Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

They won't lay low, they will just gaslight the **** out of all of us. They will give each other medals, the freedom of Ireland, fat pensions, book deals and tell us all that the past 14 months of inadequacy didn't actually happen the way we remember it. You can see it already, their shills telling us that we weren't actually locked down, that we weren't actually restricted, that the sky is not actually blue.

You know its true, these ***** will all look after each other, it will be medals and pats on the back and most definitely not a badly needed public inquiry.

Richard Chambers already has a book announced. The inside story of covid or something similar. Coming this Christmas. Would make you ****ing sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

NPHET need to share their forecasts with us, I get the feeling that Tony Holohan’s gut feeling is a genuine variable that they take into account, the man lambasted a crowd of young people enjoying their outdoor summer and it has had absolutely zero effect on cases.

Of course it is. Remember back in October, NPHET recommended level 3, a few days later Tony is back and now it's level 5. Email leaked to media to put pressure on Government to follow his advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's really the Tony show really....he's the type to surround himself with weak willed individuals!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

I don't get it. If the Delta strain is such a massive worry, why have India's cases reduce so dramatically lately.

They should be in the midst of a massive and uncontrollable wave, yet they seem to have a handle on the situation now.

It's not vaccination, numbers are too low.
    It's not distancing, not possible in India.
    Herd immunity, unlikely given the population.

How have their numbers recovered at all?

Yes, that is a big mystery.
    Nobody knows. However, they started treating people w Ivermectin.
    Apart from that i havent a clue why it went down at such a speed.
    I have never seen a spike lowered as fast as it began. There is usually a tailing off.
    Almost as if they found a cure.
    Cant be all Ivermectin, surely?
    Testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ballynally wrote: »
    Yes, that is a big mystery.
    Nobody knows. However, they started treating people w Ivermectin.
    Apart from that i havent a clue why it went down at such a speed.
    I have never seen a spike lowered as fast as it began. There is usually a tailing off.
    Almost as if they found a cure.
    Cant be all Ivermectin, surely?
    Testing?

Ivermectin is only good for reducing hospitalizations, not going to stop the spread.

I am not sure if we can actually talk about Ivermectin, Youtube has banned mention of it.

• Advertisement

If the virus is uncontrollable and lock downs and vaccines are the only way of stopping it....then the people working in the coffee shops, petrol stations and supermarkets would have seen massive spikes in case numbers during a viral surge...but that didn't happen either.

Where would people in coffee shops, petrol stations and supermarkets pick up the virus. Customers and colleagues. And where would customers get it. Their homes and jobs. Now if most people have significantly reduced their contacts, those who haven’t would also benefit from the reduced contacts of others. This is remedial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Paul Cunningham just on the 9 o'clock news now saying ministers seem quite happy to delay July 5th reopening. Looks like they have their minds made up before NHPET recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yup they're softening us up for the bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Paul Cunningham just on the 9 o'clock news now saying ministers seem quite happy to delay July 5th reopening. Looks like they have their minds made up before NHPET recommend it

Cowards, spineless cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Yeah I listened to his podcast earlier with FF TD Jim Lawless. At the end himself and Sandra Hurley just went full on the 5th isn’t happening government can see the ‘dark cloud’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭prunudo

Farcical situation if that turns out to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A quote from the so called leader of this country:
    there is a sense of inevitability about the progress of the Delta variant across Europe and that then clearly has implications for the type of restrictions that one would impose.

"Our authorities will be examining that from a clinical perspective … because the balance of risk has changed with the Delta variant.
    And yet the usual suspects are all over these pages telling us there is nothing to see here, no kites in the sky at all, no sir, its all just imagination. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Skygord wrote: »
    I'd be careful using that phrase. Many over 60's, and those in cohorts 4 & 7 (by definition our most vulnerable), received AZ as their 1st dose, and are still awaiting their 2nd dose. The HSE plan says these 2nd doses of AZ will be accelerated over the next 4 weeks, so we're not far off, but we can't quite yet say...
    p0ndk15

A figure I saw today was that 122,000 of the estimated 490,000 people aged between 60 and 69 have been fully vaccinated. Obviously that figure will improve all the time - and hopefully now at pace - but we're still not at the stage where we can say that all potentially vulnerable are fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

And yet the usual suspects are all over these pages telling us there is nothing to see here, no kites in the sky at all, no sir, its all just imagination. :rolleyes:

Thems government lads are up there laughin away trying to get us locked down again and their drinking it up the public are. Somthing needs to change faster then fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Been reading these threads long enough to know that when it does happen, those same suspects will be all yeah its not a shock, it was always on the cards, has to be done to fight the new variant and they never said otherwise, still not a lockdown etc etc

And I thought we were a joke last year…

Stricter restrictions than last year with half the population vaccinated! That’s the reality.

And some people have become so used to it that they don’t even think it’s a big deal anymore. Sure what’s another few weeks?

Will be a huge blow to many businesses. Of course TD's and ministers on fat cat wages and pensions will be alright Jack.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Been reading these threads long enough to know that when it does happen, those same suspects will be all yeah its not a shock, it was always on the cards, has to be done to fight the new variant and they never said otherwise, still not a lockdown etc etc

There is nothing in any available data to suggest and delay to the current timeline is warranted. The main reason being, the vaccination program so far should slow down any negative trend enough to give time to react if necessary, which I don’t think will be

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Look its not ideal and I'm not a fan of it if that's what they go with but will another 2-3 weeks of drinking in beer gardens instead of indoors bother me if it means the guts of 500k more fully vaccinated and then reopen, probably not no. I don't want things to reopen and then close again and if that means 2 more weeks drinking and eating meals outside in order for more of the population to get vaccinated then I can live with it.

But not for longer than 2-3 weeks, I'd like indoor to reopen on the 5th and I think it should but I can see the other viewpoint of 2 more weeks would see probably 500k fully vaccinated.

At the end of the day there's nothing any of us can do to impact the decision making

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Looking forward to our outdoor winter

• Advertisement

Look its not ideal and I'm not a fan of it if that's what they go with but will another 2-3 weeks of drinking in beer gardens instead of outdoors bother me if it means the guts of 500k more fully vaccinated and then reopen, probably not no. I don't want things to reopen and then close again and if that means 2 more weeks drinking and eating meals outside in order for more of the population to get vaccinated then I can live with it.

But not for longer than 2-3 weeks, I'd like indoor to reopen on the 5th and I think it should but I can see the other viewpoint of 2 more weeks would see probably 500k fully vaccinated.

At the end of the day there's nothing any of us can do to impact the decision making

Can't see Tony allowing them open before the August Bank Holiday weekend,then it will be the schools reopening,its taking a very familiar route like last year. Remember indoor dining opened June 29th last year with no vaccines

Look its not ideal and I'm not a fan of it if that's what they go with but will another 2-3 weeks of drinking in beer gardens instead of outdoors bother me if it means the guts of 500k more fully vaccinated and then reopen, probably not no. I don't want things to reopen and then close again and if that means 2 more weeks drinking and eating meals outside in order for more of the population to get vaccinated then I can live with it.

They are 2-3 of the most important weeks of the year for those businesses. The government have no concept of how cut throat it is to run a business in Ireland as they get paid the same wage no matter what happens.

I won't say what i really think of them as i'd be banned :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have to agree . It is June so July and August are at least a bit easier to stick to outdoors . So many have put huge effort into their outdoor space and I think it’s manageable to extend it for another month
    and get another half a million vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I understand the viewpoint that it's only 2-3 more weeks but at the same time, that's 2-3 weeks later than a target that was unambitious to begin with. Plenty of people pointed out that the good thing about our reopening plan is that it was slow enough to limit the risk of setbacks - yet here we are, watching other countries carry on their reopening while we think about slowing ours down just in case. It's extremely disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

TefalBrain wrote: »
    They are 2-3 of the most important weeks of the year for those businesses. The government have no concept of how cut throat it is to run a business in Ireland as they get paid the same wage no matter what happens.

I won't say what i really think of them as i'd be banned :mad:

The situation with the virus definitely is impacting some businesses more than others, no doubt about it.

Beverly Hills, California

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have to agree . It is June so July and August are at least a bit easier to stick to outdoors . So many have put huge effort into their outdoor space and I think it’s manageable to extend it for another month
    and get another half a million vaccinated

And how many premises can't do outdoor dining/drinking? Its pissing rain this evening,how many people are out for a meal this evening?

If 13 in ICU and a tiny few deaths is not good enough, you have to wonder what is ever going to change?

We could have those numbers with everyone fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And how many premises can't do outdoor dining/drinking? Its pissing rain this evening,how many people are out for a meal this evening?

Yeh its pissing tonight but as I said at least we have some hope of it being do able in the summer . I fully understand the frustration and upset of those in the business at the same time . Its a difficult time for them I know . Thankfully its not my decision to make as I would be torn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Look its not ideal and I'm not a fan of it if that's what they go with but will another 2-3 weeks of drinking in beer gardens instead of indoors bother me if it means the guts of 500k more fully vaccinated and then reopen, probably not no. I don't want things to reopen and then close again and if that means 2 more weeks drinking and eating meals outside in order for more of the population to get vaccinated then I can live with it.

I respect your point of view

However it won't end with 2-3 weeks delay

The same reopening queries will arise then

This 2-3 is crucial for businesses and livelihoods

All of the indicators are really good at the moment so no reason to delay

Like if you take the vaccinations angle another 2 weeks after the 2-3 weeks will also see more fully vaccinated

Where does that end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There is nothing in any available data to suggest and delay to the current timeline is warranted. The main reason being, the vaccination program so far should slow down any negative trend enough to give time to react if necessary, which I don’t think will be

This is my very tetchy read of it too. I think the problem is it's a lot easier to sell a delay than to open further and have to regress with a closure. There is a three week lag to confirm delta cases. Its increased transmissiblity in a indoor setting is the wild card.

Will see what the modelling consortium reports to NPHET. I suspect volatility will be quite high.
    There's also an element of politicians saying they're OK with delaying and then if NPHET's advice is to proceed they pin blame solely on NHPET if things go awry.

Advertisement