Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This time last week we were planning heading to electric picnic in September, now we’re considering further postponement of Europe’s slowest relaxation of hospitality

Who could have predicted that

While i wouldnt have predicted im not surprised by ISAGs media blitz on Tuesday that caused the media to jump on the fearmonger train and then NPHET and Governments following wimping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

47 people in hospitals, 13 of these are in ICU in all country...and we are still closed.... Septic staff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ficheall wrote: »
    The number of - hoax, civil liberties, antivax, cases going down alongside restrictions is just a coincidence, conspiracy - voices etc.

I wouldn't have expected so many of those, is all. I'd still expect them to be a significant minority.

Civil liberties is now alongside hoax and anti-vax. That's some mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Civil liberties is now alongside hoax and anti-vax. That's some mindset.
    Not what I meant, but knock yourself out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

This time last week we were planning heading to electric picnic in September, now we’re considering further postponement of Europe’s slowest relaxation of hospitality

Who could have predicted that

There are plans to host 7000 at a Rugby match yet Dublin was removed for next Tuesday's match for England v Germany (as a Euro2020 host).

There is no indoor dining, but there is for hand picked businesses like hotels.

Vaccination is coming along grand. A real success story as 60+ year olds are still waiting for their second jab of Astra Zeneca.

Ireland will sign up to the EU digital vaccination cert on July 19th but won't sign up to it fully.

A majority of adults have received one job but no one in the 18-30 age group

Everywhere you look there are contradictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ficheall wrote: »
    Not what I meant, but knock yourself out ;)

Nicely passive aggressive. I'm glad its not what you meant but its what you wrote. But sure I should knock myself out.

marno21 wrote: »
    The weeks after the date of July 5th are the biggest weeks for many businesses scheduled to open on this date. A weekends takings in this period is equivalent to a months takings in winter.

There is absolutely no justification for the misery that will be inflicted on these people if Government by extreme caution is allowed to have its day again.

If some of the “advisors” had their way in recent winters we’d have had flu lockdowns to protect the health service. Using lockdowns to mask years of health service mismanagement is where we’re at now

I'd imagine that if there is no change on July 5th then these businesses will be closed until some time in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Economics101

There are plans to host 7000 at a Rugby match yet Dublin was removed for next Tuesday's match for England v Germany (as a Euro2020 host).

Ireland will sign up to the EU digital vaccination cert on July 19th but won't sign up to it fully.

Maybe I missed something but what did you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The issue for pubs is that they are not being represented, they have no union or lobby group worth a damn acting in their interests.
    You're having a laugh, right?

Aside from two wealthy unions with direct access to politicians and a load of pub-owning TDs in the Dáil, yeah, the pubs have nobody to speak up for them.

Pull the other one.

A lot of publicans running smaller premises with no mortgage and no bills are happy out collecting their government subsidies and holding private lock-ins for family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not kite flying - more dictatorial. Another day, another NPHET member on the airwaves and in the papers. This time Mary Favier.

"She said if people were told delaying the easing of restrictions for a few weeks meant that we would avoid more lockdowns and increased pressure on the health system, the public would understand". Would we understand?? Seriously?

All this from a wider co-ordinated message from a variety of GP's this morning urging delays to reopening, including one calling on government to be 'brave' and delay. Reprehensible to be honest. When you wonder why your local restaurant/pub has gone out of business, and why your mates are on the PUP, look no further. Government won't have any choice by next week, the public will have been subjected to a fear-bombing on the airwaves by the usual NPHET & GP's. Remember, there's some who think NPHET don't seek out the limelight. My ar*e.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/difficult-decisions-on-easing-rules-to-be-made-if-delta-variant-continues-to-spread-1.4602293

Mary Favier is an insult to her profession

• Advertisement

Maybe I missed something but what did you mean by that?

There is talk that only those fully vaccinated will be allowed to leave whereas the EU scheme accounts for those with negative PCR tests also.

Effectively only people over 40 will be likely allowed to leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Might sound extreme but maybe pubs, restaurants, etc should just unite and open anyway…They can’t arrest/fine everyone….I’d actually support them…This is getting a bit ridiculous at this stage…

I don’t want to come across as conspiracy theorist but I really don’t like the amount of control that is being put on us so to speak…

That’s already happening in rural areas - passed by a local pub/restaurant the other night. Loads of cars, no-one sitting at the outdoor tables in the ****e weather. I hope more follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There is talk that only those fully vaccinated will be allowed to leave whereas the EU scheme accounts for those with negative PCR tests also.

Source?

Whoever is doing that "talking" is full of sh1t.

Anyone will be allowed to leave the country, nobody will be (or has been) turned around at the airport and denied travel.

The only "special" case for the Irish is the possibility that incoming travellers who have their digital cert on the basis of an antigen test may have to get a PCR test instead. But I expect there'll be enough noise about this that it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

seamus wrote: »
    Anyone will be allowed to leave the country, nobody will be (or has been) turned around at the airport and denied travel.
    Not accurate, I'm afraid. There has been a 2000 euro fine in place for people arriving at ports and airports for non-essential purposes.

Not accurate, I'm afraid. There has been a 2000 euro fine in place for people arriving at ports and airports for non-essential purposes.
    Like I say, nobody has been stopped and not permitted to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭votecounts

Effectively only people over 40 will be likely allowed to leave the country

Plenty of over 40 years old including myself will not be fully vaxxed by July 19th, have not even had an appointment for the 1st dose myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

And sure if they were incarcerating people, you'd say they werent stopping people from escaping jail and leaving the country either :rolleyes:

A 2000 fine to leave the country IS stopping people leaving the country. Otherwise why would they put it in place? As A money spinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭votecounts

It's a major deterrent though, a fine of 2000

My social media feed lately is full of people up North enjoying themselves. Soon people will be heading abroad on foreign holidays.

It will be silly if we end up in a situation again were you can fly abroad and eat out/drink in pubs etc but you can't have a drink down in your local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Splitting hairs I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Maxface

Was speaking to a local publican at the weekend and he said that last week was the best week he ever had and that's with only outdoor dining, plenty of staff working and you could see the relief coming from him. It's easy to say online through media channels or whatever that we need to wait or it might be too risky or so on. There are real people that need our economy open as soon as we can. All this hysteria and misinformation has a real and lasting damage on so many. Time to grow some balls and make some hard decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

VinLieger wrote: »
    Are you ****ing kidding me? The LVF and VFI have MASSIVE lobbying influence, the entirety of minimum unit pricing stuff came from them, the health nutjobs co-opted it when it became an easy win but it would never have gotten anywhere without the pubs lobbying for it
    I would say that the proof is in the pudding. 14 months in and pubs are still the scapegoat, still not allowed to operate fully and still being dicked around with regards to their future. They have been disgracefully let down by their representatives and as such I stand by my words:
    they have no union or lobby group worth a damn acting in their interests

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Disingenuous nonsense, which you know full well of course.

Imagine what would happen if people debated honestly in here.

My social media feed lately is full of people up North enjoying themselves. Soon people will be heading abroad on foreign holidays.

It will be silly if we end up in a situation again were you can fly abroad and eat out/drink in pubs etc but you can't have a drink down in your local.

People across Europe are enjoying themselves except in Ireland where the Irish are drinking in the rain and threatened with fines if they consider leaving.

My brother lives in Budapest.
    There are huge beer tents/screens set up in local parks for Euro2020, thousands of French people arrived there in the last week, 65,000 in the stadium to watch the matches......In the UK similar numbers will be there for the final.

Ireland is turning into a Thugocracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

People across Europe are enjoying themselves except in Ireland where the Irish are drinking in the rain and threatened with fines if they consider leaving.

My brother lives in Budapest.
    There are huge beer tents/screens set up in local parks for Euro2020, thousands of French people arrived there in the last week, 65,000 in the stadium to watch the matches......In the UK similar numbers will be there for the final.

Ireland is turning into a Thugocracy!

A pal went to the UEFA cup final last month...in Poland, the place was operating as normal, cafes, pubs, night clubs all open....he had a ball!!!

A pal went to the UEFA cup final last month...in Poland, the place was operating as normal, cafes, pubs, night clubs all open....he had a ball!!!

Closer to home the UK is the same. I’m in London right now. Pints last night and working now in a coffee shop.

It is literally now only Ireland that is not getting on with things. It’s scandalous. The government can only maintain this position because the population is so compliant. And we are only so compliant because of our constant manipulation by NPHET and the media, most notably RTÉ, through their ongoing message of fear

I was supportive of restrictions for a long time, but at this stage it is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think anyone with friends and family living in other countries are only too aware of how ridiculous our severe restrictions are...there is simply no defense.

Closer to home the UK is the same. I’m in London right now. Pints last night and working now in a coffee shop.

It is literally now only Ireland that is not getting on with things. It’s scandalous. The government can only maintain this position because the population is so compliant. And we are only so compliant because of our constant manipulation by NPHET and the media, most notably RTÉ, through their ongoing message of fear

I was supportive of restrictions for a long time, but at this stage it is a farce

I have thought that there are other political/economic (and not virus related) reasons for locking people (even those vaccinated) in this country and that is to ensure they spend their money here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

RTÉ reporting 3 cases of the Delta variant from the Denmark game the other night, yes that's right not 300 but 3 out of 25k people

You can only laugh at them now desperate to be NPHET's lapdogs.

Advertisement