Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Remember, we need to flatten the curve. Right now it's going downward, so hold firm until it flattens back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Stheno wrote: »

About 3 or 4 days away from a decision and there's absolutely nothing to justify delaying reopening even taken account our overly cautious approach so far.

We can't just have Tony day he's against it, we need it to justified by numbers and modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I think they need to start telling us who is being put into icu and hospitals now! Especially average ages. How many of the people in icu have been there etc. Will give us all a clearer picture as to what has and could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I think they need to start telling us who is being put into icu and hospitals now! Especially average ages. How many of the people in icu have been there etc. Will give us all a clearer picture as to what has and could happen

Should have been done from the very start.

If they had informed people a bit more in-depth of the ages, weight, underlying conditions etc they may have had a lot more of a compliant public.

Not doing so has led to a disgruntled public at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The cyber attack is their nice excuse.
    The last underlying conditions report was mid December.
    Very quick though to send us out a unsubstantiated tweet that 20% of cases are Delta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Stheno wrote: »

15 out of 4,900,000? That's alarming. 0.000003% of the population??

LOCK THE COUNTRY DOWN!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I remember last year it was in single digits and we know how that worked out, anyone scared that another lockdown could happen during the winter again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I remember last year it was in single digits and we know how that worked out, anyone scared that another lockdown could happen during the winter again?

If most of the population is vaccinated before winter then why would there be another lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Says it all really,Why are we delaying opening up

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1409087992191406083?s=19

Who’s this gimp?
    No qualifications it seems

https://twitter.com/dminghella/status/1409060780465704964?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Who’s this gimp?

Is that George Lee under a pseudonym?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Does that make it ok that someone is on whose leaked emails state their aims re a Covid are to increase anxiety & mislead the public and Government?

I am certainly not a fan of ISAG nor RTÉ, but I think Brendan O’Connor has at least tried to have some balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Who’s this gimp?

Like many more on Twitter but it doesn't stop people posting links to the one's they agree with. He's no more qualified on the topic than the Conor quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

15 out of 4,900,000? That's alarming. 0.000003% of the population??

LOCK THE COUNTRY DOWN!
    Says it all really,Why are we delaying opening up

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1409087992191406083?s=19

I'm no virologist but ...:D

Two things to consider

1) Hospital /ICU numbers lag behind infection numbers for several weeks. The low ICU number we're currently looking at are patients that got infected weeks ago. The rising case numbers predict the ICU patients potentially yet to come.

2) The low death rate in the UK probably has little to do with the Delta variant being "harmless" but everything with them being way ahead when it comes to vaccinations.

We were sooo damn close when this delta variant showed up on these shores. Another month or two of vaccinations and I'd say we probably would have been fine ...now I'm not so sure anymore, it's going to be a close-run thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Who’s this gimp?

"If your friend or loved one was among the 18,207 confirmed cases yesterday, don't tell them
    - 1,827 of them will suffer from long Covid, lifetime impact unknown
    - 728 of them will soon go to hospital
    - 73 of them will die"

what sort of wanker would post that?

peasant wrote: »
    I'm no virologist but ...:D

Two things to consider

1) Hospital /ICU numbers lag behind infection numbers for several weeks. The low ICU number we're currently looking at are patients that got infected weeks ago. The rising case numbers predict the ICU patients potentially yet to come.

2) The low death rate in the UK probably has little to do with the Delta variant being "harmless" but everything with them being way ahead when it comes to vaccinations.

We were sooo damn close when this delta variant showed up on these shores. Another month or two of vaccinations and I'd say we probably would have been fine ...now I'm not so sure anymore, it's going to be a close-run thing.

I can support a delay of two weeks although they reallly should have gone with an approach that opened things up for vaccinated. Two weeks delay will mean that 50’s, 60’s and a good chunk of 40’s will be fully vaccinated. A change in strategy re JJ could get many 20s and 30’s well on the way.

The UK took a risk with their vaccination approach. We have a different strategy and we will be ok as a result:

The north administered their 2millionth dose of vaccine today. So as of today the island of Ireland has administered 6million doses of vaccine!! 7 million population

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

IMO the simple reason for the delay is that only 1 in 4 in their 60s are fully vaccinated. More people in their 50s are fully vaccinated. I don't think we'd be having this conversation if the 60s were done. Not saying I support the delay either just saying that's the rational behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    IMO the simple reason for the delay is that only 1 in 4 in their 60s are fully vaccinated. More people in their 50s are fully vaccinated. I don't think we'd be having this conversation if the 60s were done. Not saying I support the delay either just saying that's the rational behind it.

I think you are right . It frightened the life out of them when they realised that much younger cohorts would be fully vaccinated before the 60-69 age group . They are now is a race to correct that faux pas and get them vaccinated asap and wait to open until they are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think you are right . It frightened the life out of them when they realised that much younger cohorts would be fully vaccinated before the 60-69 age group . They are now is a race to correct that faux pas and get them vaccinated asap and wait to open until they are

They are ripping through them now to be fair. Citywest for example vaccinated 8 of the last 10 days doing just AZ. Really looking forward to this statistics update this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Leo again.

Noone will back him up just like last time.

All to scared to go against NHPET.

Leo the leak at it again, all that concerns him is his own image.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

duffman13 wrote: »
    They are ripping through them now to be fair. Citywest for example vaccinated 8 of the last 10 days doing just AZ. Really looking forward to this statistics update this week

Yeh its great . I get text all the time from friends who got their second dose at 8 weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

eagle eye wrote: »
    Leo the leak at it again, all that concerns him is his own image.

Well he's the only one willing to speak out against NPHET.

Whether that's for his image or not he's still doing it.

Why aren't any other politicians willing to do it if its a popular thing to do as you seem to suggest is the reason Leo is doing it?

Because they agree with NHPET?

What's your opinion so if you think Leo is only doing it for his image?

I'm all ears.

Well he's the only one willing to speak up against NPHET.

Whether that's for his image or not he's still doing it.

Why aren't any other politicians willing to do it if its a popular thing to do as you seem to suggest is the reason Leo is doing it?

Because they agree with NHPET?

What's your opinion so if you think Leo is only doing it for his image?

I'm all ears.

Agree.

I am not a fan of Leo. But speaking out against NPHET is actually the hard thing not the easy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

prunudo wrote: »
    Here's a mad idea, its called personal responsibility. Lets open up ta **** on July 5th as was planned. If you're worried or vulnerable don't go into these indoor establishments, but lets face it, if you're worried or vulnerable you're more than likely or certainly very close to being fully vaccinated already, let the rest of us get on with our lives.
    What the hell has this country become :mad:

Or more to the point what has the world become.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Hearing that the offshore islands are vaccinated now. Anybody have the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Agree.

I am not a fan of Leo. But speaking out against NPHET is actually the hard thing not the easy thing.

Not a fan either but strongly suspect we'd be in a better place if FG were still in sole charge. The initial stage of the pandemic was decisive action in both directions. The reopen plan started being delayed once the new government was formed and NPHET's unquestioned authority seemed to grow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

Is there a thread on the vaccine side effects? 6 days since my second dose of Pfizer and still getting headaches. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Knowing that if further relation is delayed, this summer will then slip away and we know that impending winter will be used to see this year out as is.

If the talk begins in after that Ireland still can’t open because the vulnerable will need booster shots will you see the rational in that?

Edit:just realised you said you don’t support it

• Advertisement

In the UK right now, have availed of their vaccination programme. So am used to the assumption that pretty much everyone over 40 now is fully vaccinated

So can someone explain to me how the hell only 1 in 4 Irish over 60s are fully vaccinated? Surely that is not true? If it is, it is a level of incompetence by the medical authorities that simply beggars belief. Can someone explain?

Advertisement