Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Is it?

Maybe that was sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

TheDoctor wrote: »
    My god, Delta is rampant now…..

Quick ban everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

eagle eye wrote: »
    Show me your evidence that he's wrong.

LOL your honestly asking me to prove a negative, get back in yer box.

Here's my statement, there is no evidence to backup his claim, if you disagree then it's up to you to prove me wrong and show me the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Show me your evidence that he's wrong.

Where is the evidence he is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't usually engage in the media bashing and the RTE bashing in particular because a lot of it is just pure childish reactionary stuff - "doom mongering" "RTE is the virus" etc, etc - but, Jesus, I nearly had a Road to Damascus moment there listening to Damien English trying to get a word in edgeways on Radio One.

It's not often I feel a degree of sympathy for a TD in a media interview, but I came close. He was grilled right from the off: what are you going to do about the Delta varient, what are you waiting for, why don't you listen to the science, why can't you say you're going to delay the re-opening, there's an outbreak in Athlone...

It was relentless and ridiculous. The presenter would not rest until he got him to say that we're delaying the re-opening.

Two weeks ago they were slamming the government for not opening up quick enough, then it was antigen tests and now its full bore Delta varient since yesterday.

They need to chill the fck out here. We're in a wait and see pattern at the moment. Nobody can say right now what the next few weeks will bring, it's a bit unreasonable to expect government TDs to announce further or continuing restrictions based on something the media itself was only partially concerned about until yesterday.

Which presenter was it? I’d put a bet it’s Boucher Hayes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

hmmm wrote: »
    We'll have a lot more fear if we loosen restrictions too quickly (particularly indoor gatherings) and Covid numbers accelerate. January was the worst month of the pandemic as everyone turned on each other due to a frantic lockdown. People need to have a bit of patience, the difference between reopening too early and at the right time will be measured in weeks.

There's only 38 people in hospital right now with covid. It's done, it's over, get back to your normal life ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We'll have a lot more fear if we loosen restrictions too quickly (particularly indoor gatherings) and Covid numbers accelerate. January was the worst month of the pandemic as everyone turned on each other due to a frantic lockdown. People need to have a bit of patience, the difference between reopening too early and at the right time will be measured in weeks.

The next two weeks are crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Vicxas wrote: »
    294 cases

Case numbers do not matter at this stage. Only hospital/ICU cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

GiftofGab wrote: »
    There's only 38 people in hospital right now with covid. It's done, it's over, get back to your normal life ffs.
    This is the third time we've heard these "there are very few people in hospital, open up!" calls, and thank god by now most people who used to say this have copped on.

It's a race now between the vaccines and Covid, and we will need to see how things play out over the next few weeks before we can be confident about reopening. It won't kill us to slightly delay things if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

This is the third time we've been through this "there are very few people in hospital, open up!" nonsense, and thank god by now most people who used to say this have copped on.

It's a race now between the vaccines and Covid, and we will need to see how things play out over the next few weeks before we can be confident about reopening. It won't kill us to slightly delay things if needs be.

We hadn’t given out 3.7 million vaccines doses the previous times

• Advertisement

If there was nobody in hospital we'd still have people saying we need to be vigilant and to slow down reopening just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Which presenter was it? I’d put a bet it’s Boucher Hayes.

Cormac O' Somethingorother.

I've heard him a few times, he seems to be quite bad at being relentlessly adversarial to whoever he's talking to. But not even in an intelligent and perceptive way.

There was no value to a segment like that where it was attack, attack, attack with zero actual analysis.

The worst part of it is of course if the politician had said, yes, we will delay reopening, then he would have immediately flipped the conversation into one of why is government being so OTT etc, etc.

Then again, I shouldn't be so naive, the guest knows what he's in for and the presenter knows what the guest has been told to say, so it's all a bit of a pantomime at the end of the day.

We hadn’t given out 3.7 million vaccines doses the previous times
    Of course not, it's very different. But we do have a genuinely more dangerous variant which we know spreads faster, and which possibly is more likely to put people in hospital.

The current Australian contact tracing results for their small outbreak is pretty stunning. Genuine transmission with very little contact. If we had this variant a year ago we'd have been in awful trouble.

The situation is very different I acknowledge that, but we will still have to be careful. We're a goal ahead with 10 minutes to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So I can say anything on national Radio as long as I make sure nobody can prove me wrong?

I didn't quote you, and asking a question as a response is ridiculous.

Prime Time are doing the Delta variant tonight and the impact it could have on reopening. Would they ever just fook off. RTE are an absolute thundering disgrace. They're going to frighten many many people tonight with this nonsense.

This is the third time we've heard these "there are very few people in hospital, open up!" calls, and thank god by now most people who used to say this have copped on.

Yeah it's a race. The vaccine is Usain Bolt and the virus is me after 8 pints and a kebab. There's hardly anyone in hospital with this thing anymore for christ sake, the vaccine has won..

Of course not, it's very different. But we do have a genuinely more dangerous variant which we know spreads faster, and which possibly is more likely to put people in hospital.

The current Australian contact tracing results for their small outbreak is pretty stunning. Genuine transmission with very little contact. If we had this variant a year ago we'd have been in awful trouble.

The situation is very different I acknowledge that, but we will still have to be careful. We're a goal ahead with 10 minutes to go.

How is it "more dangerous"? Show some evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My god, Delta is rampant now…..

It's getting difficult to know who to fly with so as not to catch something???

Between Catarrh Airlines and now Delta Airlines, it's would put us off 'catching' a flight...

There is no evidence that its more likely to put more people in hospital.

The infection rate as a metric is defunct, hospital numbers is all we should be basing decisions on considering or vaccination numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Prime Time are doing the Delta variant tonight and the impact it could have on reopening. Would they ever just fook off. RTE are an absolute thundering disgrace. They're going to frighten many many people tonight with this nonsense.

I can't be the only person who has seen people, elderly in particular, frightened to to the point where the lives they are now leading are extremely anti social....

The people working in RTE are twisted...I hope we all remember that when the focus shifts onto the next global crisis!!!

• Advertisement

I didn't quote you, and asking a question as a response is ridiculous.

Yet you asking me to prove a negative is okay?

TefalBrain wrote: »
    How is it "more dangerous"? Show some evidence.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994761/18_June_2021_Risk_assessment_for_SARS-CoV-2_variant_DELTA.pdf
    Proven to be significantly more transmissible. Has risen to be over 90% of UK cases very quickly.

Possibly more likely to lead to hospitalisation.

Vaccines are still effective against it (but you're more likely to be symptomatic).

The government will have learned its lesson after last December. I expect they'll be looking at the data closely over the next few weeks, and we're also pushing out second vaccines doses on an accelerated schedule.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994761/18_June_2021_Risk_assessment_for_SARS-CoV-2_variant_DELTA.pdf

Proven to be significantly more transmissible. Has risen to be over 90% of UK cases very quickly.

Where does it say that it is "more dangerous" in that?

Again there no evidence of that so stop saying it or show proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

More dangerous and will likely put more in hospital. Where did you pull that info out of?

VinLieger wrote: »
    The infection rate as a metric is defunct, hospital numbers is all we should be basing decisions on considering or vaccination numbers.
    There is a time delay between when people get infected and might have to go to hospital.

Do we really have to have this conversation. Again? For the third time?

A virus which spreads 60% faster is automatically going to be "more dangerous" as it encounters unvaccinated populations.

There is a time delay between when people get infected and might have to go to hospital.

Do we really have to have this conversation. Again? For the third time?

We've had 300-500 daily average cases for nearly 4 months now yet hospitalisations are down significantly in that time. The link is significantly decoupled.

(Let me guess.....but but but Delta).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Something that is more transmissible isn't necessarily more dangerous at an individual level, but it is a population level, because it has the capacity to infect more people in a shorter space relative to other varients

That's what makes it more dangerous.

• Advertisement

A virus which spreads 60% faster is automatically going to be "more dangerous" as it encounters unvaccinated populations.

No it isn't automatic. Even the PHE document you linked to makes no such claim. You're just making it up.

Advertisement