Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,469 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Where did I say it was the reason for all the excess deaths?

If you are concerned about credibility... how about backing up your deliberate misrepresentation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Anyone remember Tony Hoolahan???

What a word farce this Covid nonsense has been.

Some people have retired into the sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Absolutely right, he did the same thing with me, blaming the war in Ukraine for the love of Jobe.

Our economy is practically on the floor and he blames the Russians. I suggest it's the money lost throughout the farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Median age of UK population has changed from 40 in 2015 to 40.5 in 2020. It is forecasted that by 2025 it will reach 41.4. This will be an increase of 0.9 over 5 years, or less than 0.2 per year. I’m going to say that again - it takes a decade or more for this number to have a meaningful effect. It does not happen ‘over night’. There was no unexplained excess deaths pre 2021, and now there are. We are talking about an event or events that have caused this, not a continuous natural process.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/uk-population/

The propaganda outlets will do their best to avoid addressing the elephant in the room. Many posters here, including yourself, are doing the very same thing.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I.

Post edited by fun loving criminal on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I don’t really get what you are saying here. Do you want to go back to fear stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I have no idea what I posted. I think I had something saved from a few weeks ago and it must have posted when I looked into the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Unfortunately the middle-aged, battering-ram Karens at the INMO are still trying to pay for scare articles in the national media to keep the gravy train going. There was an article just this week about the next wave in one of the national newspapers.

At least we even have the boss of Astrazeneca today questioning the worthwhileness of continuing population booster campaigns given the vast majority now have good immune defences from serious infection. COVID is the perfect cover for our politicians to try to deflect and hide their incompetence but we cannot let then get away with it in the autumn when the economy is burning and they try to blame a new COVID wave for introducing consumption-quenching restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

At least we even have the boss of Astrazeneca today questioning the worthwhileness of continuing population booster campaigns given the vast majority now have good immune defences from serious infection.

One needs to be cautious in giving too much oxygen to AZ and their CEO with their chequered past on the vaccine. We have now moved COVID jabs to annual flu' vaccine status and we do have enough data to see the risk of both in certain demographics.

Boosters announcements don't mean that people will take them and the anticipated decline in take-up of subsequent boosters was well flagged up to 2 years ago on these threads. It will eventually hover at about flu' levels of 25%-40% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It also has the background that their new revenue driver is a COVID treatment (evusheld). He has history with being economical with the truth.

• Advertisement

Who is talking about median age? Not sure why you would focus on such an inexact single data point.

It's the percentage of people over 65 and especially over 80. A small increase there can have an outsize effect on excess mortality.

If the BBC is a 'propaganda' outlet, I think you need to take a step back and question how you got there.

This is what the ONS says:

• The five-year average for 2022 has been provided for 2016 to 2019 and 2021. This moves our five-year average along by a year but does not include the exceptionally high number of deaths seen in 2020. This is so that deaths in 2022 are compared with a five-year average that is up to date (rather than 2015 to 2019) while still being close to representing a usual (non-coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic) year
    • Age-standardised mortality rates (ASMRs) are used for comparisons over time rather than numbers of deaths, because ASMRs account for changes to the population size and age structure.
    • Accounting for the population size and age structure, the age-standardised mortality rate (ASMR) for deaths due to COVID-19 increased significantly between June and July 2022 in England (from 14.0 to 32.6 deaths per 100,000 people) and Wales (from 12.9 to 36.1 deaths per 100,000 people).
    • The year-to-date (January to July) ASMR in 2022 was significantly lower than most years since our data time series began in 2001 (except for 2019 in England, and 2014 and 2019 in Wales) in both England (944.3 deaths per 100,000 people) and Wales (1,019.3 deaths per 100,000 people).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Remember Covid Testing Centres, well I mentioned before that my wife works part time swabbing in one in the midlands.

Yesterday, Sunday they only had 4 referreals, one of which didn't show so just 3 swabs taken all day.

Full time crew of 4 of them on all day on the HSE (taxpayer) dime.

She has her own business so gets all her work emails & quotes seen to while twiddling her thumbs for double time Sunday.

We are a great country.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Hopefully the media here will awaken from their Covid slumber and the sooner the better! I am sure we are in a worse position with what went on here as lockdowns / restrictions here were treated with such religious fanaticism. Such draconian policies which had huge consequences should never ever be implemented without proper scrutiny!

Slowly the Dam is leaking:

Lol there's tumble weeds rolling around the center in Ennis and it looks like a run down place that's not functioning.

But yet it's still open, no doubt the pro narrative shower will be like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

In England and Wales excess deaths began to increase noticeably from around the end of April. For 14 of the past 15 weeks, around 1,000 extra deaths occurred each week, none of which are due to covid. Number of non-Covid excess deaths will soon outstrip covid deaths this year (2022). This is according to Prof Carl Heneghan, director of the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, Oxford University.

This year excess deaths should in facet be below average as people who would have died this year from old age and natural causes, died in the past 2 years from covid. Covid accelerated the deaths of elderly with comorbidities - people who under normal circumstances we would expect to die now. Excess deaths due to covid for those demographics have been recorded and reported many times in the mainstream media. The fact is that unexplained excess deaths occur in all demographic groups: 0-24, 25-49, 50-64, 65-74, 75-85 and 85+.

Once again, aging population has nothing to do with it.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Of course the aging population has something to do with it. You have to adjust the age changes as the ONS have done. If there is an excess above that, that is what needs analysis. But you have to factor in the age changes or you will most likely overstate excess mortality given the aging population.

From the ONS data:

• The year-to-date (January to July) ASMR in 2022 was significantly lower than most years since our data time series began in 2001 (except for 2019 in England, and 2014 and 2019 in Wales) in both England (944.3 deaths per 100,000 people) and Wales (1,019.3 deaths per 100,000 people).

If the excess deaths are out of line and increasing from the end of April how are the year to date figures as above i.e. significantly lower? Early in 2022 there were fewer deaths than normal for the time of year in the England + Wales. Is this just a delayed correction of that?

Covid didn't just accelerate the deaths of elderly with comorbidities. It also killed a % of people who would otherwise have lived - people with conditions managed by medications who were vulnerable to covid. Other viruses such as flu etc were totally suppressed. Many vulnerable people took extreme precautions and there were restrictions which suppressed many infectious diseases. They are all lifted. So are we now seeing normal risks returning and a delayed 'harvesting' effect could be occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Remember the asymptomatic testing centres?

They'd set up a tent in an area for a week and tell people to Only go here if you have no symptoms. They'd queue up like donkeys in long lines 2m apart with masks on while outdoors.

Absolute face and money making racket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that China’s zero covid BS is going well . Situation worsening and this:

I feel sorry for those poor people in China. You can’t stop Omicron. No end in sight for them and probably will have to endure this for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Early in 2022 there were fewer deaths than normal for the time of year in the England + Wales. Is this just a delayed correction of that?

Well was there a delayed correction in 2019, and 2014? Worth looking at - I don’t know as I haven’t looked, but would be important to back up your point.

Many vulnerable people took extreme precautions and there were restrictions which suppressed many infectious diseases. They are all lifted. So are we now seeing normal risks returning and a delayed 'harvesting' effect could be occurring.

Then vulnerable people are back to living with acceptable risks, just as before Covid arrived. If these recent excess death levels were as a result of, for example, excess flu deaths, then you may have an argument, otherwise the level of non-covid related excess deaths merits serious investigation.

Can I ask for a further explanation of what you call ‘harvesting’?

Only, because to me it sounds familiar to arguments very early in this thread as to why deaths were so high amongst the elderly and vulnerable in March/April 2020 (i.e. it was a soft winter for respiratory disease preceding Covid) . If I’m misinterpreting ‘harvesting’, then mia culpa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

The article states;

”He said that the experience from the UK is that patients die while waiting on long waiting lists and he did not think there was any reason why the situation would be any different here.”

So there it is in black and white - but you will still have some defending to the hilt all stages of Covid interventions and restrictions, because some have been completely convinced that the alternative would have been much worse.

I'll have to come back to you on 2019 and 2014 if I can track down the figures.

Something unusual is going on across 2022 as a whole if there are higher than expected deaths for Q2 and yet for year to date the figures are not out of line with previous years - are lower even. There was a peak in late 2021 of covid deaths but other mortality was only slightly above base line (and unclear if age corrected). That does not seem enough of a 'peak' to account for a drop in Q1 2022, in comparison with Spring 2020 or Q1 of 2021. There is a dip in Q2 of 2021 which it is reasonable to presume is due to the Q1 peak.

See Figure 1.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending31december2021

Harvesting is broadly speaking along those lines. It is that a peak is often followed by a dip / dip followed by a peak.

e.g. Two bad flu seasons in a row versus a mild flu season followed by a bad flu season OR similar for very cold winter.

I haven't said it shouldn't be investigated - my main point is that you need to adjust for age, and the known 'temporary' factors (e.g. covid, heatwaves) and it is whatever is above that that needs to be analysed in terms of the explanations raised in the BBC article such as long covid, A&E issues, waiting lists, cancelled screenings \ tests in light of what causes are showing increases.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

The teacher unions were largely silent this week with the kids going back. No mention of masks, hepa filters, opening windows etc. Reckon their attention was elsewhere with the pay talks.

So tomorrow is the beginning of Autumn, we're down to 250 in hospital with Covid & 14 in ICU. No breakdown of vacination status. Only concerning stat I can find is that 30-40 deaths per week are still being attributed to Covid.

I do know the argument is that people in this cohort are most likely average age of 84 & suffering with 3 other comorbidities but it is arresting all the same, this is what living with Covid really looks like.

That being said I'm wondering what the next strategy will be to rising numbers over the winter, how will the public react this time around to suggestions of mask wearing or even low level restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I'd imagine most people will be more concerned about heating their homes and paying their energy bills this winter.

Obviously they're all unvaccinated, well the majority of them anyway.

Thats supposedly the fact's in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Given all the money they wasted on pointless covid restrictions, they should spend money properly for a change and subsidise everyone's fuel & energy costs, and not just pad the pockets of teachers & public servants with fat pay rises.

It's the least they can do after deferring medical treatment, doctor's appointments & cancer screenings, delaying house building, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Looks like, after all, those conspiracy theorists were right all along once more, goddammit. Antiviral drugs are popping up in the NIH website for the treatment of c19, including ivermectin .Of course recommended only for clinical trials, you'll never know that the truth might come out.

In the meantime the italian panel admitted that using anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen reduce hospitalization by 90%

Quite a change of tune from the recommendation to avoid it at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Iv'e pretty much stayed out of talk about Covid over the last few years as it's of no interest to me personally but maybe posters who are clued in could answer the following for me. I haven't bothered getting vaccinated as i had covid in the early stages May 2020 and it was little more than a cold for me but do i need some sort of cert for travel to Europe this November or is all that stuff finished now? Do they scan your passport to see if you are vaccinated or what? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Regulations and restrictions can change on a weekly basis, so no one can predict what different countries might do in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Use this site https://reopen.europa.eu/en you can download the app it’s handy, this will give you the latest travel requirements to enter other EU countries.

The likes of Germany, France, Italy and Spain have all dropped entry requirements weather you’ve had the medicine or not.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement