Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

hmmm wrote: »

You read all this yes? A faster spread a lower mortality rate v Alpha (.3%v2%)

The less fatal more transmissible variant we've all had on our wish list for a while
    Over 41% fully vaccinated and 67% with one dose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Your numbers are nonsense. Look at a chart for cases in any country, peaks last a couple of days and fall off just as quickly as the rise.
    Because of lockdowns and restrictions.

Unless you're talking about the "natural" rise and fall of cases in India, but I don't want to be trying to buy black-market oxygen if it turns out their figures for deaths turn out to have been completely false and not in any way suppressed for political purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

NPHET's worst case scenario over 3 months is 2,170 deaths , and the best case is 165. For case numbers the range is from 700,000 to 81,000. If their "models" give such a wide range of outcomes they are worthless: it would be more honest to say "we don't know".

Can you imagine if the typical Met Eireann forecast was that tomorrow's maximum temperature will be between 5c and 30c, and rainfall somewhere 0 and 500mm, do you think anyone would ever pay a blind bit of attention to weather forecasts?

There is too much belief in the infallibility of medics. I would trust them when it comes to treating my illness, but when it comes to statistical modelling I would give more credence to the hospital janitor.

Don't forget that all of this outrage and rightly so, incredulity about numbers is based on media reports .
    As of yet we don't really know what was said and how they came to their conclusions.
    Let's wait and see .
    The media have been known to cause ructions before .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AdamD wrote: »
    The result of the model is loopy, I'm not sure we need to know what loopy input got them to this point in order to judge it.

We don't even know what the result is. They do multiple scenarios and the media only have leaks. There's simply not enough details to know if anything is loopy yet.

Other than the inkling we may not like the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If you're happy to go back into lockdown for a few months if cases explode it's nonsense yes. I'm not, we had to put up with this "ignore NPHET and reopen!" bull**** in December and it cost us a fortune as a consequence.

We had 8,000 cases at peak in January, having risen from 200 cases in December. A virus isn't going to "level out" by itself until it infects everyone it can find who is susceptible. If we had not imposed restrictions in January we'd have easily hit several hundred thousand additional cases.

I'd like us to come out of the current one at some stage this year, preferably some time this summer or over the next few weeks.

Your post seems to suggest there will be a transmission chain unbroken between people. The vaccines work and are reducing serious illness and death while limiting spread.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Simple question, if NPHET are publishing a modelling outcome where Ireland fairs much worse than applying Indias worst case mortality rate per capita over a sustained two month period, can you trust any NPHET model?

Simple question, if ......?

duffman13 wrote: »
    You read all this yes? A faster spread a lower mortality rate v Alpha (.3%v2%)

The less fatal more transmissible variant we've all had on our wish list for a while
    Over 41% fully vaccinated and 67% with one dose
    It's not less fatal (or at least that hasn't been proven). It's infecting groups who are less likely to die because we have vaccinated those at greater risk, and so the mortality appears to be decreasing if you look at the raw numbers.

We know that Delta spreads faster (c. 40%). There is some data suggesting that it may lead to greater levels of hospitalisation, but that hasn't been proven yet and may turn out to be incorrect. I've seen no reliable statistics on death rates by age, it hasn't been around long enough.

marno21 wrote: »
    This thread is giving me a headache.

We’ve steadily opened up since April and there has been no increase in cases. Cases in vaccinated people have collapsed, there is a handful of people in hospital and the level of risk involved here is much much lower than before.

We’re now seriously considering destroying large swathes of the Irish economy because models, which have been thoroughly disproven in recent months, show a potential surge which hasn’t happened in several other countries with similar profiles of vaccination and have undergone similar reopenings over recent months.

This country is on a knife edge. A government terrified of making adult decisions deferring decisions which have life changing consequences over to a single issue motley crew of medics. It’s genuinely bizarre how ok the population is with what’s going on.

Remember Dr Glynn claiming a couple of weeks ago that we must not rely on models and only real world data counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Simple question, if ......?

It's being reported by political correspondants in broadsheets, it's not a barstool Chinese whisper

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't care for them lumping in single doses with no vaccination in the report and the rise in projected cases seems a bit too steep but at least it's some sort of potential model. It seems odd though that vaccines don't seem to impact it much even if restriction easings are delayed for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

53 people under the age of 44 have died from covid from March last year to May this year. 20 people have died under the age of 34. I think it's fair to assume most of these would have had serious underlying conditions and people on similar situations would be fully vaccinated now. Where are they getting their 2000+ deaths from?

All of this reopening sh1t could have been avoided weeks ago if we'd agreed a protocol for fully vaccinated to indoor dine and drink. Instead we dithered on that and it's potentially come back to bite us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

These projections steep sending out a message that vaccination is pointless.

Something very significant needs to happen in the next 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why did we rely on grouped thinking to use vaccines but will not rely on the same common approach to opening the place back up?

We'd have to look at the modelling assumptions to figure that out I'd say. We're doing 50,000 vaccines a day, it's a huge number. Despite what was said above I don't see what has changed about the inside of a pub in July which makes it so much less likely to spread Covid than we saw in December, and back then we went from 200 cases a day to 8,000 in less than a month.

It's pretty clear that the medics are looking to buy some extra time, and it's going to be difficult (and I think reckless) for politicians to disagree with them.

But you have no proof that the inside of pubs caused 8k cases a day in January. There was practically no Co tact tracing carried out as the system collapsed long before we got to that figure. Comparing opening indoor in December and the same in July is a strange one and I don't see the similarities at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's not less fatal (or at least that hasn't been proven). It's infecting groups who are less likely to die because we have vaccinated those at greater risk, and so the mortality appears to be decreasing if you look at the raw numbers.

We know that Delta spreads faster (c. 40%). There is some data suggesting that it may lead to greater levels of hospitalisation, but that hasn't been proven yet and may turn out to be incorrect. I've seen no reliable statistics on death rates by age, it hasn't been around long enough.

Honestly, I'm tired and need sleep. At the end of the day, we are in a privileged position with our nearest neighbours being about 6 weeks ahead. This gives us time to react, plan and be agile. None of the above in the ECDC report is actually accurate, its projection based and a Conservative slant. NPHETs modelling is actually more conservative than the ECDCs worst case which is crazy

I'd recommend having a listen to Paul Moyna on Pat Kenny this morning. Very middle of the road expert sounding a cautionary note while also highlighting some of the things we could do to help a return to normality.

Turtwig wrote: »
    All of this reopening sh1t could have been avoided weeks ago if we'd agreed a protocol for fully vaccinated to indoor dine and drink. Instead we dithered on that and it's potentially come back to bite us.

Only vaccinated people or would you add in those with a negative rapid test or recently recovered as well?

ixoy wrote: »
    It seems odd though that vaccines don't seem to impact it much even if restriction easings are delayed for months.
    It's a bit of a head-scratcher alright. But just because I don't understand the modelling, doesn't mean I feel qualified to say they are wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And who would of served the fully vaccinated people?

M

You would fast track them like the HSE staff.

• Advertisement

If NPHET allowed antigen testing it could of been done, not without.

You would fast track them like the HSE staff.

Jaysus everyone would be classifying themselves as hospitality workers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

So what, a big 2 fingers to everyone 35 and under who are still waiting for their vaccine?

Ah yeah, sure we're used to it already

It's a bit of a head-scratcher alright. But just because I don't understand the modelling, doesn't mean I feel qualified to say they are wrong...

Either Ireland is wrong or the rest of the world is wrong. Which is more likely? Delta isn't exclusive to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

We didn’t dither - it’s a disgusting concept and hopefully we continue to reject it. To bar people who were never at any risk, whilst the vaccinated vulnerable that they were told to protect get freedom. F that. (I’m fully vaccinated, but I’d join protests against vaccine apartheid)

JRant wrote: »
    Only vaccinated people or would you add in those with a negative rapid test or recently recovered as well?

That's a tough one. I don't know how previous infections and rapid tests work for delta. I'd probably follow Israel during their reopening phase months ago. Not fully vaccinated; no entry.

It's no where near ideal. At least this offers the businesses a chance to re-open - and they could have done so weeks ago!

M

Jaysus everyone would be classifying themselves as hospitality workers!!!!

Revenue would have their employment category already captured, no need to contact NASA to calculate it.

Staff with the appropriate PPE and procedures.

That's a tough one. I don't know how previous infections and rapid tests work for delta. I'd probably follow Israel during their reopening phase months ago. Not fully vaccinated; no entry.

It's no where near ideal. At least this offers the businesses a chance to re-open - and they could have done so weeks ago!

Who would work in these businesses that could of opened weeks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

Simple question, if NPHET are publishing a modelling outcome where Ireland fairs much worse than applying Indias worst case mortality rate per capita over a sustained two month period, can you trust any NPHET model?

The question doesn't make sense. All we know from India is that they had a lot of cases, and now they have fewer cases than they had before. It's unlikely their numbers are exact enough that they should be used in any kind of modeling in Ireland.

Advertisement