Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

How is there still no data for Ireland? The HSE hack is quite some time ago at this stage. This is starting to look extremely incompetent:

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/status/1408068224348868613?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Of course I am but according to you RTE are bombarding us with negative covid news to scare the entire country. If that was the case they would have covid stories on the front page all day every day. The fact is, it is nonsense.

The top 2 stories on RTE.ie right now are:

"Delta variant spread changes 'balance of risk' - Taoiseach"

"'A point of unease' despite falling case numbers - Reid"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Of course I am but according to you RTE are bombarding us with negative covid news to scare the entire country. If that was the case they would have covid stories on the front page all day every day. The fact is, it is nonsense.

Listen to Morning Ireland or Claire Byrne show for one day and tell me they are having balanced and rationale discussions on covid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

When we reach a stage where Sam McConkey is more liberal about indoor dining than the Government, you run out of things to say anymore.

Beyond parody at this stage. It’s when the day of reckoning from the destruction being caused arrives maybe the country will wake up to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

namloc1980 wrote: »

I mean I agree that RTE have been awful throughout but would it not be fairly likely that the biggest news story since... I don't know when really... would end up being the top story on quite a regular basis? And currently the biggest news about that story is that restrictions may not be eased.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

namloc1980 wrote: »

Wow, 2 whole stories. Yeah, they're really shoving this fear narrative down our throats. There are also 2 stories about Hungary and its new laws as well. Is there also an anti Hungary narrative they are pushing too?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Wow, 2 whole stories. Yeah, they're really shoving this fear narrative down our throats. There are also 2 stories about Hungary and its new laws as well. Is there also an anti Hungary narrative they are pushing too?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You said if rte were trying to fear it up they'd have Covid top stories all the time. I literally showed you they do with negative slants right now and do you pivot to whataboutery. LoL.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm sorry sir but you are not the first to try this tact, previously another poster had already tried the "Look, there are no Covid headlines on RTE right this minute so that is definite proof that they have not been pushing any narrative for over a year." That particular poster made a right idiot of himself in fact, I wouldn't like to see it happen again.

It is like deja vu though, because guess what I can see on the RTE website right this very minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    At this rate I could be traveling to the UK to see concerts in the Autumn/Winter 2021.

Very hard to see the Authorities allowing indoor 3Arena sized mass gatherings this year

Agree, its getting absolutely ridiculous, after hearing with positivity (The good positivity that is :) ) that I'm in the festival build preceding Wild Roots festival in Sligo and the putting forward of Electric Picnic to the end of September, this talk of extending lockdown for another three weeks could be the final nail in the coffin for Wild Roots festival. I really hope it goes ahead as the lads running this event went all out to satisfy covid guidelines, by running test events and have their security briefed to handle this 'New Normal'.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it would be fairer to say that RTE can become fixated, quickly, on something and then pound that relentlessly for a while before moving on without much further comment. It doesn't necessarily have to be Covid related.

But that obsessive nature can go both ways. Last week you couldn't go 20 seconds on Radio or TV without hearing the word "antigen test". I would sincerely wonder if they've been referred to once in their current affairs coverage since Monday - it's like it has completely disappeared.

So the focus of their monomania can shift between the speculative dangers ahead, to why aren't we doing more to open up quicker and why are we taking so long.

Current Affairs output has been dominated this week by the Delta Varient, essentially why aren't you announcing that you're delaying the reopening, why aren't you being proactive - complete with plenty of experts saying things are looking dicey etc, etc.

The literal week before this was dominated by questions of antigen tests and why aren't we ploughing ahead with getting international travel going, essentially why aren't you getting on with things - complete with plenty of experts saying things are looking good, look at the rest of Europe etc, etc.

It's pretty schizophrenic. I have no doubt that if a delay to reopening is announced then they'll immediately shift their focus to asking the government why they "jumped the gun" - complete with plenty of experts lining up to say this delay is ridiculous and the hospitality industry is on its knees. It's constant 180 turns.

And then at times they can become so focused on single issues that Covid temporarily recedes into the distance. Remember the ancient days of a month ago? Then it was foreign vulture funds and the housing crisis, every minute of every single day for a while. This week? Barely mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

The worst part of all this will be the spate of book deals from "our hero's" that will come out, the amount of circlejercking will be unbearable. NPHET and Tony are starting to remind me of that episode of the monorail episode of the Simpsons where at the end of it Leonard nemoy says, "well my work here is done" and barney calls him out saying he didn't do anything and he just goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Reassuring Positivity rates in the vaccinated atm.

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1408030153188466694

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

klose wrote: »
    The worst part of all this will be the spate of book deals from "our hero's" that will come out, the amount of circlejercking will be unbearable. NPHET and Tony are starting to remind me of that episode of the monorail episode of the Simpsons where at the end of it Leonard nemoy says, "well my work here is done" and barney calls him out saying he didn't do anything and he just goes off.

The cosmic ballet goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Are taxpaying citizens on this thread happy to pay billions more of debt to keep indoor dining closed? Hospitals are empty of Covid. They are full to brim with other medical issues & Covid is not being picked up on any of them in hospital. Yet we’ll keep destroying our economy for a common cold among the under 40s? Gabriel Scally refused to give the death rate for this age group on radio to Ciara Kelly & tried to go the anecdotal route, I wonder why, could it be the death rate is tiny & doesn’t justify the current restrictions…

Who will pay for the extra staff needed in hospitals, they’re all chronically understaffed.
    Why are taxpayers not being given a choice? NPHET are unelected & the Government are a catastrophic failure to its citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

If anyone now thinks that the reopening of indoor hospitality is going to go ahead on July 5th they need there head checked! I’ll eat a hat if it happens. Not one paper suggesting it’ll open, more so that it’ll be delayed and phased back but if that doesn’t happen indoor hospitality might not return until the autumn. Autumn to me is September onwards!
    The variants and the schools will win!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭prunudo

Are taxpaying citizens on this thread happy to pay billions more of debt to keep indoor dining closed? Hospitals are empty of Covid. They are full to brim with other medical issues & Covid is not being picked up on any of them in hospital. Yet we’ll keep destroying our economy for a common cold among the under 40s? Gabriel Scally refused to give the death rate for this age group on radio to Ciara Kelly & tried to go the anecdotal route, I wonder why, could it be the death rate is tiny & doesn’t justify the current restrictions…

Who will pay for the extra staff needed in hospitals, they’re all chronically understaffed.
    Why are taxpayers not being given a choice? NPHET are unelected & the Government are a catastrophic failure to its citizens.

What I can't understand is how the cabinet ministers are so detached from the mood of the public and reality of the figures. They must be surrounded by advisors who are building up the delta fear and painting everything in the most negative light possible.

I'm still waiting for some journalist, or public figure to shout stop to this madness. All I see is the usual nodding dogs and sheep in the media lapping up everything they're told.
    Where are the critics or journalists who ask difficult questions and not be fobbed off by the usual political/isag guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

prunudo wrote: »
    What I can't understand is how the cabinet ministers are so detached from the mood of the public and reality of the figures. They must be surrounded by advisors who are building up the delta fear and painting everything in the most negative light possible.

That’s all it is pure and utter fear that has been induced by NPHET and ISAG!
    We’ve come along way and vaccines are being pumped out! The Uk has indoor still open even with delta! Hospitals have not and I’ll emphasise this HAVE NOT become overwhelmed in any way! Get the **** on with things and stop being shilliky fûckers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Cork2021 wrote: »
    We’ve come along way and vaccines are being pumped out! The Uk has indoor still open even with delta! Hospitals have not and I’ll emphasise this HAVE NOT become overwhelmed in any way! Get the **** on with things and stop being shilliky fûckers!!

Are there any other countries in the EU where indoor dining is still closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I’m no conspiracy theorist but I reckon this is going to go one of two ways: Dr. Tony will release the post-hack death numbers to shock us all into accepting another “2-3” weeks of this nonsense, or Micheál will emerge from battle victorious with a fresh point in his hand and we’ll all rejoice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Golfman64 wrote: »

Not as far as I can tell, although many have capacity restrictions and some require negative test or covid pass.

Lumen wrote: »
    Not as far as I can tell, although many have capacity restrictions and some require negative test or covid pass.

So antigen tests and pints- Tony’s worst nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Everywhere is open as far as I know, but even if it wasnt, it isnt an issue on the continent as people generally sit outside in the summer.
    If you ask an owner of some dark irish pub in a dungeon basement somewhere in Europe you'll be told that they do almost no business during the summer as nobody wants to be indoors. The only pubs and restaurants that keep ticking over in the summer are the ones that have a nice big terrace that people can sit out in the fresh air and sunshine, and thats before Covid.

On the continent opening indoors in the summer isnt going to create a massive infection problem as nobody wants to be indoors in the summer.
    In Ireland, its a very different story so a very different decision that NPHET has to make and way more laden with risk than for the continent.

just this one time NPHET might actually have a point in being anxious in opening indoors .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Could the fear and doom merchants not stick to the restrictions thread?

It’s hard work wading through dozens of pages of incessant negativity, from the same half dozen, on a thread which should be a source of hope now that everything is opening up due to the fantastic vaccination program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this - is there another country on earth with restaurants currently closed? No smart ars3 answers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Could the fear and doom merchants not stick to the restrictions thread?

It’s hard work wading through dozens of pages of incessant negativity, from the same half dozen, on a thread which should be a source of hope now that everything is opening up due to the fantastic vaccination program.
    Eh? The Restrictions thread has been the ebulliently optimistic one throughout the entire pandemic, no?

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a definitive answer to this - is there another country on earth with restaurants currently closed? No smart ars3 answers please.

I’ve been searching for restrictions in some of the countries experiencing high numbers of cases, ignoring the likes of Brazil and Russia because their leaders aren’t very nice. Seems like Argentina is only doing takeaway/delivery from restaurants and bars. Colombia announces easing of restrictions recently; concerts, sporting events and nightclubs can allow 25% capacity in cities where ICU beds are at less than 85% capacity. This can rise to 50% capacity in cities where 70% of the population had its vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Did you not say you'd arranged to get your vax ~6 weeks earlier than the rest of your cohort despite having no underlying conditions?
    I'm sure I'll be more relaxed when I get my vax and my parents have their second vax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The choice of what exactly as a tax payer? Me as a tax payer with no clue of epidemiology should get to chose when we open up, is that what you're saying?

You also keep saying we shouldn't accept it, what do you suggest we do, what are you yourself going to do? Getting annoyed on an internet forum isn't really going to do much is it!

As someone else has said, the decision isn't in my hands so not going to get worked up about it, will still go to work every day etc.

• Advertisement

36 in hospital, 13 in ICU according to Paul Reid. 3.9m vaccine doses administered.

Advertisement