Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mightyreds wrote: »
    For every person who is happy to drink pints outdoors for 3 weeks there is another trying to plan a wedding or go see family overseas.

I know and I'm supposed to go to a wedding myself but there's nothing we can do about government decisions so I'm just not getting myself worked up over them anymore. Doesn't do any good.

We can debate and give opinions all day long but it won't make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

So your saying there are very little trying to get to visit family overseas

No, I'm saying there are far more happy drinking pints outdoors.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I know and I'm supposed to go to a wedding myself but there's nothing we can do about government decisions so I'm just not getting myself worked up over them anymore. Doesn't do any good

That's it exactly the delay doesn't really affect me at all but just emphasizing it's not just about a pint inside there's alot on the table for some people here and this mess will be devastating for them

Arghus wrote: »
    If you were to look at it through a slight realpolitik lens the potential blow back, politically, from opening and then having to potentially close again is far greater than having to delay once again for another number of weeks.

Good point. They may see having to go back as worse that failing to go forwards. To me, each decision should be on its merits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Multipass wrote: »
    Then take leave. Instead of forcing the healthy to join them out of work.

I am in the high risk group. I was never allowed to take leave and go on social welfare. I had to continue on like everyone else.

• Advertisement

For every man drinking a pint in the rain, there's a bride throwing her bouquet in the sun. Think about that folks.

For every man drinking a pint in the rain, there's a bride throwing her bouquet in the sun. Think about that folks.

For every poster on boards there's another trying to be smart but falling short think about that folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Credit where it's due, McConkey is being entirely sensible and reasonable here.

What was he saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

funnydoggy wrote: »
    What was he saying?

Delta will become dominant here, vaccines work, stats from the UK point to 1/1000 death rate... it will be nowhere near as bad as wave 1/2/3

For every poster on boards there's another trying to be smart but falling short think about that folks

I couldn't help myself, you did say there are as many people happy to drink pints outdoors in Ireland as there are arranging weddings or waiting to visit family abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You are aware that they change the site throughout the day, yes?

Of course I am but according to you RTE are bombarding us with negative covid news to scare the entire country. If that was the case they would have covid stories all over the front page all day every day. The fact is, it is nonsense.

I couldn't help myself, you did say there are as many people happy to drink pints outdoors in Ireland as there are arranging weddings or waiting to visit family abroad.

Well I did word it badly I was just trying to get across there's as many ok happy to delay as there are stressed to the eyeballs , trying to arrange weddings or trying to go home to see family without bring fined.
    It's not all about an indoor pint riding on this which seems to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

At this rate I could be traveling to the UK to see concerts in the Autumn/Winter 2021.

Very hard to see the Authorities allowing indoor 3Arena sized mass gatherings this year

I have to laugh at the absolute naivety of those who think a 2-3 week delay will be actually stuck to. We’ve heard it all before.

I used to laugh at the “lockdown/restrictions to prevent lockdown” crowd and think they were conspiracy theorists. But they’ve been proven right, again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I have to laugh at the absolute naivety of those who think a 2-3 week delay will be actually stuck to. We’ve heard it all before.

I used to laugh at the “lockdown/restrictions to prevent lockdown” crowd and think they were conspiracy theorists. But they’ve been proven right, again and again.

They lie in wait like wolves.
    The smell of blood in their nostrils.
    Waiting.
    Interminably waiting.
    And then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Cork2021 wrote: »
    They lie in wait like wolves.
    The smell of blood in their nostrils.
    Waiting.
    Interminably waiting.
    And then...

He's right you know Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Credit where it's due, McConkey is being entirely sensible and reasonable here.

What choice does he have?

He's been called out every day for scaremongering.

**** him, it's about time he admitted he's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Paul Cunningham just on the 9 o'clock news now saying ministers seem quite happy to delay July 5th reopening. Looks like they have their minds made up before NHPET recommend it

looks like isag's work is done !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Was it only tuesday when they came out of the woodwork and had a load of media interviews,it was very concerted and looks like it has worked for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I don’t think people should accept this delay. Where is the scientific data re why we should delay? Gabriel Scally wouldn’t even answer Ciara Kelly recently on Newstalk re the death rate of Covid for the under 40s. I wonder why? Because there would be no justification for these restrictions if he gave the figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Tony tweeted concern and ISAG appeared all over the media in the following days. Then in the last day or so the politicians have fallen into line with talk of dark clouds and possible delays. Not a spine between them. Backbenchers seem utterly spineless as well, and SF in opposition might as well not be there.

I'm still hoping they go ahead on the 5th, it would be cruel on those businesses who have prepared and taken bookings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Weasels.

What a spineless bunch running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

If indoor dining is delayed they'd want to delay the bi election on 8th July or it'll be terrible optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

I really wish people would stop using "only 2-3 weeks extra and then we'll be in the clear" as if it's a valid option at this point. We've been down this road too many times already. It's not just about that 3 weeks delay, it's the delay to the subsequent stages thereafter.

The laughable unambitious 5k at AI Finals and gigs, put back to September. Outdoor gig season ending in October, by which time we haven't tested a full capacity outdoor situation at all. Are winter indoor gigs (flu season) going to be allowed when outdoor hasn't even been tested properly? No chance. We're into late spring next year before we can even try a 100+ wedding, or a restricted capacity nightclub, or an indoor gig. Think of the people working in these industries

If we delay the next stage to Aug 2nd (likely given the tendency to pick a date post bank holiday), we'll also be 3-4 weeks out from schools reopening, of which there'll be caution around the effects of. There's is a massive push around the return to full normality of UK society on July 19th, with MPs consistently saying there's a small gap to get things back to normality before new barriers arise in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Don’t see anything in today’s figures to justify a delay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Look I'm just not bothered getting myself worked up over it, what's the point,? Doesn't do any good, we can't impact the decisions that get made next week.

We know double vaccination is what's needed to give Delta the kick up the arse, if 2-3 weeks means all the 60s get the 2nd AZ dose and we'll have massive numbers double vaccinated then if that means I've to drink pints outside for 2 or 3 more weeks then I'm ok with that, do I like it no not really, but there's feck all I can do about it

I've convinced myself that the government have adopted NPHET's behavioural science modus operandi (fear, worry-meter, anticipatory behaviour etc) to maintain the progress and counter any vaccine hesitancy.

This is what stops me getting worked up with the prospect of a delay in the reopening of society because there is nothing in the data that suggests we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Of course I am but according to you RTE are bombarding us with negative covid news to scare the entire country. If that was the case they would have covid stories on the front page all day every day. The fact is, it is nonsense.

RTE are relentlessly negative. That's a fact and anyone that comes on here and claims otherwise is either blind or on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

RTE are relentlessly negative. That's a fact and anyone that comes on here and claims otherwise is either blind or on a wind up.

It’s been the case since long before COVID as well. I have no idea why people try to deny it. RTÉ have a misery fetish and have done for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

mloc123 wrote: »
    The guy in in Belfast saying that transmission in Ireland (with a population of 6 million) could generate a new vaccine resistant strain.... sure, that seems likely when India with a population of 1.5 billion and higher daily transmission then the total transmission here over a year didn't manage to do it.

You need a higher proportion of vaccinated people before the vaccine resistant variants crop up.

Wait until 50%+ of India are vaccinated for the fun to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Klonker wrote: »
    If indoor dining is delayed they'd want to delay the bi election on 8th July or it'll be terrible optics.

Them feckin gays is after our elections now. It's too much equality. PC gone mad.

Advertisement