Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can we ease up on the generalisations folks. Discuss the incident yes but let's not get ourselves into trouble, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yeah I have a mate getting married in a registry office tomorrow after postponing his wedding twice.

Joke-shop that it was allowed to go ahead purely so as not to be accused of discrimination.

Nothing to do with discrimination, more to do with not having the resources to stop 200 drunk and potentially violent people who (evidently) have no respect for the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The Gardai knew about this yesterday

The could have provided more resources as a deterrent to people before entering the marquee

Not policing thanks to the threat of drunk people is not acceptable

Yes a lot of those people have no respect for the law

However they're definitely not going to have any respect for it when they blatantly flout the restrictions and get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 122 (down from 132 last night)
    ICU 37 (down from 39 last night - 1 death)

Last Wednesday
    Total 151
    ICU 43

Could we hit sub 100 this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The Gardai knew about this yesterday

The could have provided more resources as a deterrent to people before entering the marquee

Not policing thanks to the threat of drunk people is not acceptable

Yes a lot of those people have no respect for the law

However they're definitely not going to have any respect for it when they blatantly flout the restrictions and get away with it

To think that fines were handed out to people trying to get some head space going for a walk in outdoor public amenity areas is a stark comparison to this.

Did Tony Holohan make any statement about the dogs on the street knowing what went on here I wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm not condoning it, far from it, but it's hilarious to see people who have done nothing but complain about restrictions and trumpeted about how they'll do as they please, while telling others they can stay hiding under the bed if they wish, are now so indignant that a group have had a wedding gathering. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm not condoning it, far from it, but it's hilarious to see people who have done nothing but complain about restrictions and trumpeted about how they'll do as they please, while telling others they can stay hiding under the bed if they wish, are now so indignant that a group have had a wedding gathering. You couldn't make it up.

It’s also hilarious to see the same people defend the same authorities at all costs even when those authorities don’t apply the law equally.

It’s also hilarious to see the same people defend the same authorities at all costs even when those authorities don’t apply the law equally.

Doesn't change the hypocrisy either way, does it? Two wrongs, and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Vicxas wrote: »

That would be great, the people advocating for Zero Covid have gone pretty quiet in this country and about Ireland in general . That's a good sign that a surge looks unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vicxas wrote: »
    We might but the better number is the falling ICU total. With 400 odd cases a day we may still get people admitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

wadacrack wrote: »
    That would be great, the people advocating for Zero Covid have gone pretty quiet in this country and about Ireland in general . That's a good sign that a surge looks unlikely

Afraid not :(http://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40281578.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

A wedding is a bit different than going for a walk outside your 5k or meeting a friend outdoors to go for the walk.

A wedding is a bit different than going for a walk outside your 5k or meeting a friend outdoors to go for the walk.

Agreed totally but that's not the level of anti-restrictions posting I referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is but that's exactly where the first batch of J&J should be used! We'll have enough to do all of that group, under 50s or not, very shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

leahyl wrote: »

More likely the media approached him for a quote, by posting a link to the article it gets clicks here and he is more likely to do a similar article next week because of it. The media gave voice to the zero covid nutters, and they are driven by whatever gets clicks. The Fourth Estate Is Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

People are indignant not because there was a bug wedding but because the law and the courts are being defied with impunity.

Let’s see how the media handle this story. Who will be held in contempt of court for this brazen refusal to obey a court order? Will there be an internal Garda review to clarify why no effective action was taken to stop this event?

Of course, everyone is guessing which community was involved but the media will perform somersaults to avoid enlightening the Irish people on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Was a report on radio 1 this morning where they were talking to people who were afraid of their lives to meet anyone. This included some people who wouldn't even meet friends/family outside in their gardens. Very sad to hear and the scaremongering by the media and especially RTE would have a lot to do with this. Now knowing rte they probably hand picked the people they interviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

People are indignant not because there was a big wedding but because the law and the courts are being defied with impunity. That is even more aggravating if you oppose the restrictions which are enforced against everyone else.

Let’s see how the media handle this story. Who will be held in contempt of court for this brazen refusal to obey a court order? Will there be an internal Garda review to clarify why no effective action was taken to stop this event?

Of course, everyone knew immediately which community was involved but the media will perform somersaults to avoid enlightening the Irish people on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Do these go as far back as the standard PCR swabs? Might be used improperly by some afraid to go all the way up the snozz, but this is a fantastic development!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Do these go as far back as the standard PCR swabs? Might be used improperly by some afraid to go all the way up the snozz, but this is a fantastic development!!

Yeah I only got tested once and the feeling was not at all pleasant. Find it very difficult to picture myself shoving the thing far enough up my nose for it to be any way accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yeah I only got tested once and the feeling was not at all pleasant. Find it very difficult to picture myself shoving the thing far enough up my nose for it to be any way accurate.

Was just asking that on the vaccine thread. Can't see myself being able to self administer if it's as yucky as you/they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

funnydoggy wrote: »
    So people will go to Lidl for a less accurate test instead of the doctor or a testing centre - and are these cases then not counted in the figures?

Anyone have any idea if these tests are more likely to yield more false positives/false negatives than the other tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Was just asking that on the vaccine thread. Can't see myself being able to self administer if it's as yucky as you/they say!

My daughter gets two a week free in UK . She does a test if she wants to meet friends . She had done 5-6 so far at home and says its not easy but not too bad
    It gives her extra peace of mind to see friends . She is vaccinated with AZ but not all friends are yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So...given it will be in the near enough future when I'm hoping to get a vaccine, and always having wondered whether I could have had covid before (asymptomatic/minor symptoms perhaps), I've ordered an antibody test for €74.

Yes, a fool and his money are easily parted perhaps. Anyway, a home testing kit sent out, you do blood pricks, and send back to lab.

Who knows, more curious than anything :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1390293631752364039?s=21

250-270k next week.

Hitting the stride now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ficheall wrote: »
    So people will go to Lidl for a less accurate test instead of the doctor or a testing centre - and are these cases then not counted in the figures?

Anyone have any idea if these tests are more likely to yield more false positives/false negatives than the other tests?

More false negatives, their sensitivity is much lower. They'll often only get a positive sample if you have large amounts of virus and if you administer correctly.

False positives probably not too likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Today's swabs

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1390306115401908227?s=20

Compared to last week:

485 positive swabs, 2.44% positivity on 19,880 tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

leahyl wrote: »

Oh good old Gerry I’ve experience of stopping a pandemic Killeen.what happened to his predictions of every school child being wiped out after Easter that he confidently predicted on rte radio 1 on Easter Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Great seeing the 7day down to 2.6% now.

Advertisement