Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options
1158015811582158315841586»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,411 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As an aside - Jed Mercurio scripted the hard hitting medical series Cardiac Arrest in the 90s and did a stint on wards as a trainee doctor before focusing full time on writing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I love his stuff.

Joanne Froggat I''d say was picked for those amazingly expressive doe eyes over the mask!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Today is the day four years ago that offices were closed and kids told not to go into school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Not civil service offices. Not until the 27th. Some BS about leading. Then later, leading by staying out. And later again, leading by going in.

F*ckin Lanigan's Ball, the Kildare Street shuffle. Be the Singapore of Europe etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think Pubs closed on the 15th Mar 2020 then A St Patrick's day like no other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

Surprised this anniversary didn't get any media attention.

Who, apart from the media, can forget Leo's announcement shutting all our schools, colleges and childcare facilities with immediate effect? I don't think there has been a more dramatic TV announcement in our history.

But who remembers that Leo was standing in front of Mike Pence's residence and that Leo had lost the election just a month earlier?

But, somehow..., he survived and he's back although this time not meeting Mike Pence (who fell out with Trump after 4 years of loyal service!) but Kamala Harris, the reason Democrats can't find an alternative candidate to the man everyone knows is too old for his job. Leo and Kamala could chat about why Modi won't invite either of them to visit their parental homeland. Rishi Sunak got a great welcome, but his father-in-law saw to that!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-schools-colleges-and-childcare-facilities-in-ireland-to-shut-1.4200977

What does the last bit have to do with Covid ?

Hard not to look back at 2020 and 2021 not feel a little embarrassed. This whole part of boards was pretty mental and intense

All behind us now and people need to remember it all for next years general election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

The last paragraph recalls the weird twists of fate that determined which politicians made unprecedented decisions during the pandemic. Instead of Churchill and FDR we got a weird mixture of leaders - Trump and Boris (at least they did win one election each.)

Four years ago today we had the bizarre spectacle of Leo as acting Taoiseach, having just lost the election, shutting Ireland down from the steps of the US Vice-President’s residence. Now Mike Pence is gone because he accepted that he and Trump lost the election.

In his place is Kamala Harris because Biden was hoist on his own petard - he promised a minority woman and was left with little option but the woman whose candidacy no one supported and who attacked him as pandering to segregationists. And what do she and Leo have in common - India!

All of which goes to show that the world needs more credible leaders to face the next pandemic.

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,339 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 86,178 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was in CUH A&E today and surprised by no masks on patients or nurses or doctors, patients coughing without even covering their mouth

I probably still do little things now as routine

I suppose some are still more aware it is around and act accordingly, each individual is different, take care stay safe all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Deleted.

The new Covid 'FLiRT' variants, KP. 1.1 and KP.2, have been confirmed in Ireland - with the Health Protection Surveillance Centre reporting 23 cases of these strains so far.

These 'FLiRT' variants are offshoots of the JN. 1 variant - all part of the broader Omicron family - that has been spreading for most of this year. The acronym in the name refers to the locations of the amino acid mutations that the virus has picked up - amino phenylalanine (F) replaces leucine (L), and arginine (R) is replaced by threonine (T).

Healthcare professionals worldwide are reporting a rise in 'FliRT' cases, sparking fears that these variants may be more transmissible and better at escaping prior immunity than previous waves.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/new-covid-flirt-variant-confirmed-29217218

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

I have it atm. Absolutely dying. The one I got few years ago was a walk in the park compared to this.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Same. Have it now over a week. Was seriously tired for the first few days and now the last day or two, have a cough, blocked head, sinus pressure and runny nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GHendrix

I have it at the moment. Same as before really. Bit tired and some sniffles. Absolutely wouldn’t miss a day of work for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

But you'll go into work and make someone else sick and make them miss work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Woke up Monday feeling crap after feeling perfectly fine Sunday. Had a few tests so said I'd do them. Positive.

3rd time now and this is the worst. Chest and head feel like they want to explode. Aching all over, and non stop sweating. Feels like 100 degrees 😂

Good few others I know have it too.

From RTE

There is increased Covid-19 activity in Ireland, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre has said.

There were 502 cases seen in the week to 2 June, compared with 306 cases the previous week.

However, there were no ICU admissions and no deaths reported in the last week.

No new variant of concern has been identified and currently the predominant variant is the JN.1 strain.

The HPSC said that increased waves are usually seen every three to five months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Third time to have it but this time it feels worse. Sweating in bed the past 3 nights, sheets and pillows wet from sweating. Had to get up in middle of night to change bed clothes. Sneezing alot before a positive test on Thursday last, then sore throat, headache, runny nose and I now have a cough. Not nice.

Has covid changed things ?

People are not as social and more aware of crowd safety etc

Funerals a little different, less going to the 'viewing'

Lifestyles have changed some for the better, some for the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I’d say people use it as an excuse and suit themselves much like the whole lockdown. People took the parts that suited them and ran with it but where is started to impact them a bit more the rules became a bit more disposable.

Advertisement