Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Japan is just coming down from the highest number of deaths they had during the whole pandemic. That mask mandate really did work wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I'm a simple man, and I have no idea what a strawberry man is, gaslighting or catfishing either for that matter... so many fancy words, all up there in the clouds with the educated people who frown upon us mere mortals, you know, the ones who are anti-knowledge.

All I know is that covid is finished, and there's no point in complaining to officialdom.

Why take the official route when you can just post on boards.ie?

It'll all have the same net result anyway... Nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,422 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I can tell a deflection when I see one too.

So here's your example - that because there is still some media coverage of covid, other pressing issues can't be looked. And it is contradicted by the other issues being covered and given more coverage than covid at present.

So spare us the simple man speech, it's just a deflection from when your argument has been disproven.

If covid is finished, why are you posting on a public forum bemoaning that RTE is covering it?

Your own actions invalidate your own claims

You realise you can unsubscribe from this forum anytime you want. Nobody is obliging you to read it. If you think it is finished.

And those who don't think it is finished, can continue to post away.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Turns out the Japanese has people just like us. See if you can spot the problem in the picture in this news article.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/12/27/national/maskless-world-fantasy/

Say what now?

More big words & phrases again.

I'm not looking for anything I say to be proved or disproved, I'm here to discuss covid, complain about it even, because this is a free, public discussion forum.

I don't care for arguments or proofs regarding my beliefs, I'm here in the covid forum to discuss covid, maybe even meet like minded "covid is over" people, and my position is indeed that covid is over, but you say that it isn't.

Thankfully the government / governments don't agree with you any more.

You say your piece, I say my piece, and we go our merry ways.

I don't need to give proofs, arguments, statistics, etc, I'm just stating my beliefs.

• Advertisement

Dear God, I can see at least two noses in that photo!

But I read numerous articles stating that Japan and other Asian countries had 'beaten' coronavirus through their mask wearing, which everyone adheres to perfectly, unlike us stupid westerners. It can't be that it just wasn't true and masks didn't really make a difference could it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

But think about the unlimited number of deaths that could have happened without masks.....lol

Japan had 67,000 total covid deaths from a population of 140 million, and Tokyo the most populated metropolitan area in the world.

Considering their aging demographic this is a much lower rate than other large advanced nations.

So they must have been doing some things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Almost as if masks reduced R to some reasonable level that allowed the healthcare system to handle contagious SARS-COV2 patients.

• Advertisement

I would credit the Japanese healthcare system which is generally accepted as excellent and the fact that their life expectancy is the highest in the world as far more important than anecdotal suggestions that masks helped towards the Japan death toll.

High life expectancy means more people in vulnerable demographicd for covid. Not sure what point you think you are making but it actually undercuts your argument.

Have you any evidence they had high hospitalisations but lower death rates for such cases versus Ireland or France etc say that might support your argument re healthcare system?

There are a multitude of reasons why Japanese are one of the healthiest and longest living populations in the world which have nothing to do with Covid. These reasons alone along with an excellent healthcare system throughout their lifespan (not just during Covid) makes comparing them to Ireland completely futile.

But you probably knew that already and went with something else.

High life expectancy means large numbers of people in vulnerable demographic for covid. Theres a clue in your post - longest living. Old people still die in Japan of age related conditions - maybe thats a few years older in Japan than Ireland but it doesnt alter the numbers point given their demographic profile.

There is also the mega city of Tokyo with its concentration of people.

And Japan wasnt just compared with Ireland. You mentioned the quality of their healthcare system so implicitly you had in mind comparisons with other countries.

You are unable to provide any evidence to support your claim of better hospital outcomes in Japan during covid versus elsewhere such as major EU nations or Canada. So it is without foundation.

Not going to derail a thread any longer for an argument you've cherry picked. Ignore list is LONG overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Worztron

I heard a segment of the The Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk about a week ago. There was a doctor on. They mentioned the low percent of 18~49 year olds getting the 2nd booster. I think they said 8%. Does anyone know what the current uptake % for that group is now? Any places that shows this data? Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It could be absolutely anything. Some countries simply count differently what is a covid death and what isn't. There are a million variables between definitions, methodologies, health care, age pyramid, restrictions etcpp. If we sat down in a group for a couple of hours we'd come up with a list that would stretch over the next ten pages. To pick a thing or two and say if we only we had done X or Y is like reading tea leaves. To conclude it must have been - say - masks is just unfounded pushing of ones favourite subject.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

We can much more easily eliminate wrong answers, or those for which there is no plausible evidence.

Which is what I was doing.

Determining exact balance between different measures is obviously more challenging. But where we can say we have plausible basis for believing X reduces transmission and they deployed it more than their peers... then it is worthy of consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Every country knew that restrictions and partial lockdowns would have knock-on effects and trade-offs, such as people missing screenings.

However at the time it was a new disease, cases were spiking globally, deaths were rising, national health systems were coming under critical stress, we didn't have vaccines. It's just easy to nitpick with hindsight, but a majority of the public (and national health bodies) supported the actions we took at the time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭hometruths

Not everybody is agreed on the plausibility of the evidence that X reduces transmission, which rather illustrates Calamari's point.

We included 12 trials (10 cluster‐RCTs) comparing medical/surgical masks versus no masks to prevent the spread of viral respiratory illness (two trials with healthcare workers and 10 in the community). Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of influenza‐like illness (ILI)/COVID‐19 like illness compared to not wearing masks (risk ratio (RR) 0.95, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.84 to 1.09; 9 trials, 276,917 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence. Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of laboratory‐confirmed influenza/SARS‐CoV‐2 compared to not wearing masks (RR 1.01, 95% CI 0.72 to 1.42; 6 trials, 13,919 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence)

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub6/full

• Advertisement

I nitpicked during "the covid", never mind with hindsight, and it looks like I was right to complain about my civil liberties being restricted for nothing.

Majority of the public supported the actions you say?

How about someone who knew something was off with their body but couldn't get anyone to have a good look at it. Did they support the restrictions and reduction in health services?

The public were threatened, cajoled, browbeat, coerced and guilt tripped into toeing the line and supporting the restrictions. You needed to live in a hermetically sealed box not to be confronted by covid propaganda. If you stepped out of line there were many, many people, including your neighbours, who were all to happy to hang you out to dry.

Preying on peoples fears is what caused people to support the restrictions.... leave granny sitting in the open window or you'll kill her, better still, don't visit her in first place, it's safer that way.

It's shameful era of our country's history, but yeah, you feel free to keep saying that everything was rosy in the garden, carry on supporting the restrictions and the government trying to establish a mini-China.

People supported the restrictions because they had no other choice, while King Tony and his minions, sorry, the national health bodies, just went on a power trip, plain and simple.... but it was for the greater good so no problem.

Got a text message from the HSE today, reminding me I was due my covid booster..... Reported the text as spam and deleted it.

Obviously I didn't get the booster, won't be getting it either, and I don't know of many others who did get it.

Mind you, they probably got jabbed on the quiet and said nothing to me because they didn't need that ballache on a Monday morning 🤣

civil liberties

Measures against the pandemic had nothing to do with civil liberties or politics. In 1918, during the Spanish flu epidemic, there were masks, lockdowns, distancing, and similar measures to tackle that spread.

There were also individuals back then who perceived those measures were political or "attacks" on their freedom and railed against them as such.

Some US cities took measures against the Spanish flu, not all, and barely any mandatory public health measures took place outside the US. Unless you can provide evidence of widespread, worldwide school closures and social distancing measures, then it was nothing alike. The truth is, the scale of COVID lockdowns, school and business closures, travel restrictions, vaccine passports etc was unprecedented in history

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0611071104

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Remember we couldn't travel more then 5km. Couldn't go for a walk outdoors at the beach, meanwhile hundreds of gardai visited every tourist spot in the country to do a dance off for tick tok.

It was 100 years ago, and they still used the same measures to "flatten the curve", which had effect as we can see city by city.

When this pandemic went global, countries all over the world enacted similar measures to tackle it, reduce cases and reduce deaths. Measures that were supported by the majority of the public.

Anything that prevented me from doing what was considered normal up until it wasn't, I would consider restrictions on my civil liberties, especially since I hadn't committed a henious crime.

Examples:

You can leave the house, but don't go too far, and heaven forbid, don't you dare sit on a park bench because sitting outdoors isn't exercise

Stay away from that beach, the guards have it closed down so they can ensure good social distancing while they dance

Driving to the supermarket of you choice was banned, you can only drive to the nearest one

I could go on.

Measures against the pandemic were overkill, to put it mildly.

All that bolloxology and covid still ran wild through the population, yet the country or the world for that matter, didn't melt down.

So you can keep your measures and don't tell me that they were for my own protection.

Measures were supported....

How we laughed 🤣

Yeah they were voluntarily supported all right, the support had nothing to do with the 24/7 omnipresence of covid propaganda.

Some people can just about add 2 & 2, myself included (not a numbers person), yet the entire country was able to quote the covid R number on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

Zero PCR positives reported yesterday. That must be a first.

Will finally get out for a pint tonight.

Cant wait.

• Advertisement

People were supportive back in March 2020 when the media were spreading fake pictures of people dropping dead in the streets and our experts were claiming that 100,000 Irish could die.

It very quickly became clear that it was all nonsense though and support very quickly dropped.

What's clear is that we really need our experts to be calm in these situations and make sensible short, medium and long term decisions.

What we got is experts panicking, causing panic and just copying each other.

Advertisement