Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

shockframe wrote: »
    I'd have a fair degree of respect for Varadkar on how he had to deal with the initial lockdown.
    Ah now - he had the far easier job. The reins were then passed over for the contentious part and he sniped from the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ficheall wrote: »
    Ah now - he had the far easier job. The reins were then passed over for the contentious part and he sniped from the background.

I'd broadly agree with this but I would prefer him to be in the position of power now in regards to reopening. He was slaughtered for chlenging NPHET but they should not be above criticism or legitimate questions. I feel Varadkar over MM is more likely to not only question but challenge NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Just seen a video of the scenes from gay pride last night and surprised Holohan hasnt tweeted out? is he afraid to after the last one aged bad or is he unwilling to call out the gay section of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd broadly agree with this but I would prefer him to be in the position of power now in regards to reopening. He was slaughtered for chlenging NPHET but they should not be above criticism or legitimate questions. I feel Varadkar over MM is more likely to not only question but challenge NPHET
    MM does seem pretty useless in the role, whether you're pro or against restrictions, but leo just comes across as a wormy character.. Neither great options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

ISAG on Brendan O’Connor. Anthony Doom and Gloom. Why? Where are other medical experts & professors who differ from ISAG.
    Another commentator saying ‘oh Christmas is the reason to keep indoor dining closed in July’. I would think I don’t even need to start on the obvious vaccination programme and low hospital numbers…
    Hope the current government parties don’t get a single vote again. Can’t stand Sinn Féin but they are in power in the North where they’re more open with indoor dining & currently announced a proper Greenlist for travel too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

ISAG on Brendan O’Connor. Anthony Doom and Gloom. Why? Where are other medical experts & professors who differ from ISAG.
    Another commentator saying ‘oh Christmas is the reason to keep indoor dining closed in July’. I would think I don’t even need to start on the obvious vaccination programme and low hospital numbers…
    Hope the current government parties don’t get a single vote again. Can’t stand Sinn Féin but they are in power in the North where they’re more open with indoor dining & currently announced a proper Greenlist for travel too.

Did he not have Kingston Mills on yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Sunday Indo:

The Cabinet is expected to postpone the further reopening of the country from July 5 to July 26 at the latest, pending the advice of Nphet, the scientific body advising the Government on Covid-19.

However, differences are emerging between Taoiseach Micheál Martin and Tánaiste Leo Varadkar on the issue, the Sunday Independent has learned.

Mr Varadkar has significant concerns about the tourism and hospitality sectors if the scheduled reopening tomorrow week is postponed without absolute certainty about when indoor dining will be allowed and other restrictions lifted.

But Mr Martin is worried there could be up to 2,000 Delta variant cases a day here by the end of July if reopening goes ahead on July 5 — potentially leading to a significant tightening of restrictions in August.

So it's July 26th now and not July 19th?

Ah sure add on an extra week there.
    Sure what's the rush.

By the time July 20th-21st comes around it will be 5 weeks to the full reopening of schools.
    Have a guess what's going to happen to the July 26th reopening then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Turtwig wrote: »
    Gove's statement was still a terrible statement. There is a growing anti-intellectual sentiment in some parts of the world. It may take hold here. I sincerely hope it doesn't.

Do you think the ongoing disingenuous campaign of fear mongering from ISAG will feed or counteract this growing anti-intellectual sentiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

So it's July 26th now and not July 19th?

Ah sure add on an extra week there.
    Sure what's the rush.

By the time July 20th-21st comes around it will be 5 weeks to the full reopening of schools.
    Have a guess what's going to happen to the July 26th reopening then?

If they go ahead with this, I would suggest that it will be extended in the week or two coming up to the 26th.
    With their performance so far, I cannot see them reopening in time for the August bank holiday. Especially with that weekend being the first one after reopening.

Unless this is some sort of gaslighting campaign to get everyone riled up enough that they look like the right sound lads when they announce the reopening for the 5th anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Did he not have Kingston Mills on yesterday?

Does that make it ok that someone is on whose leaked emails state their aims re a Covid are to increase anxiety & mislead the public and Government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just seen a video of the scenes from gay pride last night and surprised Holohan hasnt tweeted out? is he afraid to after the last one aged bad or is he unwilling to call out the gay section of society.

He'd be seen as a homophobe or something, and that wouldnt help his over inflated ego

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Vicxas wrote: »
    He'd be seen as a homophobe or something, and that wouldnt help is over inflated ego

I visited an "outdoor pub" last night, packed to the gate , you have to queue inside to get a drink, a queue for the toilets, if all the pubs were open there would be alot less inside, open the rest and spread out the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I visited an "outdoor pub" last night, packed to the gate , you have to queue inside to get a drink, a queue for the toilets, if all the pubs were open there would be alot less inside, open the rest and spread out the crowd.

Haven't been anywhere since the "outdoor summer" started that hasnt been rammed with people.

Outdoor dining not near enough of a supply for the demand currently to go out and meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I heard a suggestion recently. What about very small scale indoor reopening. Let a restaurant have 10 people inside.

Its not worth it for any restaurant currently closed to justify opening but would allow anywhere partially open add a few very spread out seats.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I heard a suggestion recently. What about very small scale indoor reopening. Let a restaurant have 10 people inside.

Its not worth it for any restaurant currently closed to justify opening but would allow anywhere partially open add a few very spread out seats.
    Why not open indoors for vaccinated people?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stheno wrote: »

I think so too , rather than not open at all allow vaccinated indoors until the 19th and at least get staff back and some sort of income for owners

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think so too , rather than not open at all allow vaccinated indoors until the 19th and at least get staff back and some sort of income for owners

Kingston Mills suggested it yesterday

Were it to happen ideally rollout of AZ and J and J could be expanded e.g. via pharmacies to vax younger people quicker who are happy to get them of course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think we all know that 5th July is hugely unlikely now based on what’s coming out and that essentially means summer is cancelled.

We just don’t do 2 week extensions. It will be at least 4 and then we’ll need to wait until after the bank holiday at least and be cautious about schools.

So September sounds about right for Ireland. Months after the rest of the world.

It just men’s people will book foreign holidays after July 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Probably won't work ,the majority of the age group that are vaccinated are too afraid of the delta variant

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Seems because there's some terror of discrimination here that will result in a lowest common denominator, anti vaxxer or privacy of data lobby, that's seeing any kind of ID type systems as a total anathema, driving the agenda in much of Europe and resulting in huge damage to business and no return to normality.

There should be a vaccine bonus in the sense that you should be able to do more stuff. Instead, we seem to have no plan and just won't open things at all until the virus completely disappears, which it may never do.

We need to begin to let those vaccinated do more.

At the point where anyone who wants to be vaccinated can be, I think the argument that it's unfair is gone. That's where we'll be soon enough.

At the moment you'd have uproar from the <35s as they have been offered one yet, but we also need to keep things flowing economically and there are plenty fully vaccinated who could be doing things and that will keep expanding down the age range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

ridiculous. ive never had covid, do you think you have the right to deny my entry to a shop or restaurant?

it should be those who have tested positive for covid and carry the disease who should be denied entry to business. not the heatlhy people in society. if you think for one minute that healthy members of the public are going accept this nonsense your dead wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

Nozebleed wrote: »
    ridiculous. ive never had covid, do you think you have the right to deny my entry to a shop or restaurant?

it should be those who have tested positive for covid and carry the disease who should be denied entry to business. not the heatlhy people in society. if you think for one minute that healthy members of the public are going accept this nonsense your dead wrong.

The think is, you don’t know if you have COVID right now, and may be spreading it to close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

As good an option as any.

Probably need a vaccine passport system before we do that though.

I hate the idea of a bonus for vaccinated people when large sections of society don't have an option to be vaccinated.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Probably won't work ,the majority of the age group that are vaccinated are too afraid of the delta variant

Are you sure ? Have you anything to base that on ? All my siblings and friends are all in older age group and delighted to be out and meeting up for lunch and coffee and a chat .

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Well without the capacity to test and the refusal to use antigen tests, you could be free from covid this morning and have it, without knowing, tomorrow morning.

That's the problem with this thing.

There never will be thr capacity to test in demand with PCR as it's too cumbersome and far too expensive. But we could be doing it with antigen tests but, there's too much risk you might jab the swab in your eye or drink the test solution, according to Dr Patronising. I mean it's surprising they even let you use scissors.

There's growing evidence that the vaccines are also substantially cutting transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Are you sure ? Have you anything to base that on ? All my siblings and friends are all in older age group and delighted to be out and meeting up for lunch and coffee and a chat .

Same as you based your counter argument on, family friends ect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I don't know anyone who is vaccinated that has any concerns about delta, or covid for that matter, they just want to move on, living is a risk

You mean your family and friends in older age group are afraid of the delta variant despite being fully vaccinated . ? Thats sad really as they have no benefit at all from the vaccine so if still afraid

I don't know anyone who is vaccinated that has any concerns about delta, or covid for that matter, they just want to move on, living is a risk

All my neighbours , friends , siblings etc are fully vaccinated and delighted eating out and meeting up . I personally cant wait to go away for a break and enjoy dining indoors or outdoors .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How do you prove you are vaccinated? Those cards are easily copied. Not going to work anyway, nightmare for pubs and nothing to stop them letting anyone in

Advertisement