Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Antigen tests could also be used for festivals, matches and other events.
    I really hope they’re used in schools from next Autumn as another tool to help pick up and stop Covid cases spreading in school settings next year.

I really hope there is minimal need for any testing next Autumn given the level of vaccinations we will be at

HSE don’t provide a certificate just a text. That text could be easily replicated or copied so showing a text proves nothing really.

For entry to another country you need a certificate with name as per passport, Passport number, date of birth and the time in which the sample was taken. This is whether it’s a PCR or antigen test. Only private companies provide that service at present.

Private companies provide the required testing. Where is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Polar101 wrote: »
    What's the fascination with antigen testing all about?
    People who want to be able to go on foreign holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

seamus wrote: »
    People who want to be able to go on foreign holidays.

Or to operate their business. Or do people not realise how much back and forth there is between Irish businesses and customers in the UK?

We personally have lost UK contracts because of the current Irish travel restrictions, anything at all that delays travel has an adverse effect, and anything that can be done to mitigate the problem should be done as a priority.

But then who gives a **** about businesses and the economy, right? Certainly not NPHET's Ireland, thats for damn sure.

Private PCR testing is available and turns around inside 24 hours. If at this stage someone's business still hinges on being able to put a person on a plane with less than 24 hours notice, then they've disastrously failed to adapt to the prevailing conditions.

It's not NPHET's fault that they're bad at business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Arghus wrote: »
    Just that one sentence there. Could you clarify that?

Private tests are currently needed for travel, HSE PCR results are not accepted for travel. I assume this is the testing capacity you were referring to. As we were talking about testing for travel that HSE capacity is not helpful. Now this could change but I'd highly doubt it and it has never been hinted at that it will be acceptable.

What value does the antigen test add? Turn around time for pre travel PCR tests are typically 24 hours from pharmacies and private test companies. I'm hardly going to be travelling at less than a day's notice. I'd prefer to get a test done a day or two before a flight rather than turn up at the airport on the day and hope the queue for testing isn't too long and miss my flight

An antigen test doesn't do away with the requirement for self isolation / quarantine or for the requirement for PCR tests on day 5 (and day 10 if not vaccinated) after arrival in Ireland.

On its own antigen testing is insufficient, with the other measures ( self isolation, quarantine, post arrival testing) antigen testing doesn't add much value

Self isolation, quarentine and post arrival testing will be gone from 19th July anyway in the majority of circumstances anyway so those you mentioned that are better will then be gone.

A lot of people don't live close by to a private testing centre. I'd much rather make one journey on the day, get tested a few hours before my flight, relax and get a coffee while I wait for my result and then make my way towards my plane if I pass. Maybe you'd rather make two trips and pay extra needlessly but I certainly wouldn't.

Private PCR testing is available and turns around inside 24 hours. If at this stage someone's business still hinges on being able to put a person on a plane with less than 24 hours notice, then they've disastrously failed to adapt to the prevailing conditions.

Simplistic and naïve in the extreme, yet another example of people who aren't actually effected by the measures smugly deciding to lecture about it anyway.

For example, why do you assume that it is the Irish company who needs to travel and not the customer? The customer who decides they don't need the hassle and will look elsewhere instead? How is that a reflection on the Irish business?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

Klonker wrote: »

A lot of people don't live close by to a private testing centre.

That sounds like we are trying to come up with unlikely scenarios. These people could always get a rapid test at the airport, couldn't they?

You are 100% correct there. A pragmatic company that finds themselves in that situation would issue P45s to their Irish workers and move offshore to a Country with a reasonable approach to managing risks associatd with the pandemic.
    No skin off NPHETs back.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    That sounds like we are trying to come up with unlikely scenarios. These people could always get a rapid test at the airport, couldn't they?
    Getting a rapid test at the airport involves me arriving 2 hours earlier than I otherwise woudl have arrived.
    If I fail the test e.g. a False positive then I'm faced with not being able to board my flight and then arrange accommodation and transport to somewhere where I can isolate.
    It would have been nice to have been able to have had the test done up to 48 hours in advance which is the usual entry requirement for Counties which demand an Antigen test.

The following areas in Ireland are considered Risk Areas in Germany.
    • Ireland (since 21 March 2021) – the following regions are currently classified as basic
    risk areas:
    o Border (since 21 March 2021)
    o Dublin (since 21 March 2021)
    o Mid-East (since 21 March 2021)

If you have a false positive on an antigen test you can stay in the vicinity of Dublin Airport as then you will need to quarantine on travel to Germany. Doing an antigen test two hours before your flight is a very risky thing to be doing and as have been mentioned by those who are so in favour of prohibition of antigen tests Antigen Tests produce a lot of false positive results.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will we ever get the answer of why Ireland had/is one of the most restricted countries in the world in this pandemic ?

Is it cause of our culture which a big part of it is drinking and been social people ?

Is it cause of our health system, one that the general has no control over ?

Is it cause of the spineless leadership in the government who are frightened to make a decision and are hiding behind 'Health officials' ?

beyond frustration at this point

Why was and is Europe’s youngest nation suppressed the most for the longest, to combat a disease that effects the elderly??

Why was that?

Perhaps lack of leadership from government and nPHEt taking the lead, becoming a monster that can’t be stopped?

Tony Holohan exhaled his recent excoriation of antigen testing as it being "no better than a coin toss".

That's right. The Germans clearly have no idea what they're doing. :rolleyes:

How is that a reflection on the Irish business?
    What did they do the whole time international travel was shut down?

This is a red herring. Antigen testing is a nice to have, it's not some magic saviour that businesses are waiting for. If their customers haven't already gone elsewhere, then they've adapted their business to cope.

There's nobody suddenly losing business now because there's no antigen testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

It’s not just about work or holidays.
    Ireland has Hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals living and working here. They sometimes need to go home to visit relatives in emergencies. Ditto Irish people loving and working abroad. Saying this is just an issue for people wanting to go on holidays or work trips is very disingenuous.

This is a red herring. Antigen testing is a nice to have, it's not some magic saviour that businesses are waiting for. If their customers haven't already gone elsewhere, then they've adapted their business to cope.

There's nobody suddenly losing business now because there's no antigen testing.

Why is the aviation industry protesting to allow antigen testing to be allowed for Ireland? Are they just doing it for the craic? I think a lot of these people know what effects and doesn't effect their industries. That's before you add the added cost of PCR tests. Some people are bending over backwards to make excuses for NPHET on their anti antigen test stance. If any countries aviation sector needs all the support it can get now its Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It’s not just about work or holidays.
    Ireland has Hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals living and working here. They sometimes need to go home to visit relatives in emergencies. Ditto Irish people loving and working abroad. Saying this is just an issue for people wanting to go on holidays or work trips is very disingenuous.

Absolutely ,I have a daughter in the UK and havent seen her since Feb 2020 and there are many many more like us . We just need to see our families and they us .,

Actually, claiming that this is a massive issue is disingenuous.

An unvaccinated person absolutely having to travel at less than 24 hours notice is a very niche issue, one which won't really exist for very much longer. And it's not a new issue being caused by the lack of antigen testing.

The ones making the most noise about this are just people who don't want the cost and inconvenience of a PCR test before they go abroad.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Absolutely ,I have a daughter in the UK and havent seen her since Feb 2020 and there are many many more like us . We just need to see our families and they us .,
    A lack of antigen testing is not what's stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lack of antigen testing is not what's stopping you.

Actually she is waiting for her second dose and so am I .,Then we can feel safe and free to travel .There should be no need for anything more than an antigen test for us at that stage.
    Have you any idea how people are feeling not seeing grandchildren and children for almost 18mths .? People are desperate at this stage and need it to be made a bit easier for us

Suffered. Lost business. Downsized. Went bust. The sort of thing that you and NPHET don't seem to give a **** about.

And my point wasn't solely about antigen testing. To repeat myself, anything that can be done to try and mitigate these issues should be done, testing is just part of the whole.

• Advertisement

Suffered. Lost business. Downsized. Went bust. The sort of thing that you and NPHET don't seem to give a **** about.
    NPHET's focus is public health, not business. It's a pandemic, collateral damage to business is unavoidable. Keeping business afloat shouldn't come before public health.

I'm not unsympathetic, but there's fvck all point dwelling on it. We can rebuild when this is over. You can restart businesses, you can't make people undead.

Actually, claiming that this is a massive issue is disingenuous.
    You are challenged on an outrageous claim and double down.

Getting a PCR test is a huge hassle. I'm waiting for the result to come through for tomorrow morning and if it doesn't I'm not going to be allowed board a plane to Ireland.
    If it hasn't arrived in the next 200 minutes I'm going to have to start calling the Lab.

When did you last travel out of the country? It sounds like you aren't doing it regularly or you have somebody he does those bothersome "things" for you.

Nobody's going to die if you miss your flight tomorrow and you have to rebook. I know I'm sounding glib, but this is a pandemic. You have to just suck these things up and deal with it until this is over. What have you done every other time you got on a flight for the last 15 months?

Like I say, this isn't suddenly a new problem. As it stands, people are annoyed because things aren't being made slightly easier for them to travel. BFD.

You are challenged on an outrageous claim and double down.

Getting a PCR test is a huge hassle. I'm waiting for the result to come through for tomorrow morning and if it doesn't I'm not going to be allowed board a plane to Ireland.
    If it hasn't arrived in the next 200 minutes I'm going to have to start calling the Lab.

When did you last travel out of the country? It sounds like you aren't doing it regularly or you have somebody he does those bothersome "things" for you.

I got it done, wasn't a hassle at all.

Takes a few minutes, you're in and out. The lab does the rest of the work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

NPHET's focus is public health, not business. It's a pandemic, collateral damage to business is unavoidable. Keeping business afloat shouldn't come before public health.

I'm not unsympathetic, but there's fvck all point dwelling on it. We can rebuild when this is over. You can restart businesses, you can't make people undead.

You cannot have a functioning health service with appropriate public health responses without a functioning economy.

eskimohunt wrote: »
    I got it done, wasn't a hassle at all.

Takes a few minutes, you're in and out. The lab does the rest of the work for you.
    For travel? Add those variables in to the equation and things get complicated very quickly.
    Will the test arrive on time? Does hire car need to be cancelled with or without loss of deposit. Does hotel room need to be cancelled with or without loss of deposit/whole cost. Does space in airport car park need to be cancelled with or without loss of deposit/full cost.

Did you get a warm fuzzy feeling handing over between 100 and 150 euro for your PCR test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I really hope there is minimal need for any testing next Autumn given the level of vaccinations we will be at

But children won't be vaccinated? I'm not saying children need to be vaccinated either. Antigen tests would be useful in Educational settings to curb the spread of any new variants that might crop up in the Winter months.

Like I said, this country is full of people unaffected by the pandemic response smugly telling everybody else to just suck it up. Easy to ****ing say isn't it.

Never mind how inane it is to say there is no point dwelling on it and that we can just rebuild later. How reductive is that? Its not a zero sum game you know, where we are either in a pandemic or we are not. We can do things right this very minute to mitigate those losses and help those people struggling, to minimise the long term impacts. We should do that, not just sit there like ****ing chumps saying "sure what can you do".

The people making the policies won't have to rebuild though. They'll be sitting comfortably on their 6 figure salaries and large pensions regardless of the mess they have caused.

I guess we'll also have to suck it up when they send us the bill.

Maybe then people will start wondering why the country remained heavily restricted long after the deaths stopped and the hospitals emptied.

• Advertisement

Like I said, this country is full of people unaffected by the pandemic response smugly telling everybody else to just suck it up. Easy to ****ing say isn't it.

Never mind how inane it is to say there is no point dwelling on it and that we can just rebuild later. How reductive is that? Its not a zero sum game you know, where we are either in a pandemic or we are not. We can do things right this very minute to mitigate those losses and help those people struggling, to minimise the long term impacts. We should do that, not just sit there like ****ing chumps saying "sure what can you do".

Its insane how out of touch a lot of people really are. I know lots of people who are still trying to rebuild from 2008 and likely never will. Banks won't touch them for credit for the rest of their lives.

Advertisement