Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

eagle eye wrote: »
    I said could not should.

Thats right, you said a variant could attack domestic pets, cattle and sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

snotboogie wrote: »
    That's an appalling interview. An 80% effective vaccine does not mean that 1 in 5 people are not protected. An unbelievable statement from a medical professional.

And RTE have the nerve to put their nauseating ads on TV about "reporting the facts"

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

That's an appalling interview. An 80% effective vaccine does not mean that 1 in 5 people are not protected. An unbelievable statement from a medical professional.

They are just flat out plain telling fibs now, anything to keep the show on the road.

Hilarious when they talk about others spreading fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

How many soccer players have had covid by now? How many couldnt return to playing for months due to long covid? Hundreds and zero. Long covid my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Klonker wrote: »
    How many soccer players have had covid by now? How many couldnt return to playing for months due to long covid? Hundreds and zero. Long covid my hole.

Few players really struggled with it . Thats a pretty poor statement to make.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/ive-seen-the-effect-now-it-has-on-extremely-fit-young-professional-footballers-bruce-long-covid-fears-39877987.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

wadacrack wrote: »

Bruce always gets his excuses in early. It's also quite telling that you didn't find an article from this year.

Ah stop. Those 2 he's referring to just had symptoms unlike the majority of the rest of players. If you're sick, not training, probably hardly moving at all, not eating well, losing fluids, it's going to take you a week or 2 recover. I'm that way when I return to sport after flu or even a particularly hard weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Let's ask nicely and coronavirus may answer back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats right, you said a variant could attack domestic pets, cattle and sheep.
    Yes, and one could. We still don't know enough about this virus to know how it will mutate over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ah stop. Those 2 he's referring to just had symptoms unlike the majority of the rest of players. If you're sick, not training, probably hardly moving at all, not eating well, losing fluids, it's going to take you a week or 2 recover. I'm that way when I return to sport after flu or even a particularly hard weekend :D

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1101969/hwang-south-korea-football-covid-19

Seems less prevalent on professional athletes, but I wouldn't discount it on other people especially those who are overweight.

• Advertisement

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I’ve seen a few posts on here the last day or two referring to being close to the “finish line”. What is the finish line most people are referring to, or is that a matter of dispute too? A certain % vaccinated for herd immunity? The end of the current adult roll vaccine rollout? When the kids are vaccinated? Or (god forbid) when we have second generation vaccines rolling out for everyone for the variants? Maybe the last year has taken its toll on me but I just can’t believe we’re opening up and won’t go backwards in restrictions again soon

I think people mean the finish line to be a point when Covid ceases to make a huge impact. It's no longer headline news, NPHET are disbanded, requirements such as mask wearing aren't mandatory. Some differ as to what it will take to get us there. For me it's more than just the vaccine roll out and herd immunity (not guaranteed) but in how the Gov communicates to us.

All along my experience of the pandemic has been impacted by the manner in which facts have been communicated rather than the facts themselves. That's probably down to my own tendency for feelings to override logic.
    Perhaps you have been affected in a similar way?

It makes sense to me that you feel restrictions will return given the cloud of fear that has encompassed us all. It is on the radio, lit up road signs, markers in shops, even our vocabulary. There has been little to no thought given to how certain words in certain mouths can cause anxiety.

From day one there has been no balance. Even optimism was tinged with concern. It's obvious here. One or two posters never thank a positive post and will counter them with something negative. I don't want us to bury our heads and only accept good news. Instead just let the good in a little bit more.

I've said before that it was never Covid that worried me but our Government and NPHET. That remains the case. I worry about them not letting us live alongside the virus if (when) it unleashes its next trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think people mean the finish line to be a point when Covid ceases to make a huge impact. It's no longer headline news, NPHET are disbanded, requirements such as mask wearing aren't mandatory. Some differ as to what it will take to get us there. For me it's more than just the vaccine roll out and herd immunity (not guaranteed) but in how the Gov communicates to us.

All along my experience of the pandemic has been impacted by the manner in which facts have been communicated rather than the facts themselves. That's probably down to my own tendency for feelings to override logic.
    Perhaps you have been affected in a similar way?

It makes sense to me that you feel restrictions will return given the cloud of fear that has encompassed us all. It is on the radio, lit up road signs, markers in shops, even our vocabulary. There has been little to no thought given to how certain words in certain mouths can cause anxiety.

From day one there has been no balance. Even optimism was tinged with concern. It's obvious here. One or two posters never thank a positive post and will counter them with something negative. I don't want us to bury our heads and only accept good news. Instead just let the good in a little bit more.

I've said before that it was never Covid that worried me but our Government and NPHET. That remains the case. I worry about them not letting us live alongside the virus if (when) it unleashes its next trick.

Yep more worried about the response than the virus itself

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1101969/hwang-south-korea-football-covid-19

Seems less prevalent on professional athletes, but I wouldn't discount it on other people especially those who are overweight.

He had symptoms for a week, that's all that said. Doesn't say anything about long covid. Professional athletes need to be at 100% physically to do their jobs unlike the majority of the rest of us so if any were feeling even slight effects of covid or long covid they couldn't perform. Athletes are in general have weaker immune systems than the general public as their bodies are pushed to the max regularly so you'd actually expect more long covid in athletes not less.

Unhealthy overweight people feeling fatigued, shocker :pac:

Look, I'm not doubting that some of the people that end up in hospital will feel the effects for a while but 1 in 10 or anywhere close? Sure nearly half of cases don't have more symptoms than a tickely cough or a runny nose if even that.

Again, a 2020 article claiming a player would be out for the season, he was out for a month and is being linked with alot of Premier league clubs, long covid far more prevalent last year for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

hmmm wrote: »
    This is how things are in an uncertain world, we can't rely on simplistic certainties. Science works by collecting data (which takes time) and drawing conclusions from that data.

We have enough data to know the Delta variant spreads faster. We don't have enough data to prove whether it increases hospitalisations or not, but initial data suggests it might do ("Complementary analyses undertaken in England and Scotland found an increased risk of hospitalisation in cases who were S gene target positive (Scotland) or had sequence confirmed Delta variant infection (England)") https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994839/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing_16.pdf

Any sensible government is going to take a bit of time to consider the data before making a decision - and also it looks like we are rushing second vaccines for our most vulnerable population which also makes sense.

Well, that's not entirely true. Science draws conclusions from data that must be repeatable and falsifiable. The last 2 being the key components to prevent misleading correlation=/=causation findings.

To date, very little of the COVID response stands up to any scientific scrutiny. Sure, you can say there is a correlation between locking down and cases but there is nothing to suggest it's a scientific fact.

Same with the different variants. The UK one was supposed to be 60/80% more transmissible the previous one but that turned out to just not be true.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Well, that's not entirely true. Science draws conclusions from data that must be repeatable and falsifiable. The last 2 being the key components to prevent misleading correlation=/=causation findings.

To date, very little of the COVID response stands up to any scientific scrutiny. Sure, you can say there is a correlation between locking down and cases but there is nothing to suggest it's a scientific fact.

Same with the different variants. The UK one was supposed to be 60/80% more transmissible the previous one but that turned out to just not be true.

Surely, given all the examples, there would be at least one case where lockdown was ineffective if only correlation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Again, a 2020 article claiming a player would be out for the season, he was out for a month and is being linked with alot of Premier league clubs, long covid far more prevalent last year for some reason.

The Ufc fighter Khamzat Chimiav is probably the best example of a pro athlete with long covid. Caught it in December 2020 and still isn't fully recovered. There has been a good few issues with NBA players too, Jayson Tatum, a top 10 player, had lingering effects for months but is back to 100% now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Couldn’t agree more

I believe we have the highest numbers of vaccine uptakes across the world(despite countless posters here referring to the Irish as lawless drunks)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/state-s-uptake-of-coronavirus-vaccines-to-be-among-highest-worldwide-says-holohan-1.4589663%3fmode=amp
    Ireland is on track to have one of the highest uptakes in the world for Covid-19 vaccines, according to State chief medical officer Tony Holohan.
    Remarkable levels of compliance’

“It’s easy to forget that we have had remarkable levels of compliance from the outset . . . only through such high compliance have we managed to suppress infections.”

Despite that, we are still the most suppressed and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to stop anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Not the only one to think ISAG basically had a coordinated stream of bull**** let loose on us today facilitated by our media! Nobody to provide balance except for Ciara Kelly on NT!

https://twitter.com/conormo04590827/status/1407400251913297926?s=21

The Ufc fighter Khamzat Chimiav is probably the best example of a pro athlete with long covid. Caught it in December 2020 and still isn't fully recovered. There has been a good few issues with NBA players too, Jayson Tatum, a top 10 player, had lingering effects for months but is back to 100% now.

It can and has taken people months to recover from ordinary flu, we don't lockdown the country for that though, obviously there are outliers but the majority of long covid is psychological, the media have contributed more long covid cases than covid ever could.

• Advertisement

Some encouraging front pages. Personal responsibility seems to be the way England will go!

https://www.broadsheet.ie/

Surely, given all the examples, there would be at least one case where lockdown was ineffective if only correlation?

The problem is that lockdown means different things to different people. Even last winter we were still under quite severe restrictions yet cases exploded. Others think anything less than Chinese levels of welding people I to their apartment blocks isn't a real lockdown.

Maybe we'll get the data that is repeatable and falsifiable showing lockdowns (with a defined standard) actually work and it's not just people naturally responding to increased levels of risk and limiting contacts on their own.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Some encouraging front pages. Personal responsibility seems to be the way England will go!

https://www.broadsheet.ie/

Don't worry, that will be ignored by the media here tomorrow.

Anyone ever find out what happened to that California variant that George Lee and Claire Byrne were salivating over?

Don't worry, that will be ignored by the media here tomorrow.

Anyone ever find out what happened to that California variant that George Lee and Claire Byrne were salivating over?

Wait and look at this! Independent SAGE now commenting on our doubling of delta in a week! They’re all joining the party!!

https://twitter.com/roisiningle/status/1407278813516554240?s=21

Looks like IASG had a coordinated media campaign today. Had scally on news talk this morning, Ryan again on NT at lunch and you had Claire ‘the Covid’ Byrne have favier and the most disingenuous gowl Aoife McLysaght on today!

https://twitter.com/paultreyvaud/status/1407406260379652099?s=21

Had to laugh at the rest of the interview. ‘Young people not notice it’s Covid. They may experience symptoms such as runny noses, headaches, and sore throats. The type of thing a young person might put down to being a cold’. So a cold then?

Wait and look at this! Independent SAGE now commenting on our doubling of delta in a week! They’re all joining the party!!

https://twitter.com/roisiningle/status/1407278813516554240?s=21

MM has an incredible skill of using a lot of words while at the same time saying absolutely nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Had to laugh at the rest of the interview. ‘Young people not notice it’s Covid. They may experience symptoms such as runny noses, headaches, and sore throats. The type of thing a young person might put down to being a cold’. So a cold then?

Yer wan says that young hospitality staff could get infected, and pass it on. Which isnt wrong.
    if Ireland was to stop being so stubborn on vaccinating solely by age and do some vaccination by strategically targeting contagion risk groups, hospitality, teachers, meat plant workers etc like they do in other countries then it wouldnt be half as exposed to the potential next wave in the <40s.

When the dust settles it wouldnt be any surprise to find out that the strict vaccination by age used by the UK and Ireland is causing them to be more suseptiable to a summer covid wave than other European countries with a broader rollout strategy

btw, the rollout strategy in the likes of Germany is far from perfect, or fair.
    For <60s who arent a teacher/ policeman/ in retail or can claim to be the prime carer for their granny, its very like the scramble for All Ireland tickets, trying the obvious local source (your local GP) then if that fails spread out your net and keep digging and asking further afield for a spare till eventually you source the golden ticket/ covid jab !

The randomness though means theres a net of vaccinated people through the age brackets acting as infection circuit breakers, something that isnt in the UK or Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It does seem like Delta is more transmissible but also less harmful to younger people than previous variants... is this not ideal?

Build some natural herd immunity among the 20 somethings?

mloc123 wrote: »
    It does seem like Delta is more transmissible but also less harmful to younger people than previous variants... is this not ideal?

Build some natural herd immunity among the 20 somethings?

Not sure. I know someone here was claiming, without evidence, that it was more dangerous. But we’ve got public health in England asking people to look out for cold and hay fever symptoms as Covid symptoms. Which brings us back to the old obsession with cases.

What’s the issue if young people are catching Covid in the form of colds? Surely not enough to be delaying reopening? The uk seem to look like they’re pushing ahead on the 19th and leaving it up to personal responsibility. While we keep seeing “cases” and screaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Not sure. I know someone here was claiming, without evidence, that it was more dangerous. But we’ve got public health in England asking people to look out for cold and hay fever symptoms as Covid symptoms. Which brings us back to the old obsession with cases.

What’s the issue if young people are catching Covid in the form of colds? Surely not enough to be delaying reopening? The uk seem to look like they’re pushing ahead on the 19th and leaving it up to personal responsibility. While we keep seeing “cases” and screaming.

I could be mistaken but did this not happen last year around hay fever season too? Is it possible these additional symptoms are actually just people who have hay fever and COVID?

Advertisement