Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Gael23 wrote: »
    Any numbers today?

321 313 cases confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

321 313 cases confirmed:

321 313 additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed
    this number of cases may change due to future data validation
    53 COVID-19 patients are in hospital, of which 15 are in intensive care (ICU)

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

Edit: - Reduction in number of cases reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Has to be the first time since this began that I’ve not received a push notification from RTE about the numbers.

It’s nearly over isn’t it??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Has to be the first time since this began that I’ve not received a push notification from RTE about the numbers.

Yes. Yes it is.its the beginning of the end

Next week I am going into the office for a meeting for the first time in 16 months

I am ridiculously excited

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it is.its the beginning of the end

Next week I am going into the office for a meeting for the first time in 16 months

I am ridiculously excited

Remember, strolling into the office in your boxers is only acceptable when your in the home office

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Remember, strolling into the office in your boxers is only acceptable when your in the home office

Well you'll excuse me kind sir but boxers are not part of my wardrobe

I'm getting my nails and hair done in advance, having a badly needed scale and polish in the dentist, and shall flounce into the office fully groomed in a nice frock with carefully chosen accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Cork2021 wrote: »

Just got it now!

Have people stopped dying from Covid or what is the situation because I haven't seen death statistics in a few weeks?

Stheno wrote: »
    Well you'll excuse me kind sir but boxers are not part of my wardrobe

I'm getting my nails and hair done in advance, having a badly needed scale and polish in the dentist, and shall flounce into the office fully groomed in a nice frock with carefully chosen accessories

Apologies:-)

What has been remarkable having had reason to be on-site most weeks at least a couple of days throughout is that as I see those who have remained at home returning, men generally turn up in jeans and t-shirt having previously been trousers and shirt people while women are coming back onsite like “finally, I have a reason to get dressed up”

Apologies:-)

What has been remarkable having had reason to be on-site most weeks at least a couple of days throughout is that as I see those who have remained at home returning, men generally turn up in jeans and t-shirt having previously been trousers and shirt people while women are coming back onsite like “finally, I have a reason to get dressed up”

I'm sick of jeans tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

theguzman wrote: »
    Just got it now!

Sad face

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Have people stopped dying from Covid or what is the situation because I haven't seen death statistics in a few weeks?

Deaths aren't being reported due to the HSE hack.

Yesterday they said 13 deaths for the month of May, 5 so far in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

In an interview for the BBC History magazine, the historian Professor Niall Ferguson of Stanford University said about the 1957-58 influenza pandemic:
    ... it's a different kind of respiratory disease, and the outbreak in the US wasn't as bad - but it's still instructive to compare how the administration of President Eisenhower responded. They knew no more about how bad it would be at the start than we knew in January 2020 about how bad Covid-19 would be.

Ferguson said that health experts told Eisenhower that there was no point in trying to stop the spread of the disease and that they had to accept excess mortality until a vaccine could be developed. That is what took place. There was no lockdown, and they spent a tiny fraction of the money spent by the US government in the past year.

Obviously, Covid is a different type of disease, but the effect of this pandemic on public health worldwide has been similar to that of the 1950s pandemic.

Why were the public throughout the world much less likely to accept excess mortality last year than in 1957?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

mloc123 wrote: »
    Clinic? What type?

Can't say what type. It's essential service though.

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Deaths aren't being reported due to the HSE hack.

Yesterday they said 13 deaths for the month of May, 5 so far in June.

Would there have been more road deaths in the same timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Would there have been more road deaths in the same timeframe?

What's your point?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What's your point?

I could ask the same question to you? I asked a question in light of this very positive news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I could ask the same question to you? I asked a question in light of this very positive news.

Just seems odd to connect the Covid death statistics with Road deaths. The average for road deaths per month is 11.75 - not that it has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RGS wrote:
    Even with our low hospital/ICU numbers there is no ambition in government who it appears cant fart without permission of NPHET.
    Lol, the government make the decisions, not NPHET.
    They made the decision to open up before Christmas and I'm sure you lauded them for that because you knew there would be no problem but as it turned out you were wrong and NPHET's recommendations were right.
    As a result of that egregious error the government are proceeding a lot more cautiously and you can't blame them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lol, the government make the decisions, not NPHET.
    They made the decision to open up before Christmas and I'm sure you lauded them for that because you knew there would be no problem but as it turned out you were wrong and NPHET's recommendations were right.
    As a result of that egregious error the government are proceeding a lot more cautiously and you can't blame them for that.

But people decide to blame NPHET, it's madness why people can't see every decision made during this pandemic has been the Government making them.
    As has been said numerous times, NPHET advise, Government decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Wolf359f wrote: »
    But people decide to blame NPHET, it's madness why people can't see every decision made during this pandemic has been the Government making them.
    As has been said numerous times, NPHET advise, Government decide.

The advice had been to remain in level 5 for most of last year from nPHEt

Government at the time were trying to salvage businesses in the hospitality industry

NPHEt also took no consideration of behaviour patterns of citizens suffering long term suppression in the lead up to Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭alentejo

I suspect figures will start increasing next week. NI have recorded at 20+%increase in figures due to the delta variant.

The advice had been to remain in level 5 for most of last year from nPHEt

Government at the time were trying to salvage businesses in the hospitality industry

NPHEt also took no consideration of behaviour patterns of citizens suffering long term suppression in the lead up to Christmas

But who locked down the country?, who reopened the country?, who made the laws during the pandemic?
    NPHET is an advisory role, they have **** all powers other than writing letters.

alentejo wrote: »
    I suspect figures will start increasing next week. NI have recorded at 20+%increase in figures due to the delta variant.

Delta variant cases are reducing in Ireland. I don't see how figures here will increase next week based on NI cases increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

alentejo wrote: »

Probably another two weeks.

It seems to be a great big case of the sniffles in the UK. Looks like the virus is doing what viruses do and increasing transmission while decreasing fatalities and the nasty things we saw early on back in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wolf359f wrote:
    Delta variant cases are reducing in Ireland. I don't see how figures here will increase next week based on NI cases increasing.
    Well down in my part of the world we have an outbreak amongst primary school kids. Looks like somebody came home from England without a test or self-isolating and one kid got it but apparently that doesn't mean his siblings have to stay home from school and they all went to school and Nueva bunch of school kids have it. Everything cancelled here over the weekend, all GAA, soccer and other sports training and matches and any other activity for kids.
    No word yet if it's the delta variant but some people seem confident that it is.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well down in my part of the world we have an outbreak amongst primary school kids. Looks like somebody came home from England without a test or self-isolating and one kid got it but apparently that doesn't mean his siblings have to stay home from school and they all went to school and Nueva bunch of school kids have it. Everything cancelled here over the weekend, all GAA, soccer and other sports training and matches and any other activity for kids.
    No word yet if it's the delta variant but some people seem confident that it is.

If the case is tracked back to someone from England, it's pretty safe to assume it's the Delta variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Its a good job most people south have got their little trip north out of their system weeks ago I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The republican party agenda is been driven by conspiracy theorists and morons. More than half of republican voters believe the election was stolen.

And again - ISAG are not the policy makers here, and their proposals have not been implemented.

Except the #notmypresident is an artefact of the previous election. The fact is most US Presidential elections are won by slim margins. The best way for Irish people to understand US Presidential Elections is to consider them as similar to an FA Cup Final / All Ireland / Heineken Cup Final where a significant proportion of the fans of the losing side will believe it was stolen from them,, hell some SF supporters still think that the last general election here was a mandate for them to govern without any attempt by them to build a viable majority in the dail and that our current government is just a conspiracy to exclude them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Wolf359f wrote: »
    But who locked down the country?, who reopened the country?, who made the laws during the pandemic?
    NPHET is an advisory role, they have **** all powers other than writing letters.

The only power NPHET had was writing letters? Perhaps, but if you write letters with dire predictions backed up by (dodgy) mathematical modelling and set yourself up as experts in forecasting a pandemic resulting in the blame for possible deaths in the tens of thousand being laid at the feet of government should they disregard their ‘advice’ - then those would be powerful letters.

How do people still believe NPHET was advisory only is beyond me. They were very publicly deferred to for months, by a weak government and were well aware that their recommendations would be enacted without question.

Thankfully that seems to coming to an end now, albeit long overdue. I suspect once NPHET get round to publishing their minutes from the past seven weeks we will see evidence of deviation from their advice.

Advertisement