Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Long covid affects about 7% of hospitalised patients and lower for not hospitalised. Obesity significantly increases the risk of long covid. It is not an independent risk factor though.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

No you said the poster said it doesn’t exist. He said it does exist amongst the ‘bed wetters’. I prefer to call them neurotic. The poster is correct it does seem to be the nervous that mostly post about long covid on here and other platforms. The likes of Hegarty, Eric Ding etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Another argument where you have to bolster your weak case with perjorative terms. It was the clear insinuation of their post.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There’s no argument really. Maybe the poster is telling the truth? Maybe the poster only knows people with long covid that are mainly neurotic? It’s quite possible. They will usually be more vocal about it. You want to dismiss it because it doesn’t suit your narrative i get that. As for me i do know long covid exists i’m not denying that but if you go by what you read on the internet sure you’d never leave your basement.

What weak case? I know masses of people who had covid and fully recovered old and young in the Omicron era. If you think i’m lying just say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,258 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's amazing how you didn't address what's going on with my niece. It's like you are living under a rock.

You are just as bad as the people who still wear a mask walking down the street, a polar opposite but just as bad.

• Advertisement

What do you want anyone to say? 5 year olds get coughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

covid is with us forever now, same as many other illnesses that can cause long term side effects or complications, but no one cared about them because they didn't get wall to wall media coverage for what is years at this stage.

I don't care if you're 5 or 95, I'm living like it's 2019... Carefree, mingling and maskless.

Life is too short and miserable to be worrying about "what if", we need to shrug off the panic and the twitching, let covid fade into the background like the flu or a cold.

The best thing we can do for our kids is to never lockdown again. Their immune systems need to get exposure so they are strong enough to fight off illness etc.

Locking them up for a few years wasn't good for their physical or mental health.

So you are definitively saying it has nothing to do with covid? She got the cough while she had Covid.

The 10 second rule didn't do me any harm... Who needs antibiotics 😁

Lockdown didn't do my mental health any favours though, however you can't complain because you were taking one for the team and the greater good...

I didn't see the piles of bodybags on the streets like we were told would happen, but that's another day's rant.

• Advertisement

As I've said, those comments are the comments of somebody living under a rock.

A normal person with a semblance of common sense is a bit careful.

As I've already said people like you are the polar opposite but the very same as the person still wearing a mask walking down the street.

So what if it was covid or not? What do you want us to do about it?

covid is over, back to 2019 standards we go, no ifs, buts or maybes.

Polar opposites doesn't even come close to how I feel.... I'm the other side of the galaxy from someone who voluntarily wears a mask or pays any kind of heed to the covid worriers. I'm not under any rock, I know exactly what I'm doing.

Don't stand near me if you're afraid of the covid, and thankfully it looks like that's the way most of the population thinks now as well.

I didn't think they would shake the restrictions off, I genuinely thought the population would cling on to masks and distancing, but thankfully that got ditched pretty quick by almost everyone except for a few diehards.

I'm saying that covid is still a concern when stuff like this is still happening.

We don't yet know if there any long term affects from contracting Covid. We won't know that for maybe another five years.

I can guarantee that most people are not like you. People are certainly more relaxed but not as careless as you.

I still wear a mask in crowded areas. I haven't had Covid yet and I'll try to avoid it for as long as I can. I'm not going overboard about things. I don't wear a mask in a shop where I'm not on top of other people. I probably put a mask.on twice per week at most. I hate wearing them.

I'm not at all confident that I'll avoid covid but having gone this long without contracting it I'll try to not get it by just putting on a mask in crowded areas.

I hope there's no long term affects from covid but as I said in my previous we are about five years away from knowing that.

I'm not careless, just normal, not the new normal... normal normal.

As for people still being careful, you're wrong. A few are for sure, but go to Dublin Airport, a pub, or a match in Croker, and you'll see that almost no one cares.

I hate the masks, the restrictions, and everything they stand for, wear a mask if you want, but covid will get you sometime. Why put yourself through even an hour of misery by wearing a mask if you hate them?

Chances are if you catch covid that you'll be unwell for a few days and be grand again.

I took my chances with covid, I got it eventually, but it didn't floor me, and I came out the far side intact.

If anything, catching it reinforced my resistance to the pointless restrictions that were shoved down our throats, some of which could be getting shoved down our throats again....

Months of mask wearing and lockdown for "just that"?

I'll leave the mask off, thank you very much, life is miserable enough without thinking "what if", wearing a mask "just in case".

I'll take my chances, and whatever happens, happens. But like I said, it's best not to stand near me if you're afraid of catching covid, because I'm not.

Normal normal is the way to go, "careful" and the "greater good" are on the other side of the galaxy, light years away from me and many, many others too.

Post edited by DLink on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Why would you still think at this stage that a mask helps prevent you contracting Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Why do you say we are about five years away from knowing the long term effects of Covid? Given that we've known about this virus for 2.5 years (and counting), that seems pretty long term to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Sorry to hear about your niece. For what is worth my son was very sick with flu when he was 2 or 3, and after 6 weeks he was a shadow of himself. It took him the bones of 6 months to recover with various coughs and sniffles that dragged on for months. Would anyone give a toss about him back then? I don't think so. It is a part and parcel of childhood. Well, at least it used to be.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I definitely agree with the poster who said that 99% of people have moved back to normal. I got on the Luas last Wednesday at 5pm, and it was wedged. Not one person was wearing a mask. I did consider that it would be good time to put one on, but I didn't have one with me and I reasoned with myself that I can't be whipping a mask on in crowded areas for the rest of my life.

I'm not worried about long Covid personally. I've had covid twice, mild both times. My husband and kids have had it once, and recovered fine, even in circumstances where three out of four of them have asthma.

My father-in-law may have long Covid. He caught pneumonia in March 2020 and was told that it wasn't covid, but he wasn't actually tested. He took antibiotics but it still took him weeks to recover. He now only has two or three hours of energy a day. That said, he is obese, has type 2 diabetes and is in his 70's, so if anyone was going to get long covid I wasn't surprised it would be him.

I'm not worried about some hidden effects in five years either. If that was the case, there could be hidden effects in every common cough and cold you get over every winter. My cousin has ME, which resulted from a random winter virus she got 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Given the broadness of the symptoms, Long Covid is being set up for over-diagnosis.

Feel anxious or have the blues? Long covid

Going bald or don't want sex? Long covid

Tired all the time and have insomnia? Long covid

Getting a lot of colds nowadays? Long covid

All this is confliated with symptoms of post-viral syndrome like lung abnormalities and chronic fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I'm sorry to hear your niece has a lingering cough....I don't understand how this means I'm living under a rock. I'm well aware there's some nasty side effects from acquiring covid. In the grand scheme of things serious illness is very unlikely for someone of my age and health. Everything comes with risk, it's up to everyone to assess their own level of risk. I do things in my life with far higher risk attached and don't bat an eyelid like!! I had a brush with cancer a few years ago. It has taught me that life is too short not for living. If you keep the body as healthy as you can then there's not much else you can do. It's up to chance! A mask isn't going to do much in a big crowd at this stage. I'm afraid to tell you as well that the likelihood is you're going to get it sometime. Hopefully like the majority who get it and other viruses etc it won't be too serious

Not only does Covid evade those vaccinated and boosted, according to this article it can "rebound" after taking another Pfizer product Paxlovid. What's next? Will it recycle itself or ricochet or back-pedal?

https://www.thejournal.ie/joe-biden-covid-4-5829937-Jul2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Biden has covid again after having it a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's probably as much down to antivirals as the virus itself.

This phenomenon was picked up during trials:

A brief return of symptoms may be part of the natural history of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) infection in some persons, independent of treatment with Paxlovid and regardless of vaccination status

What full text that explains it?

I linked to an article, are you saying I need to copy/paste the text of the article to the body of my post?

Since you have edited your post to remove the line "How about including the full text that explains it" that I am referring to above, I have edited this post to included a screenshot of your original post with this line.

It is curious no doubt, but what I mean is the article explains it is not a big concern, as the article mentions:

though he “continues to feel quite well,” his White House doctor said today.

Maybe it's a dead cat bounce on the part of the virus...

Is it some quirk of covid? Or Paxlovid? Or mis-match between Paxlovid and Omicron.

I wonder if we were antigen testing patients with other respiratory viruses who are on antivirals would we see the same.

Is it a rule to include certain text from articles we link too in the body of our posts? Am I to know what scares people? I do not find my post scary. Do you?

• Advertisement

Advertisement