Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Very funny

It's true.

It's true.

Opposition =/= batsh*t crazy. Something based in reality and just a touch of decency is the minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Tony’s definition of ‘normal life’ is interesting!

“If you are fully vaccinated you can safely resume normal life - meeting other fully vaccinated people from up to two households indoors without masks or social distancing, and meeting unvaccinated people from one other household indoors and without masks.

Why if everyone is fully vaccinated are we only "allowed" to meet people from up to two households?

That sort of nonsensical arbitrary bollocks causes people to switch off and stop listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Why if everyone is fully vaccinated are we only "allowed" to meet people from up to two households?

That sort of nonsensical arbitrary bollocks causes people to switch off and stop listening.

2 households is more than enough to meet up because Tony said so

Now if you keep complaining there will be no Disney land next year either

Now it’s 10:30 it’s time for bed

Opposition =/= batsh*t crazy. Something based in reality and just a touch of decency is the minimum

In the US, opposition comes in the form of the Republican Party, Fox News, Breitbart, and numerous public figures (Ben Shapiro, Dave Rubin et al). It doesn't matter whether they're any good, it's just the case that they provide opposition.

In the UK, there's Talk Radio, The Telegraph, GB News, The Covid Recovery Group, Lord Sumption, Peter Hitchens, and The Daily Mail to some extent.

Australia has Sky News Australia.

Choose any country and you'll see that there's opposition. The only country where there's practically zero opposition is Ireland. And about a third of the country is conservative. Gript was the only newspaper that reported on Independent SAGE's emails and Ivor Cummins. And Gript isn't that well known really. Again, it's not a question of whether you like Cummins or not. If it had been the US it would have been in almost every newspaper and every news station. It's not good for a country not to have a functioning fourth estate. Edmund Burke spoke of the importance of the fourth estate in a democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

But, but apparently Ireland are no. 1 in the EU. :rolleyes:

You can roll your eyes and be as miserably anti- Irish and pro German as you like, I am proud of the way we have pulled our little country through this, despite a much more limited health service than that of that much bigger country.
    We do not have the resources to take the chances that some of the bigger countries take like Germany and I applaud them for their brave opening up, I don't begrudge any of them.
    Stop with the us and them rhetoric.
    Can you not say anything positive when things are going so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So if you've got a group of 4 friends, all living separately and all fully vaccinated, all four aren't allowed to meet up indoors?

Somebody explain to me how that makes sense please

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Gortanna wrote: »
    It's true.

:pac: That's an interesting example indeed. I wonder how much insulin costs there.

JRant wrote: »
    Why would anyone need a test of any variety once fully vaccinated?

Never said they would!

Renjit wrote: »
    :pac: That's an interesting example indeed. I wonder how much insulin costs there.

Do you think it's healthy for a country to have no opposition?

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »
    Because nobody has given a good answer yet!

No. Its because some of the people posting these questions have been spamming the Covid threads for the last 14 months, and never read the perfectly reasonable answers given them or hoose to misconstrue them and misdirect.
    Same nonsense over and over and over...
    I am not the only poster who thinks this I know.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You can roll your eyes and be as miserably anti- Irish and pro German as you like, I am proud of the way we have pulled our little country through this, despite a much more limited health service than that of that much bigger country.
    We do not have the resources to take the chances that some of the bigger countries take like Germany and I applaud them for their brave opening up, I don't begrudge any of them.

Why is the health service so limited? You paint a picture of the HSE funded on a shoestring budget in our proud little country

Ireland spends about €4500 per person on healthcare, Germany about €4900

Germany does have 18 million citizens over 65 though so has higher demand on its healthcare

My concern for Ireland is that it will take investment to reform the health service, but with spiralling debt levels due to such long plentiful covid lockdowns here, we now won’t be able to make improvements to the already costly health service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Steve012 wrote: »
    Take me out and shoot me for posting this, in all fairness though, it's interesting

Linked video removed.

If the video been on bitchute doesn't raise alarms. Interesting to say the least.

To save others sometime it boils down to 'Governments are lying to you' about lockdowns, PCR tests and vaccines.

Debunked: Claims by an ex-Pfizer employee about Covid-19 and vaccines are false and misleading
    Mike Yeadon is regularly cited by anti-lockdown groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

So if you've got a group of 4 friends, all living separately and all fully vaccinated, all four aren't allowed to meet up indoors?

Because they'd all start playing music.....and start dancing most likely!!!!

It's science...just following the science.

Once again you are showing that you are misinformed. Per capita spending on health is similar in Ireland and Germany. Germany is an aged nation. Ireland is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No. Its because some of the people posting these questions have been spamming the Covid threads for the last 14 months

Indeed. There are a few lads in the restrictions threads that average about 500/600 posts per thread, you really have to wonder about the mentality on show there. Such things must be a reflection of some of the complexes developing in society at large, developed in a culture of caution and fear pushed by those in position to do so.

Most of us will embrace normality the very minute we are allowed to do so, others won't know what to do with it when it comes, so how they react will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,381 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Indeed. There are a few lads in the restrictions threads that average about 500/600 posts per thread, you really have to wonder about the mentality on show there. Such things must be a reflection of some of the complexes developing in society at large, developed in a culture of caution and fear pushed by those in position to do so.

Most of us will embrace normality the very minute we are allowed to do so, others won't know what to do with it when it comes, so how they react will be interesting.
    There's many here with alternative views posting a lot.
    I'd guess none of them ever leave the house. Lots of them just post what they think is popular and will get them loads of thanks, others just to upset people and others again because they want an argument.
    I don't believe there's many posting here who are that concerned by lockdowns. Like if you are anti-lockdown and keen to be out and about I can't imagine you'd be spending much time on the internet. Some of those constantly whinging about lockdowns and NPHET are constantly on about it. You'd have to question how genuine they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

#BeBrave #throwOnTheGreenJersey

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

In the US, opposition comes in the form of the Republican Party, Fox News, Breitbart, and numerous public figures (Ben Shapiro, Dave Rubin et al). It doesn't matter whether they're any good, it's just the case that they provide opposition.

In the UK, there's Talk Radio, The Telegraph, GB News, The Covid Recovery Group, Lord Sumption, Peter Hitchens, and The Daily Mail to some extent.

Australia has Sky News Australia.

Choose any country and you'll see that there's opposition. The only country where there's practically zero opposition is Ireland. And about a third of the country is conservative. Gript was the only newspaper that reported on Independent SAGE's emails and Ivor Cummins. And Gript isn't that well known really. Again, it's not a question of whether you like Cummins or not. If it had been the US it would have been in almost every newspaper and every news station. It's not good for a country not to have a functioning fourth estate. Edmund Burke spoke of the importance of the fourth estate in a democracy.

When opposition is based on lies and conning the population in following a false agenda, is that a healthy opposition?

I have no problem with an opposition challenging the rationale for restrictions. It is healthy and there are valid arguments. An opposition that is based purely on lies however is not that.

The opposition here have been quite vigorous in challenging the government and in their response to Covid. They have gone the opposite way though saying we did not go far enough. And ISAG were part of that opposition, so do conflate criticism of that group as opposing our stance on Covid is incorrect as they are the loudest opposition to our stance on Covid in the public sphere

It doesn’t make sense from an infection control purpose. It’s done because they don’t want a type of vaccine apartheid where one section of the population gets to live normally while another cant

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't believe there's many posting here who are that concerned by lockdowns. Like if you are anti-lockdown and keen to be out and about I can't imagine you'd be spending much time on the internet. Some of those constantly whinging about lockdowns and NPHET are constantly on about it. You'd have to question how genuine they are.
    Lose coworkers to suicide and your tune would change. I see an awful lot of "I'm alright Jack" and not much empathy there in your post.

Lose coworkers to suicide and your tune would change. I see an awful lot of "I'm alright Jack" and not much empathy there in your post.

I know two people who died through suicide during lockdowns. Did it contribute. 100%. Was it the true cause, probably not. Would they still be alive if there had been no lockdown. Unknowable.

What we do know is there is no evidence of an increase in suicides through lockdown. Possibly this is because through the isolation some people were actually forced to confront their pre existing issues and came through it, while in others it had the opposite effect.

I know two people who died through suicide during lockdowns. Did it contribute. 100%. Was it the true cause, probably not. Would they still be alive if there had been no lockdown. Unknowable.

What we do know is there is no evidence of an increase in suicides through lockdown. Possibly this is because through the isolation some people were actually forced to confront their pre existing issues and came through it, while in others it had the opposite effect.

Interesting. Government counting of deaths included anyone who had corona despite cause of death being something terminal and you discount all who died of suicide attributable in large part to the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

AdamD wrote:
    If there were no vaccines we wouldn't be committing to years of restrictions

What would we be doing instead?

Interesting. Government counting of deaths included anyone who had corona despite cause of death being something terminal and you discount all who died of suicide attributable in large part to the lockdown.

Things that were never said by anyone number 16,394,862

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭robbiezero

When opposition is based on lies and conning the population in following a false agenda, is that a healthy opposition?

I have no problem with an opposition challenging the rationale for restrictions. It is healthy and there are valid arguments. An opposition that is based purely on lies however is not that.

The opposition here have been quite vigorous in challenging the government and in their response to Covid. They have gone the opposite way though saying we did not go far enough. And ISAG were part of that opposition, so do conflate criticism of that group as opposing our stance on Covid is incorrect as they are the loudest opposition to our stance on Covid in the public sphere

The only thing more useless than the Government is the opposition. Its like 2007 again when the Government were increasing our current spending based on us selling 100K houses to each other year on year.
    The only thing we got from the opposition is that we should be spending more.
    Same thing now.
    Opposition know well that they are going to stroll into Government next time out so are sitting tight and playing it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

No. Its because some of the people posting these questions have been spamming the Covid threads for the last 14 months, and never read the perfectly reasonable answers given them or hoose to misconstrue them and misdirect.
    Same nonsense over and over and over...
    I am not the only poster who thinks this I know.

I've yet to see a reasonable answer to the post that you originally responded to. 2 more posts from you on the topic and still no reasonable answer. Talking about misdirect, you're implying our little weak health service is in a precarious position or something, we have less than 60 people hospital with covid out of a population of 5m and yet we still can't have indoor dining.

Some posters on here defend NPHET no matter what they decide, same nonsense over and over from these posters. And a lot of posters think this btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It doesn’t make sense from an infection control purpose. It’s done because they don’t want a type of vaccine apartheid where one section of the population gets to live normally while another cant

That doesn't seem to compute with what we are being told on international travel from 19th July. NPHET have stated they are advising non fully vaccinated not to travel even after that date.

Similarly knowing that those who died from covid were mostly elderly and suffered other co morbidity issues, would anyone who died from covid still be alive today?

Is the economic and social effects of lengthy lockdown going to be felt for many many years ahead in Ireland due to the length and severity of the lockdown it utilised? It likely will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭prunudo

robbiezero wrote: »
    The only thing more useless than the Government is the opposition. Its like 2007 again when the Government were increasing our current spending based on us selling 100K houses to each other year on year.
    The only thing we got from the opposition is that we should be spending more.
    Same thing now.
    Opposition know well that they are going to stroll into Government next time out so are sitting tight and playing it safe.

Wouldn't be so sure about that, this is Ireland after all. FF and Greens will lose the most imo, FG could go well, or certainty better than last time and at the expense of ff/green seats. But alas thats all off topic.

Advertisement