Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes that's exactly what it means and it is utterly dishonest to suggest otherwise. Weasel words and semantic games - a blatant tactic. This is just a poor attempt at a rehash of the thoroughly discredited #justtheflubro garbage from earlier in this thread.

A mild illness doesn't kill people. A mild illness doesn't put people into ICU.

It is mild for many people. That does not make it a mild illness as a whole. To say it is an "insanely mild illness" is well, there's a word in there that describes that statement alright.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

How are hospital numbers dropping again without mask mandates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

I’m not taking it personally.

COVID is mild for some, moderate for others, severe for others and deadly others.

that’s it.

Am elderly relative in really poor health once died of a cold. I guess a cold is severe now...

Indeed.

But mild for vast vast majority based on the official numbers.

• Advertisement

#JustTheFluBro

It was nonsense then, it is nonsense now, and now it is an utterly dishonest attempt to rewrite history.

Covid isn't a cold. If you don't get that after 2 years you must have a real bad case of covid derangement syndrome.

Look at the figures for deaths, hospital and ICU admissions for Covid. And for a Cold. It is just plain lying to equate the two with weasel words.

And if you think all the major public health authorities and major governments in the world got it wrong and covid is a cold, and are covering it up. Well that's a conspiracy theory. So at least be honest and come out with it.

I didn't say COVID was a cold. You said and I quote "A mild illness doesn't kill people". So perhaps you think a cold is a severe illness?

Anyways, the numbers are available for anyone that wishes to look. If you look at those numbers and believe COVID is not mild, then you're simply not capable of understanding figures.

Maybe find a maths expert and ask them if greater than 99% is a large number.

"Am elderly relative in really poor health once died of a cold. I guess a cold is severe now..."

But you "didn't say COVID was a cold".

Pull the other one. It was garbage when it was #JustTheFluBro and it's still garbage now.

I'll rely on medical experts and all the major public authorities in the world - over some randomer on boards with nothing more than weasel words as evidenced above.

You said a mild illness doesn't kill people. I pointed out that a relative died of a cold. Therefore, you must believe a cold is not mild by your own definition?

There's no need to get so aggressive.

If you believe that less than 1% is not mild, then you are entitled to that opinion.

More attempts at #JustTheFluBro this time with a cold! Did you relative die with a cold or from a cold? Isn't that another covid denier meme?

Is it an "insanely mild illness" or not?

So why are you talking about a cold?

You can't even keep your lies straight.

An "insanely mild illness" does not put people into the grave, ICU and hospital in the numbers it has accounted for.

You have no answer to that so you have to engage in weasel words about colds.

And so no, I don't want a maths expert to tell me that is and isn't a mild illness.

I'll rely on the health experts - and nope, they don't class covid as a mild illness.

And this is from the WHO - the clinical spectrum for Covid.

Patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection can experience a range of clinical manifestations, from no symptoms to critical illness. In general, adults with SARS-CoV-2 infection can be grouped into the following severity of illness categories; however, the criteria for each category may overlap or vary across clinical guidelines and clinical trials, and a patient’s clinical status may change over time.

• Asymptomatic or Presymptomatic Infection: Individuals who test positive for SARS-CoV-2 using a virologic test (i.e., a nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or an antigen test) but who have no symptoms that are consistent with COVID-19.
    • Mild Illness: Individuals who have any of the various signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, cough, sore throat, malaise, headache, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of taste and smell) but who do not have shortness of breath, dyspnea, or abnormal chest imaging.
    • Moderate Illness: Individuals who show evidence of lower respiratory disease during clinical assessment or imaging and who have an oxygen saturation (SpO2) ≥94% on room air at sea level.
    • Severe Illness: Individuals who have SpO2 <94% on room air at sea level, a ratio of arterial partial pressure of oxygen to fraction of inspired oxygen (PaO2/FiO2) <300 mm Hg, a respiratory rate >30 breaths/min, or lung infiltrates >50%.
    • Critical Illness: Individuals who have respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/overview/clinical-spectrum/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

This **** suppresses the immune system and people are calling it mild?

Thanks for pointing out what we already know.

Now look at those official figures I suggested and you'll see that the vast majority were mild.

Sometimes a plane crashes and hundreds of people die. Very sad. But the vast majority of flights land safely and we therefore don't deem flying to be a severe risk of death.

First we needed to learn maths now we need to learn about aeroplane crashes.

Anything but what the medical experts say!

Wait, is it "insanely mild" or just doesn't have a "severe risk of death"?

What weasel word phrasing would you like to settle on?

Even if you want to go down that route, you still don't have a leg to stand on. Sometimes planes crash. But some planes crash more often than others. They are not safe planes - I'm talking about Comets and Boeing 737 Maxs.

What you keep trying to run away from is that covid is a highly infectious disease. The number of people it sends to hospital is function of its severity and how many people it infects. And covid is both more severe and more infectious than flu, cold etc. Covid poses a severe risk to public health systems. It poses a severe risk to the vulnerable people in our society, who number in the hundreds of thousands. This is based on not just the deaths, but the risk of hospitalisation and need for ICU.

This line of argument was garbage as #JustTheFluBro and it's even worse second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Historically Covid has been quite severe but these days it’s not the big bad wolf that you and your aggressive lockdown ilk think it is. Whether it’s down to immunity, vaccines or a milder variant who knows.

We have a population of 5 million and covid is rampant everywhere but yet we have only about 400 people in hospitals because of covid. That’s 0.008% of the population despite a virus that’s rampant.

There is now no justification for restrictions in Ireland thankfully.

So you fell for that crap and misinformation on twitter lol good man. We better lockdown quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Crap and misinformation? From Dr Lambert, an infectious disease doctor. Christ on a bike. It's you with misinformation.

If you think Covid has been quite severe, how about responding to the posters who think it is an "insanely mild illness".

And they aren't talking about just "these days", they are talking about coronavirus as a whole - not just Omicron versus a highly vaccinated \ exposed population.

Or did you miss that bit?

I’m not getting into your arguments with other posters. I’m telling you how it is now. As far as I’m concerned 2020 is the past.

The depletion of t cells and exhaustion is complete misinformation. Believe what ever BS you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Why do you keep using hastags on Boards? Serves absolutely no purpose, apart from adding to your stock phrases I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The science and data has been very clear throughout this, that for vast vast majority of people it’s a very mild dose for the fit and healthy of this world. The science and data have always shown that if you have one or two things going on health wise then your risk of a poor outcome increase.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

That's not the same as being overall "an insanely mild" disease though is it?

And what % of the population doesn't fall into the category of "fit and healthy"? It is not the "vast vast majority" of people.

It is a significant % of the population.

This includes people 55+ with say high blood pressure or diabates, people who with meds have a reasonable expectation of decades of life ahead of them. This is borne out in the hospital and ICU admissions for people in that category.

So in light of that, to call it overall a "very mild illness" if that is also how you would describe a cold or flu, is wrong and contrary to the data. It is a different order of threat - in severity and infectiousness.

Which comes back to the fundamentals of it, whatever word you use to describe it, it comes down to the numbers covid is capable of sending to hospital, which is a factor of its severity AND infectiousness. To talk only about its severity is only one piece of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Because it comes in waves. After two and bit years it seems most people don’t understand that (Not talking about you!). And masks, IMO, make feck all of a difference with these lighter variants.

There will be another wave in a couple of months, becoming less and less significant each time as people begin to realise it’s not the Black Death they’re battling.

Its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

this is hilarious , you constantly drop twitter links on these threads ,, when you don't like whats in one someone else links up it's crap and misinformation .

But then you drop more of the ones you agree with lol

That’s because there’s no evidence for the link i replied to. . It’s an old argument now that’s been going around a while about t cell depletion which is mostly used by the lockdown merchants , zero covidier loons and some of the misinformed . It’s something i have been looking into since these claims surfaced. Actual new studies that are now emerging are telling a completely different story. T cells for the win.

I’m guessing posting positive twitter links must be bothering you, i do apologise and I’d recommend you just scrolling past them. 😉

Post edited by Micky 32 on

Would you consider starting your own thread for the twitter links maybe ,, might be a better idea .

No. Unless there’s a forum rule to say one can’t post links from twitter i will continue to do so. They are relevent to the thread. Just scroll by them, simple really. Does the same request go for our ‘fun loving criminal ‘?

Fun loving criminal posted a twitter link , that's all they did , you were one that felt the need to post the ignorant reply to them below .

"So you fell for that crap and misinformation on twitter lol good man."

which l found very funny as you post nearly all the twitter junk that's posted on this thread .

and then presume Im not happy with your positive twitter news

ffs cop on man .

Edit l don't mean any offence ,,goodnight

• Advertisement

So you’re saying all the links regarding actual studies i posted are junk? Sure whatever you think. Just don’t read them if they don’t suit your narrative. How hard is that?

Advertisement