Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

"could" last.. that's like saying Deaths are "LINKED" to something.

I'd be more concerned with how the countries are deviating from the original clinical trials every other day by spreading out time between jabs or mixing the MRNA jab with a AZ jab and so on. Trials are ideally done on healthy individuals with an ideal profile and then the data is collected etc. Taking all of these drugs and weaving a mix and match pattern based on how many you bought and are stuck with coupled with advice from NIAC, is very odd.

So now you've someone whose morbidly obese, with high blood pressure and other underlying conditions and they're getting a Vaccine in such a way that runs contrary to how the trials were carried out. Of course we'll never really see all the full trial results as has happened in the past.
    The Cochrane group were reported as being highly reputable by Stephen Donnelly on news talk before anyone fires an antivax shot across the bow.

https://pharmaphorum.com/news/uncovered-tamiflu-shows-the-drug-doesn-t-work-says-cochrane/

https://theconversation.com/the-flu-vaccine-is-being-oversold-its-not-that-effective-97688

https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3948/rapid-responses
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/09/ministers-lose-fight-to-stop-payouts-in-swine-flu-jab-narcolepsy-cases

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Stheno wrote: »
    There has been a rise in ICU alright

Yeah but does it deserve a headline? It’s modest at 3, now I’d say something if it was like 10+…. And you had the echo front page this morning full blown Gerry Killeen the world is ending as the main headline

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Seems due to the delta varient there's a lot of extra restrictions being placed on travel from the UK into several EU countries and direct flights from Britain into Hong Kong have been suspended.

Hopefully we don't get lumped in with same restrictions due to the open travel arrangements across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Seems due to the delta varient there's a lot of extra restrictions being placed on travel from the UK into several EU countries and direct flights from Britain into Hong Kong have been suspended.

Hopefully we don't get lumped in with same restrictions due to the open travel arrangements across the border.

Except we're signed up to the EU Covid Cert, which is a significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

seamus wrote: »
    Most of our rules have been without enforcement.

You can exercise for 30 minutes within 2km, 5km, 10km, but we're not really going to check if you're exercising or just arsing about, we're trusting you to do this.

If you test positive, stay at home and don't go anywhere. We won't check, so please don't.

If you arrive in from overseas, please go to the address you gave us and stay there. Please.

Don't have more than X households inside your house or in your garden. Please.

You must only go to essential retailers for essential items. Please.

When you go to a restaurant it cannot be more than two households. We can't enforce this, we're trusting you to do this.

Compared to most other countries, our restrictions have very much been self-policing. No curfews, no complete lockdown, no tokens to go shopping, no tests required to access stores.

Interesting logic

They could and did fine people for many of those examples you just gave

But because not everyone was fined it was ok, a bit like the old school of thought that we don’t need insurance to drive, we only need it to crash

Also restaurants were closed for months? Relaxed enforcement is great if the place is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Except we're signed up to the EU Covid Cert, which is a significant difference.

Hopefully they should be able to plug that straight into the vaccine portal. Seems like it should be easy enough to build in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭brickster69

Crazy comparison

Germany 108 cases 5 deaths
    UK 22,868 cases 3 deaths

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

rusty cole wrote: »
    "could" last.. that's like saying Deaths are "LINKED" to something.
    I'm curious... what's your objection to "linked"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,379 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What's happening in Waterford, 50 new Delta variant cases

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Crazy comparison

Germany 108 cases 5 deaths
    UK 22,868 cases 3 deaths

It’s beginning to look like while the vaccines may reduce the rate of hospitalisation and deaths, they don’t seem to be having as much of an effect on transmission.
    I was watching the Andrew Marr show on the Beeb yesterday and he explained that he was missing the previous week because he had caught a “nasty” dose of Covid despite the fact that he was double-jabbed. I wonder how many of the daily cases in the UK are similar to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There are probably some people who were well enough to be discharged being kept in till after a government decision, big drop in hospital numbers next week.

So how does this work? The Dept of Health inform hospitals to keep patients in hospital until govt says otherwise? Ya i can see that happening easily enough, lot of people need to be in on the conspiracy though, ya perfectly reasonable :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What's happening in Waterford, 50 new Delta variant cases

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It’s beginning to look like while the vaccines may reduce the rate of hospitalisation and deaths, they don’t seem to be having as much of an effect on transmission.
    I was watching the Andrew Marr show on the Beeb yesterday and he explained that he was missing the previous week because he had caught a “nasty” dose of Covid despite the fact that he was double-jabbed. I wonder how many of the daily cases in the UK are similar to that.

how do you explain the reduction in cases in Europe coinciding with vaccination programs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is that just today? It would be over a third of todays cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There are probably some people who were well enough to be discharged being kept in till after a government decision, big drop in hospital numbers next week.

Have we not passed this type of conspiracy nonsense at this stage?

Is that just today? It would be over a third of todays cases?

Didn't see the actual broadcast, so couldn't tell you what time period we're talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

gral6 wrote: »
    It looks like, no indoor dining till summer 2022!

Ah here!! Where are you getting this from, any links.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

how do you explain the reduction in cases in Europe coinciding with vaccination programs?

Maybe because in the EU they mainly used Pfizer. In the UK they mostly used AZ. It’s curious that the daily infection figures do not include any indication of how many vaccinated people are getting infected and which vaccine they had. If the AZ vaccine is proving much less effective at preventing infection, we should know the figures!
    I realise that those figures might be politically sensitive in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Ah here!! Where are you getting this from, any links.

Don’t be minding that sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

seamus wrote: »
    Gotta say, outside of boards I'm not seeing a particularly large thirst for opening casual indoor stuff. Weddings & events, yes, training, etc.

But just rocking up to a pub/restaurant and sitting inside? Not really.

The permanently terrified on Twitter making comparisons to Xmas reopening, people I've talked to in person saying, "I won't sit inside if I have the choice". There are a number of posters here talking about losing the plot and protesting if it doesn't open, but from what I can see they're the minority.

What I've been thinking all weekend and what I'm still leaning towards is that indoor will open, but the official guidelines will advise that only fully vaccinated people should be seated indoors, until the end of July at least. Which is a honour system solution; businesses will be obliged to ask, but have no ability to verify. But it's very typical of the way we've been doing things. People will just be trusted to make the right decision.

Sadly I must agree with you. We have been infected with the fear. And it will take some time do undo that if ever fully possible,

I am experiencing it first hand. Last week my partner had an afternoon/evening out with a handful of friends. All in their 50s, second dose a month ago without exception. When outdoor dining closed as the night drew in they came to the house for a few more. Where they then sat on the patio with jackets and blankets as they weren't ready yet to sit inside.

I didnt say anything as I have to respect that and generally I dont think having covid spats with your partner would be in any way helpful. But its shameful what we have done and continue to do to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Sadly I must agree with you. We have been infected with the fear. And it will take some time do undo that if ever fully possible,

I am experiencing it first hand. Last week my partner had an afternoon/evening out with a handful of friends. All in their 50s, second dose a month ago without exception. When outdoor dining closed as the night drew in they came to the house for a few more. Where they then sat on the patio with jackets and blankets as they weren't ready yet to sit inside.

I didnt say anything as I have to respect that and generally I dont think having covid spats with your partner would be in any way helpful. But its shameful what we have done and continue to do to the people.

I heard a consultant on with Brendan O'Connor at the weekend, he was either a
    geriatrician or gerontologist and I admit it hadn't registered with me before but he said if you are fully vaccinated, that is the safest you are going to be so (paraphrasing here) you need to start living your life again. That was directed at the elderly who have been cocooning but I presume it is good advice for everyone. Easy to say when you aren't in a vulnerable group I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭gral6

RTE said that some of NPHETs modelling are very pessimistic. It tells you already a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

RTE said that some of NPHETs modelling are very pessimistic. It tells you already a lot.

That they are wrong again?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,379 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Where did you see that?

Virgin Media News just heard part so may have picked up wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭gral6

TheDoctor wrote: »
    That they are wrong again?

No, NPHET are always correct! Especially when it comes to snakes oil.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jesus wait til they see the modelling for the future of hospitality in many parts of Ireland. It’ll make the Delta “modelling” look optimistic

Hopefully they’ve recalibrated their modelling from when they projected 9500 cases per day this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

No, NPHET are always correct! Especially when it comes to snakes oil.

They were right in December
    When People were saving the Exact same things

Yes we should be re-allowing indoor dining with how things stand.

But NpHET have been on the money almost every time

Advertisement