Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's almost seven months to the day when I contracted covid, I am under-40 and not immuno-compromised, so I guess I just miss out on the single-shot. But do they factor in long-covid, because I had awful aches in my chest, similar to trapped air or heart burn, almost every night well into the new year (haven't got them before or since)?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Why did you get a card and I didn't? We were jabbed at the same time, you get your second shot same time as me on 28th. Mines was done at my GP, were they handing out cards at the MVC?

Mine was at the GP too. But my Mum and Dad both got one from the MVC. Possibly it's an oversight with the GP but I'd give them a call as the nurse told me to bring it back when I'm coming on the 28th

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's almost seven months to the day when I contracted covid, I am under-40 and not immuno-compromised, so I guess I just miss out on the single-shot. But do they factor in long-covid, because I had awful aches in my chest, similar to trapped air or heart burn, almost every night well into the new year (haven't got them before or since)?

I had that for about 8 weeks after I caught it too. iirc it was around the same time as you as well castletownman, glad to hear you're doing well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Firstly, with all due respect, I quoted from a newspaper article which didn't have Denmark within the quotes, so my sincere apologies for simply saying an EU country (didn't think it mattered but I stand corrected by you).

Secondly, again, I didn't "selectively quote out of context" - as said, I just quoted an article. I'm not trying to create some false story here, and clearly said I'd take the first vaccine offered to me.

Thirdly, you're right, there is plenty more from where you quoted. The actual full press release elaborated on it further, and, importantly, rather than simply say that the current situation allowed it to ignore J&J, which, as I think you are suggesting, means there was no disadvantage in doing so, said:

"However, taking the present situation in Denmark into account, what we are currently losing in our effort to prevent severe illness from COVID-19 cannot outweigh the risk of causing possible side effects in the form of severe blood clots in those we vaccinate."

So clearly, there is an impact on them from pausing.

"The decision to continue the rollout without the COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson will significantly affect the last two target groups – those between 20 and 39 years old. They are facing a delay of up to four weeks. The remaining target groups will experience a delay of about one week.."

There's a certain irony in that your pulling me up on this is in relation to a post I, and others, made about the reasonableness of having a vaccine preference, when your post confirms quite clearly that it would be reasonable for some people to have a preference against J&J - that an EU country (sorry DENMARK) believes it's better to delay vaccinating its citizens for a period of time, rather than risking J&J. That's what they said. In my opinion.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have no issue with you having a vaccine preference. I also have vaccine preferences - I want to take them all.

I just think it's important that any references to regulatory preferences are provided with context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Necro wrote: »
    What age bracket are you? If you're over 50 it's AZ or J&J

If under 50 it's Pfizer or Moderna

That's it as per NIAC advise presently.

What does it come down to decide if you get one or the other of Pfizer or Moderna?

Supply?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

New cases: 393
    Denotified cases: 6
    Total cases: 251,474
    New deaths: 8
    Denotified deaths: 2
    Total deaths: 4,921

Of the 8 mortalities reported today
    • 3 occurred in May
    • 2 occurred in March
    • 3 occurred in February or earlier
    • Median age: 79
    • Age range: 55-97
    Of the 393 cases notified today
    • Male: 175
    • Female: 211
    • Under 45 years old: 310 (79%)
    • Median age: 28
    • Dublin: 173
    • Cork: 42
    • Kildare: 34
    • Donegal: 26
    • Meath: 15
    • Remaining 103 cases spread across 20 other counties
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Tuesday 4th May
    • Total doses: 1,665,866 (+33,996)
    • First dose: 1,201,373 (+27,081)
    • Second dose: 454,493 (+6,915)
    ** Vaccine Type**
    • Pfizer: 1,155,540 (+12,300) - 36% of total
    • Moderna: 82,513 (+1,575) - 5% of total
    • AZ: 417,813 (+20,121) - 59% of total
    • Janssen: 0 (+)

Cohort Breakdown

Cohort 1 (Residents aged 65+ in LTCF)
    • Total in group: ~105,000
    • Total vaccines: 194,121 (+0)
    • Total with first vaccine: 109,372 (-6)
    • Total with second vaccine: 84,749 (+6)
    • 104% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 81% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Cohort 2 (Frontline Healthcare Workers)
    • Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 352,673 (+179)
    • Total with first vaccine: 256,742 (+159)
    • Total with second vaccine: 95,931 (+20)
    • 102% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 38% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Cohort 3 (People 70+)
    • Total in group: 482,327
    • Total vaccines: 723,829 (+7,197) *Total with first vaccine: 456,407 (+807)
    • Total with second vaccine: 267,422 (+6,390)
    • 95% of total half vaccinated (+1%)
    • 55% of total fully vaccinated (+1%)
    Cohort 4 (People aged 16-69 and at very high risk of severe Covid-19)
    • Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 216,991 (+6,721)
    • Total with first vaccine: 210,694 (+6,223)
    • Total with second vaccine: 6,297 (+498)
    • 84% of total half vaccinated (+2%)
    • 2.5% of total fully vaccinated (+0.2%)
    Cohort 5 (All aged 60-69)
    • Total in group: 417,000
    • Total vaccines: 166,197 (+19,736)
    • Total with first vaccine: 166,154 (+19,735)
    • Total with second vaccine: 43 (+1)
    • 40% of total half vaccinated (+5%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated
    Cohort 7 (People aged 16-69 who have an underlying conditions that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death)
    • Total in group: ~350,000
    • Total vaccines: 1,420 (+70)
    • Total with first vaccine: 1,418 (+70)
    • Total with second vaccine: 2 (+0)
    • 0.4% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 0% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)
    Other "Uncoded" Cohort
    • Total: 635
    • First Dose: 586
    • Second Dose: 49
    Hospital stats as of 8 am today
    • Hospitalised: 131 (-6)
    • ICU: 36 (-1)
    • New admissions past 24 hours: 16

Previous Thursdays

29/04: 474
    22/04: 617

5 day average

410 (Last wk: 427)

7 day average

452 (Last wk: 433)

14 day incidence rate

130/100k (Last wk: 125)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I had that for about 8 weeks after I caught it too. iirc it was around the same time as you as well castletownman, glad to hear you're doing well now.

Thanks Necro. Hope your doing well now too.

Normality is rapidly returning for me thankfully. Fully healthy, all my nearest and dearest partially or fully vaccinated, back to work Tuesday and got word this evening that a GAA team I am involved with can go back training next week too. Nearly wondering how I am going to fit everything in now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Lumen wrote: »
    For the avoidance of doubt, I have no issue with you having a vaccine preference. I also have vaccine preferences - I want to take them all.

I just think it's important that any references to regulatory preferences are provided with context.

On that we can agree. And I'm sure that you would concur that the extra detail I provided provided extra relevant context. :)

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What does it come down to decide if you get one or the other of Pfizer or Moderna?

Supply?

I guess so yeah, it's most likely going to be Pfizer I suspect for the majority of people given they seem to be providing the largest quantities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Sounds dreadful....I get that feeling the odd time after eating too much over a few days - couldn’t imagine coping with feeling 8 weeks long. Damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Why did you get a card and I didn't? We were jabbed at the same time, you get your second shot same time as me on 28th. Mines was done at my GP, were they handing out cards at the MVC?

I got a card when I got my Astrazeneca jab in Citywest but no date was filled in for the second dose.

Watched bbc news there for the first time in a long while. Their death figures are those who died within 28 days of a positive test. They are hiding the true impact. Lots live longer than 28 days on life support before succumbing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Watched bbc news there for the first time in a long while. Their death figures are those who died within 28 days of a positive test. They are hiding the true impact. Lots live longer than 28 days on life support before succumbing

It was mentioned before when they changed the reporting of it, that any patients not discharged and who died after the 28 days is included in the death figures.
    Even patients discharged, but readmitted after 28 days from covid issues and pass away are counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

We'll be moving to a new phase where the health service can manage the level of deaths.

The vaccines won't stop death and vulnerable people will still die. But once hospitals can cope with the numbers, it's important for society to move on.

Only that our hospitals could not cope with numbers even before covid and we were moving on anyway.
    Why do you expect some miracle? There were no new hospitals built as far as I know.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    It was mentioned before when they changed the reporting of it, that any patients not discharged and who died after the 28 days is included in the death figures.
    Even patients discharged, but readmitted after 28 days from covid issues and pass away are counted.

I thought it was weird how they emphasised the within 28 days

I thought it was weird how they emphasised the within 28 days

I think it was to stop people thinking someone falling off a cliff 6 months after testing positive from covid was being included in the death figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 123 (up from 122 last night)
    ICU 36 (down from 37 last night - no deaths)

Last Thursday
    Total 136
    ICU 44

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I think it was to stop people thinking someone falling off a cliff 6 months after testing positive from covid was being included in the death figures.

And here was me thinking most people who died of Covid were actually hit by a train, but it was falling off a cliff all along

And here was me thinking most people who died of Covid were actually hit by a train, but it was falling off a cliff all along

Well the most common seems to be car accidents and falls /s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 123 (up from 122 last night)
    ICU 36 (down from 37 last night - no deaths)

Last Thursday
    Total 136
    ICU 44

Is there data in the demographics of those now in hospital?

• Advertisement

Some pretty bleak stuff from Chris Whitty in the UK. Makes you wonder whether we’ll be in and out of this for a number of years, with the ongoing risk of shifts in the virus profile and new restrictions. CW is pretty measured in what he says, so I’m inclined to listen to him. From the guardian:

England’s chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty has said that Covid-19 is unlikely ever to be eradicated, and the outlook for the pandemic remains “pretty bleak” in the medium term, at a Royal Society online event, PA reports.

Prof Whitty said:

“In the medium term, the outlook still looks pretty bleak around the world.

I would really reiterate that until we have got a situation where we have induced immunity in those who are most vulnerable everywhere in the world, we will continue to see really significant morbidity and mortality from this virus.”

He added that while time and science “was on our side”, the virus was not “going to go away”.

In the long term, I do expect that this will become a much milder, chronic disease overall, probably with seasonal peaks, and from time to time there will be enough of an antigenic shift that actually we have another problem to which we have to respond in due course.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is but that's exactly where the first batch of J&J should be used! We'll have enough to do all of that group, under 50s or not, very shortly.

Well if we continue to reward bad behaviour then we are only encouraging it and more to blame than those that are acting recklessly. I must go and organise a big gathering so I can get vaccinated ahead of everyone else.

Some pretty bleak stuff from Chris Whitty in the UK. Makes you wonder whether we’ll be in and out of this for a number of years, with the ongoing risk of shifts in the virus profile and new restrictions. CW is pretty measured in what he says, so I’m inclined to listen to him. From the guardian:

England’s chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty has said that Covid-19 is unlikely ever to be eradicated, and the outlook for the pandemic remains “pretty bleak” in the medium term, at a Royal Society online event, PA reports.

Prof Whitty said:

“In the medium term, the outlook still looks pretty bleak around the world.

I would really reiterate that until we have got a situation where we have induced immunity in those who are most vulnerable everywhere in the world, we will continue to see really significant morbidity and mortality from this virus.”

He added that while time and science “was on our side”, the virus was not “going to go away”.

In the long term, I do expect that this will become a much milder, chronic disease overall, probably with seasonal peaks, and from time to time there will be enough of an antigenic shift that actually we have another problem to which we have to respond in due course.”

The medium term being the next 12 to 18 months and the need to get vaccine to developing countries. This is the scientific community putting pressure on policy makers to ensure that there is a global effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Didn't think Ireland could ever possibly have been accused of this, but the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) has claimed that Ireland, along with most of the world's countries, have underreported COVID deaths quite significantly. In the case of Ireland, allegedly over 2000 COVID deaths have gone unreported. REally don't see how that's possible when we also count suspected COVID deaths though. Their global estimate death toll is just under 7 million.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-responsible-for-7-000-deaths-in-ireland-us-research-1.4557768?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Didn't think Ireland could ever possibly have been accused of this, but the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) has claimed that Ireland, along with most of the world's countries, have underreported COVID deaths quite significantly. In the case of Ireland, allegedly over 2000 COVID deaths have gone unreported. REally don't see how that's possible when we also count suspected COVID deaths though. Their global estimate death toll is just under 7 million.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-responsible-for-7-000-deaths-in-ireland-us-research-1.4557768?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I also find that hard to believe. We will know next year on a look back on excess deaths what was the real figure.

If I recall correctly the data on rip.ie showed that there was excess deaths last April and May and then until October it was a little below profile. There was a big spike as expected in Jan and Feb correlating broadly to the HSE data, and I expect we may see it under profile now until end year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well if we continue to reward bad behaviour then we are only encouraging it and more to blame than those that are acting recklessly. I must go and organise a big gathering so I can get vaccinated ahead of everyone else.
    People will continue to do what they will so you address the risk factor. That's not a reward that's good public health management. J&J had been provisionally considered for that group anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

bb1234567 wrote: »

Can’t be possible we’ve underreported in Ireland. They seem to have a point in relation to countries with low testing and looser reporting - there likely is an underreporting of Covid related deaths.

But they’ve come up with a Worldwide ratio and then gone back and applied it in a broad stroke to individual countries data to revise upwards Covid deaths. Bit of a nonsense. Probably useful to get a better estimate of worldwide deaths, but would surely make more sense to apply it only to those countries they’ve identified that are lacking in testing and reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

is_that_so wrote: »
    People will continue to do what they will so you address the risk factor. That's not a reward that's good public health management. J&J had been provisionally considered for that group anyway.

Well I better order a marquee and invite a few hundred people to a party, we will get vaccinated sooner, sounds like encouraging bad behaviour to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well I better order a marquee and invite a few hundred people to a party, we will get vaccinated sooner, sounds like encouraging bad behaviour to me.
    It is bad behaviour but it was proposed to look at that group of 32K for vaccination before that happened. And no you won't get done faster you'll just get Gardai shutting you down and probably fining you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I also find that hard to believe. We will know next year on a look back on excess deaths what was the real figure.

If I recall correctly the data on rip.ie showed that there was excess deaths last April and May and then until October it was a little below profile. There was a big spike as expected in Jan and Feb correlating broadly to the HSE data, and I expect we may see it under profile now until end year.

The CSO and the society of actuaries both conclude that the HSE have significantly overreported deaths. Last year there were no excess deaths in Ireland averaged over the year.

Advertisement