Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1407328694734049281?s=21

And so it begins. The current situation, which is not remotely sustainable, needs urgent rethinking. Pissing money down the drain atm.

I’m so shocked. It’s not like no one warned them. We may see some sense prevail given we are haemorrhaging money.

Makes a change from everyone telling us 2 months ago “it’s grand, negative interest rates!! Slow down reopening, sure they’re better off on the pup”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We'll have a lot more fear if we loosen restrictions too quickly (particularly indoor gatherings) and Covid numbers accelerate. January was the worst month of the pandemic as everyone turned on each other due to a frantic lockdown. People need to have a bit of patience, the difference between reopening too early and at the right time will be measured in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

User1998 wrote: »
    Its more so the media who want to keep it going. They are profiting greatly from the pandemic and want to keep fear levels high. Fear mongering articles get more clicks and views and result in more revenue.

Also certain government figures have been given extreme powers and don’t want to let them go.

I don’t think anyone is saying the government in general wants this to go on any longer than it has to

The media especially rte are having an absolute bumper year.
    Some evenings when I'm watching footie or so all I see are government/rte ads (one way or the other). Covid, tv license, seat belts, the truth matters. Government ads on rte must be nearly 50% or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

But plenty of others certainly have agenda's to keep it going. I'm sure as long as NPHET are earning big salaries they'll be happy to constantly keep working on Covid until the illness is almost as mild as a cold.

They are earning big salaries? How much?

Is that in addition to their regular salaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I think in years to come the way RTE have covered Covid will be the subject of a PhD thesis. How does a public service broadcaster cover a pandemic? They are incredibly careful not to go against the NPHET advice at all times; if you listen to how they present stories, they make assumptive statements all the time which are presented as factual. Then they they are broadcasting government ads all the time. In referenda coverage they are obliged to give equal time to all points of view (McKenna judgemment?), but what about a pandemic?

I listened to Morning Ireland this morning on RTE Radio 1 and the flagship item after the 8 am news was about an alleged superspreader event on the banks of the Shannon, outdoors!. Mary Wilson was breathlessly spreading doom and gloom as if it were an impending disaster. I really thought all perspective was lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

hmmm wrote: »
    People need to have a bit of patience, the difference between reopening too early and at the right time will be measured in weeks.

Another two weeks to flatten the curve, hold firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

The media especially rte are having an absolute bumper year.
    Some evenings when I'm watching footie or so all I see are government/rte ads (one way or the other). Covid, tv license, seat belts, the truth matters. Government ads on rte must be nearly 50% or more.

Wouldn't that mean RTÉ is losing money on advertising slots if public service messages are taking up half the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Wouldn't that mean RTÉ is losing money on advertising slots if public service messages are taking up half the time?

RTE get paid well for those advertising slots. They dont broadcast it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1407328694734049281?s=21

And so it begins. The current situation, which is not remotely sustainable, needs urgent rethinking. Pissing money down the drain atm.

It’s too late now

The rest of Europe realised in May 2020 that lockdown should only be used as an extreme, temporary measure to reduce case numbers when exceptionally high

Ireland used lockdown constantly since March 2020 as its primary control measure

Ireland’s finances were in tatters before this, and it’s gotten much worse due to the approach of nPHEt

It’s a staggering level of debt Ireland has, it’s not a good place to be when our health service costs so much to run per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Another two weeks to flatten the curve, hold firm.

"The next 3 weeks are crucial" so said Eamon Ryan on today's 1 o'clock news.
    I have no words....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

TefalBrain wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous now. No way can they continue with this level of attempts to frighten people with numbers that tiny. The vulnerable are vaccinated. It's time to move on now.

What official bodies are doing is priming the population to become aware of possible further restrictions at any point deemed necessary.
    That point is not fixed. It is variable. That is deliberate. One could argue that with both cases and hospitalisation nrs so low the country could open up like they have in other countries. They have set july 19 as the target f international travel BEFORE the EU came out w a statement wanting countries to get ready by july 1st if not before, like France and now other countries.
    So, we are almost 3 weeks behind. They want to be able to delay july 19 date further if there is a rise in Delta (or other) variant cases. How many? They wont tell you but will let you know after you have booked your holiday.
    If we follow the UK we can clearly see that the proposed armageddon and incremental growth has not happened in the last 3 weeks so we can disgard the worst case model scenario now, especially in Ireland.
    Still, Ireland will keep on dragging its feet w a still very concerned TH at the helm. Just waiting for that 'significant' uptake in cases and disgarding any hospitalisation nrs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

timmyntc wrote: »
    RTE get paid well for those advertising slots. They dont broadcast it for free.

Is that so then? I was under the impression that the government covered the production costs but didn't pay market rates for the advertising slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Economics101

From RTE:
    Minister of State Ossian Smyth has said while there is no guarantee that international travel will reopen on 19 July, the plan remains that non-essential travel abroad can resume from that date.

There is an element of risk in travelling, he said, because the rules may change and a new variant could emerge at any time.

Is this more anti-travel nonsense from a Green politician? The Greens would just love to stop us flying anywhere, unless of course it's "essential", which will be determined by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Are they still blaming the lack of deaths from covid on the cyber attack. #nothingtodowithvaccinesnosireebob

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

washman3 wrote: »

Ryan's interested in airlines going bust that's all. He'll be the one in the background praying case numbers rise

washman3 wrote: »

I DO have some words: it is always 'the next few weeks are crucial" and the n some, and a little longer, maybe after the summer, but then we need to be alert with back to school and more people indoors means.. etc. Do you see where i am going w this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Are they still blaming the lack of deaths from covid on the cyber attack. #nothingtodowithvaccinesnosireebob

If only the hackers had started in January, think of the lives that would be saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

From RTE:

Is this more anti-travel nonsense from a Green politician? The Greens would just love to stop us flying anywhere, unless of course it's "essential", which will be determined by them.

We have to keep travel closed to keep down the risk of variants.

This line will continue to be repeated even though every variant has found its way into Ireland despite our strict travel restrictions.

It's almost as if we're living in a country where it's very difficult to keep a virus out due to our open border and trade-dependent economy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This vaccine and spike protein discussion is derailing the thread - take it to the Vaccine Megathread if you want to discuss it any further folks

• Advertisement

Ballynally wrote: »
    What official bodies are doing is priming the population to become aware of possible further restrictions at any point deemed necessary.
    That point is not fixed. It is variable. That is deliberate. One could argue that with both cases and hospitalisation nrs so low the country could open up like they have in other countries. They have set july 19 as the target f international travel BEFORE the EU came out w a statement wanting countries to get ready by july 1st if not before, like France and now other countries.
    So, we are almost 3 weeks behind. They want to be able to delay july 19 date further if there is a rise in Delta (or other) variant cases. How many? They wont tell you but will let you know after you have booked your holiday.
    If we follow the UK we can clearly see that the proposed armageddon and incremental growth has not happened in the last 3 weeks so we can disgard the worst case model scenario now, especially in Ireland.
    Still, Ireland will keep on dragging its feet w a still very concerned TH at the helm. Just waiting for that 'significant' uptake in cases and disgarding any hospitalisation nrs..

Some Covid19 case nrs (from Gov.uk): june 1: 5.243, june 8: 7.666, june 15: 10.482, june 18: 9.924, june 19: 7.778, june 20: 9.097.
    Looks doubling first 2 weeks (june 1-15),then plateauing and going down somewhat. Id say next week will tell if june15 was the peak in the UK.

IRELAND: cases down june 1-june 20.

Its not all due to vaccinations. India vaccination rate is below 10% but rapid fall in Delta cases. Not even a strict lockdown has that effect considering the time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

JDD wrote:
    I'm not saying that it is bad advice, it's probably good advice. But we MUST accept reality and know that just because you or me would decide that it was for the greater good not to travel, doesn't mean that the majority would decide the same.

I"m asking you how you think government should respond to that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

VinLieger wrote:
    They keep lying through their teeth, he said 1 in 10 young people who get covid will get long covid symptoms, there's not a shred of evidence to support that
    Show me your evidence that he's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

eagle eye wrote: »
    Show me your evidence that he's wrong.

So I can say anything on national Radio as long as I make sure nobody can prove me wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

39 I believe is the fewest since the 1st September 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

294 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't usually engage in the media bashing and the RTE bashing in particular because a lot of it is just pure childish reactionary stuff - "doom mongering" "RTE is the virus" etc, etc - but, Jesus, I nearly had a Road to Damascus moment there listening to Damien English trying to get a word in edgeways on Radio One.

It's not often I feel a degree of sympathy for a TD in a media interview, but I came close. He was grilled right from the off: what are you going to do about the Delta varient, what are you waiting for, why don't you listen to the science, why can't you say you're going to delay the re-opening, there's an outbreak in Athlone...

It was relentless and ridiculous. The presenter would not rest until he got him to say that we're delaying the re-opening.

Two weeks ago they were slamming the government for not opening up quick enough, then it was antigen tests and now, since yesterday: full bore Delta varient.

They need to chill the fck out here. We're in a wait and see pattern at the moment. Nobody can say right now what the next few weeks will bring, it's a bit unreasonable to expect government TDs to announce further or continuing restrictions based on something the media itself was only partially concerned about until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't usually engage in the media bashing and the RTE bashing in particular because a lot of it is just pure childish reactionary stuff - "doom mongering" "RTE is the virus" etc, etc - but, Jesus, I nearly had a Road to Damascus moment there listening to Damien English trying to get a word in edgeways on Radio One.

It's not often I feel a degree of sympathy for a TD in a media interview, but I came close. He was grilled right from the off: what are you going to do about the Delta varient, what are you waiting for, why don't you listen to the science, why can't you say you're going to delay the re-opening, there's an outbreak in Athlone...

It was relentless and ridiculous. The presenter would not rest until he got him to say that we're delaying the re-opening.

Two weeks ago they were slamming the government for not opening up quick enough, then it was antigen tests and now its full bore Delta varient since yesterday.

They need to chill the fck out here. We're in a wait and see pattern at the moment. Nobody can say right now what the next few weeks will bring, it's a bit unreasonable to expect government TDs to announce further or continuing restrictions based on something the media itself was only partially concerned about until yesterday.

Yeah the presenter was shameful

Awful interview from him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Vicxas wrote: »
    294 cases

My god, Delta is rampant now…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

TheDoctor wrote: »
    My god, Delta is rampant now…..

Is it?

Advertisement