Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

prunudo wrote: »
    The fact people feel the need to make glib comments about wearing jackets and clothes obviously have no interest in understanding why outdoor dining can only ever be a short term means for tiding over businesses until full reopening happens asap.
    Having a 3 course meal while layered up in jackets and hats doesn't really cut it. Yes we have nice days in Ireland but they are far outstripped by the misty windy cold and miserable days.

It's a joke.

It's nightmare to schedule staff as well.

You could be mobbed or empty, depending on the weather, which you won't know until the time.

A wet weekend is devastating for an outdoor dining only facility....absolutely devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Swaine wrote: »
    Nightclubs reopen in the Netherlands tonight. Among the highest Covid case rates in Europe.

Italy, the epicentre of Covid deaths one year ago is fully reopen.

Ireland considering delaying reopening indoor dining, been closed 7 months now. Among the lowest case rates in Europe and among highest uptake of vaccines in the EU.

It's hard to fathom how much I hate this country right now. Embarrassed to be Irish.

Ireland has one of the highest, not the lowest as far as I can see: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Has the indoor dining and drinking in hotels caused an increase in cases/hospitalisations? I don't think so, so should this not be considered as a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Nightclubs reopen in the Netherlands tonight. Among the highest Covid case rates in Europe.

Ireland considering delaying reopening indoor dining, been closed 7 months now. Among the lowest case rates in Europe and among highest uptake of vaccines in the EU.

It's hard to fathom how much I hate this country right now. Embarrassed to be Irish.

Allegedly we love the craic tho

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wear a jacket.

Amazing. Something doesn’t suit you reopening, close it down. Something doesn’t suit someone else - a smart ass comment about jackets.

Some people really don’t get it. Pulling the ladder up on young people / those not scared tbh. Not to mention the businesses and workers being shafted. I should tell the restaurant near me that has no outdoor area to wear a jacket. See what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

From today in Poland.

Weddings 200 people aloud
    not including staff and does not include vaccinated or under 12 year olds.

Public transport can operate at 100% capacity mask mandatory.

Indoor dining restaurants increased to 75% capacity.

Hotels are aloud to cater for 75% of their capacity.
    Night clus open 150 people max.
    Bars have been open since April as has outdoor dining.

No restrictions on retail.

Cinemas can operate at 75% capacity.

Outdoor events small 500 people large 50% of capacity.
    Basically everything open with some restrictions on numbers.
    Final lifting of remaining restrictions to be reassessed in September.
    Unless the target of 30million vaccinated is reached sooner
    Cases today 100
    Deaths 21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Amazing. Something doesn’t suit you reopening, close it down. Something doesn’t suit someone else - a smart ass comment about jackets.

Some people really don’t get it. Pulling the ladder up on young people / those not scared tbh. Not to mention the businesses and workers being shafted. I should tell the restaurant near me that has no outdoor area to wear a jacket. See what they say.

Yeah as I have said before this pandemic has really shown up the self righteous in this country,How dare anyone try get on with their lives or some business owners try and survive because some few nosebodies are pontifying about their own health. And the majority of these people have broken some sort of restriction themselves and don't see the irony of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The hospital situation remains in a very stable position and 4M adults has received at least 1 dose of vaccines while the majority of over 70s are fully vaccinated. Two key metrics that should be focused on when the government decide on the next easing of restrictions this Thursday.

Your Maths is a bit off there. 3.7m adults. Shy of 70% have 1 dose. If we say 70% have 1 dose that's 2.59m people that have had their first dose and a good chunk of them are fully vaccinated. That's not 4 million people. Its 2.59M people who have at least 1 jab in their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Allegedly we love the craic tho

Yep, The Fighting Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yep, The Fighting Irish

The land of saint and scholars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

So I just read this article recently:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-travel-latest-how-20874130

"Once I went through Dublin Airport in the last year for a European Council meeting, and it was really, really busy because it takes a long time to check everybody’s producing documents, pieces of paper or screenshots to show that they’ve been vaccinated or they’ve done a negative test", TD Smyth said.

Passenger numbers are down, it's definitely not that busy. Also, how long it takes to look at one document? 2-3 seconds? Mr. Smyth please...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Swaine wrote:

So let me get this right? You hate that we are doing well in the battle with covid?
    You consider the restrictions ridiculous so you want us to do worse against covid?
    Reason we are doing so well is the restrictions.

So let me get this right? You hate that we are doing well in the battle with covid?
    You consider the restrictions ridiculous so you want us to do worse against covid?

Three things there....

One, there is no conclusive evidence anywhere that severe restrictions work, it depends on how you wish to read data or believe that a government can actually control an invisible pathogen...

Two, restrictions, especially severe restrictions like ours costs an absolute fortune that has to be paid back, which will require a robust economy which we have severely damaged.

Three, the state of the nations mental health and the health of the economy should never be handed over to unelected bureaucrats for any amount of time, let alone 16 months....

It's how you end up with farcical "pilot" events that which we can measure up against the packed stadiums all across Europe for the last few weeks.

We are only 16 months into a societal issue that will span years.....there is a good reason there isn't a country on the planet who hasn't copied us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Diabhalta wrote: »
    So I just read this article recently:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-travel-latest-how-20874130

"Once I went through Dublin Airport in the last year for a European Council meeting, and it was really, really busy because it takes a long time to check everybody’s producing documents, pieces of paper or screenshots to show that they’ve been vaccinated or they’ve done a negative test", TD Smyth said.

Passenger numbers are down, it's definitely not that busy. Also, how long it takes to look at one document? 2-3 seconds? Mr. Smyth please...

Mod

You are still threadbanned

See you in two weeks, still not in this thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

We’re not even winning the “battle” with Covid. We’re the 12th worst country in Europe in terms of cases. We feel so restricted here and live in so much of a bubble, that we think we must be doing well, but we’re actually not. We look at full (or nearly full) stadiums in Europe and think they must be mad, but a lot of them have lower cases numbers than us. We neither have the freedom of other countries, nor the lower cases numbers. There’s no nuance in our approach. It’s the lockdown approach or nothing, and we’re getting further and further into debt the longer this goes on.

This is no longer a “battle”. It’s something we have to live with and make smart choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

interesting article on brendan o Connors show talking about the damage lockdown has done to older people. gp saying they are seeing a huge increase in breakage, osteoporosis and general fragility. we need to get moving !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's freezing and it's only just 5pm

I'm just back after a lovely meal at a restaurant - yes it wasn't terribly warm outside, but it's like 15 degrees (in co. Kildare, your mileage may wary). I did put my jacket on, but it was still nice. I'm hoping they'll keep the outdoor dining going even after indoor is opened.

Edit: just to add that everywhere was absolutely packed, queues to the pubs and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

interesting article on brendan o Connors show talking about the damage lockdown has done to older people. gp saying they are seeing a huge increase in breakage, osteoporosis and general fragility. we need to get moving !

A consultant geriatrician in Tallght Hospital said the same thing last year after people were cocooning .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Your Maths is a bit off there. 3.7m adults. Shy of 70% have 1 dose. If we say 70% have 1 dose that's 2.59m people that have had their first dose and a good chunk of them are fully vaccinated. That's not 4 million people. Its 2.59M people who have at least 1 jab in their arm.

My maths is fine. As Paul Reid stated today almost 4M vaccines in total administered and it will be over 4M by Thursday, may have worded it word but that was the point I was making.

According to some in media one would think it was December with nobody vaccinated.

One, there is no conclusive evidence anywhere that severe restrictions work, it depends on how you wish to read data or believe that a government can actually control an invisible pathogen...
    Is there data that proves that it doesn't work? If not then looking at how countries have done is the only way to go. Compare us to other countries who didn't have restrictions like is and tell me where did as well as us.
    Two, restrictions, especially severe restrictions like ours costs an absolute fortune that has to be paid back, which will require a robust economy which we have severely damaged.
    We did nothing wrong, that's the people of Ireland, and paid billions to save the Deutschbank like it was our fault.
    We've been through four recessions in my lifetime, it's nothing new to have bug tax bills every week for me.
    Three, the state of the nations mental health and the health of the economy should never be handed over to unelected bureaucrats for any amount of time, let alone 16 months....
    Have you stats to back this up?

• Advertisement

Is there data that proves that it doesn't work? If not then looking at how countries have done is the only way to go. Compare us to other countries who didn't have restrictions like is and tell me where did as well as us.

We did nothing wrong, that's the people of Ireland, and paid billions to save the Deutschbank like it was our fault.
    We've been through four recessions in my lifetime, it's nothing new to have bug tax bills every week for me.

Yes, you just need to look at countries and states that didn’t lockdown and bodies didn’t pile up in the streets and hospitals weren’t overrun.

If lockdown was so effective, surely we’d have 0 cases after half a year of it…

You are the one who thinks our restrictions are working....there is no evidence that they are...and you want me to provide evidence to you? You made the assertion....

So we have a track record of consistently destroying our economy, what exactly is your point? We can do it again?

Have I stats to back up that the severe lock downs are having an adverse effect on the mental health of the population or stats to back up how much harm we are doing to our economy by borrowing billions to keep businesses shut down?

You are the one who thinks our restrictions are working....there is no evidence that they are...and you want me to provide evidence to you? You made the assertion....
    I didn't come up with that, I quoted somebody who said it.
    So we have a track record of consistently destroying our economy, what exactly is your point? We can do it again?
    It's just a part of life.
    Have I stats to back up that the severe lock downs are having an adverse effect on the mental health of the population or stats to back up how much harm we are doing to our economy by borrowing billions to keep businesses shut down?
    Yes, show me the numbers.

I didn't come up with that, I quoted somebody who said it.

It's just a part of life.

Yes, show me the numbers.

Fair clear what you said to me.

A series of Devastating recessions over a relatively short space of time should indicate how we seem to have a dysfunctional system of governance.

It is only a factor of life in poorly run societies.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-to-have-highest-debt-per-head-in-europe-this-year-1.4503652

This article predates the 7 and a half month lock down we are gradually being released from, at a slower pace than every where else.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/afraid-frozen-stuck-the-mental-health-pandemic-and-how-to-fight-it-1.4388578

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How are the cases still high? Is it the easy fast spread of the Delta variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

443 today but hospital numbers still low which is good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

How many deaths has there been over the past four weeks? Is the HSE hack the reason they are not reporting deaths or has there simply been none? Surely you don't need an IT system to tell you if someone has died from Covid. I get the feeling if there were loads of deaths every day they wouldn't be shy in telling us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Just walked past Capel St and it is mobbed!

Hope Tony isn’t about.

Very strange (but great) seeing the street packed and no space to move.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

No, just the other day we only had 200 delta cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

PopTarts wrote: »
    Just walked past Capel St and it is mobbed!

Hope Tony isn’t about.

Very strange (but great) seeing the street packed and no space to move.

The sad thing is this could be controlled better by using antigen testing & controlled environments.

Advertisement