Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jakiah wrote: »
    But we are miles behind the UK with reopening, how would we be following them?
    Whatever about re-opening, we're miles behind them in vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

as many as can be administered before that date

Why that date ? And not this date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

'Mix and match' jabs study finds combination of Oxford and Pfizer vaccines creates robust immune response

"People who have been double-dosed with the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine could have a stronger immune response if they were given a different jab as a booster, a leading scientist has said.

Professor Matthew Snape from the Oxford Vaccine Group said the "mix and match" approach may result in additional protection against coronavirus. He made the comments following the results of a clinical trial comparing the current UK strategy of giving two doses of either the AstraZeneca or Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines against a combination of the two jabs.

Results showed people who received the AstraZeneca vaccine first, followed four weeks later by a Pfizer dose, produced antibody levels nine times higher than those given two doses of the Oxford jab"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Micheal Lehane
    NPHET advice described as “very sobering” in regards to the potential impact of the delta variant

Id say that all but confirms a delay announcement tomorrow.

Shin

Why that date ? And not this date ?

Because that the date at which there is no point in restrictions any more. As the country with which we share a land border released all restrictions, including mask wearing and social distancing. But until that point I think that it’s probably defensible to maximise our protection against that.

3 weeks from now and it’s all over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

shinzon wrote: »
    Micheal Lehane

Shin

We may tell the rest of Europe our expert's as always accurate projections. I'm sure they'll all follow suit and close their indoor dining and pubs and even nightclubs in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Because that the date at which there is no point in restrictions any more. As the country with which we share a land border released all restrictions, including mask wearing and social distancing. But until that point I think that it’s probably defensible to maximise our protection against that.

It is important that comes across and that it's not just another wait and see date. That certainty that hospitality are looking for will be needed for the rest of the economy very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

There's been a significant difference in restrictions between NI and here for months now. Even if NI drop all restrictions in 3 weeks, I would be shocked if the government followed even a month after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Micheal Lehane

Shin

Thursday you mean?

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Thursday you mean?
    No, Martin has said they will announce tomorrow. Cabinet meeting in an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, Martin has said they will announce tomorrow.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Shin
    Probably.

Restricting indoors dining to vaccinated people would be a very sensible compromise, but we are too precious to do that. Not sure what you can do to protect staff however.

If the modelling says that increased indoors activity would potentially lead to overwhelmed hospitals the government has no choice. It's been very disappointing to see politicians and other influential figures suggesting otherwise.

Hopefully we have some sort of weekly update of the models now, as the point isn't far away where we will be able to safely reopen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hmmm wrote: »
    Probably.

Restricting indoors dining to vaccinated people would be a very sensible compromise, but we are too precious to do that. Not sure what you can do to protect staff however.

If the modelling says that increased indoors activity would potentially lead to overwhelmed hospitals the government has no choice. It's been very disappointing to see politicians and other influential figures suggesting otherwise.

Hopefully we have some sort of weekly update of the models now, as the point isn't far away where we will be able to safely reopen.

How do you explain this though?

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1409593538791325698?s=19

Stheno wrote: »
    That generalised indoor dining will not happen just yet? People would be known at a wedding.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That generalised indoor dining will not happen just yet? People would be known at a wedding.

50 people could literally be 20 households indoors for hours on end?

Stheno wrote: »
    50 people could literally be 20 households indoors for hours on end?
    Sure, but they are known individuals and it would be like a giant bubble. A restaurant could have that many and more, each day. I'm just explaining BTW. I'd rather see it all open next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Probably.

Yeah, RIP all the staff dropping like flies working with indoor dining and drinking in hotels.

If the models (of hospitalisations) say we can reopen we should be reopening. If they say we can't, we can't. I see this as a very binary thing.

You can say the models are crap, but they are all we have and we have to base our decisions on something. The government ignored the models at Christmas, and they turned out to actually underestimate what would happen.

I'm hoping tomorrow to see a set of very boring slides talking about models, and no faffing around with anything else. Once we're at the point where the models show we can safely reopen I can't think of a reason why we wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Well, they are at under 50% in vaccinations and they can see how Europe and the US are doing so it's not all that surprising.

They are actually ahead of Ireland and most of Europe in vaccinations. 50% is of the total population.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeah, RIP all the staff dropping like flies working with indoor dining and drinking in hotels.
    In fairness, my point was that even if we reopened indoors to vaccinated people, we'd also have to consider what the impact would be on staff. I wasn't dismissing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So NIAC are saying Aztra can be given to under 40s, and also with the 2 doses only 4 weeks apart.

That's some change. Is it based on vaccine data, or political persuasion?

Irish Times suggesting it could help with keeping July 5th or thereabouts..

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Lot of people dont care anymore and have made lifestyle and carreer adjustments.
    Most rural towns have backdoor access to local bars for those who want
    The new normal will be dictated by our health service resource no more waiting on trollies offset with restrictions.
    I am not totally uneffected when i am here in ireland but I do appreciate freedoms outside ireland always was, we just accept to much state interferience what is in govt is even worse in opp bench.
    Major urban centers will degrade and airlines will provide less service ticket prices will rise for sure, UK will give access to longhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Would be irrational to open indoor dining at this stage for a number of reasons.

Healthcare system not functioning properly due to a cypher attack.
    2 Dose vaccinations in the 60-70 age not at a high enough percentage.
    Europeans countries are likely to bring in retrictions soo, its expected .
    Acting quickly now will make living with this new variant more sustainable in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

In fairness, my point was that even if we reopened indoors to vaccinated people, we'd also have to consider what the impact would be on staff. I wasn't dismissing them.

What about the hospitality staff everywhere else in the EU? Are you saying every other country doesn't care about them?

VG31 wrote: »
    What about the hospitality staff everywhere else in the EU? Are you saying every other country doesn't care about them?
    That's their problem, I'm not going to be comfortable eating or drinking indoors unless I felt the staff were happy to be there.

In saying that once I'm vaccinated I'd be happy to eat indoors. We have the opposite problem from last year where many people (fully vaccinated) are actually over-estimating the risk from Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Sorry now everyone but NPHET ARE A FÛCKING JOKE!!! Playing and toying with peoples livelihoods! Enough is enough! If anyone agrees with NPHET ye are just as bad. It’s a power trip and the government are cowards!

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1409605857977962497?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Sorry now everyone but NPHET ARE A FÛCKING JOKE!!! Playing and toying with peoples livelihoods! Enough is enough! If anyone agrees with NPHET ye are just as bad. It’s a power trip and the government are cowards!

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1409605857977962497?s=21

“They are predicting an increase in deaths and hospitalisations,” said a senior source. “It is very alarming.”

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/nphet-warns-delta-variant-could-infect-thousands-per-day-in-august-leading-to-a-peak-of-deaths-40591171.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

wadacrack wrote: »
    “They are predicting an increase in deaths and hospitalisations,” said a senior source. “It is very alarming.”

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/nphet-warns-delta-variant-could-infect-thousands-per-day-in-august-leading-to-a-peak-of-deaths-40591171.html

The deaths at their peak has to be fiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Ah well. Fcuk it anyway.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

So, it seems indoor dining will be allowed to all who are fully vaccinated - presumably you'd show your HSE card?

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1409604121657815045

Advertisement