Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Before this pandemic, was there any other contagious respiratory disease that had a period of asymptomatic carrying by a sufferer before symptoms appeared?

It just doesn't seem natural for such a disease not to have symptoms appear for a week after the virus that causes that disease infects the sufferer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

TefalBrain wrote: »
    RTÉ reporting 3 cases of the Delta variant from the Denmark game the other night, yes that's right not 300 but 3 out of 25k people

You can only laugh at them now desperate to be NPHET's lapdogs.

The next two weeks will be crucial.

Before this pandemic, was there any other contagious respiratory disease that had a period of asymptomatic carrying by a sufferer before symptoms appeared?

It just doesn't seem natural for such a disease not to have symptoms appear for a week after the virus that causes that disease infects the sufferer.

Lot of weird things about this virus...we know it doesn't transmit much outdoors....but it came from nature.

I believe it was 29th June 2020 when we reopened indoor hospitality last year. And if I recall correctly, I didn't have to wear a mask.

Hard to believe that restrictions are tougher this year with the more vulnerable half of the country vaccinated. And the rumors gathering pace are that the reopening will be delayed...

There really needs to be an investigation into our handling of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

RTÉ reporting 3 cases of the Delta variant from the Denmark game the other night, yes that's right not 300 but 3 out of 25k people

All 25k people were not tested. Spread of infection is likely higher than 3 individuals. Especially if the Danish authorities are right about the infections all being independent of one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I believe it was 29th June 2020 when we reopened indoor hospitality last year. And if I recall correctly, I didn't have to wear a mask.

Hard to believe that restrictions are tougher this year with the more vulnerable half of the country vaccinated. And the rumors gathering pace are that the reopening will be delayed...

There really needs to be an investigation into our handling of this.

Also in July last year

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/15/891647152/ireland-delays-further-reopening-keeping-bars-closed-as-case-numbers-grow?t=1624540576866
    Ireland is delaying its next phase of reopening, keeping bars closed and extending other restrictions in response to a recent rise in coronavirus cases.
    Reproduction numbers higher than one mean that the virus will spread quickly. Health officials confirmed the R rate rise last week, and noted that 77% of all new infections were detected in people under the age of 25.

The reproductive number was above 1 at the time last summer when reopening was delayed

I wonder how many cases?
    Still, case counts in Ireland are relatively low compared to other parts of the world. The country reported 14 new cases and two deaths as of midnight on Tuesday, bringing its totals to 25,683 cases and 1,748 deaths.

The world is laughing at us for a long time now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I would say that the proof is in the pudding. 14 months in and pubs are still the scapegoat, still not allowed to operate fully and still being dicked around with regards to their future. They have been disgracefully let down by their representatives and as such I stand by my words:

And your words are woefully misinformed and naive if you believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes we wore masks then ,We wore them to and from the table and going to the loo .The staff also wore masks last June

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The world is laughing at us for a long time now

The world is too busy getting on with things than laughing at us to be honest, they wouldn't give a sh1te.

Turtwig wrote: »
    All 25k people were not tested. Spread of infection is likely higher than 3 individuals. Especially if the Danish authorities are right about the infections all being independent of one another.

There is no evidence of that right now.

I'm sure if you tested any 25K people you would find a few cases. Maybe the Danes are not too bothered as the Euro's is good for the countries economy and the moral of its people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes we wore masks then ,We wore them to and from the table and going to the loo .The staff also wore masks last June

Masks were not worn for 99% of the time (unless you had a serious bladder/digestive problem) and it was all indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Flu takes two to four days from infection to symptoms and you're contagious at least one day before you show symptoms.

You're contagious two days before the common cold shows symptoms and remain so for up to two weeks after you were exposed to the virus.

Diphtheria can be five days from infection to symptoms and you're contagious for up to four weeks after infection.

Pneumonia takes up to 10 days before symptoms appear and contagion lasts up to two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If anything the last 15 months has shown the great influence of the Vintners association to be a massive myth. Our pubs, both indoor and outdoor have been closed for longer periods of time than virtually any other country on the planet. Indoor Dublin pubs haven't been open since early March 2020. How anyone can claim they have a massive influence is frankly beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Currently when I open the RTE news website the top headlines, centre page are:
    "More children being infected with Delta variant - GP"
    "Demark fans infected with Delta variant at euros game"
    "Russias covid 19 cases surge to highest since January"
    "Live: Full vaccination most important weapon against Delta"

And then some clown on Boards will try and claim that there is no narrative being pushed in the Irish media.

pc7 wrote: »
    The world is too busy getting on with things than laughing at us to be honest, they wouldn't give a sh1te.

Yeah it's always a bit strange how we constantly refer to the world as judging us, laughing at us etc. We're a tiny country. They barely even know we exist. Pre covid, post covid i can't see that changing.

AdamD wrote: »
    If anything the last 15 months has shown the great influence of the Vintners association to be a massive myth. Our pubs, both indoor and outdoor have been closed for longer periods of time than virtually any other country on the planet. Indoor Dublin pubs haven't been open since early March 2020. How anyone can claim they have a massive influence is frankly beyond me.

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine they are receiving generous support to keep enough of them happy.

All borrowed at the taxpayers expense mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm sure if you tested any 25K people you would find a few cases. Maybe the Danes are not too bothered as the Euro's is good for the countries economy and the moral of its people.

The story has higher placement on RTE's news site than it does on the Danish state broadcaster's equivalent, so you might be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Currently when I open the RTE news website the top headlines, centre page are:

And then some clown on Boards will try and claim that there is no narrative being pushed in the Irish media.

Absolutely obsessed at this stage. A lot of peoples mental health is being destroyed by the likes of RTE pushing this fear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

The story has higher placement on RTE's news site than it does on the Danish state broadcaster's equivalent, so you might be on to something.

We'd best ship tony and the crew at nphet over to Copenhagen to set everyone straight about the delta variant

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

ypres5 wrote: »
    We'd best ship tony and the crew at nphet over to Copenhagen to set everyone straight about the delta variant

They'd rightfully tell him to fcuk off. He'd probably have a stroke seeing people out and about enjoying themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Disingenuous nonsense, which you know full well of course.

Imagine what would happen if people debated honestly in here.

Yes, instead of reactionary nonsense like "Nobody under 40 will be allowed to leave the country", and "Won't someone please think of the publicans!", we might get some rational discussion.

Alas...

This isn't complicated.
    Three known individuals got infected.
    According to the Danish authorities they were all independent infections.
    That means the mininum number of infections is 4. It could be as high as six.

Given how infectious this virus is it, it's probably even higher than that. That's why they want people who attended to get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, instead of reactionary nonsense like "Nobody under 40 will be allowed to leave the country", and "Won't someone please think of the publicans!", we might get some rational discussion.

Alas...

There is a fine of €2000 for anyone leaving this country (until July 19th) without an essential reason.

Are there other countries placing punitive fines on their own citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Yeah it's always a bit strange how we constantly refer to the world as judging us, laughing at us etc. We're a tiny country. They barely even know we exist. Pre covid, post covid i can't see that changing.
    Might get some quirky end of the news item on the "country that still thinks it's in a pandemic" if it drags on into next year.

Might get some quirky end of the news item on the "country that still thinks its in a pandemic" if it drags on into next year.

Considering the world may take up to 2022 to be vaccinated such a news item is highly unlikely. I could see one about Ireland vaccinating teens with very low medical risk before other countries get vaccines for health care workers and extremely medically vulnerable individuals. Very easy to see why many countries may be peeved over that.

(No idea where I stand on that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think Its difficult to predict what will happen with this virus here. I think myself we may see a small wave (in terms of increase hospitalizations).

I can see why the the media reporting can be frustrating for some particularly RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Considering the world may take up to 2022 to be vaccinated such a news item is highly unlikely. I could see one about Ireland vaccinating teens with very low medical risk before other countries get vaccines for health care workers and extremely medically vulnerable individuals. Very easy to see why many countries may be peeved over that.

(No idea where I stand on that.)
    Yes, that is possible though we are vaccinating at roughly the same pace as most European countries so Ireland is unlikely to be singled out on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Alas...

How are people supposed to have a rational discussion when the actions being taken are anything but? I can only assume public health officials are acting on a vendetta against hospitality because there's no rationale for suspending reopening with 60 people in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

This can’t be right???? Only 210?? Not even a days case numbers!!

https://twitter.com/fergalbowers/status/1408060078389829632?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

You're having a laugh, right?

Aside from two wealthy unions with direct access to politicians and a load of pub-owning TDs in the Dáil, yeah, the pubs have nobody to speak up for them.

Pull the other one.

A lot of publicans running smaller premises with no mortgage and no bills are happy out collecting their government subsidies and holding private lock-ins for family and friends.

Very surprised by such a sweeping ill informed statement from you.Your normally very balanced but your "load of publican owning TDs" is from the seventies.Care to tell me how many TDs are publicans.Take a look at the published register of interests which will knock that old chestnut on the head.Another urban myth, publican influence is nonsense if it was so strong why have they remained closed for the longest period in all of Europe.Wealthy representative bodies again far from wealthy surviving on annual subs from members which are modest.Private lock ins anecdotes have probably happened in a few rare exceptions but are mainly confined to Sheebeens.Publicans without mortgages i would guess no more widespread than any other business group.Sorry Seamus but your post is complete nonsense.

Advertisement