Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Some doctor on Newstalk was saying it's even more important then ever to talk about daily numbers ffs. They just won't let go.

They keep lying through their teeth, he said 1 in 10 young people who get covid will get long covid symptoms, there's not a shred of evidence to support that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

VinLieger wrote: »
    They keep lying through their teeth, he said 1 in 10 young people who get covid will get long covid symptoms, there's not a shred of evidence to support that

Thomas Ryan?
    Just got the end of his chat on NT. only that more ventilation was needed for indoor hospitality to go ahead is all I got. But that’s been the case for ages. More ventilation means cleaner air. You’d hope some pubs and restaurants have used some grant money to improve this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

VinLieger wrote: »

Just fear mongering. Some of the callers who rang in seriously sound like that have been damaged from a mental health point of view. Saying they look at the numbers every day and get worried/anxious if they go up in any way. Some people are going to be scarred for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

timmyntc wrote: »
    And yet Denmark are doing far more PCRs than us, nevermind the antigen testing.
    What's your point? Denmark is a whole other kettle of fish, but in fact proves my point. They're doing a savage amount of testing and were clocking in far more cases than we were up to very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Just fear mongering. Some of the callers who rang in seriously sound like that have been damaged from a mental health point of view. Saying they look at the numbers every day and get worried/anxious if they go up in any way. Some people are going to be scarred for a long time.

Have a few of them in my regular contacts.

Don't think some people will be right again for a long time after this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Some doctor on Newstalk was saying it's even more important then ever to talk about daily numbers ffs. They just won't let go.

It's a huge money maker for a lot of these guys be it on the radio or TV. Heard that Luke O'Neill fella has a hefty contract with Newstalk to give his opinion for example. A lot really don't want to let go at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hospitals were at 53 yesterday. 38 this morning.

Remarkable pace of decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I wouldn't call it a fantasy as such, or at least its not their own fantasy. It is that Tony decreed that antigen testing was bad and so a cohort of people now believe that antigen testing is bad. Thats how it seems to go, they will defend anything and everything the government does, when antigen testing is finally encouraged by NPHET they will pivot to extolling its virtues without missing a beat.

I enjoyed the commentary from some of them when the first plans for reopening were leaked a few months back, a slow reopening was the right thing to do and NPHET are absolutely correct to suggest one. A few days later there's a complete turn around and NPHET were agreeing to a much faster paced reopening, the same people were now agreeing that this was the correct course to take. Absolutely no critical thinking from them, just blind obedience.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

My mum is one of those. Absolutely terrified, and will ONLY listen to RTE and Primetime because she truly believes they're fully trustworthy.

She's now at the stage where on the extremely rare occasion she walks to the end of the road for air, she wears a mask for the short 2 minute walk because she fully believes someone on Primetime said vaccines are only 80% effective so her being vaccinated makes no difference.

The decline in her mental health is horrendous but nobody cares about the anxiety and fear this whole thing has caused in vulnerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

TefalBrain wrote: »
    It's a huge money maker for a lot of these guys be it on the radio or TV. Heard that Luke O'Neill fella has a hefty contract with Newstalk to give his opinion for example. A lot really don't want to let go at all.

Really, how much?
    Did he send you a copy of it?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    My mum is one of those. Absolutely terrified, and will ONLY listen to RTE and Primetime because she truly believes they're fully trustworthy.

She's now at the stage where on the extremely rare occasion she walks to the end of the road for air, she wears a mask for the short 2 minute walk because she fully believes someone on Primetime said vaccines are only 80% effective so her being vaccinated makes no difference.

The decline in her mental health is horrendous but nobody cares about the anxiety and fear this whole thing has caused in vulnerable people.

Same with mine, asking me all the time ‘is it safe’ to go to various places. I’m getting snarky at this stage, saying that the journey there by car is the least safe part. Nothing In life is safe, but you’re fully vaccinated. Hiding out at home isn’t safe, stairs kill an amazing amount of people. If vaccination isn’t enough, what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Was able to give my granda a big hug earlier for the first time since the pandemic began. Vaccines <3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Talking to a few parents lately and they said they are extremely worried about their teenagers and how far they have fallen since covid in terms of mental health etc.

There was never a care given about people's mental health in all of this and here they are still trying to keep it going with variants and what not.

Absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Multipass wrote: »
    Same with mine, asking me all the time ‘is it safe’ to go to various places. I’m getting snarky at this stage, saying that the journey there by car is the least safe part. Nothing In life is safe, but you’re fully vaccinated. Hiding out at home isn’t safe, stairs kill an amazing amount of people. If vaccination isn’t enough, what is?

People have been fed fear for a long time. It's routine for NPHET and other so called experts to say stuff like vaccines aren't fully effective, they don't give full individual cover etc. For vulnerable people this stuff sounds terrifying. My dad is in the same boat, vaccinated for months now but remains utterly terrified by the news, who keep talking about how potentially ineffective the vaccines could be with variants etc. It's highly irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Talking to a few parents lately and they said they are extremely worried about their teenagers and how far they have fallen since covid in terms of mental health etc.

There was never a care given about people's mental health in all of this and here they are still trying to keep it going with variants and what not.

Absolute disgrace.

The government are being cautious, even overly-cautious, but 'trying to keep it going'? That sort of statement belongs in the conspiracy theory forum. Do you honestly believe that politicians want to lose out on tax money if they can avoid it? Not to mention losing voters? Or that any halfway reasonable person would try to prolong this longer than necessary?

Everyone needs to vent, but let's keep some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Dr. Em wrote: »
    The government are being cautious, even overly-cautious, but 'trying to keep it going'? That sort of statement belongs in the conspiracy theory forum. Do you honestly believe that politicians want to lose out on tax money if they can avoid it? Not to mention losing voters? Or that any halfway reasonable person would try to prolong this longer than necessary?

Why did you assume I'm talking about the politicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭User1998

Its more so the media who want to keep it going. They are profiting greatly from the pandemic and want to keep fear levels high. Fear mongering articles get more clicks and views and result in more revenue.

Also certain government figures have been given extreme powers and don’t want to let them go.

I don’t think anyone is saying the government in general wants this to go on any longer than it has to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My mental health is down the toilet anyway since about January. Not all of it is COVID related, but the general culture of fear really hasn't helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Why did you assume I'm talking about the politicians?

Who are you talking about then? The parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Whereas once our problem was conspiracy theorists on the other end of the scale not taking things seriously enough, we now have a large amount of people (now safely vaccinated) who only consume local news, at their wits end due to the constant negative messaging. The problem is this misinformation and scaremongering about the situation, efficacy of vaccines and new variants is actively affecting public policy, unlike before. This cohort is a key part of the electorate and are becoming some of society's most ill-informed, mostly through no fault of their own (I can see it in my own family).

The recent Irish Times survey about this demographic and their attitudes towards reopening society was eye opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Absolutely ridiculous that we still have a strict lockdown even with only 38 people in hospital. We have a population of 5 million people ffs.

Someone needs to be held accountable for this utmost tunnel vision. Absolute no regards for the populations livelihood. Summer is the best time of the year and they are taking it away from us.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous that we still have a strict lockdown even with only 38 people in hospital. We have a population of 5 million people ffs.

Someone needs to be held accountable for this utmost tunnel vision. Absolute no regards for the populations livelihood. Summer is the best time of the year and they are taking it away from us.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Multipass wrote: »

The day the last person is vaccinated is not the end of the crisis in Ireland

It’s when we start to uncover the cost of the response to covid, from an economic, health and social perspective

The eyes of the world will be on Ireland for a long time, to see what the cost of such lengthy suppression and disregard for all other health issues will have on such a young population

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Huh?

Oh, I know this one!

"You can do some things so what is the problem?".

Thats what you meant to say, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Huh?

Take a quick look around the rest of Europe, we're miles behind.

Denmark are having full stadiums for international football matches while we're not allowing bands play at a wedding. It's pathetic.

Oh, I know this one!

"You can do some things so what is the problem?".

Thats what you meant to say, wasn't it?

Ok then, so we are in strict lockdown then, yes, really, we are.

Dr. Em wrote: »

The government are just a terribly weak government. I think they are just keeping things going because its easier for them to sit on the sidelines. After-all, they've been destroyed by the media if they dared to go against NPHET.

But plenty of others certainly have agenda's to keep it going. I'm sure as long as NPHET are earning big salaries they'll be happy to constantly keep working on Covid until the illness is almost as mild as a cold.

The media are delighted. They don't have to bother with actual journalism anymore. All they have to do is blast out doomsday headlines everyday and spread fear.

Plenty of threads popping up on here and on other forums from people working from home that are trying to see if there is grounds to remain working from home for longer despite the fact that their employers want them back.

I personally think a lot of people are looking at this as a sort of holiday. A break from normality. The same way the weather forum lights up when there is a chance of a red weather warning day.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Keep the fear going so Mental Health can be the next public health emergency and the lads in NPHET can stay topical and in charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Plenty of threads popping up on here and on other forums from people working from home that are trying to see if there is grounds to remain working from home for longer despite the fact that their employers want them back.

Besides your other points which obviously have other side too. Remote work is indeed a good option for those who can afford. It reduces unnecessary traffic congestion. And it also gives option for people to get houses away from work at much more reasonable price. Time saved in commute can be utilized elsewhere. Believe it or not this will be the future, a bit accelerated by covid. Work days may even reduce to 3-4 days a week where remote work is available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1407328694734049281?s=21

And so it begins. The current situation, which is not remotely sustainable, needs urgent rethinking. Pissing money down the drain atm.

Advertisement