Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

VG31 wrote: »
    I've no doubt they will be dropped this year in the US. Europe will hopefully follow.

I agree and it's of particular relevance in open, individualistic societies like ours that place importance in seeing other's facial expressions. It may not matter so much in more anonymous societies such as China.

More importantly, masks are extremely difficult for the deaf and hard of hearing as they cannot lip read and it can be harder to be understood.

Once everyone who wants to be has been vaccinated , I'm not going to feel too guilty about dragging out my drinks as long as possible. Until then I'm avoiding eating or drinking on public transport as much as possible.

I am however fully in favour of wearing a mask on public transport if you're coughing and sneezing. Or better still avoid it all together. That will probably be more likely to come from societal pressure then an actual rule though.

I hope very much you're right. I have for some time thought that the US would be the best place to be in. I discovered an airline that doesn't require the passenger to wear a mask in business class as long as they're lying down. For a long haul flight it'd be ideal. Just lie down for the flight and go to sleep.

Yes, they have a huge transformative effect on society.

I'll be keeping my eye on the US. The CDC often move quickly. I expect the pressure to lift the mandate to intensify.

We'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Economics101

Gortanna wrote: »

If there is anything more infuriating than the excessive zeal and control freakery of some of our public health medics it is the crazy denialism of some Republicans in the US. Some of them have made vaccination and mask wearing pert of the culture wars. So please spare us the from any nonsense form the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Looking back now I remember when I grasped this secondary use of masks thinking that this may be our way to negate the need for social distancing entirely. How wrong I was :o

I thought the same lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

JRant wrote: »
    We should take what experts say into account.

Take our current CMO, who's remit is to advise government

Maybe I'm harsh. Maybe I'm underestimating the position of CMO. I don't think our CMO is an expert. He may be excellent at dissemination of information received from experts. Whether he is good at this or not, I do not think that makes him an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1408787818537697280

As of midnight, Friday 25th June, we are reporting
    443*
    confirmed cases of #COVID19.

13 in ICU. 43 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

Hoping the increase in cases is not a trend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

This week compared to last.

93 more cases (2248 v 2341)
    5 fewer in hospital (48 v 43)
    1 fewer in ICU (13 v 14)

I thought we'd have a higher weekly rise when you consider we had cluster outbreaks in Sligo, Athlone and Waterford accounting for 140 cases thus far.

The hospital situation remains in a very stable position and 4M adults has received at least 1 dose of vaccines while the majority of over 70s are fully vaccinated. Two key metrics that should be focused on when the government decide on the next easing of restrictions this Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

For a science correspondent, he doesn’t really seem to be about the science at all.

He knows **** all

The piece he did last night was a disgrace

Disgusting that misinformation like that is being put out by the national broadcaster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

He knows **** all

The piece he did last night was a disgrace

Disgusting that misinformation like that is being put out by the national broadcaster

He tried to blame the Californian Wild Fires last summer on climate change....moron, he might as well have blamed the Fire gods.

Also Covid...

It's dangerous to have a man like him in his position.

If there is anything more infuriating than the excessive zeal and control freakery of some of our public health medics it is the crazy denialism of some Republicans in the US. Some of them have made vaccination and mask wearing pert of the culture wars. So please spare us the from any nonsense form the GOP.

It was a reply to another poster. You aren't required to read the article.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

VG31 wrote: »
    Why would they still be mandatory after the pandemic ends? Liquids are not comparable, the terrorist thread is still an issue, the coronavirus will not be within a few years. We didn't wear masks on planes before to protect against the flu, which is what the coronavirus will end up like in terms of impact.

Also not being able to take liquids on board is a minor inconvenience. Wearing a mask continuously for hours is not minor (IMO).

Having worn a mask onboard multiple flights of up to 8 hours for the last 13 months I can tell you that it’s a minor inconvenience (IMO)
    Annoying but not an imposition of tyranny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personally I think if they dont open indoor dining and pubs the numbers will rise even more . Instead of eating in controlled environments people will move to houses and parties . Enough is enough for young people now and they need an outlet or they will gather in crowds with no controls whatsoever .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Personally I think if they dont open indoor dining and pubs the numbers will rise even more . Instead of eating in controlled environments people will move to houses and parties . Enough is enough for young people now and they need an outlet or they will gather in crowds with no controls whatsoever .

I'm of a similar view tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Exactly. Pubs should put a notice on the door saying those vaccinated only recommended indoors. If someone unvaccinated decides to come in and gets hospitalised as a result it's their own lookout and likewise if there's no issue that's fine too. Pubs shouldn't have to police or ask if someone is vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very true but the naivety of the government/NPHET will stop that

They honestly think all young people will listen to them and stay at home

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very true but the naivety of the government/NPHET will stop that

They honestly think all young people will listen to them and stay at home

I think its what happened at Christmas has the. Paralysed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Turtwig wrote: »
    Maybe I'm harsh. Maybe I'm underestimating the position of CMO. I don't think our CMO is an expert. He may be excellent at dissemination of information received from experts. Whether he is good at this or not, I do not think that makes him an expert.

He very much puts himself forward as an expert, that's the problem. At the recent committee meeting with TDs he had to get his spoke in first at every occasion instead of letting the people at the table who may actually know what they are talking about field the questions. I would disagree he's a good communicator though. He has a very abrasive style, unlike say Glynn who comes across as far more sincere and knowledgeable.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Stheno wrote: »
    I think its what happened at Christmas has the. Paralysed tbh

Yeah but it's mad comparing the two scenarios

We had no vaccines at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Of course the numbers will go up more, people are planning days out and taking time off work to meet up with friends.

They will still meet up and drink it will just be in a house instead of in a controlled environment.

The people making decisions and the people here who are backing the government are out of touch with how the real world works.

Same as Christmas closing everything for months and saying enjoy yourself for a few weeks and wondering why cases skyrocketed.

If they stayed at level 3 we would have been better off.

Every other country in the world understand it, I just wonder does nphet have anybody who understands human behaviour and take that into account when making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yeah but it's mad comparing the two scenarios

We had no vaccines at Christmas

Talking of the vaccines and Christmas, wasn't it around that time they were approved and can we honestly say some 6 months later were actually in a better place in terms of living ?. Its been a very tough year with street parties turning into battle zones, protests and general horrible advice and quotes from members of our government and health officials

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Talking of the vaccines and Christmas, wasn't it around that time they were approved and can we honestly say some 6 months later were actually in a better place in terms of living ?. Its been a very tough year with street parties turning into battle zones, protests and general horrible advice and quotes from members of our government and health officials

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

iamwhoiam wrote:

They have outlets,outdoor dining, outdoor pubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

eagle eye wrote: »

It's freezing and it's only just 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There is not enough capacity . That is the huge issue . In cities you need to book in advance and the capicity is way down .
    I dont need to go out at night , am retired and so are all my friends , we can meet during the day and pick quiet times
    Young people need to meet in the evening and the less controlled outlets for them the bigger chance of house parties and gatherings in uncontrolled spaces
    Its actually logical , the less space to spread out the bigger the crowds in what is available .

Wear a jacket.

iamwhoiam wrote:
    There is not enough capacity . That is the huge issue . In cities you need to book in advance and the capicity is way down . I dont need to go out at night , am retired and so are all my friends , we can meet during the day and pick quiet times Young people need to meet in the evening and the less controlled outlets for them the bigger chance of house parties and gatherings in uncontrolled spaces Its actually logical , the less space to spread out the bigger the crowds in what is available .
    Yeah, the more people around the more likely someone will have a house party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Nightclubs reopen in the Netherlands tonight. Among the highest Covid case rates in Europe.

Italy, the epicentre of Covid deaths one year ago is fully reopen.

Ireland considering delaying reopening indoor dining, been closed 7 months now. Among the lowest case rates in Europe and among highest uptake of vaccines in the EU.

It's hard to fathom how much I hate this country right now. Embarrassed to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Clearly not someone who’s been around Dublin City centre since outdoor dining was permitted.

Not nearly enough supply for the pent up demand.

Large crowds wandering around from pub to pub asking about available tables.

The whole place wedged with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭giveitholly

No they don't,no outdoor dining or pubs in my area,so anyone who wants a meal or drink has to travel which means even more mixing,I was out for a walk yesterday evening around 8ish,there was a slight mist and breeze and felt about 10c,not too many people would fancy a meal in those conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Do they not have clothes to keep warm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭prunudo

The fact people feel the need to make glib comments about wearing jackets and clothes obviously have no interest in understanding why outdoor dining can only ever be a short term means for tiding over businesses until full reopening happens asap.
    Having a 3 course meal while layered up in jackets and hats doesn't really cut it. Yes we have nice days in Ireland but they are far outstripped by the misty windy cold and miserable days.

Advertisement