, one was the Danish study the other was the Bangladesh study.

Why would I need to to explain anything. The studys were done.

You say this ...over and over . I have seen you say this to other posters . It's not true , or doesn't mean what you think it means .

Anyway leaving this here because I don't want to get into a mask debate / discussion and I think you are spamming with this at this stage .

Goodbye now ceepo .

You say this ...over and over . I have seen you say this to other posters . It's not true , or doesn't mean what you think it means .

It's there in black and white in both studys. Both are peer reviewed and published. You can choose to believe it or not that's your call.

Spamming.... Lol..

You have been saying the same thing for the past year,ceepo!

Do you not think that there might have been some more relevant studies done since? Ones that may or may not have come to the same conclusions?

And is it not spamming saying the same thing on three different threads , at different times , but addressed to different posters , I'll give you that 😊

Two studies have been improperly characterized by some sources as showing that surgical or cloth masks offer no benefit...

Just in case you want to read something else . Btw note the above , it refers to the exact 2 studies you referenced .

I don't think I have really as the Bangladesh study was only published in Sept '21. Yes its entirely possible more studies were done. But RTC to the best of my knowledge. There is a new pre print out from Finland looking at masking kid's. You never guess the outcome. I'll save you the trouble of guessing.

Overall, the study findings showed that there were no substantial differences in the incidence of COVID-19 after wearing face masks in children aged between 10 to 12 years and residing in Helsinki and Turku.

And i would call it spamming tbh, I'd prefer to say I was just adding some scientific facts 😉

Am going to take a rain check if you don't mind ?

Never thought masking kids was good idea really .

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

There is no question but about 30% of infected people are not recovering and are developing novel postviral syndromes , some severe and long lasting, some milder and resolving quicker

Really? Approx 1 in 3 infected with covid develop novel post viral syndromes?

How can this be accurate information? Is this confined to a specific cohort, because there’s no possible way of all the people I know who have contracted covid, 30% have developed a ‘novel’ post viral symptom.

Re Hepatitis, it’s not unusual to have outbreaks of unknown origin and unexplained spikes of unexpected viruses, this nonsense of attributing them to covid is tiresome. If science proves it so - then accepted, otherwise it’s just a lazy way of upkeeping fear of covid, which in actuality is now just another virus, admittedly particularly prevalent and contagious, but one that is no more unusual than other viruses despite vested interest parties attempting to convince us to the contrary.

In fact it’s probably less mysterious than other viruses that have historically had less opportunity and funding for research and remain equally not fully understood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Down to 477 in hospital and a big drop to 33 people in ICU this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

god love rte - cant let it go obviously using the pre 8:00am figures even though its 120 down on last friday ( but monday was 15 up on sunday)

Covid-19: Hospital cases rise but virus wave nears end (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The info they posted were numbers over the weekend. Not sure why RTE are not up to date and put up that bollox today. The figures are 477 and 33 in icu today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My wife is a healthcare assistant in a nursing home and they are all in PPE again as a few cases were found there this week.

The residents are getting the second booster now but no word about the staff, seems a bit mad??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

You'd have to wonder whether RTE are actually trolling at this point!

Not a single article about the drop of 1200 or so in recent weeks but they somehow managed to mention an increase of 15 on a weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What’s the story with the WHO pandemic treaty that Stephen Donnelly is signing Ireland up for without consultation with the people who elected him? Surely something of that scale must be taken to the people in a referendum. We are supposed to live in a democracy after all. WHO’s performance was abysmal during Covid - and yet countries want to allow them to become a Government of the world in the next pandemic?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We have never held a referendum for something that doesn't require a change to the constitution. Governments enact things like this all the time without going to the people with a referendum. It is what we elect governments to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Do you agree that Ireland should sign up to a treaty that gives WHO total control of this country’s pandemic response and all other countries also without consultation with the electorate? And those who don’t comply with said WHO directives will be sanctioned? Looking at WHO’s performance during Covid where they failed miserably to act with China at the start, I certainly don’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I don't either, but I see no suggestion that Cushion does either - they're just pointing out how things work.

Advertisement