Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

So youre right, and if anything travel should be banned from Ireland to keep the Covid in Ireland and avoid polluting the continent with it !

Ah yes the continent wouldn't want our ridiculously high hospital covid numbers.. Oh wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Work colleague had covid last month. She had a sore throat and sniffles for 3 days and that was that. Her whole family had to get tested and two people she works closely with and out of the 7 of them 4 where positive with zero symptoms. Honestly i'd say there is literally hundreds of thousands who've had it and knew no better tbh.

Despite what we are been told and the scare tactics from certain special interest groupings with the vulnerable now vaccinated this really isn't that big an issue.

Where have you been for the last 17 months?

Well documented at this stage that some people have little or no symptoms and that it is serious/deadly for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Mimon wrote: »

Well documented at this stage that some people have little or no symptoms and that it is serious/deadly for others?

Those others are now vaccinated. Yes a small proportion may still get ill and die, but that’s the way with any virus. Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

hmmm wrote: »

Either way we're in a good place. If we have to delay reopening some of the areas where the risk of spread is greater (indoors) for a few weeks it's not the end of the world. I'm expecting pretty much normality after this.

To you it's not the end of the world. To me it very likely is. My work revolves around weddings. I've basically been out of work since March last year. I've already missed 2 of the peak months of this year (May and June). If the re-opening is delayed and the numbers don't go up to the anticipated 50 guests, not only will I lose most of my July weddings but also couples getting married later in the year are likely to start fearing things won't improve and push out to 2022 (or beyond).

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

The ones that it's serious for are vaccinated. That was the whole reason for the lockdowns which i was fully supportive of. It's time to let go now and move on which i'm afraid many just can't including NPHET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Multipass wrote: »
    Those others are now vaccinated. Yes a small proportion may still get ill and die, but that’s the way with any virus. Time to move on.

Agree with the moving on part with caution. Delta won't make a huge difference I think but better to wait for a few more weeks and see how things pan out in countries with more of a prevalence of that variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Agree with the moving on part with caution. Delta won't make a huge difference I think but better to wait for a few more weeks and see how things pan out in countries with more of a prevalence of that variant.

And then when the Delta plus arrives, best to wait a few weeks then? Then the outer Mongolian variant? Best to wait a few weeks again.

I only have so many fecking weeks on this planet. I don't want to spend them waiting, I want to spend them living.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

To you it's not the end of the world. To me it very likely is. My work revolves around weddings. I've basically been out of work since March last year. I've already missed 2 of the peak months of this year (May and June). If the re-opening is delayed and the numbers don't go up to the anticipated 50 guests, not only will I lose most of my July weddings but also couples getting married later in the year are likely to start fearing things won't improve and push out to 2022 (or beyond).

I thought capacities changed on 10th May, was at a funeral on Saturday with about 49 others, is that not the same for weddings, I thought they could have up to 50 guests since May 10th.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I thought capacities changed on 10th May, was at a funeral on Saturday with about 49 others, is that not the same for weddings, I thought they could have up to 50 guests since May 10th.

They can have 50 at ceremonies but only 25 at receptions. Supposed to go up to 50 at receptions on 5th July.

That's shocking. Thats the other side of the coin. There are thousands of people going under due to this madness and its the people who never lost a days pay who are making all the decisions.

I haven't lost a days work over this but by God I know plenty who have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I think that is too much for them....they don't have the capacity to understand that if every country had done nothing, no restrictions, we still would have had one of the lowest Covid related death rates....

Our vulnerable died in the uk and U.S.A.
    The huge proportion of older Irish people living in England is a function of the massive emigration to England in the 1950s and 1960s. In the 1950s, half a million people left for England and in the 1960s another 300,000 followed them

Ironically emigration will yet again become a huge part of Irish society due to the prolonged destruction of the economy from multiple lengthy lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Feel free to stay inside and wait. Meanwhile my 80 year old Mum is boarding a flight to the UK about now, because there isn’t time to keep waiting to see family.

Multipass wrote: »
    Feel free to stay inside and wait. Meanwhile my 80 year old Mum is boarding a flight to the UK about now, because there isn’t time to keep waiting to see family.

And right she is. At what point does personal responsibility come into it. We are a nanny state here. Parochial attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

2,400 supporters will be allowed to attend Limerick v Cork next weekend in the Munster hurling championship in Thurles that's basically 5% of the capacity. What will really be learnt from that test event by allowing so few attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I feel your pain. We are scheduled to get married late July. This is our third rescheduled date. All this talk of further delays has us up the walls. It's gone far beyond taking the p!ss at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

2,400 supporters will be allowed to attend Limerick v Cork next weekend in the Munster hurling championship in Thurles that's basically 5% of the capacity. What will really be learnt from that test event by allowing so few attend?

Sweet **** all but it'll be a nice fluff piece for the Six One News

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them reduce it or cancel it now the way their going on about variants...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Nothing, as championship starter upwards of 10,000 should be allowed to attend and as we enter July we should be looking at the Denmark model which started with lower numbers and now have 75% capacity in stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

Scotland reports highest ever case numbers yet during the pandemic

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1407704504275963904

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Scotland reports highest ever case numbers yet during the pandemic

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1407704504275963904

Good to see the vaccines are working for those who need it and the deaths are low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Good to see the vaccines are working for those who need it and the deaths are low.
    Yes and keeping hospital numbers low. Scotland numbers as follows.

Screenshot-20210623-160956-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Unfortunately numbers with Delta variant now pushing the rise in Scotland but hopefully not translating into very serious illness requiring ICU and / or deaths .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/2021/delta-variant-increases-risk-of-hospitalisation&ved=2ahUKEwjppdy57K3xAhVaQkEAHa9lAr4QFnoECCIQAg&usg=AOvVaw0Iv4gPaG40c1CkT1Yvv4yj

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I am assuming that the general consensus is that we will have a sharp spike in case numbers over the next month due to the Delta variant, but that spike will not result in many hospitalisations?

I mean, Delta is 20% of cases at the moment. Give it another 3 weeks and it will probably be 80% of cases. So if we open up as planned, the Delta variant will circulate like mad in the 20-40 unvaccinated age group, and will have a limited circulation in the 40-59 age group as the majority of them have had only one jab.

Is there really a fear that our hospitals will be overrun by hospitalisations from the 20-40 age group? Does anyone have stats for how many of that age group who contracted covid were hospitalised in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The UK has reported 16,135 new cases

Last Wednesday. The UK reported 9,055 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Merkel wants the whole of the EU to quarantine UK arrivals:

Angela Merkel says all EU states should quarantine UK arrivals

German chancellor Angela Merkel has said she would like other European countries to follow Germany's lead and require people entering them from countries where there are high levels of the Delta variant, like the UK, to go into quarantine.

“In our country, if you come from Great Britain, you have to go into quarantine - and that’s not the case in every European country, and that’s what I would like to see,” Merkel said.

Cancel all flights between Ireland and UK weeks ago would have been smart. Yes can still travel through the north but that added hindrance would stop plenty from travelling as they just wouldn't be bothered with the extra hassle. It would buy extra time anyway to double vax the 60 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tyrone212 wrote: »

German chancellor Angela Merkel has said she would like other European countries to follow Germany's lead and require people entering them from countries where there are high levels of the Delta variant, like the UK, to go into quarantine.

“In our country, if you come from Great Britain, you have to go into quarantine - and that’s not the case in every European country, and that’s what I would like to see,” Merkel said.

Cancel all flights between Ireland and UK weeks ago would have been smart. Yes can still travel through the north but that added hindrance would stop plenty from travelling as they just wouldn't be bothered with the extra hassle. It would buy extra time anyway to double vax the 60 year olds.

The only reason we are going to be extending restrictions is because Martin didnt have the balls to close off travel from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

VinLieger wrote: »
    The only reason we are going to be extending restrictions is because Martin didnt have the balls to close off travel from the UK.

Do You relaise how many people cross the border to NI every day. Should that have been closed to.??

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

The UK has reported 16,135 new cases

Last Wednesday. The UK reported 9,055 cases

Admissions to hospital are up but the numbers in hospital are not climbing proportionally so the length of time spent in hospital must be very short?

cv-uk5.jpg

cv-uk6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Unless the North close down flights from the UK mainland that just doesn't work. Of course there may be some who fly from UK mainland to Belfast for onward journey to the Republic, but those people are not really the worry. It's the masses of people who travel from the UK mainland and Northern Ireland who never set foot in the South. All they have to do is infect Patient B in Newry and Patient B to infect Patient C in Dundalk.

That secondary transmission is really the issue. With the thousands upon thousands travelling over and back on the border on a daily basis, and with 40 flights from the UK landing in Belfast and Derry every day, that's where Delta gets into the country.

I'm not saying that banning flights from the UK to the Republic wouldn't have an effect, just that it would absolutely be a drop in the ocean in terms of real travel, and wouldn't make any fundamental difference in the Delta variant numbers.

Advertisement