Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

hmmm wrote: »
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994761/18_June_2021_Risk_assessment_for_SARS-CoV-2_variant_DELTA.pdf
    Proven to be significantly more transmissible. Has risen to be over 90% of UK cases very quickly.

Possibly more likely to lead to hospitalisation.

Vaccines are still effective against it (but you're more likely to be symptomatic).

The government will have learned its lesson after last December. I expect they'll be looking at the data closely over the next few weeks, and we're also pushing out second vaccines doses on an accelerated schedule.

There is a vast difference between more transmissible and more dangerous. Not sure how much can be learnt from December when nobody was vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There is a time delay between when people get infected and might have to go to hospital.

Do we really have to have this conversation. Again? For the third time?

Leave your condescension at the door it doesn't make you seem smarter, I'll ask you again to provide proof that delat leads to. More hospitalizations, since this is the third time I've done so and if you chose to ignore the request again I'll tak it as an admission that you know you are talking out of your arse but still chose to spread lies irregardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Arghus wrote: »
    Cormac O' Somethingorother.

I've heard him a few times, he seems to be quite bad at being relentlessly adversarial to whoever he's talking to. But not even in an intelligent and perceptive way.

There was no value to a segment like that where it was attack, attack, attack with zero actual analysis.

The worst part of it is of course if the politician had said, yes, we will delay reopening, then he would have immediately flipped the conversation into one of why is government being so OTT etc, etc.

Then again, I shouldn't be so naive, the guest knows what he's in for and the presenter knows what the guest has been told to say, so it's all a bit of a pantomime at the end of the day.

Well, it is the adversarial style that makes interviewers look tough but usually misses the point because too busy with pontificating his or her own view so that the interviewee switches off, often looking calmer than the interviewer.
    The right way to do it is to be well informed, making the interviewee come out of the cage and say something interesting if they feel listened to.
    Then the interviewer needs to dig in and present an alternative vision going into details uncomfortable for the interviewee. That creates a good and positive tension for the audience.
    However, most general interviewers follow some sort of script with a nr of questions they have to go through in a given time slot, not actually listening to the answers.
    If you are both adversarial and badly informed the classic example how not to do an interview was channel 4's Cathy Newman w Jordan Peterson.

A virus which spreads 60% faster is automatically going to be "more dangerous" as it encounters unvaccinated populations.

That's fallacious, for example if a hypothetical virus that has zero symptoms suddenly spreads 60% faster how is it suddenly more dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

VinLieger wrote: »
    Leave your condescension at the door it doesn't make you seem smarter, I'll ask you again to provide proof that delat leads to. More hospitalizations, since this is the third time I've done so and if you chose to ignore the request again I'll tak it as an admission that you know you are talking out of your arse but still chose to spread lies irregardless.
    I said it "possibly" leads to more hospitalisations.

That's exactly what the UK VoC risk assessment I posted above says. If you scroll back up you'll see the link.

We don't have enough data yet on hospitalisations to make a conclusion. We have enough data to say it spreads faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

On the 1st March the 7 day moving average of new cases was c.620 and has come down now to c.320. Meanwhile hospital numbers in that time have plummeted from 500 to 39. And yet we still have people shouting about cases and hiding under their beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

VinLieger wrote:
    Here's my statement, there is no evidence to backup his claim, if you disagree then it's up to you to prove me wrong and show me the evidence.
    What qualifications have you got?

eagle eye wrote: »
    What qualifications have you got?

I thought replying with a question was ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994761/18_June_2021_Risk_assessment_for_SARS-CoV-2_variant_DELTA.pdf
    Proven to be significantly more transmissible. Has risen to be over 90% of UK cases very quickly.

Possibly more likely to lead to hospitalisation.

Vaccines are still effective against it (but you're more likely to be symptomatic).

The government will have learned its lesson after last December. I expect they'll be looking at the data closely over the next few weeks, and we're also pushing out second vaccines doses on an accelerated schedule.

So you just put more dangerous in there for the hell of it.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I said it "possibly" leads to more hospitalisations.

That's exactly what the UK VoC risk assessment I posted above says. If you scroll back up you'll see the link.

We don't have enough data yet on hospitalisations to make a conclusion. We have enough data to say it spreads faster.

I could possibly date a model

I could possibly play for United

I could possibly win the lotto

Possibly

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote:
    I thought replying with a question was ridiculous?
    Not to a statement. You made a statement and I asked a question.
    I asked a question and was questioned on it.
    Unreal that I have to explain that.

Not to a statement. You made a statement and I asked a question.
    I asked a question and was questioned on it.
    Unreal that I have to explain that.

Unreal that I have to point out asking someone to prove a negative is absurd but here we are.

VinLieger wrote:
    Unreal that I have to point out asking someone to prove a negative is absurd but here we are.

The guy works in the relevant field and you with no qualifications are disagreeing with him.
    You have to back it up with hard facts or gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

The guy works in the relevant field and you with no qualifications are disagreeing with him.

He made the claim. The onus of proof is on him

Yes I'm saying there's no evidence to back up what he claimed, if you disagree show me the evidence that agrees with his claim that 1 in 10 young people who get covid will then also get long covid and I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

TheDoctor wrote:
    He made the claim. The onus of proof is on him
    No it's on the unqualified person to prove him wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Says who, you?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Okay, there's no evidence that 1 in 10 young people who get covid will get long covid.

Boom. Done.

Now again if you can find anything that proves this wrong I'll gladly concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

TefalBrain wrote: »
    I could possibly date a model

I could possibly play for United

I could possibly win the lotto

Possibly
    This is how things are in an uncertain world, we can't rely on simplistic certainties. Science works by collecting data (which takes time) and drawing conclusions from that data.

We have enough data to know the Delta variant spreads faster. We don't have enough data to prove whether it increases hospitalisations or not, but initial data suggests it might do ("Complementary analyses undertaken in England and Scotland found an increased risk of hospitalisation in cases who were S gene target positive (Scotland) or had sequence confirmed Delta variant infection (England)") https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994839/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing_16.pdf

Any sensible government is going to take a bit of time to consider the data before making a decision - and also it looks like we are rushing second vaccines for our most vulnerable population which also makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Arghus wrote: »
    Something that is more transmissible isn't necessarily more dangerous at an individual level, but it is a population level, because it has the capacity to infect more people in a shorter space relative to other varients

That's what makes it more dangerous.
    There is a vast difference between more transmissible and more dangerous. Not sure how much can be learnt from December when nobody was vaccinated.
    A virus which spreads 60% faster is automatically going to be "more dangerous" as it encounters unvaccinated populations.

It is actually very hard to pinpoint the exact trajectory. The data used to make the equation are variable and depend on the specific factors and a precise time frame. Other than that it is also not stable so predictions are almost impossible to make short or even medium term even though people claim to know these things. 'Dangerous' is such a loose word as to be useless.
    There simply is no definite answer.
    What you CAN say (and i often have) is that, over time pandemics peter out and might become endemic. The mechanism there is that virus variants, arriving through natural selection will become better at transmission w either higher loads and/or better entanglement. Coming with all that is a shorter incubation time, around 3-5 days with a higher initial impact with a lesser stage 2 cytokine storm and lesser lethal effect (deaths). So, that early transmission time of SarsCov2 of 10-12 days is reduced to something resembling influenza.
    But, as i stated in the beginning, the variables are flexible right now.
    As far as my opinion goes, you can dismiss any certainty someone is claiming to have and that includes health officials.
    What is left is the certainty of uncertainty. Modelling can but is often not sufficiently robust to make predictions but is a useful tool, especially in presentations to the public, though i am skeptical of its validity. It seems an easy hole to fall in.
    Right now the outlook is looking rather good. I dont see any significant reason why that would change, looking at the UK where the Delta variant seems to have peaked.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote:
    Yes I'm saying there's no evidence to back up what he claimed, if you disagree show me the evidence that agrees with his claim that 1 in 10 young people who get covid will then also get long covid and I'll gladly admit I was wrong.
    A person with qualifications made a statement, you, an unqualified person, says he's wrong.
    If an artist told me that oil based paint would be best for my canvas and you told me water based would be I'd take the word of the artist unless you could prove you were right.
    Similarly I'll take the word of the expert here over your belief unless you can prove him wrong.

I have a qualifications that is numbers based.

I say that 3 comes directly after 1.

I won’t provide proof of this but anyone without a qualification that is numbers based can’t question it

VinLieger wrote:
    Okay, there's no evidence that 1 in 10 young people who get covid will get long covid.
    Can you provide a link to prove that.

Can you provide a link to prove that.

No cus as I've said several times no there's no evidence to prove what he said is true so....

Do you still not understand why the concept of proving a negative is absurd?

VinLieger wrote:
    No cus as I've said several times no there's no evidence to prove what he said is true so....

Do you still not understand why the concept of proving a negative is absurd?
    Are you telling me you have no proof that he's wrong?
    No proof of actual numbers of the amount of young people who have statistically got long covid?
    How can you know he is wrong then?

TheDoctor wrote: »
    I have a qualifications that is numbers based.

I say that 3 comes directly after 1.

I won’t provide proof of this but anyone without a qualification that is numbers based can’t question it

Well I disagree and here's a link to prove it.
    https://www.math-only-math.com/order-of-numbers.html

Are you telling me you have no proof that he's wrong?
    No proof of actual numbers of the amount of young people who have statistically got long covid?
    How can you know he is wrong then?

Can’t prove he’s wrong because he never presented evidence to support his claim.

Well I disagree and here's a link to prove it.
    https://www.math-only-math.com/order-of-numbers.html

I don’t believe that is “evidence”. Sorry not good enough.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Can’t prove he’s wrong because he never presented evidence to support his claim.

He made a statement of fact that a doctor was wrong. I asked him to provide evidence.

• Advertisement

He made a statement of fact that a doctor was wrong. I asked him to provide evidence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-dubious-origins-of-long-covid-11616452583

Long covid is in people heads.

Advertisement