Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I am surprised that people are surprised by this. NPHET have absolutely zero interest in removing any of the big restrictions like pubs, nightclubs, big events, foreign travel etc. And government won't go against NPHET.

And they are SO predictable at this point. Many of us knew they'd call for a delay because of the delta variant and then mention the schools reopening and then they'll be looking for caution over winter. I could write the script for the year right now.

What we really need now is some help from Europe. Lets get an overseas medical team in to give us some honest advice based on science and data.

I don't think we've ever interacted but I must apologise for my previous comments nonetheless - I was a believer that we'd be in an absolutely brilliant place by now. End of June and we're worse than this time last year, despite 4 million vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I don't think we've ever interacted but I must apologise for my previous comments nonetheless - I was a believer that we'd be in an absolutely brilliant place by now. End of June and we're worse than this time last year, despite 4 million vaccines.

Fair play, a very rare sight to see indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

So what's worse? The cure or the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

tommybrees wrote: »

NPHET are the virus

Pints or food in a room apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The cure is fine, vaccines aren't an issue, the restrictions and the unelected medical bureaucrats unwilling to cede power are the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Tony gets his revenge for South William Street that night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has the letter from NPHET to the Government been published? I would like to read it myself.

How will this indoor dining for vaccinated people only work? To me it makes little sense. So only people mid-40s upwards plus vulnerable plus HCWs can dine indoors. What about anyone under 40? What about families with kids?
    Are they going to be looking for the paper card as proof of vaccination?

It also makes little sense when anyone staying in a hotel can dine indoors. The virus can't tell the difference between a hotel and a stand-alone restaurant.

What about all the other indoor activities? Is it that they are still masked indoors and dining can't be ?

Will they delay non-essential International Travel past July 19th ?
    If they do, will it only be until mid-August (6 weeks after DCC becomes operational) ?

I have followed all the restrictions since the beginning of this Pandemic and I had been hopeful of the Vaccines even with our slow and confusing Rollout but this morning I just feel exhausted from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Just from what I'm seeing online I really think the population at large will be mostly on board with holding off on indoor dining for "just a few more weeks". It's not even grudging acceptance either. "Sure things are grand now. What's a few more weeks anyway" seems to be the general attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Absolutely ridiculous if the government go ahead with the recommendations from NPHET. Apparently there has been no independent review of their models.

I was cautious before the vaccine roll but now NPHET need to be put back in their box.

For the life of me I don't understand why NPHET given so much airtime. We, the public, shouldn't even know who NPHET personnel are, they should be sitting in the background providing the government with information to make an informed decision on what to do next. Along with economic advisers, local business advisors etc. Our CMO is at celebrity status at this stage.

What we're down to now is risk management. Risk appetite needs to be defined, at the moment the risk appetite is zero. From a business sense, if you operate this way you'll eventually go out of business. Every single person or institution operates with some level of risk.

Two week delay - joke - there will be further delays...
    Pubs and Restaurants for fully vaccinated - ridiculous and virtually impossible to implement...

I feel really bad for the pub and restaurant owners, they must feel absolutely abandoned at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

VinLieger wrote: »
    How the fvck is all of europe open and we are talking about pushing this out by weeks?

Europe has been mostly open since May/June 2020, with some regional restrictions implemented for short time periods as cases levels/hospitalisations because unmanageable in certain regions

We’ve lagged behind Europe ever since, always being the most suppressed nation, this is not a new development

People woke up to NPHET’s lies and realise 2021 is a write off for hospitality, aviation and all associated industries, in Europe’s most indebted country, and hopefully people also realise this wasn’t the first time NPHET’s modelling was inaccurate or misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

we are going to look back on this as a tragedy in years to come

Because people had to wai till August (or whenever) rather than June to go out for a meal?

Because people had to wai till August (or whenever) rather than June to go out for a meal?

A very reductive argument.

Seriously - this is beyond dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

This is way beyond dining now and you know it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

No because we totally obliterated our economy due to NPHET’s use of continued lockdowns as a primary control measure for covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So just to get this straight, the Delta variant is more resistent to vaccines, which means yet again it's the older and more vulnerable who are most at risk from it, not young, healthy adults, yet it's the former we want to allow to dine indoors amongst each other.

Great logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

All that is left are snide comments and a hand waving away of what are becoming very serious concerns over who is steering the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

statto25 wrote: »
    This is way beyond dining now and you know it

I have no real interest in going out for dinner or pints, even if everything opened I probably wouldn't be booking anything... But, I do think it is ridiculous at this late stage that they are now talking of a vaccine passport after months of saying we would not be doing this.

Today might be a day that NPHET lose the goodwill of a large portion of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The post seemed to refer specifically to the hospitality situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Are we ever going to have a conversation on "living with Covid"? It's not going away - it's an endemic virus now. Is Irish society capable of having such a conversation? Lockdowns/restrictions/economic implosion is not a viable strategy long term or even medium term but this is where we are continuously.

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    So just to get this straight, the Delta variant is more resistent to vaccines, which means yet again it's the older and more vulnerable who are most at risk from it, not young, healthy adults, yet it's the former we want to allow to dine indoors amongst each other.

Great logic.

Do you have data to support this?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Are we ever going to have a conversation on "living with Covid"? It's not going away - it's an endemic virus now. Is Irish society capable of having such a conversation? Lockdowns/restrictions/economic implosion is not a viable strategy long term or even medium term but this is where we are continuously.

Anyone remotely suggesting it in the last year was dismissed as a quack or an unqualified attention seeker, especially online anyway.

We need to understand and evaluate risk, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

The worse case scenario assumes a 2% hospitalization rate (12k/680k) despite the ever increasing number of people vaccinated.
    Does anyone recall what the rate was in the pre vaccine days? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

We're just being strung along at this stage. What is the actual plan? We've stopped the hospitals from being overwhelmed with covid patients, pretty much all the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated. We've a huge uptake of the vaccines across all age groups as far as I can tell.

But it still isn't enough, does anybody know what will be enough?

nc6000 wrote: »
    We're just being strung along at this stage. What is the actual plan? We've stopped the hospitals from being overwhelmed with covid patients, pretty much all the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated. We've a huge uptake of the vaccines across all age groups as far as I can tell.

But it still isn't enough, does anybody know what will be enough?

There is no endgame. It's just an ongoing cycle of doom and gloom predictions from NPHET and delay indoor hospitality indefinitely. It's what happened all through last year and here we are again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Clare Byrne on defending the indefensible in Philip Nolan’s dodgy maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Clare Byrne on defending the indefensible in Philip Nolan’s dodgy maths.

She's a clown. If NPHET said we'd all die if we opened indoor she'd defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

namloc1980 wrote: »

We are going to live with covid. There is no choice in that now. It's really a question of what level we'd be comfortable with. Personally I want the thing under control to something like measles or mumps. Where we have outbreaks but we can quickly control. Right now an outbreak without social distancing and masks could cripple us. With more and more people vaccinated that picture gradually changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can actually write the script for the rest of the year, its absolutely farcical at this stage.
    Whey didn't we open our indoor dining earlier in the year with a vaccine passport if its an option now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The worse case scenario assumes a 2% hospitalization rate (12k/680k) despite the ever increasing number of people vaccinated.
    Does anyone recall what the rate was in the pre vaccine days? Thanks.
    Tracking it is quite difficult as the rate changes over time. Our total hospitalisation rate is 5.7%.

At the spike of our last wave (week 1-2 2021), there were 49,900 new cases recorded and 1,199 admissions to hospital that week. That's a hospitalisation rate of 2.6%.

At a time when nobody was vaccinated and half the country had gone to see their elderly relatives in the previous 21 days.

So yes, that 2% figure seems insane in context.

Advertisement