Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Staines is an absolute ass of a man! Taken to the cleaners in this thread on Twitter

https://twitter.com/recovairie/status/1407464691513823235?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

People will just book foreign holidays from July 19 if we don’t open.
    Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Staines is an absolute ass of a man! Taken to the cleaners in this thread on Twitter

Everyone involved in ISAG is in a well paid public sector job. They have absolutely zero empathy for people who've lost their jobs or are unable to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Wow

A statistic that sums up the Irish health service, response to covid and overall diabolical work ethic that’s rife within those insulated jobs

As opposed to the work ethic of...you for example?

Those in health have worked their butts off over the last 17months and still trying to catch up and you come out with nasty cheap nonsense like that !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Goldengirl wrote: »

Those in health have worked their butts off over the last 17months and still trying to catch up and you come out with nasty cheap nonsense like that !
    I find it interesting that the health system and those who run it, having been criticised for the last 20 years for the shambles they've created, are now beyond reproach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭accensi0n

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Who has Fergud o'Dowd been talking to?

"However, Louth TD Fergus O’Dowd said it would be “cautious and prudent” to wait until more people are vaccinated before reopening further, and said people he had been talking to were happy to wait another two or three weeks if necessary."

Sure that's grand, there's been more people vaccinated since the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

He's talking about the bureaucrats not the front liners.

AdamD wrote: »
    I find it interesting that the health system and those who run it, having been criticised for the last 20 years for the shambles they've created, are now beyond reproach.

I have Ihave been known to be very critical myself , so no problem with people criticising the running of the health system and those who run it .
    But hands off the health care workers who have held everything together and worked so hard in awful fvcking circumsrances over the pandemic , and to be fair before that and will continue into the future no doubt .
    It is very hard to be banging your head off the stone wall that is the HSE as well as doing the best you can each day .but a lot of us do try to make our voices heard through our managers and unions .
    But for some poster to be criticising healthcare workers in general is just plain wrong .

Aim for the correct target .

He's talking about the bureaucrats not the front liners.

Well " he " should make that a bit clearer then .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

First Up wrote: »
    You should form your own political party, recruit members, select candidates, win the election, form a government and then you can put your opinions into action.

And then hand over all power to Tony Holohan....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I’m leaning towards it going ahead, you just can’t plan for it as publicans and restaurateurs will only have a few days to get ready… surely the start of next week not the end of next week would be the right time to announce whether or which they open or suspend for a few weeks

It must be remembered that our so called government has lot of form for ****ing about publicans in situations like these, it hard to say they won't pull the rug out from under them at short notice when in fact they have shown in the past that that is exactly what they will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Gael23 wrote: »
    People will just book foreign holidays from July 19 if we don’t open.
    Simples

Foreign , I'm already looking at Belfast for July 10th.
    Be looking at Sligo, Westport otherwise.

mightyreds wrote: »

We’ve given the north a massive boost with regards to hospitality this year. Every weekend I hear or see online another 10 or so people I know up there having a bit of fun.

If I was a publican or restauranteur down here, my head would be filled with uncontrollable rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Bring your marching boots

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

To be fair to Fintan, Given that his comment was in relation to the large numbers of Bureaucrats in NPHET I would have thought that obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Heading the weekend of the 12th is madness especially with all the drama presently. There's an exodus of people that leave the North that weekend every year for a good reason. I'd switch dates if I were you.

To be fair to Fintan, Given that his comment was in relation to the large numbers of Bureaucrats in NPHET I would have thought that obvious.

To be fair to Fintan ? Don't be asking me to be fair to someone who made a wholly untrue and unfair post . He never said anything about bureaucrats in that post .
    He said those working " in the health service ..." so how is that obvious that it wasn't ordinary HCWs as well , norman ?

You want to slate a group be specific so there is no mistaking your point .
    You want to troll , conflate and be inflammatory..that's what that post was about .
    That's what most of thise posts are about really , no discussion, no debate , conflate , misdirect and misinform, trying to get a rise out of people, very childish and very disappointing after all this time .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Comparing Ebola to covid now! Officially lost the plot!!

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1407612862030303233?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Im pretty sure that, if the cases keep on rising in the UK there will be a lot of flights and ferry trips from the rest of the UK to Northern Ireland and then onwards to the Republic. No checks. The easiest route because tge UK is a 'sovereign' nation. They will be banned from most European countries.
    Flying w Delta, the ultra popular company atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

It was fairly obvious to everyone else who read it so maybe the fault lies with you for rushing to take offense to have a soapbox moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Comparing Ebola to covid now! Officially lost the plot!!

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1407612862030303233?s=21

Ebola outbreaks generally don't spread very far as the virus is so fecking deadly it kills people before they have a chance to pass it on to many people. As I see it, there are two possibilities here:

a)Staines knows this and is being intentionally misleading, in which case he should be ignored

or

b) Staines doesn't know this, which indicates he doesn't have a notion about how all this works, in which case he should be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Ebola outbreaks generally don't spread very far as the virus is so fecking deadly it kills people before they have a chance to pass it on to many people. As I see it, there are two possibilities here:

a)Staines knows this and is being intentionally misleading, in which case he should be ignored

or

b) Staines doesn't know this, which indicates he doesn't have a notion about how all this works, in which case he should be ignored.

Ebola is one virus that if it mutated into a less deadly variant , would be catastrophic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

or

It's actually an interesting point.

If we were dealing with Ebola most of us wouldn't want to leave our house.

We have had 16 months of the virus and our government actions are more terrifying than the virus.....

If this virus was the deadly pathogen so many want us to believe we wouldn't need constant media hysteria....we'd see it ourselves!

Not kite flying - more dictatorial. Another day, another NPHET member on the airwaves and in the papers. This time Mary Favier.

"She said if people were told delaying the easing of restrictions for a few weeks meant that we would avoid more lockdowns and increased pressure on the health system, the public would understand". Would we understand?? Seriously?

All this from a wider co-ordinated message from a variety of GP's this morning urging delays to reopening, including one calling on government to be 'brave' and delay. Reprehensible to be honest. When you wonder why your local restaurant/pub has gone out of business, and why your mates are on the PUP, look no further. Government won't have any choice by next week, the public will have been subjected to a fear-bombing on the airwaves by the usual NPHET & GP's. Remember, there's some who think NPHET don't seek out the limelight. My ar*e.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/difficult-decisions-on-easing-rules-to-be-made-if-delta-variant-continues-to-spread-1.4602293

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Not kite flying - more dictatorial. Another day, another NPHET member on the airwaves and in the papers. This time Mary Favier.

"She said if people were told delaying the easing of restrictions for a few weeks meant that we would avoid more lockdowns and increased pressure on the health system, the public would understand". Would we understand?? Seriously?

All this from a wider co-ordinated message from a variety of GP's this morning urging delays to reopening, including one calling on government to be 'brave' and delay. Reprehensible to be honest. When you wonder why your local restaurant/pub has gone out of business, and why your mates are on the PUP, look no further. Government won't have any choice by next week, the public will have been subjected to a fear-bombing on the airwaves by the usual NPHET & GP's. Remember, there's some who think NPHET don't seek out the limelight. My ar*e.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/difficult-decisions-on-easing-rules-to-be-made-if-delta-variant-continues-to-spread-1.4602293

Well, we all know the posters here that have fallen for that one....stay in lock down (or severe restrictions) to prevent another lock down....how long are we being pedaled that one now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

It has been said many times but if NPHET were all required to go on PUP during lockdowns, they would make different decisions. It would also be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's actually an interesting point.

If we were dealing with Ebola most of us wouldn't want to leave our house.
    "Most" is definitely true. The other minority though, responses to covid would suggest, is bigger than one might have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The public would need to get on with it but that's not the same as understanding

The same arguments against reopening would be rehashed in 2 - 3 weeks time

Sure what's another 2 - 3 weeks people would understand?

sure why not 4-6 weeks just to be sure?

That way we can protect the schools going back in August

No thinking about peoples livelihoods for those in hospitality or the millions another delay would cause

Serious momentum being built up for the delay in the media

I'd serious doubt the government will go against NPHET advice if that is for a delay in the reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It has been said many times but if NPHET were all required to go on PUP during lockdowns, they would make different decisions. It would also be fair.
    Go on the PUP as in not do any of their work during the lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'd serious doubt the government will go against NPHET advice if that is for a delay in the reopening

No chance, not after Tony scolded them for December

Advertisement