Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

poppers wrote: »
    Do You relaise how many people cross the border to NI every day. Should that have been closed to.??

Ahh yes so we shouldn't even try....

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Merkel wants the whole of the EU to quarantine UK arrivals:

Angela Merkel says all EU states should quarantine UK arrivals

German chancellor Angela Merkel has said she would like other European countries to follow Germany's lead and require people entering them from countries where there are high levels of the Delta variant, like the UK, to go into quarantine.

“In our country, if you come from Great Britain, you have to go into quarantine - and that’s not the case in every European country, and that’s what I would like to see,” Merkel said.

Cancel all flights between Ireland and UK weeks ago would have been smart. Yes can still travel through the north but that added hindrance would stop plenty from travelling as they just wouldn't be bothered with the extra hassle. It would buy extra time anyway to double vax the 60 year olds.

I am pretty sure that when she says "quarantine" she actually means "self isolation"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The mood all over the fourm today is bad and who can blame us

Negativity everywhere and very worrying developments about us postponing our reopening in July and now we learned that vaccine supply will tank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

JDD wrote: »
    I am assuming that the general consensus is that we will have a sharp spike in case numbers over the next month due to the Delta variant, but that spike will not result in many hospitalisations?

I mean, Delta is 20% of cases at the moment. Give it another 3 weeks and it will probably be 80% of cases. So if we open up as planned, the Delta variant will circulate like mad in the 20-40 unvaccinated age group, and will have a limited circulation in the 40-59 age group as the majority of them have had only one jab.

Is there really a fear that our hospitals will be overrun by hospitalisations from the 20-40 age group? Does anyone have stats for how many of that age group who contracted covid were hospitalised in the past?

Don't have the numbers without trawling back through epidemiology reports on gov.ie .
    But do know that under 65s made up around 50% cases, mostly 40 to 65s .
    Now with the 40 to 65s partially vaccinated with one dose at least and if they can get the second doses into them asap, that would seriously reduce severe illness , and in theory those infected in the younger age groups should not suffer too badly.
    However as mother of said young people and a nurse ,I would be loathe to say that it would be alright to allow this new variant to infect the younger age groups .
    Nobody knows what effects they will suffer yet nor who among them has compromised immune status or health conditions undiagnosed as yet .
    I would not want my kids taking that risk even if they are determined to take it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Cork2021 wrote: »

That's not bad at all. Our 7 day average is holding steady, even with the delta impact. I think they will go ahead with the July 5th reopening if they don't see a big rise in cases next week. But (and this is very possible with Delta), if cases are up 20%+ next week, we may have to hold off for a couple of weeks.

I think that would be the right decision but I will be really annoyed by it because we are at least 2 weeks behind where we could be on vaccine rollout (compared to other EU countries like Germany, Belgium etc). So, it will be a delay caused entirely by the HSE's inability to scale up the vaccine rollout quickly enough.

Some good news, we need to keep watching this.

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1407736985393971210?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This proves the link between cases and severe illness has been broken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Were we not told ages ago that this illness would eventually become another source of the common cold? Vaccines have accelerated this it seems, with the vulnerable well protected.

Case numbers are borderline irrelevant now. Hospital admissions need to be watched and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think that would be the right decision but I will be really annoyed by it because we are at least 2 weeks behind where we could be on vaccine rollout (compared to other EU countries like Germany, Belgium etc). So, it will be a delay caused entirely by the HSE's inability to scale up the vaccine rollout quickly enough.
    Some countries like Germany, France and Denmark (I'm unsure about Belgium) purchased additional Pfizer and moderna doses that other countries didn't take up. As moderna supply is increasing, you're going to see differences between rollouts. Ireland also didn't opt into the 2 batch of moderna, which I believe is being brought forward from Q3 or Q4. All of which is **** all to do with the HSE.

As we don't have updated vaccine delivery numbers, it's impossible to know what we have given out and what's in stock/been delivered. There's also the issue of 2 big weeks of Pfizer followed by a reduction, so the HSE has to think ahead. You don't want to be giving people a first dose knowing there will not be enough supply for their second dose. I think with Delta, extending the dose and getting twice as many with a first jab is less beneficial than half the number fully vaxxed etc...

• Advertisement

It's a single day, a bit like Ireland where we see a reduction with discharges been minimal over the weekend.
    They have seen about 5 separate days of a reduction in hospital figures so far this month. They started the month at 776, it's now at 1255, despite 5 days were hospital figures reduced over night. I wouldn't be dismissing a reduction as a good thing, but a trend it is not..... Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Nessa needs to CHILLders

Sorry, I’ll get my mask…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

nocoverart wrote: »
    Nessa needs to CHILLders

Sorry, I’ll get my mask…

Get 2

nocoverart wrote: »
    Nessa needs to CHILLders

Sorry, I’ll get my mask…

Just a single mask? TutTut!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

poppers wrote: »
    Do You relaise how many people cross the border to NI every day. Should that have been closed to.??

Travel to and fro across it should really IMO have been restricted at a few points earlier in the pandemic (the start in March, or failing that at the emergence of UK variant).

It is a sacred cow that cannot be touched, so in effect extra people in Ireland had to die to keep it open for the whole year.
    It actually disturbs me a bit given our Brexit situation because I don't know any more how high a price the Irish government would be willing to pay to keep that border open + without controls on it.

Thankfully vaccination programme should mean health/lives costs of keeping it open to speed up the establishment of this 3rd [for us] (Delta) variant will not be too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Some countries like Germany, France and Denmark (I'm unsure about Belgium) purchased additional Pfizer and moderna doses that other countries didn't take up. As moderna supply is increasing, you're going to see differences between rollouts. Ireland also didn't opt into the 2 batch of moderna, which I believe is being brought forward from Q3 or Q4. All of which is **** all to do with the HSE.

We will have received 5.3 million doses by end of July, and we will have administered 4 million of them. We could definitely go faster. I look at Belgium data regularly (easily accessible) and they have managed days where they have vaccinated the equivalent of 100,000 people here. They have exactly the same supplies as us, per capita. At best, we've done a mediocre job on the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

JDD wrote: »
    Unless the North close down flights from the UK mainland that just doesn't work. Of course there may be some who fly from UK mainland to Belfast for onward journey to the Republic, but those people are not really the worry. It's the masses of people who travel from the UK mainland and Northern Ireland who never set foot in the South. All they have to do is infect Patient B in Newry and Patient B to infect Patient C in Dundalk.

Thats still a deterrent as you need PCR test irrespective of from where you are travelling. My family postponed the plans to visit here considering PCR test will still be required even if you travel through Belfast. It's been over a year now.
    Travel to Ireland is subject to entry restrictions

From 16 June, all passengers travelling from Great Britain must quarantine at home for 14 days. The period of home quarantine can be shortened following a negative PCR test after 5 days for fully vaccinated passengers, and after 10 days (following a negative PCR test) for unvaccinated or partially vaccinated passengers
    There is a legal requirement for all travellers to quarantine on arrival for 14 days, with limited exceptions.
    All passengers must complete a 14-day mandatory hotel quarantine if you have travelled from any country deemed high risk by the Irish government. This also includes travelling through an airport or port in a high risk country and for those arriving without the required negative/not detected PCR test.
    Travellers whose journey originates in Northern Ireland are outside the scope of quarantine schemes, unless they have been overseas during the 14 days prior to their arrival in Ireland.
    All passengers arriving at Irish ports and airports are required to have evidence of a negative/ ‘not detected’ test from a pre-departure Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) COVID-19 test taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Ireland. Antigen or other test types do not meet the requirement.
    People arriving in Ireland without evidence of a negative/‘not-detected’ test result will be committing an offence and may be subject to prosecution, punishable by a fine not exceeding €2,500, imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or both. They will also be required to undertake mandatory hotel quarantine. Passengers whose journey originates in Northern Ireland are not in scope of this announcement but any such travel is subject to the public health restrictions in place in Northern Ireland and Ireland respectively.
    All passengers arriving in Ireland must complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form. If you don’t fill out this form you may be fined up to €2,500 or receive a prison sentence of up to 6 months.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ireland/entry-requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ballynally wrote: »
    I DO have some words: it is always 'the next few weeks are crucial" and the n some, and a little longer, maybe after the summer, but then we need to be alert with back to school and more people indoors means.. etc. Do you see where i am going w this?

NO I DON'T SEE.
    And the reason i don't see is because i'm 100% sure you are talking through your a##e.
    Sad to see people hanging on the words of a complete clown like Eamon Ryan.
    And to think that many of the people who voted for him actually snigger and ridicule the Healy-Raes.!!
    Are you watching the Euros (soccer) by any chance? The full houses at games in Europe are actually real people, not cardboard cut-outs.

Anyway, welcome to boars.ie.
    What were you an expert on before May 2021.?

I posted a link from Twitter on Monday that stated limeric was doing well…. Now delta on the increase

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1407750816551866372?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

washman3 wrote: »

Anyway, welcome to boars.ie.

Sounds about right :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There is going to be more cases when we reopen too. That’s a fact and the B.1.617.2 variant will make that kore so.

There won’t be a proportional increase in hospitalisations, ICU admissions or deaths due to the vaccine.

The obsession with “cases” by ISAG and all these other ***** is a major issue in the media. If we have 300 twenty somethings testing positive, half of them asymptomatic and the other half with a headcold there is no justification for these restrictions. None whatsoever.

Most of them would be more sick after a night of pints.

We will have received 5.3 million doses by end of July, and we will have administered 4 million of them. We could definitely go faster. I look at Belgium data regularly (easily accessible) and they have managed days where they have vaccinated the equivalent of 100,000 people here. They have exactly the same supplies as us, per capita. At best, we've done a mediocre job on the rollout.

If you're going by Belgium vaccine delivery schedules and compare it to our confirmed ones (last updated in may) you will see pro rata, our AZ figures lined up, but Pfizer and moderna haven't. I assume that's where you are getting the 5.3mil doses received by the end of June? Taking Belgium's figures at taking ~45% of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

marno21 wrote: »
    There is going to be more cases when we reopen too. That’s a fact and the B.1.617.2 variant will make that kore so.

There won’t be a proportional increase in hospitalisations, ICU admissions or deaths due to the vaccine.

The obsession with “cases” by ISAG and all these other ***** is a major issue in the media. If we have 300 twenty somethings testing positive, half of them asymptomatic and the other half with a headcold there is no justification for these restrictions. None whatsoever.

Most of them would be more sick after a night of pints.

But sadly its NPHET who wont take the risk and will fear the hospital's will be overrun by that age

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I posted a link from Twitter on Monday that stated limeric was doing well…. Now delta on the increase

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1407750816551866372?s=21

It's not of just delta. It's cases in general he's referring to in those counties, look at the rate per 100k. Those counties were referred to the other day when incidence was mentioned.

Hes not specifically referring to delta in those counties. Yes Limerick is high per 100k but its stable if not continuing to reduce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    But sadly its NPHET who wont take the risk and will fear the hospital's will be overrun by that age

You keep saying this so much I'm starting to think you want it to be true.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭prunudo

If thats reflective of how our elected representatives view risk its no wonder we've had more strict restrictions than most other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Renjit wrote: »
    Sounds about right :pac:

Funny. He actually took my post seriously while i was being ironic which was, i thought at least, pretty obvious. I did let that one slide like w some others who are clearly looking for a brawl.
    Staying out of the sandpit is a good policy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The time is drawing close to take to the streets and demand our lives back. Sick to the teeth of NPHET and ISAG being given free reign by our media and Government.
    RTÉ and others need the broadcasting authority of Ireland to do their job. The airwaves, online papers and other platforms are full of mis-information this week re the actual threat posed by the Delta variant.
    It’s also conveniently ignoring the fact all vulnerable are now vaccinated bar some 60+ who are awaiting their 2nd Astra Zeneca.

The ‘data’ is spurious to date. U.K. were delaying their Pfizer and Moderna dose gaps to 12 weeks which was against company guidelines, Ireland never did this. Also their AstraZeneca is spaced to 12 weeks at least. Not to mention of the 40 or so fully vaccinated hospitalised in the U.K. with the Delta variant - what were their other co-morbidities. This is 40 people out of a population of nearly 60 million.

ISAG are full of lies - they tried to infiltrate teacher groups and prevent schools from reopening as late as March, and put masks on the faces of 5 year olds.
    They also tried to stop shops and hairdressers reopening & claimed the Irish public would not support our local businesses reopening. I am now demanding an investigation as to why this particular group are given airtime on our airwaves? Why are presenters like Claire Byrne and others who are openly not impartial not pulled up on their spreading of misinformation.

Why are people claiming Philip Nolan’s modelling is accurate? This all stinks of agenda driven propaganda and at this stage with hardly any covid patients in hospital, I’m beginning to wonder when the Irish people are going to stand up and stop NPHET, ISAG and our Government from destroying our businesses, society and future.
    NPHET were pathetic in their opposition to antigen testing. I just think this is too coordinated between themselves and ISAG re the media onslaught. Just like with Cathal Nolan of NPHET openly shared Julien Merceiles of ISAG anti travel article calling people who travel ‘barbarians’ (Geography teacher, no qualification to dictate covid public health policy).

When are people going to say enough?
    Why are the Government selling Bank of Ireland shares? They’re running out of cash fast and still keep hitting the self destruct button. We the voters have to stop to this farce.

Advertisement