Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ficheall wrote: »
    "Most" is definitely true. The other minority though, responses to covid would suggest, is bigger than one might have expected.

The amount of people not deathly afraid of a virus is somewhat proportional to how deadly that virus actually is - I'm sure for ebola, an actual deadly virus, most people would stay well away.

The amount of anti-mask/restrictions etc people around nowadays are around specificially because covid is of little risk to them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not kite flying - more dictatorial. Another day, another NPHET member on the airwaves and in the papers. This time Mary Favier.

The sky is currently choc full of kites, we have seen all this before and its pretty ****ing obvious what is going on.

The sad part is all the posters going around shouting that "there are no kites", "whats the problem", "everything is fine, listen to your betters", as if people are stupid and don't see whats happening. Of course there are a notable few who have made it their lifestyle to shill for NPHET on here, if the reopening is actually delayed you will see them shamelessly pivot as they have done so many times before, but for others you have to actually wonder what is going through their heads? How can they not see what is happening, how can they sit there and defend this ****e after being made fools of for well over a year now?

Said it before, I honestly think this country and its people deserve everything it gets. It should be remembered that governments just don't pop up out of nowhere, generally they are a reflection of the populace.

Not kite flying - more dictatorial. Another day, another NPHET member on the airwaves and in the papers. This time Mary Favier.

"She said if people were told delaying the easing of restrictions for a few weeks meant that we would avoid more lockdowns and increased pressure on the health system, the public would understand". Would we understand?? Seriously?

All this from a wider co-ordinated message from a variety of GP's this morning urging delays to reopening, including one calling on government to be 'brave' and delay. Reprehensible to be honest. When you wonder why your local restaurant/pub has gone out of business, and why your mates are on the PUP, look no further. Government won't have any choice by next week, the public will have been subjected to a fear-bombing on the airwaves by the usual NPHET & GP's. Remember, there's some who think NPHET don't seek out the limelight. My ar*e.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/difficult-decisions-on-easing-rules-to-be-made-if-delta-variant-continues-to-spread-1.4602293

We really are pathetic. Why is no other country in the world as hysterical as Ireland?

We have a tiny number of deaths at this point. Empty hospitals. Low case numbers. The more vulnerable half of the country vaccinated. And all I've read the last few days is article after article about delaying reopening. And it is not just clickbait. It is actual talk from government, NPHET, GP's, experts.

We've already had far longer restrictions than almost every country in the world and we are currently far behind with reopening as well. Enough is enough!

You can easily see a delay followed by a need to get kids back to school safely followed by a we must be cautious over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

"Most" is definitely true. The other minority though, responses to covid would suggest, is bigger than one might have expected.

Futile to compare how people might react to a deadly disease with how they have reacted to a disease that is of negligible risk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

Realistically though, bar being angry, upset or not vote for said politicians again. What can we, as a public do if they do push the reopening out by a few weeks. Unless business owners take a stand, unfortunately we'll just have to sit back and take it and continue enjoying the current guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Go on the PUP as in not do any of their work during the lockdown?

No, continue to do their work but be paid less.

If a decision has a big financial impact on you personally, you will make a different decision.

The sky is currently choc full of kites, we have seen all this before and its pretty ****ing obvious what is going on.

The sad part is all the posters going around shouting that "there are no kites", "whats the problem", "everything is fine, listen to your betters", as if people are stupid and don't see whats happening. Of course there are a notable few who have made it their lifestyle to shill for NPHET on here, if the reopening is actually delayed you will see them shamelessly pivot as they have done so many times before, but for others you have to actually wonder what is going through their heads? How can they not see what is happening, how can they sit there and defend this ****e after being made fools of for well over a year now?

Said it before, I honestly think this country and its people deserve everything it gets. It should be remembered that governments just don't pop up out of nowhere, generally they are a reflection of the populace.

Complete absence of leadership as there has been for almost all of this pandemic.
    And into that vacuum steps:
    • Click bait media sadly including even mainly the national broadcaster
    • ISAG scumbags
    • Self serving politicians like Varadkar
    • One issue advisory groups like NPHET who really shouldn't be on the likes of Twitter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will the public accept lockdowns when most of the population are vaccinated? It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

timmyntc wrote: »
    The amount of people not deathly afraid of a virus is somewhat proportional to how deadly that virus actually is - I'm sure for ebola, an actual deadly virus, most people would stay well away.
    I agreed on "most". I'm just saying my estimate at the proportion is not as high as it would, pre-covid, have been.

I agreed on "most". I'm just saying my estimate at the proportion is not as high as it would, pre-covid, have been.

Based on what?

• Advertisement

At this point, I think Tony knows he has the media on his side and he now has very serious power in this country.

He knew well what he was doing when he sent out that South Williams street tweet.
    He knew well what he was at advising young people not to travel.
    He knew well what he was doing when he suddenly started raising concerns about the delta variant. (Unsurprisingly just before hospitality is due to reopen)

Sadly, we've all been here before. The kites are flying once again. We'll be delaying unless the government grows a pair.

No, continue to do their work but be paid less.
    Ah, I see - not what I interpreted as being on the PUP. I suspect many people would have been a lot more irate had they had to do their fulltime jobs and get just the PUP money, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Might sound extreme but maybe pubs, restaurants, etc should just unite and open anyway…They can’t arrest/fine everyone….I’d actually support them…This is getting a bit ridiculous at this stage…

I don’t want to come across as conspiracy theorist but I really don’t like the amount of control that is being put on us so to speak…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

After the big discharge total on Tuesday 47 now in hospitals 13 of 47 in ICU.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

robbiezero wrote: »
    Based on what?
    The number of - hoax, civil liberties, antivax, cases going down alongside restrictions is just a coincidence, conspiracy - voices etc.

I wouldn't have expected so many of those, is all. I'd still expect them to be a significant minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Ah, I see - not what I interpreted as being on the PUP. I suspect many people would have been a lot more irate had they had to do their fulltime jobs and get just the PUP money, for sure.

Well, of course they would. But NPHET are in a somewhat unique position - making decisions that have a massive financial impact on others, and zero financial impact on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Might sound extreme but maybe pubs, restaurants, etc should just unite and open anyway…They can’t arrest/fine everyone….I’d actually support them…This is getting a bit ridiculous at this stage…

I don’t want to come across as conspiracy theorist but I really don’t like the amount of control that is being put on us so to speak…

While they cannot arrest everyone they absolutely can fine and refuse license renewals for everyone

The number of - hoax, civil liberties, antivax, cases going down alongside restrictions is just a coincidence, conspiracy - voices etc.

I wouldn't have expected so many of those, is all. I'd still expect them to be a significant minority.

I'm curious why you have included "civil liberties" in there? The fact that civil liberties have been removed in this pandemic is a statement of fact, not opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

VinLieger wrote: »
    While they cannot arrest everyone they absolutely can fine and refuse license renewals for everyone

Then they should still open up and us, as the public, should support them 100%. This country is embarrassing now at this stage.

VinLieger wrote: »

Again I don’t think that would work - if they all unite pubs could refuse to pay fine…Ignore renewals…What are govt going to do? Shut down every pub in the country? I get what I am saying is extreme but I feel this is getting ridiculous…Anyway only my opinion :)

• Advertisement

Then they should still open up and us, as the public, should support them 100%. This country is embarrassing now at this stage.

While i agree we should be open this is just not realistic.

Again I don’t think that would work - if they all unite pubs could refuse to pay fine…Ignore renewals…What are govt going to do? Shut down every pub in the country? I get what I am saying is extreme but I feel this is getting ridiculous…Anyway only my opinion :)

The issue for pubs is that they are not being represented, they have no union or lobby group worth a damn acting in their interests. As opposed to the avowed anti-alcohol Tony Holohan who is the ultimate lobby group, one that has its every request actioned by a servile government.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Cork2021 wrote: »
    After the big discharge total on Tuesday 47 now in hospitals 13 of 47 in ICU.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

You fit more people on a minibus. Ridiculous at this stage now.

I'm curious why you have included "civil liberties" in there? The fact that civil liberties have been removed in this pandemic is a statement of fact, not opinion?
    That's fair. Perhaps it does not belong in the list. Could be just that it was the cry of some of the more strident very early objectors - when the reasons for the impinging decisions made were clear and the data very much supported caution. I can understand the objections on related grounds now that we have more data. Though people claiming they were "locked in their homes" here at any point seemed a tad dramatic.

Permit me to replace that list item with people's overwhelming need to go to the hairdresser in the face of a pandemic :)

The issue for pubs is that they are not being represented, they have no union or lobby group worth a damn acting in their interests. As opposed to the avowed anti-alcohol Tony Holohan who is the ultimate lobby group, one that has its every request actioned by a servile government.

I don’t disagree…My idea is far fetched to say the least…I would support it if anything maybe on a smaller scale happened…

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Its clear NPHET are coming on the airwaves to put pressure on the spineless government to halt the easing of restrictions.
    We all know Martin is a coward and will back NPHET. The statement from favier about no more lockdowns if we defer is a joke. Its the old stay in lockdown to avoid lockdown.

Come the end of July it will be the Delta Plus variant and we cant ease before a bank holiday, then is schools back --so no indoor dining in 2021.

The court case from the restaurants association, which the Judge i feel thought would be moot by the adjourned date of 8 July looks like its will have to be a proper hearing.

restaurants and pubs should just open next week, cant see any court refusing a licence at renewal for all restaurants and pubs. The courts will be locked down in objections for years if the gardai or dept of Health object to every licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭bloopy

That's fair. Perhaps it does not belong in the list. Could be just that it was the cry of some of the more strident very early objectors - when the reasons for the impinging decisions made were clear and the data very much supported caution. I can understand the objections on related grounds now that we have more data. Though people claiming they were "locked in their homes" here at any point seemed a tad dramatic.

Permit me to replace that list item with people's overwhelming need to go to the hairdresser in the face of a pandemic :)

You do realize that this smug bull is no longer working, right?

Are you ****ing kidding me? The LVF and VFI have MASSIVE lobbying influence, the entirety of minimum unit pricing stuff came from them, the health nutjobs co-opted it when it became an easy win but it would never have gotten anywhere without the pubs lobbying for it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The weeks after the date of July 5th are the biggest weeks for many businesses scheduled to open on this date. A weekends takings in this period is equivalent to a months takings in winter.

There is absolutely no justification for the misery that will be inflicted on these people if Government by extreme caution is allowed to have its day again.

If some of the “advisors” had their way in recent winters we’d have had flu lockdowns to protect the health service. Using lockdowns to mask years of health service mismanagement is where we’re at now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

This time last week we were planning heading to electric picnic in September, now we’re considering further postponement of Europe’s slowest relaxation of hospitality

Who could have predicted that

Advertisement