Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Yes thats true. You seemed to edit as I was posting. We are in sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's paxlovid. It just 'pauses' viral reproduction and if your immune system hasn't cleared the virus by the time the course finishes, it just starts right back up again. Although according to pfizer, rebounds only happen in around 1% of people, clearly this isn't the case. Probably they can quote this figure because the trial excluded vaccinated people ( after they were originally included. Weird,huh?), in which the rebounds seem to be far more common and ties in with a recent study showing that boosted people in particular are taking longer to clear the virus.

Of all the high profile people in the US who have taken it, they pretty much all have had a rebound, including fauci who said his symptoms were worse after the virus returned

• Registered Users Posts: 38,256 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It takes about seven years to collect enough data to know everything about it. That's why it normally takes that long to develop an effective vaccine. At that stage we'll almost certainly have a vaccine that means you don't contract covid.

It's less likely you pick it up. It's airborne now but it still has to get into your body. A mask makes it a lot less likely that it gets into your body.

You are under a rock because you are dismissing covid as nothing about five years before you'll have enough information to make that decision.

It certainly isn't 2019 and if you are living like it is then you are being very careless. Will stay away from others if you pick it up again? The way you are talking it sounds like you don't care about spreading it.

As regards my chances of avoiding it, I've already said that for months I've accepted it's very likely I'll get it at some stage. That doesn't mean I should just give up after avoiding it for two and a half years.

I don't like wearing a mask but I'll do it in crowded areas. I'm not ott about things as I don't wear a mask in any place that's not crowded. If I get it I'll deal with it and be a little disappointed that I couldn't avoid it after managing to do it for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I hate to break it to you and to whoever liked your post but it is 2019 i’m afraid. Have you actually looked out your window? . There are no restrictions, pubs, restaurants, concerts, stadiums are all buzzing. Not to mention airports are at full capacity. It seems like 2019 to me.

Unfortunately it won’t be 2019 for a minority who constantly are terrified of covid while hoping that restrictions are reintroduced. I feel sorry for those people.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

You seriously want the world to live in a bubble for 7 years to collect enough data about covid before deciding whether or not it's safe to live normally again? You could develop any amount of fatal conditions within those 7 years, be killed in a car crash or get run oven when crossing the road.

Why waste your life worrying about "what if"? Take your chances and get on with it, death is guaranteed, make the most of what life you have while you can.

Look around, it is 2019, normal normal.... the only outliers are people voluntarily wearing masks, the vast majority of which are being worn incorrectly, so what's the point?

I'm not being careless, I'm being normal normal, and as for caring about spreading it, well, like I said, if you are afraid of covid, don't stand near me. Take what you want from that. If I or anyone else decided to simply get on with life and leave the house with covid, we're not breaking any laws or legally enforceable rules, so no problem.

We all carried on as normal when we had a cold or a flu, covid however is the star getting all the attention in the media, so now you're a granny killer if you have it.

All activities and illnesses carry risks (covid is harmless to the vast majority of people who catch it, if it wasn't for antigen tests an awful lot of people wouldn't even know they had it FFS), protect yourself all you want, but don't call those of us who have moved on and returned to normal careless.

If covid was still an issue we'd still be under some form of restrictions, but we aren't. A lot of people were very happy to say "how high" when King Tony said "jump", but when he said you don't need to jump any more, people were like "whoa, you're talking crazy talk", you're going to kill us all.

Restrictions lifted = 2019 normal normal.

Post edited by DLink on

• Advertisement

You do realise that covid is still out there? It's appearing in many different forms(strains) these days

It's clear you don't understand that until such time as we get a proper vaccine or have all the data to know this virus that it's not over.

You are living under a rock denying that there's any risk to anyone. We don't know enough yet about this virus.

As I said, most of what I do is normal but I take precautions in crowds.

Yes the person wearing a mask walking down the street is going way overboard but so is the guy in crowds.

Classy how the politician's have lied to us -

Remember when they said it was the pandemic of the unvaccinated.lol

Have you done a bunjee jump? Sky dived? Jumped off a cliff into water? Done white water rafting?

You could die doing any of the above but sure you could die anywhere.

How about running across a motorway?

There are still rules if you contract covid.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/restricted-movements/how-to-self-isolate/#when-you-can-stop-self-isolating

I'm sure you were one of those constantly giving out about Tony all during lockdowns like he was some evil fiend.

We don't need severe restrictions because the majority have been giving a medicine, called a vaccine by most, which alleviates symptoms. We need the economy running too.

Did you read my post properly and have you looked out your window like i suggested?

It’s 2019 out there. How am i living under a rock when I’m just stating the obvious ? It must be an illusion then. Pubs restaurants, concerts , stadiums and travel are all back to normal. Come out from under your bed and take a peak outside your door if you don’t believe me because you’re in for a shock. I ate out myself yesterday and there were quite a few elderly people out enjoying themselves.

BTW it’s unlikely there will ever be a vacciine to prevent transmission. Current vaccines are highly effective enough preventing serious illness and death.

It’s over. Life is moving on. Except of course for the zealots and the terrified. You are correct though that covid hasn’t gone away and probably will always be around but as with all other pandemics over the eons the populace get fed up of it and life carries on. Covid is no exception. I’m certainly enjoying life again. Of course i practice the basics while doing so.

We'll just leave it there, its clear you don't understand anything as regards collecting data, developing vaccines, potential long term issues with viruses.

• Advertisement

It’s clear you are not reading or understanding my posts.

How on earth is my ability to understand about collecting data got anything to do with me stating the obvious that life is back to normal out there?

Because it's not normal until we have a proper vaccine and are 100% that this is behind us.

People have had organ issues with this thing. We don't know if that's the end of their problems or if it'll come back at some stage in the next couple of years.

Most of us are living close to normal lives but being a bit careful. Some are still being very restricted in their lives and others are completely careless. I'm in the middle group.

Like the other guy here just said he couldn't care less if he had Covid that he won't self-isolate.

I've done a few of them, thanks for asking, but what's your point?

Like I said, death is guaranteed, but covid isn't the big scary monster we were all told it was, get out of the bedroom and enjoy yourself. Something that happens in your daily life could kill you quicker than covid, and you might not even see it coming.

There are no rules regarding covid in Ireland, they are only "recommendations" because there are no legal consequences if you choose to ignore them.

Rules are not rules if there are no consequences, just guidelines. Explain to me what exactly the repercussions will be if I decide to ignore the HSE covid "rules"? (Moral judgement doesn't count by the way)

This is just the government's way of fudging or blurring the line between laws and recommendations in order to keep the people guessing and erring on the side of caution. They did this during covid, and had to admit it too.

[Snip]

I complained about King Tony to anyone who would listen, including here on boards, I visited more than one grave around the country in order to get some fresh air, ignored social distancing and wore the same manky mask under my nose for the duration. I even used that mask as a sleep mask on flights.... god knows what strain of covid is living in it now.

We don't need severe restrictions because we don't need any restrictions, covid is with us FOREVER now, the same as the cold or flu, and any mention of restrictions is pointless. We just need to accept that fact, and get on with our lives.

I only got the first two vaccine jabs so I could get the barcode for travel and get away from this shithole prison island of ours. They could have injected me with holy water for all I cared once I got the barcode.

The beauty of having the barcode, when it was enforced, meant that if you caught covid while abroad you could keep your mouth shut, say nothing, travel home, be sick in your own bed and not get trapped in a hotel abroad. But that's all gone now, because you can now travel with covid without needing the barcode to keep the feds away.

Booster uptake is low, I can't remember the percentages, but it's nothing like the initial two jab uptake, which, in my opinion indicates that people only got the original jabs in order to get the barcode for pubs, restaurants & travel, in other words... to get back to normal living, and not for the good of their health, or indeed, for the greater good.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

You are arguing that it shouldn’t be normal. But look outside because it is normal. Are you able to tell the difference? It’s normal out there. Everywhere is open and people are living their lives pre 2019. There are no real restrictions that are inconveniencing people much at all anymore . It doesn’t matter what you or i think should be normal or not real life outside of these forums are telling a different story.

If people want to be careful there’s certainly nothing wrong with that. That’s their decision.

You said self-isolate... No laws = no self-isolate.

What part of "covid is never going away" do you not understand? It will never be 100% behind us, it is with us and all around us.

You're having a laugh if you think if I'm going to put my life on hold while waiting for a "proper vaccine". We had two years of life on hold already, and that was enough, thank you very much.

So what should people do until this magical vaccine comes along that will put it 100% behind us. What restrictions should be imposed for the years ahead?

I see people wearing masks everywhere. That wasn't the case in 2019. I see people using hand sanitizer coming into and leaving shops, again that wasn't happening in 2019.

The reason everywhere is open is that we need our economy.

I'm only arguing that people should be more careful in crowded areas.

Anyways I'm done with this now. I'm going back to watching The Old Man, recommend it to all.

Lately i haven’t seen many people wear masks bar a very few. If anything the trend is getting less. I was in Dunnes the other day and i would say about 2 max that i seen wearing a mask.

I was in a busy restaurant yesterday and not one person young or old walked in with a mask.

If there was no social media, Boards or good auld RTE no one would guess Covid was around.

Use whatever age category you want, but the overall booster uptake is nothing like the original two jab uptake.

Immature you say.... How about someone who is not breaking ANY covid laws because such laws don't exist perhaps?

• Advertisement

Well I don't watch RTE or any other Irish news channel either. This site is the closest I come to social media because I'm against large social media sites where AI is tracking people and drawing them into whatever their agenda is.

Were any of the staff wearing masks in the restaurant you went to?

How is it a lie exactly if one number is lower than the other?

Ah well, looks like we'll never know seeing as you won't respond to anything else I post 🙂

As per https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations

Percent of Population over 5 who have received a booster dose (Additional and Immunocompromised): 66%

Percentage of Eligible Population Fully Vaccinated: 85.93%

66% boosted vs 86% two jabs = not a liar.

Booster figures in May for anyone interested. That's by county and it's over 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

His unvaccinated predecessor went to hospital as an emergency case. The older vaccinated incumbent had to isolate in the white house for a few days.

To be fair, go to any health setting or pharmacy and you'll see most people wearing masks, even in London of late, there would still be waiting staff masking up (I haven't worn a mask myself bar health settings since they moved to recommended).

Great to see New Zealand finally open the borders

Oh dear not much mask wearing at the Trimble funeral certainly no normalcy whatsoever out there right?😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭User1998

Do you seriously think that people going to crowded areas are taking things way overboard?

So we might as well close pubs and nightclubs again and cancel all outdoor concerts?

Your living in the past. Wear your mask if it makes you feel better and do your social distancing, but let the rest of us get on with life please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭User1998

I wouldn’t imagine many people are too interested at this stage. And rightly so. I don’t remember anyone having much interest in the flu vaccine statistics before Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

My observation is that roughly 2 every 100 wear masks. Not sure how significant that is, but logic would suggest that 98 have moved on.

If it wasn't for the media and social media we would not have called it a pandemic in the first place.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Advertisement