Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Avon8 wrote: »
    You ignored my question last time so i'll ask again, what's your sample size on this? Again i'll reiterate in my case ive been out about a dozen times since reopening with a range of people I hadn't seen in ages, and without fail every single time it gets below about 15 degrees, or the wind starts whipping up, people are itching to be indoors. At that point someone's house that's relatively handy nearby starts being mentioned.

I don't see how anyone with even a passing presence on social media wouldn't have seen the clamour for indoor recently either. And bear in mind we've been pox lucky with the weather recently. Wait until there's widespread wind/rain on a Friday and Saturday night and that desire will be expressed ten-fold

Am I missing something? Where did you ask the question previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Leo V could learn a thing or 2 about mood sensing from this chap lately

I actually think Leo got that , MM is oblivious to the mood out there

You would have to laugh when you hear things like "We want to avoid a situation were it is start/stop".

In Ireland that basically means you don't have to stop if you never start. Or, stay in lockdown so we don't need another lockdown.

If they're pissing themselves over a virus with such a low mortality rate...wait til they get a load of this doozy coming down the tracks.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30921958.html

And not one Pharma company is bothered researching new antibiotics because they cure the issue in two weeks. too much money in statins, antidepressants and bloody pain killers... oh and annual Vaccines!! the last throw of the dice for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

NPET will advise indefinite time for opening on the potential rise of delta, slap in the face for millions vaccinated.
    I did hear Leo say the indefinite word on lunch time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

agoodpunt wrote: »
    NPET will advise indefinite time for opening on the potential rise of delta, slap in the face for millions vaccinated.
    I did hear Leo say the indefinite word on lunch time

Was always the plan to not open up imo. They are just stringing people along.

Can't wait until my holiday in Spain and France in August and leave this kip in my rear view mirror for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You would have to laugh when you hear things like "We want to avoid a situation were it is start/stop".

In Ireland that basically means you don't have to stop if you never start. Or, stay in lockdown so we don't need another lockdown.

Its meaningless waffle anyway. Say Ireland did delay another month under the guise of making sure it didn't have to lock down again later, does anybody really believe that it would actually play out that way?

If they delayed a month, reopened, then there was a rise of cases at winter or when schools reopened they would absolutely shut down again and conveniently ignore the previous "no stop/start" justification. It would never be mentioned in the media and their shills would drown out anybody trying to remind them of their previous promises.

Stay in lockdown to avoid lockdown, its crazy that some people actually believe that ****e and try to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

seamus wrote: »
    What I've been thinking all weekend and what I'm still leaning towards is that indoor will open, but the official guidelines will advise that only fully vaccinated people should be seated indoors, until the end of July at least. Which is a honour system solution; businesses will be obliged to ask, but have no ability to verify. But it's very typical of the way we've been doing things. People will just be trusted to make the right decision.

Sorry had to highlight this part as this is the opposite of what we've been doing. Were told not to use masks as we'd be too stupid to wear them properly. Told not to use antigen tests as we'll use them wrong too e.g. We'll use a negative result to justify going to a house party rather than I need to go to into the office tomorrow, without antigen test I'll go but if I'd taken an antigen test and tested positive I won't go. Policed to stay within 5km of home.

Don't know where you've gotten the impression that they've trusted people to do the right things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Now up to 36.5% fully vaccinated in the 60-69 cohort, according to the ECDC website:

https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#age-group-tab

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think these two things can be true:

Outdoor dining has been very popular and most places are booked out

People still absolutely want indoor dining to open, and businesses need it. Part of the reason everything is booked out is because overall capacity in Dublin for example has to be well below 50% right now with indoors closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

AdamD wrote: »
    I think these two ttdoorhings can be true:

Outdoor dining has been very popular and most places are booked out

People still absolutely want indoor dining to open, and businesses need it. Part of the reason everything is booked out is because overall capacity in Dublin for example has to be well below 50% right now with indoors closed.

Very possible but even with outdoor and indoor open with the expected restrictions like distance etc i don't think there's many places that will be able to offer the same numbers that would have been their previous full 100% capacity prior to the pandemic, so i think we still might see things booked out for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Klonker wrote: »
    Don't know where you've gotten the impression that they've trusted people to do the right things.
    Most of our rules have been without enforcement.

You can exercise for 30 minutes within 2km, 5km, 10km, but we're not really going to check if you're exercising or just arsing about, we're trusting you to do this.

If you test positive, stay at home and don't go anywhere. We won't check, so please don't.

If you arrive in from overseas, please go to the address you gave us and stay there. Please.

Don't have more than X households inside your house or in your garden. Please.

You must only go to essential retailers for essential items. Please.

When you go to a restaurant it cannot be more than two households. We can't enforce this, we're trusting you to do this.

Compared to most other countries, our restrictions have very much been self-policing. No curfews, no complete lockdown, no tokens to go shopping, no tests required to access stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines may provide lifetime protection against COVID-19, a new study suggests.

Researchers found that people who received either of the two-dose shots, which use new messenger RNA (mRNA) technology, had strong and 'persistent' immune responses.

What's more, the vaccines produced high levels of neutralizing antibodies against two variants of the virus.

This could mean that Pfizer and Moderna recipients could have long-lasting immunity - for years or potentially the rest of their lives - and may not even need boosters, reported first by The New York Times.

'It's a good sign for how durable our immunity is from this vaccine,' lead author Dr Ali Ellebedy, an immunologist at Washington University in St Louis told the newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭gral6

seamus wrote: »
    Most of our rules have been without enforcement.

You can exercise for 30 minutes within 2km, 5km, 10km, but we're not really going to check if you're exercising or just arsing about, we're trusting you to do this.

If you test positive, stay at home and don't go anywhere. We won't check, so please don't.

If you arrive in from overseas, please go to the address you gave us and stay there. Please.

Don't have more than X households inside your house or in your garden. Please.

You must only go to essential retailers for essential items. Please.

When you go to a restaurant it cannot be more than two households. We can't enforce this, we're trusting you to do this.

Compared to most other countries, our restrictions have very much been self-policing. No curfews, no complete lockdown, no tokens to go shopping, no tests required to access stores.

...and still we are only country in EU with no indoor dining and with MHQ even for our own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭brickster69

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines may provide lifetime protection against COVID-19, a new study suggests.

Researchers found that people who received either of the two-dose shots, which use new messenger RNA (mRNA) technology, had strong and 'persistent' immune responses.

What's more, the vaccines produced high levels of neutralizing antibodies against two variants of the virus.

This could mean that Pfizer and Moderna recipients could have long-lasting immunity - for years or potentially the rest of their lives - and may not even need boosters, reported first by The New York Times.

'It's a good sign for how durable our immunity is from this vaccine,' lead author Dr Ali Ellebedy, an immunologist at Washington University in St Louis told the newspaper.

Bit of a nightmare if you just signed an agreement a couple of months ago for 1.8 Billion booster shots at 30 Euro a pop.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Bit of a nightmare if you just signed an agreement a couple of months ago for 1.8 Billion booster shots at 30 Euro a pop.

Not sure about the inns and outs of that deal or price you quoted. You hate the EU so its just a dig let's be honest. Your beloved UK has bought more too. A good chunk of those will go on those who got AstraZeneca anyway. Plus the study I quoted only had 14 participants and nothing is conclusive , it says suggests. So don't get too excited just yet.

Not sure about the inns and outs of that deal or price you quoted. You hate the EU so its just a dig let's be honest. Your beloved UK has bought more too. A good chunk of those will go on those who got AstraZeneca anyway. Plus the study I quoted only had 14 participants and nothing is conclusive , it says suggests. So don't get too excited just yet.

You have to admit it's funny though. They order late for the first tranche of vaccines and then order too early for the boosters. Easy to see how the German army ended up with broomsticks instead of rifles.

Never laughed so much :D:D

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

You have to admit it's funny though. They order late for the first tranche of vaccines and then order too early for the boosters. Easy to see how the German army ended up with broomsticks instead of rifles.

Never laughed so much :D:D

Yous could have done with some of those broomsticks when yous fled Dunkirk with your tails between your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

They purchased capacity. EU countries are free to take up that option for themselves, but they can also resell on the doses etc... So nothing will go to waste, unless countries worldwide stop using Pfizer.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    They purchased capacity. EU countries are free to take up that option for themselves, but they can also resell on the doses etc... So nothing will go to waste, unless countries worldwide stop using Pfizer.

Who is going to buy 1.8 billion vaccines at 30 euro a pop when they can get a good one for 3 euro and a one dose one for 7 euro :D

They will be on ebay soon enough.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Do you lads reckon we will see big wedding again any time soon ,
    Even by next summer its not looking likely is it considering you can't even have a meal indoors this one by yourself ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Is there a link anywhere for that study

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-debt-will-be-close-to-quarter-of-trillion-by-year-end-donohoe-warns-1.4605860?mode=amp

Like a number I'd say as child that I thought didn't even exist

Can be rolled over
    Negative interest rates

Nothing to see here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

shinzon wrote: »
    Is there a link anywhere for that study

Shin

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03738-2

Potential long-term protection, especially if you've contracted the virus in the past and then received two shots of the mRNA vaccine. They do say that those with weakened immune systems and the elderly may still need boosters and this is all depending on no major change to the virus make up through mutation.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any word on hospital numbers today?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any word on hospital numbers today?

49 at 8am
    16 in iCU

Should be a drop this evening after the usual Monday discharges

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Who is going to buy 1.8 billion vaccines at 30 euro a pop when they can get a good one for 3 euro and a one dose one for 7 euro :D

They will be on ebay soon enough.

Not sure where you're getting the €30 price from, it's €19.50 a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Stheno wrote: »
    49 at 8am
    16 in iCU

Should be a drop this evening after the usual Monday discharges

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

I’ll never understand why they can’t discharge people at the weekends! You’ve the examiner running a headline stating the rise in icu and hospital numbers as government ponders on delaying the reopening of indoor hospitality

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I’ll never understand why they can’t discharge people at the weekends! You’ve the examiner running a headline stating the rise in icu and hospital numbers as government ponders on delaying the reopening of indoor hospitality

There has been a rise in ICU alright

Advertisement