Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As good an option as any.

Probably need a vaccine passport system before we do that though.

I hate the idea of a bonus for vaccinated people when large sections of society don't have an option to be vaccinated.

I'd hope they'd expand the rollout of j and j at least to the under 50s via pharmacies if people want it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You mean your family and friends in older age group are afraid of the delta variant despite being fully vaccinated . ? Thats sad really as they have no benefit at all from the vaccine so if still afraid

Yes it is sad,but first thing my mother told me on the phone was there is a 20% increase of delta variant cases, tried to explain what the numbers actually mean but,unfortunately her age group and friends just listen to rte

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Paddy Mallon reckons delaying hospitality by 2 weeks won't stop the rise in cases

https://twitter.com/SiCarswell/status/1409116072729616392?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd hope they'd expand the rollout of j and j at least to the under 50s via pharmacies if people want it

I think this will happen

The majority of over 50s who are not vaccinated have not received it by choice . Most will not go to pharmacy to get it .
    So it’s time to open them up to whomever wants it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I heard a suggestion recently. What about very small scale indoor reopening. Let a restaurant have 10 people inside.

Its not worth it for any restaurant currently closed to justify opening but would allow anywhere partially open add a few very spread out seats.
    The USA have reopened indoor dining from at least May 1st. We aren’t that far behind them on overall vaccination levels at this point (we were on May 1st)
    They have different occupancy restrictions in various states (50%, 75%)

No reason why we can’t do similar. Indoor dining/pubs at 50% occupancy.
    If they want to be cautious start at 25% and work upwards over a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Personally would sacrifice international travel reopening if it means we can open up society here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Personally would sacrifice international travel reopening if it means we can open up society here

The travel cert is going ahead. It’s good to see. No reason why. Thousands getting jabbed everyday. Families finally get reunited.

At least with international travel, you have a very good idea if the person sitting next to you is vaccinated, negative test or recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So so many hoping to travel to see their children and grandchildren who they haven’t seen in 18 months . I wouldn’t be too quick to sacrifice it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It’s actually quite disconcerting to see how many people are fine with keeping pubs closed for another 2-3 weeks like it’s nothing. If you remember pre-Covid times, how much of a palaver there was every year re pubs opening up for Good Friday - for ONE DAY - and how much they lobbied to open, how much extra money it would generate for the exchequer, etc. Now imagine, many of same businesses have been closed since March 2020. These 3 weeks are the equivalent of 21 Good Fridays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Hellrazer wrote: »
    You know it actually wont - the sheer amount of people Ive spoken to who are absolutely terrified of delta is scary -all because they are RTE watchers - I would say mainly in the 50 - 65 age group.

The ‘sheer amount’? They are ‘absolutely terrified’? How many, roughly, would you be talking to about their deepest fears, on an average day? Would it be 20 or 30, probably more like 50 if it’s a ‘sheer amount’ type of number.

In contrast to your experiences I’ve been out drinking several times since beginning of the month with people in their 50s and, would you credit it, Covid barely got a mention! Perhaps they were simply putting a brave face on it and secretly they were ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED BECAUSE OF RTÉ.

My old man in in his 80s and couldn’t give 1 fūck about Delta. Nor could any of his mates, at least not that I hear anyway.

Who are you talking to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

interesting article on brendan o Connors show talking about the damage lockdown has done to older people. gp saying they are seeing a huge increase in breakage, osteoporosis and general fragility. we need to get moving !

Exercise within 5km was always allowed, even during the strictest lockdown. My mum is in her mid eighties and could still go for a daily walk with a friend, right through lockdown.

Ther may have needed to be reassured that they could coccoon and still get out for exercise but there was no need to stop moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Thats nice for you. There are people who havent seen close family in 2 years at this point. Skme low paid foreign workers in this country havent seen their own kids in a long time as they continie to be locked up in this country. Did that cross your mind?

Seems because there's some terror of discrimination here that will result in a lowest common denominator, anti vaxxer or privacy of data lobby, that's seeing any kind of ID type systems as a total anathema, driving the agenda in much of Europe and resulting in huge damage to business and no return to normality.

There should be a vaccine bonus in the sense that you should be able to do more stuff. Instead, we seem to have no plan and just won't open things at all until the virus completely disappears, which it may never do.

We need to begin to let those vaccinated do more.

At the point where anyone who wants to be vaccinated can be, I think the argument that it's unfair is gone. That's where we'll be soon enough.

At the moment you'd have uproar from the <35s as they have been offered one yet, but we also need to keep things flowing economically and there are plenty fully vaccinated who could be doing things and that will keep expanding down the age range.

Or everyone could be free to exercise their inalienable rights, all of which have been suspended since March 2020, regardless of whether they take a vaccine or not.

Exercise within 5km was always allowed, even during the strictest lockdown. My mum is in her mid eighties and could still go for a daily walk with a friend, right through lockdown.

Ther may have needed to be reassured that they could coccoon and still get out for exercise but there was no need to stop moving.

Your forgetting about the older who required home help or physio to stay active.
    This was all curtailed for nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

There is a map of Europe being shared on Facebook and depicting the Republic of Ireland in red and the rest of Europe in green because of our government's ban on indoor-dining (except for residents of hotels).

Is our country the only one that has such a ban? If it is, why? After all, this is not the only European country with a high level of cases of the Delta variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Paddy Mallon reckons delaying hospitality by 2 weeks won't stop the rise in cases

https://twitter.com/SiCarswell/status/1409116072729616392?s=19

Thatll be the last time we'll hear from Paddy Mallon on RTE I'd say. Not enough doom and fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Surely an error in the Data Hub today - currently saying zero cases in ICU?

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

:p

Debt of €45,000 per person so far and rising. One of the highest in the world and we're going to unnecccesarily add to this further by pushing back reopening. But that's OK, Tony and Michael will have left the stage by then and won't worry them a wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/delta-variant-delay

Majority will accept anything we have always been to cautious and compliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

Here's a mad idea, its called personal responsibility. Lets open up ta **** on July 5th as was planned. If you're worried or vulnerable don't go into these indoor establishments, but lets face it, if you're worried or vulnerable you're more than likely or certainly very close to being fully vaccinated already, let the rest of us get on with our lives.
    What the hell has this country become :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

Really can't see July 5th happening at this stage. Always the same drip feed through the media before it's confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

This country is a joke. I'm actually so glad I don't live here any more. Going by thread title, 0.1% of the population died despite 5.2% of the population contracting it (and obviously a lot higher due to asymptomatic people, no rigorous testing for months at the start) and it's like a prison camp. Hearing the stories from the lads at home is just wtf territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Surely an error in the Data Hub today - currently saying zero cases in ICU?

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com

Surely a mistake?? If not then….. I’ve no words after that

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

I would happily support any indoor dining or pub that decides to reopen on the 5th, credit to anyone that has the balls to stick to them.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Surely a mistake?? If not then….. I’ve no words after that

Definitely a mistake. It says updated 01/01/1970???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If theres 0 in ICU and we're told we're delaying ill wee all over Michael Martins front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Vicxas wrote: »
    If theres 0 in ICU and we're told we're delaying ill wee all over Michael Martins front door.

There’s 0 in ICU and we are delaying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1409151138012749830

As of midnight, Saturday 26th June, we are reporting
    340*
    confirmed cases of #COVID19.

15 in ICU. 47 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

At least the cases are down again and around the daily average?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TheDoctor wrote: »
    There’s 0 in ICU and we are delaying

15 in ICU

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1409151959223971840?s=19

Advertisement